Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Replacing Supercharger Belt Tensioner

Go down 
+18
3.8 Riviera
LARRY70GS
wee-one
BoattailBob
1998 Riv
ibmoses
ewolfe0050
T Riley
deekster_caddy
Jason
zombiesarebad
RhinoFLA
albertj
Mr.Riviera
BillBoost37
96RIVMANN
AA
allfalldown
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

Write-Up: Replacing Supercharger Belt Tensioner - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Supercharger Belt Tensioner   Write-Up: Replacing Supercharger Belt Tensioner - Page 4 EmptyTue Oct 14, 2008 4:16 pm

Can you jam a large flat blade screwdriver in and get any leverage?
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Supercharger Belt Tensioner   Write-Up: Replacing Supercharger Belt Tensioner - Page 4 EmptyTue Oct 14, 2008 4:25 pm

Could try drilling a large hole, then thread a bolt (normal thread dir) and loosen with a wrench. If you have a welder around, can weld a piece of steel bar or a nut to it and then break loose.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Supercharger Belt Tensioner   Write-Up: Replacing Supercharger Belt Tensioner - Page 4 EmptyTue Oct 14, 2008 4:32 pm

GOOD suggestions, AA.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Supercharger Belt Tensioner   Write-Up: Replacing Supercharger Belt Tensioner - Page 4 EmptyTue Oct 14, 2008 5:04 pm

Yes, some drilling or welding will be required. Weld a nut to the bolt head so you can put some leverage on it.
Back to top Go down
BoattailBob
Fanatic
BoattailBob

Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Supercharger Belt Tensioner   Write-Up: Replacing Supercharger Belt Tensioner - Page 4 EmptyTue Oct 14, 2008 5:34 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions. I wish I did have a welder (I really need to buy one and learn how)that would have been the way to go. I don't have a right angle drill so I wasn't able to get a drill in there.I ended up jamming a flathead screwdriver in there (thank you Dave) and was able to get some leverage with some vice grips. Somehow managed to get the belt back on (thank you god i will stop drinking so much like I promised). So for now I will leave it the way it is. Just hope I don't have to change pulleys soon.
cheers...beer time...oops i already forgot.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Supercharger Belt Tensioner   Write-Up: Replacing Supercharger Belt Tensioner - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 06, 2010 8:20 pm

For many months, I had an annoying 'chirp-chirp-chirp' sound at idle during certain days, usually at start-up, and especially on cold, damp mornings. I thought it was an idler pulley or tensioner pulley, so replaced both with no luck. A clue came when I used a small ratchet to slightly de-tension the supercharger tensioner unit with engine running (if you try this, be extremely careful!). The result was the chirp went away.

I ordered Gates supercharger tensioner # 38351 from Rockauto.com for $57.79; total shipped was $65.32. Below is a write-up showing the installation, which is not very difficult, uses a few basic tools, and should take roughly 2 hours the first time. In a hurry, I think it could be done in 1 hour.

After installing the fresh tensioner unit, the chirp sound went away and so far hasn't returned after more than 3 months. Best of luck with your installation!

STEP 1: Using a ratchet and T-50 Torx bit, de-tension the supercharger belt by applying counter clockwise torque to the supercharger tensioner pulley bolt. The tensioner bolt is reverse (left hand) thread, so counter clockwise torque will cause the bolt to tighten, and the tensioner to move, loosening tension on the belt. Remove the belt from the supercharger, idler, and tensioner pulleys and tie/prop it out of the work area. There is no need to remove the belt entirely from the engine (trust me, you don't want to anyway).

Write-Up: Replacing Supercharger Belt Tensioner - Page 4 Tensioner1

STEP 2: Use the T-50 Torx to loosen the supercharger tensioner pulley using clockwise (reversed) torque, accessing the 15 mm nut behind it.

Write-Up: Replacing Supercharger Belt Tensioner - Page 4 Tensioner4

Remove the three fasteners (normal right hand thread) securing supercharger tensioner unit, and SC tensioner pulley. The top one is a 13 mm bolt, the lower is a 15 mm nut, and as mentioned there is one 15 mm nut behind the SC tensioner pulley. Remove the pulley and the nut. Do not remove the studs.

Write-Up: Replacing Supercharger Belt Tensioner - Page 4 Tensioner2

Write-Up: Replacing Supercharger Belt Tensioner - Page 4 Tensioner3

Write-Up: Replacing Supercharger Belt Tensioner - Page 4 Tensioner5

STEP 3: There is a ground connector attached to one of the studs. Disconnect it and remove the remaining 15 mm nut behind it.

