Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Interesting idea for cold air intake

Go down 
+7
Dj Brady
AA
Buapo
nothincame2mind
robotennis61
IBx1
Jeremy
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Jeremy
Amateur

Name : Jeremy
Merit : 0

Interesting idea for cold air intake Empty
PostSubject: Interesting idea for cold air intake   Interesting idea for cold air intake EmptySat Apr 12, 2008 3:54 pm

I am building my intake now for my riv. I started with 4" exhaust piping that I am running thru my stock box. I cut a hole in the side of the box so that i could run the pipe thru the stock box and out the other side out to the fender. After i fitted my pipe through the box, I siliconed the crap out of the box where the pipes go through it. I then Gutted the stock box, and closed off the top of the lid where the old port used to connect to it. Finally i closed off the air inlet on the bottom of the box with fiberglass and silicone. So now the stock box is just that- a big box. A box that u can fil with ice water to cool down the intake charge. Its kind of like a homemade air-to-water intercooler. I am waiting on the silicone to fully set up before i try to test for water leaks. I think it is going to be pretty effective when its done.
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

Name : ILAN
Merit : 69

PostSubject: Re: Interesting idea for cold air intake   Interesting idea for cold air intake EmptySat Apr 12, 2008 4:51 pm

So you're making a homemade water intercooler? Sounds cool! Just make sure it doesn't breathe any of that in, and that the water won't splash up and out onto electronic stuff. Good luck, and post some pics!
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Interesting idea for cold air intake   Interesting idea for cold air intake EmptySat Apr 12, 2008 5:17 pm

is the exhaust pipe stainless steel? if not, standard exhaust pipe is prone to rusting. and might get into your throttle body.
Back to top Go down
nothincame2mind
Aficionado

Name : Ryan
Merit : 20

PostSubject: Re: Interesting idea for cold air intake   Interesting idea for cold air intake EmptySat Apr 12, 2008 5:52 pm

Why not dry ice?
Back to top Go down
Buapo
Addict
Buapo

Name : Ben
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: Interesting idea for cold air intake   Interesting idea for cold air intake EmptySat Apr 12, 2008 6:20 pm

I was thinking reusable ice packs for the track, maybe. Cheaper, reusable, and you could store them in a cooler until you get there. Plus, they wouldn't make very much water.

Eh?
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Interesting idea for cold air intake   Interesting idea for cold air intake EmptySun Apr 13, 2008 12:54 am

If the IAT sensor reads the air warm, will it matter if the air is cooled? The PCM still thinks the air coming in is ambient temp. Maybe if you moved the IAT sensor downstream.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Dj Brady
Enthusiast

Name : Brady

PostSubject: Re: Interesting idea for cold air intake   Interesting idea for cold air intake EmptySun Apr 13, 2008 12:04 pm

Hell, I really like the idea of sealing the existing airbox to the fender and then porting it to the outside of the engine bay.
Back to top Go down
http://www.328studios.com
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Interesting idea for cold air intake   Interesting idea for cold air intake EmptyMon Apr 14, 2008 10:05 am

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
Dj Brady
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Interesting idea for cold air intake   Interesting idea for cold air intake EmptyMon Apr 14, 2008 2:58 pm

AA wrote:
https://rivperformance.editboard.com/series-ii-engine-transmission-f4/write-up-modified-air-box-cai-t1289.htm

Very cool. I might start tackling that and throw on a 3.4" pulley with the 104 plugs soon.
Back to top Go down
TonySmooth89
Aficionado
TonySmooth89

Name : Anthony
Merit : 16

PostSubject: Re: Interesting idea for cold air intake   Interesting idea for cold air intake EmptyMon Apr 14, 2008 3:13 pm

Dj Brady wrote:
AA wrote:
https://rivperformance.editboard.com/series-ii-engine-transmission-f4/write-up-modified-air-box-cai-t1289.htm

Very cool. I might start tackling that and throw on a 3.4" pulley with the 104 plugs soon.

You're gonna want an 180* thermostat too. I'd put a 3 in downpipe on there as well , i drove around with the 3.4 for a while with no exhaust mods , but most recommend against it , however some have had no issues with it.
Back to top Go down
Dj Brady
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Interesting idea for cold air intake   Interesting idea for cold air intake EmptyMon Apr 14, 2008 3:25 pm

I may stick with a 3.5 if I can get away with not having to make exhaust mods then. I'd been reading a few different sites and they said you could mount a 3.4" with only a fwi and plugs.. I'll heed advice though, thanks.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Interesting idea for cold air intake   Interesting idea for cold air intake EmptyMon Apr 14, 2008 3:51 pm

I wouldn't recommend it to start. Get an MPS and start with a 3.5. Get yourself a scan tool or programmer/scanner if you are serious. You will need the programmer someday anyway if you are serious about modding.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Interesting idea for cold air intake   Interesting idea for cold air intake EmptyMon Apr 14, 2008 4:28 pm

Take it from someone who listened to someone who said I could run a 3.4" with only plugs and t-stat - and followed that advice.

