Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

The insulator for underneath the hood? (Updated with pics)

Go down 
+3
Jason
1998 Riv
Buapo
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Buapo
Addict
Buapo

Name : Ben
Merit : 2

The insulator for underneath the hood? (Updated with pics) Empty
PostSubject: The insulator for underneath the hood? (Updated with pics)   The insulator for underneath the hood? (Updated with pics) EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 5:25 pm

Okay, my insulator got chomped up at one point, because a belt broke and it roasted the insulator all the way up to the hood.

The insulator for underneath the hood? (Updated with pics) Car

That's a picture of the parts car that's on the board right now - ignore the red circle. The thing I am referring to is the insulator with "Riviera" on it. It has an orange stain, but I was considering snagging this from him.

Now, could I buy an OEM replacement for this? I checked GM Parts Direct, and messed around in their catalog, but I couldn't find a part number. I'm worried that I might have to buy a whole 'nother hood (which is, of course, out of the question).

Any ideas? Thanks.

Last edited by Buapo on Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: The insulator for underneath the hood? (Updated with pics)   The insulator for underneath the hood? (Updated with pics) EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 6:03 pm

You can order it at GMPD or from your local dealer. I got mine last summer from the dealer for about $85??? I think. But I also got about 25% discount at that time. What really sucks is it got ripped this winter when I threw the SC belt...

I can check a part # later.
Back to top Go down
Buapo
Addict
Buapo

PostSubject: Re: The insulator for underneath the hood? (Updated with pics)   The insulator for underneath the hood? (Updated with pics) EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 6:09 pm

Thanks very much.

Yeah my S/C belt broke (before I owned it) and that's how it got tore up.
Back to top Go down
Jason
Aficionado
Jason

Name : Jason
Merit : 65

PostSubject: Re: The insulator for underneath the hood? (Updated with pics)   The insulator for underneath the hood? (Updated with pics) EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 7:02 pm

seems to be a common problem. Mine got chewed up too frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Doctor_Meltdown
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

Name : Randall
Merit : 89

PostSubject: Re: The insulator for underneath the hood? (Updated with pics)   The insulator for underneath the hood? (Updated with pics) EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 7:28 pm

GM Parts Direct:
Item Number........MSRP...........Price
25624175.............$94.15........$56.11
Hood and grille - Hood and components - Insulator 1995 - 1999

This is what it looks like painted:
The insulator for underneath the hood? (Updated with pics) P2210010
List price has gone up quite a bit over the last few years, I think I paid $60 for my first one around 6 years ago, and $80 for the last one about 2 years ago?!?
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/99Rivman
Buapo
Addict
Buapo

PostSubject: Re: The insulator for underneath the hood? (Updated with pics)   The insulator for underneath the hood? (Updated with pics) EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 8:29 pm

Rivman, thanks!

What did you use to paint that? I think you posted this pic a while back, and I was impressed then. It looks fantastic, I'd love to do that.
Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

PostSubject: Re: The insulator for underneath the hood? (Updated with pics)   The insulator for underneath the hood? (Updated with pics) EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 9:08 pm

Buapo wrote:
Rivman, thanks!

What did you use to paint that? I think you posted this pic a while back, and I was impressed then. It looks fantastic, I'd love to do that.
Thanks! bow

99Rivman wrote:
I painted it with testors model car paint, silver I think, the small enamel bottles. I did it before I installed it and it was still a pain even with it being molded in the liner.
That's all I have in the way of MODS, no performance enhancements, just a few cosmetic items.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: The insulator for underneath the hood? (Updated with pics)   The insulator for underneath the hood? (Updated with pics) EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 9:21 pm

99Rivman wrote:
GM Parts Direct:
Item Number........MSRP...........Price
25624175.............$94.15........$56.11....

$56 is a great price, but it ships in a HUGE box due to the size and fragile nature of the material. I picked mine up at the dealer for 85, no shipping fees. The box was truly gigantic. I imagine GMPD will charge handsomely for freight. I'm so PO'd that my new one got ripped up. After I lost the SC idler pulley, the old belt still looked ok so I put it back on. Big mistake...
Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

PostSubject: Re: The insulator for underneath the hood? (Updated with pics)   The insulator for underneath the hood? (Updated with pics) EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 9:30 pm

1998 Riv wrote:
$56 is a great price, but it ships in a HUGE box due to the size and fragile nature of the material. I picked mine up at the dealer for 85, no shipping fees. The box was truly gigantic. I imagine GMPD will charge handsomely for freight. I'm so PO'd that my new one got ripped up. After I lost the SC idler pulley, the old belt still looked ok so I put it back on. Big mistake...
agree
That is true about the price and the shipping. I got mine from the dealer too, maybe a little better deal than you got, much safer that way with it being so big and so fragile.
That sucks about your new one getting torn up frown
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: The insulator for underneath the hood? (Updated with pics)   The insulator for underneath the hood? (Updated with pics) EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 10:00 pm

99Rivman wrote:
..............That sucks about your new one getting torn up frown

I've been fighting the urge to replace it. For now I've just cleaned up the edges of the ripped area. Should try to fill it with something though.
Back to top Go down
Buapo
Addict
Buapo

PostSubject: Re: The insulator for underneath the hood? (Updated with pics)   The insulator for underneath the hood? (Updated with pics) EmptyMon Jun 02, 2008 3:40 am

I'm in luck! Ed Morad just got a Riviera in, and he's being nice and letting me get the liner (the hood is more valuable WITH it rather than without it, after all...)

