Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: XP Cam & Valvetrain Install

Go down 
+7
T Riley
Jason
palermocorey90
urbsnspices
AA
BillBoost37
turtleman
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

Write-Up: XP Cam & Valvetrain Install - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: XP Cam & Valvetrain Install   Write-Up: XP Cam & Valvetrain Install - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 12, 2008 5:16 pm

So far running great. Having all my gears funtional again is nice. Shift kit works well. Coupler in the supercharger not being bad is also very nice. With the cam, exhaust, and 3.2" pulley, I'm seeing 10psi of steady boost from 12psi or so before the cam so it's doing something right. I've been driving my mother's 08 Toyota Rav v6 for the last week and a half so it could just be relative conditioning but it seems like the cam has made the car louder overall.

There's a very good chance I'll be going to the track tomorrow so we'll see what happens. I'm thinking I should be able to beat my previous best of 14.9 even though my current tires aren't as good. I'm going somewhere with my family this evening so I'm going to try to get my FWI built tonight so I can run with it tomorrow. Otherwise I'm going to be feeding it some very hot air. It's supposed to be 82 and sunny tomorrow.

Random Idea - Is there a reason why I wouldn't want to header wrap my crossover pipe as I did my front manifold? I think the part I'd be actually wraping is more or less a heat sheild for it... No?
Back to top Go down
Chicken
Aficionado
Chicken

Name : Mark
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: XP Cam & Valvetrain Install   Write-Up: XP Cam & Valvetrain Install - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 12, 2008 7:36 pm

OMFG.....thats awesome!!!!! Congrats Turtle!!!! That thing sound great!! Post some numbers!!!
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
TonySmooth89
Aficionado
TonySmooth89

Name : Anthony
Merit : 16

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: XP Cam & Valvetrain Install   Write-Up: XP Cam & Valvetrain Install - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 12, 2008 10:14 pm

Sounds really nice man! Good job with everything!
Back to top Go down
Chicken
Aficionado
Chicken

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: XP Cam & Valvetrain Install   Write-Up: XP Cam & Valvetrain Install - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 13, 2008 8:29 am

Are you running 3" pipe on the entire length of the exhaust?
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: XP Cam & Valvetrain Install   Write-Up: XP Cam & Valvetrain Install - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 13, 2008 1:57 pm

Wrapping the crossover makes sense to me. Should help with under-hood temps, noise, and also keeping the exhaust gases moving quickly after the front manifold.

I say you're running a low 14 with this set-up. Good luck!

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: XP Cam & Valvetrain Install   Write-Up: XP Cam & Valvetrain Install - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 13, 2008 11:14 pm

wrapping the crossover shields heat and noise. I noticed a big difference in both (unscientifically)
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: XP Cam & Valvetrain Install   Write-Up: XP Cam & Valvetrain Install - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 14, 2008 2:30 pm

did it go KABOOM? or what?
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: XP Cam & Valvetrain Install   Write-Up: XP Cam & Valvetrain Install - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 14, 2008 6:09 pm

Byron's computer that printed out the time slips apparently wasn't working yesterday. They just printed the times out in full size sheets of paper and tacking them to the tower. It was also race bike day and my friend and i only got to run 3 times total. I got 14.778, 14.8xx, and 14.790 respectively. Needless to say I am a bit disappointed. I guess I should be greatful that nothing went wrong considering I just did a whole bunch of motor and trans modding myself that I've never done before. I beat my previous best of 14.9 which was with a 3.4" and FWI basically, oh and better tires.

I need to figure out what's going on. Everything seems to operate smoothely. The shifts were a little wierd.

One thing's for sure, I badly need some tuning! At the very least to get the shifts changed and get rid of some codes..
Back to top Go down
ewolfe0050
Aficionado
ewolfe0050

Name : Eric
Merit : 27

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: XP Cam & Valvetrain Install   Write-Up: XP Cam & Valvetrain Install - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 14, 2008 7:42 pm

You need to call Paul at PRJ. He's not too far away from you and could probably hammer out your issues over a weekend.
Back to top Go down
palermocorey90
Expert
palermocorey90

Name : Corey
Merit : -24

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: XP Cam & Valvetrain Install   Write-Up: XP Cam & Valvetrain Install - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 14, 2008 8:21 pm

that XP sounds very good
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/glowinstrat
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: XP Cam & Valvetrain Install   Write-Up: XP Cam & Valvetrain Install - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 15, 2008 3:38 pm

turtleman wrote:

One thing's for sure, I badly need some tuning! At the very least to get the shifts changed and get rid of some codes..

oh geez WHO NEEDS tuning rolleyes your only gonna knock like .2 off your quarter mile with a properly tuned car DURR lol
Back to top Go down
BillBoost37
Junkie

Merit : 26

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: XP Cam & Valvetrain Install   Write-Up: XP Cam & Valvetrain Install - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 10:26 am

You probably had a bit of kr etc and could use a good tune. It's amazing what a real tune will do for a car.

