Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: HID Conversion

Go down 
+57
firefighter
Jimdangello
Mattwa
denim
RivieraParadise
2000ws6transam
GM FIEND
LT1Squirrel
Rizz01
tanyue123
Jayrydingslab
BigRay1125
nebstewart07
95rivy
7901mark
TheNewEra95
Derek
flyineagle96
KillaKeninaRiv
Abaddon
ZEP
VJD2
BrianEsser
DEMonte1997
GMFreak8
nigelf
97 park ave
Eldo
robotennis61
Ryan from Ohio
96RIVMANN
Rickw
texasfan010
Snowdog
L8-2BNGO
L67
EatDirtFartDust
deekster_caddy
manofmany
Shintsu
Natesriv
TonySmooth89
Mr.Riviera
T Riley
albertj
IBx1
'96reese
palermocorey90
jax95riv
SpaceBar
RhinoFLA
NO 4 EVR
AA
turtleman
CeeKay
61 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 21  Next
AuthorMessage
'96reese
Fanatic

Name : Reese
Merit : 4

Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 4 EmptySat May 17, 2008 2:08 am

well i jus bought my new hids i got the 10k color. the looks of it, i should have the kit by wed. cant wait
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 4 EmptySat May 17, 2008 11:44 am

'96reese wrote:
well i jus bought my new hids i got the 10k color. the looks of it, i should have the kit by wed. cant wait

i hope to get 10K too cool
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
palermocorey90
Expert
palermocorey90

Name : Corey
Merit : -24

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 4 EmptySat May 17, 2008 12:26 pm

why 10000K ? there not even that bright.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/glowinstrat
'96reese
Fanatic

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 4 EmptySat May 17, 2008 1:27 pm

they jus look cool.........i'll prolly buy the 8k too on ebay
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 4 EmptySat May 17, 2008 3:27 pm

palermocorey90 wrote:

i love the BLUE look...... and my riv's blue which is OBVIOUSELY the sexiest color known to man:]
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

Name : ILAN
Merit : 69

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 4 EmptySat May 17, 2008 5:25 pm

Cool, just so you know once you have the ballasts in you can put any color temp HID bulb in, and it should work, so you can use 8's for driving and 10's for show.
Back to top Go down
palermocorey90
Expert
palermocorey90

Name : Corey
Merit : -24

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 4 EmptySat May 17, 2008 6:03 pm

98riviera98 wrote:
palermocorey90 wrote:

i love the BLUE look...... and my riv's blue which is OBVIOUSELY the sexiest color known to man:]

ur such a ricer travis rice
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/glowinstrat
Shintsu
Expert

Name : Shintsu
Merit : -16

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 4 EmptySun May 18, 2008 3:27 pm

So you can't do a quick double flash of the brights to let someone go ahead or something? That's annoying. And sorry if I neglected to see where it said but where exactly is it that you swap out the 10A and 20A at? The fusebox inbetween the door and the dash right?
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 4 EmptySun May 18, 2008 9:39 pm

Yes, the one between the dash and the door. Also, you can flash your brights, just don't click the handle all the way back. If you pull it back before it, the brights will come on while the regular lights are on. I had to do this on Friday, actually.
Back to top Go down
Shintsu
Expert

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 4 EmptySun May 18, 2008 11:25 pm

Oh, huh. Never noticed I could do that, I always click it all the way back once or twice to let people have the go ahead. Thanks, I'll try and remember to do that and maybe get into that habit for a (Hopefully) eventually HID setup.
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 4 EmptyMon May 19, 2008 6:08 am

Yup, just don't change the brights for HID's. They may be easier to reach, but you'd burn out the ballasts by flashing those at all like you would in a real world situation. Just stick with changing the regular lamps.
Back to top Go down
'96reese
Fanatic

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 4 EmptyThu May 22, 2008 11:06 pm

got my hid kit today and i love it. the 10 are a bit extreme wit the blue, but it looks good. i guess when i get paid ill get the 8k bulbs.
Back to top Go down
manofmany
Addict

Name : manofmany
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 29, 2008 8:11 pm

I'm planning on ordering a HID kit for my Riv in the next day or two. Could anyone recommend a kit? I plan on getting 4300 or 6000k bulbs.