Write-Up: Replacing Supercharger Belt Tensioner - Page 4 Tensioner6

STEP 4: The coil packs are fastened to a bracket that mounts to the supercharger tensioner unit. There are two 13 mm bolts holding it on - one of them you have previously removed in STEP 2. The other is bolt is located to the left side of the coil packs, as seen when looking at the engine from passenger side. Remove this bolt with a 13 mm short-well socket wrench.

Write-Up: Replacing Supercharger Belt Tensioner - Page 4 Tensioner7

The coil pack only needs to move enough to remove the supercharger tensioner unit from behind it. You may leave the ignition wires connected.

STEP 5: With the coil packs free, the supercharger tensioner will easily slide out from behind it. Remove the supercharger tensioner unit. GM part # is 24506376.

Write-Up: Replacing Supercharger Belt Tensioner - Page 4 Tensioner8

STEP 6: See pictures of old and new supercharger tensioner units below. If you ordered Gates item # 38351, it comes with Chinese-made idler and tensioner pulleys to save costs. You may want to replace them with better quality pulleys, or different diameters if you have a modified blower drive set-up. If so, wait to install these pulleys in STEP 9.

Write-Up: Replacing Supercharger Belt Tensioner - Page 4 Tensioner9

Write-Up: Replacing Supercharger Belt Tensioner - Page 4 Tensioner10

Write-Up: Replacing Supercharger Belt Tensioner - Page 4 Tensioner11

Write-Up: Replacing Supercharger Belt Tensioner - Page 4 Tensioner12

Write-Up: Replacing Supercharger Belt Tensioner - Page 4 Tensioner13

STEP 7: Install new supercharger tensioner unit and reinstall coil pack bracket. Install 15 mm nut and 13 mm bolts hand tight (remember one is on left side of coil pack). Use T-50 bit to remove new supercharger tensioner pulley - it loosens clockwise. With tensioner pulley removed, install the last 15 mm nut.

Write-Up: Replacing Supercharger Belt Tensioner - Page 4 Tensioner14

STEP 8: Tighten all 13 mm bolts and 15 mm nuts to 25 lb-ft. Install ground wire connector and 15 mm nut. Tighten it to 25 lb-ft.

Write-Up: Replacing Supercharger Belt Tensioner - Page 4 Tensioner15

STEP 9: If you want to replace the new idler/tensioner pulleys with those of different size or better quality, you may do so now. Otherwise, reinstall the new tensioner pulley. Tighten pulleys counter clockwise (reverse thread). Tighten tensioner pulley counter clockwise until tensioner arm starts to move. Do not over-tighten!

Write-Up: Replacing Supercharger Belt Tensioner - Page 4 Tensioner16

STEP 10: Route supercharger belt along correct path and de-tension the new tensioner arm. Slip the supercharger belt onto the tensioner pulley and release. The belt should now be installed and tight. Inspect belt routing and start the engine to confirm proper operation.

Write-Up: Replacing Supercharger Belt Tensioner - Page 4 Tensioner17

IMPORTANT NOTE: Any time you release tension to the supercharger belt, care should be taken to be sure the belt has not become misaligned with the crank pulley grooves when tension is reapplied. The crank pulley is the large one at the bottom of the engine. Both serpentine belts are driven by this pulley. From below the car, you can check for correct orientation of the supercharger belt on the crank pulley.

Write-Up: Replacing Supercharger Belt Tensioner - Page 4 Belts

If you do not check this, and the SC belt is installed incorrectly, you will experience premature belt failure within a few thousand miles. It begins with a faint white line seen on the outside edge of the belt's flat side, followed by separation of the outside belt rib. This can damage underhood components, insulation, cooling hoses, or the other (accessory) belt. After installing the new tensioner, check your supercharger belt for abnormal wear after 500 miles.

Good luck and happy wrenching! hi

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
wee-one
wee-one

Name : Randy
Merit : 3

PostSubject: belt tensioner pully... help?   Write-Up: Replacing Supercharger Belt Tensioner - Page 4 EmptySat Jun 18, 2011 10:00 pm

So.... yeah.. the belt tensioner pulley is a little off from the SC coupler and feeding it a little crooked causing belt squeal whenever I cold start the car... I've sprayed a crapton of belt dressing and that makes it atop until thenext morning....

So is there any way to preposition the tensioned... or even have a spacer for it? Do they sell slavers? Would washers work Or is that a bad idea?