Don't.

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
Dj Brady
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Interesting idea for cold air intake   Interesting idea for cold air intake EmptyMon Apr 14, 2008 4:47 pm

Got it. Thanks for the heads up! I'll start with the 3.5", plugs, fwi, t-stat and keep my eye out for a programmer for now. I just want to add a little kick in the pants and hear the whine for grins and giggles. smile
Back to top Go down
Buapo
Addict
Buapo

Name : Ben
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: Interesting idea for cold air intake   Interesting idea for cold air intake EmptyMon Apr 14, 2008 8:45 pm

I'm not gonna drop to a 3.4" pulley until I have a ceramic coated powerlog and FWI in ADDITION to the mods in my sig. Then there's not much else I can do after that aside from rear PEM and tune without going really expensive.
Back to top Go down
Jeremy
Amateur

PostSubject: Not an very good idea for an cold air intake   Interesting idea for cold air intake EmptyMon Apr 14, 2008 10:22 pm

So, needless to say i am eating shoe right now- I had a pretty serious leak when i filled up my air box to test for leaks. Unfortunately i did not find said leak until i hit the road in it. I managed to get about 4 miles down the road when my riv just started bogging really badly, so i immediately shut her down. I almost caused a wreck because these cars steer with the engine off about as well as the Titanic. So yeah i got a pretty decent amount of water in the engine- but nothing a lot of WD-40 and an afternoon of spinning the engine with no plugs in it couldn't get out. Apparently i got some in the lifters because they are loud as hell when i start up now. O well, they say a lesson paid for is not soon forgotten, so take my experience with homemade water intercoolers to heart- buy one from GREDDY! or refer to Jason's write up on a 4'' fwi- thats wat im doing anyways. I am still going to post pics of my beautiful disaster but i may leave out the ones with me smashing the entire system with my fists lol...
Back to top Go down
98riv

Merit : 30

PostSubject: Re: Interesting idea for cold air intake   Interesting idea for cold air intake EmptyMon Apr 14, 2008 10:40 pm

Sorry to hear about your car trouble. Do you have some pictures of your intake?

Amateur

PostSubject: Re: Interesting idea for cold air intake   Interesting idea for cold air intake EmptyMon Apr 14, 2008 10:48 pm

Yes i took several pics of my process in hopes of doing a detailed write up but i just found out that one of my roomates borrowed my camera last night to get some video of a Sevendust concert he was headed to and "somehow" managed to lose it while crowd surfing so now all i can do is reiterate the importance of properly sealing your intake when trying to make your own intercooler. Oh and dont let friends borrow your camera- I not sweating it though he just paid for my pulley swap, exhaust , and new woodgrain kit for the interior lol...
Back to top Go down
98riv

Merit : 30

PostSubject: Re: Interesting idea for cold air intake   Interesting idea for cold air intake EmptyMon Apr 14, 2008 10:58 pm

If you haven't already, change the oil ASAP. I would use some cheap oil at first and then change it again to make sure you get all of the water out of the oil.

Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: Interesting idea for cold air intake   Interesting idea for cold air intake EmptyMon Apr 14, 2008 10:59 pm

98riv wrote:
If you haven't already, change the oil ASAP. I would use some cheap oil at first and then change it again to make sure you get all of the water out of the oil.
Good idea!
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
Jeremy
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: Interesting idea for cold air intake   Interesting idea for cold air intake EmptyMon Apr 14, 2008 11:20 pm

Hey, on your sign off it says silverstars- are those Brevet Silverstar wheels? Those were the first set of 20" wheels that i ever saw and they blew my mind needless to say.
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: Interesting idea for cold air intake   Interesting idea for cold air intake EmptyMon Apr 14, 2008 11:27 pm

Jeremy wrote:
Hey, on your sign off it says silverstars- are those Brevet Silverstar wheels? Those were the first set of 20" wheels that i ever saw and they blew my mind needless to say.

no silverstars are the type of headlights he has, alot of people have em'
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
Jeremy
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: Interesting idea for cold air intake   Interesting idea for cold air intake EmptyMon Apr 14, 2008 11:30 pm

Cool just wondering... yeah i have drained my oil twice since sunday and the second time it was clear as a whistle thank god- I just had the oil changed to full synthetic 3 days before i did the intake so needless to say i just spent some money!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Interesting idea for cold air intake   Interesting idea for cold air intake Empty

Back to top Go down

Interesting idea for cold air intake
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riv Performance ::   Supercharged 3800 Tech :: Series II Engine & Transmission-
Jump to: