Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: HID Conversion

Go down 
+57
firefighter
Jimdangello
Mattwa
denim
RivieraParadise
2000ws6transam
GM FIEND
LT1Squirrel
Rizz01
tanyue123
Jayrydingslab
BigRay1125
nebstewart07
95rivy
7901mark
TheNewEra95
Derek
flyineagle96
KillaKeninaRiv
Abaddon
ZEP
VJD2
BrianEsser
DEMonte1997
GMFreak8
nigelf
97 park ave
Eldo
robotennis61
Ryan from Ohio
96RIVMANN
Rickw
texasfan010
Snowdog
L8-2BNGO
L67
EatDirtFartDust
deekster_caddy
manofmany
Shintsu
Natesriv
TonySmooth89
Mr.Riviera
T Riley
albertj
IBx1
'96reese
palermocorey90
jax95riv
SpaceBar
RhinoFLA
NO 4 EVR
AA
turtleman
CeeKay
61 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
AuthorMessage
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 17 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 17 EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 9:33 am

GM FIEND wrote:
Hi guys im new to the forum im 24 and i jus bought my 3rd rivy but anyway i wantef to put sum 6k hids in it my question is since i have daytime running lights do i need to purchase a relay harness along with the kit? My rivy is a 98

Yes, the DRL's are through the High Beams (half voltage). No need for the relay harness as long as you buy digital ballasts. Just plug right in to the factory headlight plug.
Back to top Go down
GM FIEND
Rookie
GM FIEND

Name : GM FIEND
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 17 EmptyWed Nov 02, 2011 7:08 pm

HEY GUYS ME AGAIN IVE JUS RECEIVED MY HIDS IMMA INSTALL THEM THIS WEEKEND BUT I WANTED TO PUT HALO LIGHTS IN MY RIVY AND OF COURSE NO ONE HAS HALOS FOR THE 8TH GENERATION RIVY SO I WANTED TO KNO WAS THERE A WAY TO REMOVE THE LENSE ON MY HEADLIGHTS? SO I CAN INSTALL A HALO RING IN THEM....... THIS IS WHAT I WAS GONNA USE!! I APPRECIATE YALL HELP SO MUCH THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!! http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-Car-Angel-Eye-Light-Headlight-CCFL-Halo-Ring-90mm-/190573668728?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item2c5f136978#ht_2370wt_1270
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

Name : ILAN
Merit : 69

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 17 EmptyWed Nov 02, 2011 8:30 pm

I believe I heard there was a way to remove the lens. If you can pull this off, I think it'll look great with one halo per side.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 17 EmptyWed Nov 02, 2011 9:08 pm

Heat gun. See page 9.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
GM FIEND
Rookie
GM FIEND

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 17 EmptyWed Nov 02, 2011 10:06 pm

OHHHHHHHHHHHHH I SEE BUT IMM SCARED AS HELL TO ATTEMPT THAT!!!! LOL I GUESS ITS THE ONLY WAY!!!!! I MIGHT JUS SEE IF I COULD KICK SUMBODY A FEW BUCKS TO DO IT FOR ME!!! THANKS THO GUYS!!!
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 17 EmptyWed Nov 02, 2011 10:17 pm

GM FIEND wrote:
OHHHHHHHHHHHHH I SEE BUT IMM SCARED AS HELL TO ATTEMPT THAT!!!! LOL I GUESS ITS THE ONLY WAY!!!!! I MIGHT JUS SEE IF I COULD KICK SUMBODY A FEW BUCKS TO DO IT FOR ME!!! THANKS THO GUYS!!!

if you follow the instructions it works -- get some junkyard headlights as backup and do it... if you search using Google you will find people offering to do it for about $450/pair, you supply headlights and parts.
Back to top Go down
GM FIEND
Rookie
GM FIEND

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 17 EmptyWed Nov 02, 2011 10:22 pm

$450 DOLLARS JUS TO HEAT UP MY LIGHTS AND TAPE A HALO RING IN MY HEADLIGHTS AND I GOTTA USED MY OLD ONES AND SUPPLY PARTS 0_O WHT A FREAKIN RIP-OFF I MIGHT JUS TRY IT AFTER ALL CUZ ILL ONLY HAVE TO DO HALF OR LESS OF THE THINGS IN THE VIDEO... I JUS GOTTA HEAT UP THE HEADLIGHT TO GET THE ADHESIVE OFF AND WHT KIND OF ADHESIVE WOULD I NEED TO BOND IT BACK TOGETHER AGAIN?????
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 17 EmptyThu Nov 03, 2011 12:03 am

Bet those guys charging $450 know what kind of glue to use. Maybe give them a call and ask?