Thanks
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Supercharger Belt Tensioner   Write-Up: Replacing Supercharger Belt Tensioner - Page 4 EmptySat Jun 18, 2011 10:10 pm

You shouldn't need anything like that. Is it possible the belt is on crooked. Take a good look at the belt where it goes around the balancer. If the belt isn't positioned correctly there, it will ride crooked the rest of the way. If not, the tensioner itself may be at fault.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Supercharger Belt Tensioner   Write-Up: Replacing Supercharger Belt Tensioner - Page 4 EmptySat Jun 18, 2011 10:33 pm

The tensioner is cast so that when everything is OK the pulley(s) will all be in line. Most likely the bearing in the tensioner pulley is failing. Hint - see if you can smack the pulley back into alignment with the heel of your hand or a rubber mallet.

Best thing to do is replace the pulley that's out of line (before it seizes and causes you real headaches), they are not that expensive even from a GM dealer. And since they are widely used they are also widely available. Just be sure you get the correct side (it's not hard) and be aware that some are on reverse threaded bolts (the thread of the bolt is always such that the belt travel would tend to tighten that bolt).

Albertj
Back to top Go down
wee-one
wee-one

Name : Randy
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Supercharger Belt Tensioner   Write-Up: Replacing Supercharger Belt Tensioner - Page 4 EmptySat Jun 18, 2011 10:54 pm

Cool.. thanks... yeah the thing is that the engine is from a gtp and the tensioner also I suppose... the Guy doing the swap with me did the belt setup and said that he had to kindof mix and match the belts and maybe pulleys... and the belt on the tensioner pulley is kindof looking like it wants to slide off... and when I fix it and start the car up it goes right back... its frustrating... and when I look at the setup everything is in line except the tensioner pulley which looks slightly angled downward.. even when I tighten it.. it also looks like its not only angled downward some but should stick out another 1/4" further....? That's why I think a spacer would fix it...
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Supercharger Belt Tensioner   Write-Up: Replacing Supercharger Belt Tensioner - Page 4 EmptySun Jun 19, 2011 12:15 am

wee-one wrote:
Cool.. thanks... yeah the thing is that the engine is from a gtp and the tensioner also I suppose... the Guy doing the swap with me did the belt setup and said that he had to kindof mix and match the belts and maybe pulleys... and the belt on the tensioner pulley is kindof looking like it wants to slide off... and when I fix it and start the car up it goes right back... its frustrating... and when I look at the setup everything is in line except the tensioner pulley which looks slightly angled downward.. even when I tighten it.. it also looks like its not only angled downward some but should stick out another 1/4" further....? That's why I think a spacer would fix it...

If you look in for instance the Rock Auto catalog you will see that it's the same tensioner on the 96-99 Riv as on the 97-98 GTP...

So the mix/match of belts is not a cause of the problem, really, assuming that of the belts and tensioners that were in the garage when you did the engine swap, the best available ones were mounted on the engine.

Given that... Best thing to do is replace the pulley that's out of line (before it seizes and causes you real headaches), they are not that expensive even from a GM dealer. And since they are widely used they are also widely available. Just be sure you get the correct side (it's not hard) and be aware that some are on reverse threaded bolts (the thread of the bolt is always such that the belt travel would tend to tighten that bolt).
Back to top Go down
3.8 Riviera
Amateur
3.8 Riviera

Name : Tyre
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Supercharger Tensioner Pulley   Write-Up: Replacing Supercharger Belt Tensioner - Page 4 EmptyWed Nov 23, 2011 7:13 pm

Hey guys. I have another question. My supercharger tensioner is too wide in diameter causing it rub against the mount. It's not a pleasant sound. I need a smaller pulley so this doesn't happen, any suggestions. I also put a new gates tensioner on today.

Thanks and Happy Holidays. jump
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Supercharger Belt Tensioner   Write-Up: Replacing Supercharger Belt Tensioner - Page 4 EmptyWed Nov 23, 2011 7:22 pm

What else did you change to cause this interference? The new tensioner should align the pulley the same as before. Have you got the belt on correctly?