He's selling it to me for $30 I think. Less than half price? Score!
Back to top Go down
Buapo
Addict
Buapo

PostSubject: Re: The insulator for underneath the hood? (Updated with pics)   The insulator for underneath the hood? (Updated with pics) EmptyMon Jun 16, 2008 3:33 pm

Okay, here are the pics.

Before:
The insulator for underneath the hood? (Updated with pics) Liner-Before

After:
The insulator for underneath the hood? (Updated with pics) Liner-After

This liner came out of a '95, and I was VERY pleased to find out that it was in excellent condition.

Well, I'm happy. I didn't want to spend the $85 for a new one.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: The insulator for underneath the hood? (Updated with pics)   The insulator for underneath the hood? (Updated with pics) EmptyMon Jun 16, 2008 4:15 pm

Cool, that's certainly an improvement. There were 2 or 3 Rivs at a local yard, maybe I'll stop by and see what they look like.
Back to top Go down
Buapo
Addict
Buapo

PostSubject: Re: The insulator for underneath the hood? (Updated with pics)   The insulator for underneath the hood? (Updated with pics) EmptyMon Jun 16, 2008 4:50 pm

The GM Parts direct is not really option for this part.

When you put the Part # 25624175 in the box, it comes up - and right next to it says "not available for sale due to size."

Just for the hell of it, I added it to the cart anyway. The shipping charges?

$112.00 - after everything is said and done, it would cost you $170.00 to get this to your house.

So, used or dealer is the way to go for anyone considering getting a new one.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: The insulator for underneath the hood? (Updated with pics)   The insulator for underneath the hood? (Updated with pics) EmptyMon Jun 16, 2008 9:56 pm

That's interesting, last year gmpartsdirect did not display that info, and shipping wasn't nearly that high. I guess dealer price isn't so bad afer all...
Back to top Go down
urbanski_m
Amateur

Name : Mike
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: The insulator for underneath the hood? (Updated with pics)   The insulator for underneath the hood? (Updated with pics) EmptyWed Aug 14, 2013 10:43 pm

99rivman, how did you paint that?  I looks awesome!  Have seen a few like that and would like some pointers on how you did it so well.  What type of paint did you use?  The process?  Thanks
Back to top Go down
llamalor2112
Junkie
llamalor2112

Name : Evan
Merit : 13

PostSubject: Re: The insulator for underneath the hood? (Updated with pics)   The insulator for underneath the hood? (Updated with pics) EmptyThu Aug 15, 2013 2:03 am

I've seen guys use high-temperature enamel paint with good success. I myself used a silver sharpie and a year later it looks as great as ever! You can see mine here
The insulator for underneath the hood? (Updated with pics) Rivalong
Back to top Go down
urbanski_m
Amateur

Name : Mike
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: The insulator for underneath the hood? (Updated with pics)   The insulator for underneath the hood? (Updated with pics) EmptyThu Aug 15, 2013 12:55 pm

That looks great llamalor2112!  Good Job.  Thanks for the tips.
Back to top Go down
al_roethlisberger
Junkie
al_roethlisberger

Name : Al Roethlisberger
Merit : 24

PostSubject: Re: The insulator for underneath the hood? (Updated with pics)   The insulator for underneath the hood? (Updated with pics) EmptyThu Aug 15, 2013 8:43 pm

llamalor2112 wrote:
I've seen guys use high-temperature enamel paint with good success. I myself used a silver sharpie and a year later it looks as great as ever! You can see mine here

When you say "Silver Sharpie", do you mean some type of Sharpie brand or other "paint pen"? Do you recall what you used?

I have a new-ish hood pad I'll be putting in and was going to go the "testors" paint route, but a paint pen with proven results might work out easier to apply.

Thanks
Al

Back to top Go down
llamalor2112
Junkie
llamalor2112

PostSubject: Re: The insulator for underneath the hood? (Updated with pics)   The insulator for underneath the hood? (Updated with pics) EmptyFri Aug 16, 2013 12:37 am

I literally mean a silver sharpie pen like the regular old black sharpie...but silver. Haha
Back to top Go down
al_roethlisberger
Junkie
al_roethlisberger

Name : Al Roethlisberger
Merit : 24

PostSubject: Re: The insulator for underneath the hood? (Updated with pics)   The insulator for underneath the hood? (Updated with pics) EmptyFri Aug 16, 2013 5:36 pm

llamalor2112 wrote:
I literally mean a silver sharpie pen like the regular old black sharpie...but silver. Haha
Heh, sounds good.

I found the following right after I posted my question to you, so I'll give it a try:

http://www.sharpie.com/enus/pages/metallic-fine-point-marker.aspx

Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

PostSubject: Re: The insulator for underneath the hood? (Updated with pics)   The insulator for underneath the hood? (Updated with pics) EmptyFri Aug 16, 2013 6:46 pm

That looks like a better way than I did it!thumbsup 
I did mine with it off the hood with the Testors paint and an artists brush, it was a pain for me even doing it that way.poop
Back to top Go down
llamalor2112
Junkie
llamalor2112

PostSubject: Re: The insulator for underneath the hood? (Updated with pics)   The insulator for underneath the hood? (Updated with pics) EmptyFri Aug 16, 2013 7:18 pm

Mine was a massive pain. But at my own fault as I did it while it was still on the hood. Doh!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The insulator for underneath the hood? (Updated with pics)   The insulator for underneath the hood? (Updated with pics) Empty

Back to top Go down

The insulator for underneath the hood? (Updated with pics)
Page 1 of 1