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 17 EmptyThu Nov 03, 2011 6:12 am

AA wrote:
Bet those guys charging $450 know what kind of glue to use. Maybe give them a call and ask?

If you do a web search you'll find the names of the sealant (I forget what it is) that's used. It works kind of like the craft shop glue sticks in that it melts at temperature just below the melting point of the lexan-type polycarbonate the lenses are made of. But I think it comes as a liquid in a tube. I don't remember details now but I remember the details were easy to find on a web search. I think the goop is available from McMaster-Carr. I think there are pointers to all that stuff earlier in this thread - GM FIEND should consider reading this thread from the beginning.

Part of the point was that if you do the melting right you won't need additional glue, you can remelt what's on the lenses and it will stick back together. Can only do this a couple - three - times or so, glue gets somewhat brittle-er with each remelt.
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 17 EmptyThu Nov 03, 2011 3:00 pm

Just stopping by with a random update.
My HID system which I've had since early 2007 is starting to suck. It's difficult to really say why because I've switched to different color bulbs a few times so I don't know if it has more to do with the balasts or the bulbs. I wanna say different bulbs were better than others about igniting but that could be my imagination. Basically though when I start the car and they turn on, one or both of them cut off before they power up. In the beginning, this would happen on a seldom occasion and wasn't a big deal but now it's very rare that I don't have to restart them and when I do it, it often takes more than one additional try to get them both on - sometimes as many as four times.

So far, I've added a wiring harness like what WBS sells that has a relay and new grounds and whatnot. This didn't help my issue at all. I've got another set of balasts that are, as far as i know, new that I'll try now but I need to do something. This gone beyond annoying now.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 17 EmptyThu Nov 03, 2011 5:57 pm

turtleman wrote:
My HID system which I've had since early 2007 is starting to suck. It's difficult to really say why because I've switched to different color bulbs a few times so I don't know if it has more to do with the balasts or the bulbs. I wanna say different bulbs were better than others about igniting but that could be my imagination. Basically though when I start the car and they turn on, one or both of them cut off before they power up. In the beginning, this would happen on a seldom occasion and wasn't a big deal but now it's very rare that I don't have to restart them and when I do it, it often takes more than one additional try to get them both on - sometimes as many as four times.

So far, I've added a wiring harness like what WBS sells that has a relay and new grounds and whatnot. This didn't help my issue at all. I've got another set of balasts that are, as far as i know, new that I'll try now but I need to do something. This gone beyond annoying now.

Did you look at the cases of your installed ballasts for discoloration or heat deformation? Yea, I'm thinking ballasts but I have no info to back that up.

Back to top Go down
GM FIEND
Rookie
GM FIEND

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 17 EmptyThu Nov 03, 2011 8:31 pm

Guys im glad you all r discussing hids i jus got mine in the mail i undersyand i have to take the bumper off to remove the headlights is this tru? And how do i do this? Thanks
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 17 EmptyThu Nov 03, 2011 11:13 pm

GM FIEND wrote:
Guys im glad you all r discussing hids i jus got mine in the mail i undersyand i have to take the bumper off to remove the headlights is this tru? And how do i do this? Thanks

not the bumper, just the bumper cover. Some pushpins and screws, pretty obvious if you get on the ground and look up under it.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 17 EmptyThu Nov 03, 2011 11:34 pm

Must you remove the headlights to install?

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 17 EmptyThu Nov 03, 2011 11:39 pm

AA wrote:
Must you remove the headlights to install?

To just replace the capsules, not really.

To install clear lenses, projectors and angel eyes, yes you do -- and you have to cobble together an alignment rig.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 17 EmptyFri Nov 04, 2011 6:47 am

turtleman wrote:

That sounds like bad ballasts. Are you saying your original ballasts have lasted you since '07? Mine went out all the time; it's the reason why I chose Nokya bulbs instead of 3k HID's for my Si.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 17 EmptyFri Nov 04, 2011 8:25 am

Yep, it's your ballasts dude. This happened to me on my very first set of HID's. I had one ballast that wouldn't come on all the time. I got them both warrantied and upgraded to "better" ballasts. Haven't had a problem since....
Back to top Go down
GM FIEND
Rookie
GM FIEND

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 17 EmptyFri Nov 04, 2011 5:02 pm

hey guys i have a question i jus tried installing my hids(6000k 9006). they are "xentec" plug in plays i connected everything and plug them into lowbeams socket(this is wht im supposed to do right? not plug them into high beams..correct?)and i started the car and NOTHING.....also i have DRLs my rivy is a 98..they came with sum kinda extra harness will i have to use that for them in order for them to work(i was told i didnt) or does anybody know what i did wrong???btw neither headlight is coming on......plz help?thanks
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 17 EmptyFri Nov 04, 2011 5:18 pm

Try testing the new HID system off the car first. Hook it up to 12V and see if they light up. You can use the car's electrical system, making sure everything is grounded correctly. If they work, try installing one piece at a time, testing as you go.

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 17 EmptySat Nov 05, 2011 2:39 pm

I took a look at those spare ballasts and it looks like they're 55 watt. The system on my car now is a normal 35watt. I just took a look at a few different ebay vendors selling replacement HID bulbs only and there's no mention of wattage in regards to the bulb options... So I'm thinking you don't need to have a 55watt bulb to pair with a 55watt balast. Anyone know?
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 17 EmptySat Nov 05, 2011 5:15 pm

GM FIEND wrote:
hey guys i have a question i jus tried installing my hids(6000k 9006). they are "xentec" plug in plays i connected everything and plug them into lowbeams socket(this is wht im supposed to do right? not plug them into high beams..correct?)and i started the car and NOTHING.....also i have DRLs my rivy is a 98..they came with sum kinda extra harness will i have to use that for them in order for them to work(i was told i didnt) or does anybody know what i did wrong???btw neither headlight is coming on......plz help?thanks

Happened to me, just reverse the polarity of the connections to the factory harness. It's in the beginning of my actual writeup on page 4. The clip's locks wont engage but it should work fine.

IBx1 wrote:
I ran into a problem trying to install the lights. The wiring is straightforward and simple, but some of them have a problem with the connection to the factory harness. If your lights do not turn on, this is why! The bit of plastic on the outside that the clip fastens around is on the wrong side. Just flip it over and reconnect it and it should work.
Back to top Go down
LT1Squirrel
Enthusiast

Name : EB
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 17 EmptySat Nov 05, 2011 5:56 pm

IBx1 wrote:
GM FIEND wrote:

Happened to me, just reverse the polarity of the connections to the factory harness. It's in the beginning of my actual writeup on page 4. The clip's locks wont engage but it should work fine.

IBx1 wrote:
I ran into a problem trying to install the lights. The wiring is straightforward and simple, but some of them have a problem with the connection to the factory harness. If your lights do not turn on, this is why! The bit of plastic on the outside that the clip fastens around is on the wrong side. Just flip it over and reconnect it and it should work.

Yup, same exact problem with mine, i just threw some zip ties around them and went on my way
Back to top Go down
manofmany
Addict

Name : manofmany
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 17 EmptySat Nov 05, 2011 8:16 pm

^ What they said.

I just want to report that I've been running with the same bulbs for 3 years now. Never been flashed, had a cops attention, or had one burn out.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 17 EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 5:30 pm

My driver side HID ballast took a crap last night. Came home and noticed the light output was maybe 10% of what it should be.
This morning it only flickers and then goes out. Could be the bulb but im ordering a new kit.
DDMtuning.com seems to have about the best price avail. I paid $65 shipped for 2 new bulbs and 2 ballasts. I also got the slim versions and 55w so they are brighter.
My buddy has ordered from them and they seem legit.
the full size kits (looks to be the same as ZZP's) start at $30. Really cant beat that and they have a lifetime warranty.
I'll post some pic when i get them installed. They should be a little brighter than the ones i have now (35w ballast)

Back to top Go down
2000ws6transam
Enthusiast
2000ws6transam

Name : steve
Merit : 6

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 17 EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 8:20 pm

i had the same problem, flipped the plug over and hooked it up , upside down and it worked! lol
i think the germans dont know how to wire!! i got the phillips bulbs with forget the name of the balast makers and its so damn bright it hurts my eyes to drive the car!!!!!
Question thought how did you disable the day time running lights ? they said to not use them with the bulbs and balast,
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 17 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: HID Conversion
Page 17 of 21Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next