Don't be let down either, heat and humidty play a large factor on our cars.
Hot summer day I ran 14.1, cool fall night 13.1
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: XP Cam & Valvetrain Install   Write-Up: XP Cam & Valvetrain Install - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 2:51 pm

A few more final pictures even though its a pretty inferior camera
Write-Up: XP Cam & Valvetrain Install - Page 2 Ce2fae94
The header wrapped PEM

Write-Up: XP Cam & Valvetrain Install - Page 2 D202eae7
Rebuilt FWI done

Write-Up: XP Cam & Valvetrain Install - Page 2 1cdfe2fc

Write-Up: XP Cam & Valvetrain Install - Page 2 42ae522f
Back to top Go down
BillBoost37
Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: XP Cam & Valvetrain Install   Write-Up: XP Cam & Valvetrain Install - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 2:53 pm

You shaved the back of the alt right? How much room do you have? That might give you a little KR if you can't fit a piece of paper in there.
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: XP Cam & Valvetrain Install   Write-Up: XP Cam & Valvetrain Install - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 3:06 pm

BillBoost37 wrote:
You shaved the back of the alt right? How much room do you have? That might give you a little KR if you can't fit a piece of paper in there.

what does it mean to shave the back of the alternator?
Back to top Go down
Chicken
Aficionado
Chicken

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: XP Cam & Valvetrain Install   Write-Up: XP Cam & Valvetrain Install - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 3:15 pm

98riviera98 wrote:
BillBoost37 wrote:

Write-Up: XP Cam & Valvetrain Install - Page 2 Nascar-racing-fan-comedy-picture-Dale-Earnhardt-Tribute-shaved-in-back
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: XP Cam & Valvetrain Install   Write-Up: XP Cam & Valvetrain Install - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 3:22 pm

98riviera98 wrote:
BillBoost37 wrote:

It means you drive a bonneville

headbutt box
Back to top Go down
BillBoost37
Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: XP Cam & Valvetrain Install   Write-Up: XP Cam & Valvetrain Install - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 21, 2008 9:26 am

The stock 96-99 alternator bracket on the Bonneville has the alternator in a place where it'll hit the casing if you try and put on a Gen V. A little shaving of the metal etc takes care of the issue.

I believe the Riv has the same alt and bracket.
Back to top Go down
ewolfe0050
Aficionado
ewolfe0050

Name : Eric
Merit : 27

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: XP Cam & Valvetrain Install   Write-Up: XP Cam & Valvetrain Install - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 21, 2008 11:27 am

Quote :
I believe the Riv has the same alt and bracket.

Yes it does.
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: XP Cam & Valvetrain Install   Write-Up: XP Cam & Valvetrain Install - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 25, 2008 9:18 am

Write-Up: XP Cam & Valvetrain Install - Page 2 66923d18

Got around to header-wrapping the crossover. I was quite generous with the wrap. I very much considered ripping off the heat shield and just pounding the wrap on but I decided against it. Of course I spent some time cleaning the thing up first before I wrapped it, especially since I used the silca sealer which probably doesn't adhear very well to rusty flange surfaces. Currently, I've got about an hour left of baking and it will basically be ready to go back into the turtle. The above picture is after I cleaned it up.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: XP Cam & Valvetrain Install   Write-Up: XP Cam & Valvetrain Install - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 25, 2008 10:02 am

whoa! What kind of header wrap is that? It looks like a polished stock heat shield.
Back to top Go down
BillBoost37
Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: XP Cam & Valvetrain Install   Write-Up: XP Cam & Valvetrain Install - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 25, 2008 10:33 am

Derek,...it's pre wrap.
turtleman wrote:
The above picture is after I cleaned it up.
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: XP Cam & Valvetrain Install   Write-Up: XP Cam & Valvetrain Install - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 25, 2008 11:37 am

Write-Up: XP Cam & Valvetrain Install - Page 2 942a99ae

installed

definitelly looks a lot fatter if nothing else. I did notice that a little while after baking, the outside surface of it was room temperature but the inner pipe and flanges would burn my fingers. That can't be bad.
Back to top Go down
Chicken
Aficionado
Chicken

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: XP Cam & Valvetrain Install   Write-Up: XP Cam & Valvetrain Install - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 25, 2008 12:57 pm

Write-Up: XP Cam & Valvetrain Install - Page 2 Mumbc4
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: XP Cam & Valvetrain Install   Write-Up: XP Cam & Valvetrain Install - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 30, 2008 12:08 pm

how is she running?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: XP Cam & Valvetrain Install   Write-Up: XP Cam & Valvetrain Install - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: XP Cam & Valvetrain Install
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next