I'm consdering getting this kit from ZZP:

http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_prix/products1.php?id=617&catid=101

Any experience with it?
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 29, 2008 8:22 pm

Good price, and you can trust ZZP. It has the brackets, so that's a plus.

All HID kits are the same, and this should work fine! Good luck with it!
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 29, 2008 8:25 pm

manofmany wrote:
I'm planning on ordering a HID kit for my Riv in the next day or two. Could anyone recommend a kit? I plan on getting 4300 or 6000k bulbs.

I'm consdering getting this kit from ZZP:

http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_prix/products1.php?id=617&catid=101

Any experience with it?

That looks like a good option. Plus you'd be supporting one of our 3800 vendors, which is always a good thing...
Back to top Go down
manofmany
Addict

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 29, 2008 8:30 pm

Quick replies. Just bought the 9006 kit. Thanks guys!
Back to top Go down
manofmany
Addict

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 01, 2008 5:05 pm

Hmm just got the drivers side on and it didn't work. Gonna try turning the harness around I suppose.

The bulb didn't sit flush in the middle of the bracket inside of the headlight either. Strange.
Back to top Go down
manofmany
Addict

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 01, 2008 5:56 pm

Alright, got them both in and working. The drivers side harness needed switched around.

Only thing is, neither are seated in the center of little metal housing inside of the headlight. The passenger side is to the extreme top and the drivers is to the extreme right. Is that how they are suppose to be or will it even matter?

Also, how hot do the ballasts get? Thanks
Back to top Go down
manofmany
Addict

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 01, 2008 9:57 pm

Tested them out and they are nice, but not near as nice as the HID lights my RX8 had. I'm thinking I need to aim them up. Is that a possibility?
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 4 EmptySat Aug 02, 2008 1:02 am

manofmany wrote:
Tested them out and they are nice, but not near as nice as the HID lights my RX8 had. I'm thinking I need to aim them up. Is that a possibility?

The housings can be aimed just as with the stock bulbs via the 2 adjustment knobs. Be nice to them because they do like to snap when they get old but I think it's more of a problem during the winter.

As for your uncertainty about the socket seating, I would check and recheck to make sure those boogers are in perfectly straight. Pull up to a wall to make sure the beams are even. and not scattered weirdly. I notice that it's pretty easy to put them in slightly crooked and not really notice it unless you're the other guy across an intersection facing you and you can see one light is normal and the other's beam is way too high or sideways.

Retrofitted HID's will not be like factory HID's, ever. The lenses are still designed for halogens.
Back to top Go down
manofmany
Addict

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 4 EmptySat Aug 02, 2008 9:16 pm

Good insight, turtleman.

I just wanted to personally thank IBx1 for taking the time to do the writeup. It helped me bigtime, especially when the drivers side decided not to light up. I'm very happy with the improvement and the looks. I would never go higher than 6k though.
Back to top Go down
Shintsu
Expert

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 4 EmptySat Aug 02, 2008 9:53 pm

Post a pic, let us see 'em!
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

PostSubject: more HID business   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 4 EmptyMon Sep 15, 2008 12:47 am

This is mainly for current HID users and especially for potential HID users. I decided to pick up another set of xenon bulbs to replace my existing set since the D2R style is now cheaply available.

Here's a link to a site that concisely explains what I'm talking about. It's not a big boring read so take a minute and check it out!

http://www.hidbulbsource.com/

Basically, they take the usual aftermarket style HID lamp and ceramic coat a section of it to better accommodate the reflector lens used with factory halogen lighting (like ours). The result is a more clear beam and less glare to those other drivers on the road.

Once I actually receive and install my new bulbs, I'll try to photograph the difference, assuming there is a noticeable difference.
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 4 EmptyMon Sep 15, 2008 1:01 am

Also, if anyone wants some seriously strange lights, I'm selling my 30,000k bulbs for $10+shipping. Note: You need to have the HID ballasts to use them.

If I'm happy with the new ones, I'll also sell my 10,000k set if anyone wants those. Those are as deep blue as you can get.

Just PM if you are ever interested. I'll probably have these laying around for a while.
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 4 EmptyTue Nov 11, 2008 7:14 pm

Got my replacement ballast and now both lights are pure white. No problems switching between brights and regulars, or initial firing.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: HID Conversion
Page 4 of 21Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 21  Next