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
3.8 Riviera
Amateur
3.8 Riviera

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Supercharger Belt Tensioner   Write-Up: Replacing Supercharger Belt Tensioner - Page 4 EmptyWed Nov 23, 2011 7:40 pm

Nothing different but I will upload pictures of what it looks like. How do you upload pictures on here?
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Supercharger Belt Tensioner   Write-Up: Replacing Supercharger Belt Tensioner - Page 4 EmptyWed Nov 23, 2011 7:43 pm

^^^^ Click above: Write-Up: Replacing Supercharger Belt Tensioner - Page 4 Boardf10

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
3.8 Riviera
Amateur
3.8 Riviera

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Supercharger Belt Tensioner   Write-Up: Replacing Supercharger Belt Tensioner - Page 4 EmptyWed Nov 23, 2011 8:22 pm

Write-Up: Replacing Supercharger Belt Tensioner - Page 4 2h50chu

Write-Up: Replacing Supercharger Belt Tensioner - Page 4 250qog7

Write-Up: Replacing Supercharger Belt Tensioner - Page 4 2n16l3

sorry about the quality, from my phone.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Supercharger Belt Tensioner   Write-Up: Replacing Supercharger Belt Tensioner - Page 4 EmptyWed Nov 23, 2011 8:30 pm

Is the outer corner of the pulley rubbing on the front engine mount bracket?

Looks like you have the wrong diameter pulley there. The diameter of that tensioner pulley should be the same as the other SC idler pulley. Someone may have put a larger tensioner pulley there to compensate for using a smaller supercharger pulley without having to change the belt.
Back to top Go down
3.8 Riviera
Amateur
3.8 Riviera

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Supercharger Belt Tensioner   Write-Up: Replacing Supercharger Belt Tensioner - Page 4 EmptyWed Nov 23, 2011 8:32 pm

it does rub. this pulley came with the tensioner. my tensioner set up does not look like the one in the write up. what's up with that?
Back to top Go down
98riv

Merit : 30

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Supercharger Belt Tensioner   Write-Up: Replacing Supercharger Belt Tensioner - Page 4 EmptyWed Nov 23, 2011 10:22 pm

deekster_caddy wrote:
Is the outer corner of the pulley rubbing on the front engine mount bracket?

Looks like you have the wrong diameter pulley there. The diameter of that tensioner pulley should be the same as the other SC idler pulley. Someone may have put a larger tensioner pulley there to compensate for using a smaller supercharger pulley without having to change the belt.

Good eye. Can you use your old pulley until you get a replacement?

Amateur
3.8 Riviera

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Supercharger Belt Tensioner   Write-Up: Replacing Supercharger Belt Tensioner - Page 4 EmptyWed Nov 23, 2011 11:00 pm

Unfortunately both pulleys are the same size. Is it possible that the engine has dropped? The reason why I say that is because I had to slightly jack the engine up to. Remove the tensioner.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Supercharger Belt Tensioner   Write-Up: Replacing Supercharger Belt Tensioner - Page 4 EmptyThu Nov 24, 2011 2:22 pm

my guess is you have at least one dead motor or transmission mount, or even both
Back to top Go down
3.8 Riviera
Amateur
3.8 Riviera

PostSubject: temp   Write-Up: Replacing Supercharger Belt Tensioner - Page 4 EmptyWed Jan 18, 2012 1:53 pm

Alright you guys. I just wanted to update you guys on the status on my riviera. Some of you guys know that I was having an issue of the supercharger grinding on the passenger motor mount. Well recently I took it in to the auto shop where I was told that all three bolts on the engine block broke causing the engine to fall. The three bolts were repaired and replaced along with both belts. When I started the engine yesterday it was quiet as it was back in '97. The start-up was quiet as a whistle and nothing and I mean nothing squeaked or shuck. I drove it and it was a smooth ride with so much power under the hood. With all the repairs and tweaking it cost around 500 dollars.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Supercharger Belt Tensioner   Write-Up: Replacing Supercharger Belt Tensioner - Page 4 EmptyWed Jan 18, 2012 2:11 pm

Thanks for the update. These were the bolts holding the passenger side mount to the engine?

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
3.8 Riviera
Amateur
3.8 Riviera

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Supercharger Belt Tensioner   Write-Up: Replacing Supercharger Belt Tensioner - Page 4 EmptyWed Jan 18, 2012 2:12 pm

Yep
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Supercharger Belt Tensioner   Write-Up: Replacing Supercharger Belt Tensioner - Page 4 EmptyWed Jan 18, 2012 10:00 pm

albertj wrote:
my guess is you have at least one dead motor or transmission mount, or even both

congrats on finding the problem. Hope my guess helped.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Supercharger Belt Tensioner   Write-Up: Replacing Supercharger Belt Tensioner - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Replacing Supercharger Belt Tensioner
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next