Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler)

Go down 
+64
97rivman1
AlienShoe
charlieRobinson
th3fr4nchi5e
LaFlare
matt270avian
designer1962
Z-type
highwaywarrior
The Roadmaster
crstump
RidzRiv
GEAREDUP
robotennis61
ejeraser
Cmurphy
Lenrapkins
BMD
97 park ave
Abaddon
Natesriv
Eldo
LARRY70GS
Hometown Hero
crosss3
T Riley
rivman96
Rickw
curious riv
captshiner
gotboost?
lyonsperformance
manofmany
riviera2454
Lucas
ibmoses
TonySmooth89
1wickedninja
albertj
baynes72
RhinoFLA
ZEP
1998 Riv
sburch23
overownt
deekster_caddy
IBx1
ewolfe0050
Buapo
dreww
Shintsu
BillBoost37
Jason
shrek90
Mr.Riviera
oldsman105
turtleman
urbsnspices
98riv
AA
NO 4 EVR
robertwolf86
68 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage
gotboost?
Amateur

Name : Brandon
Merit : 0

FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler) - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler)   FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler) - Page 5 EmptySun Nov 30, 2008 11:45 pm

It's strange because it only does it when the motor is fully warmed up and at idle. It is a grinding type clunking noise. Has anyone had this before, the riv just went past 149xxx miles. I am also getting a lot of pully noise that I beleive is coming from the water pump. THanks.
Back to top Go down
curious riv
Addict
curious riv

Name : Chris
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler)   FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler) - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 01, 2008 12:03 am

Im sure that mine needs a new coupler but it (sometimes)only rattles when cold at idle. nevr when warm at idle or any time else
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler)   FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler) - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 01, 2008 12:31 am

Alternator bearings will sound like that when warmed / hot when they are worn out.
Next time you hear it put your hand on either end of alternator and see if it very hot to the touch. Should not be.
Doing this with engine running and bad bearings you can almost feel the bearings growling in the case.
Worth looking at before you start condemning the supercharger. Also, put your hand on the end of supercharger snout while running and see if you can feel what your hearing. Just be careful of rotating pulleys and belts. An inexpensive mechanics stethoscope can be helpful sometimes if you you know what your listening for otherwise you'll just hear a bunch of magnified noise.
If you know you have a bad water pump, while changing it out check the play on all other rotating pulleys as well. It's worth the time and money to replace any questionable pulleys or tensioners while your in there.
Noises from that side of the engine can be difficult to pinpoint because of all the different rotating components. Have someone else that is mechanically inclined also listen. Two sets of ears can be better than one sometimes. Good Luck.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler)   FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler) - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 01, 2008 1:34 am

Our idler and tensioner pulleys are known to fail at half your mileage. Might be a good time to change your belts, too.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
gotboost?
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler)   FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler) - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 01, 2008 2:04 am

Belts have been changed. I put my hand on the topside of the supercharger and felt the "noise" if that makes sence. I will have my mechanic check it out while he is doing the hazard switch. Thanks guys.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler)   FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler) - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 01, 2008 9:24 am

FYI most mechanics just say 'you need a rebuilt supercharger' when in reality you only need the coupler replaced. Just make sure you and he are aware of it.
Back to top Go down
gotboost?
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler)   FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler) - Page 5 EmptyTue Dec 02, 2008 10:42 pm

Hey Derek, thanks man. I know mechanics don't really like to fix a little thing, they would rather get their hours in by replacing the whole assembly. I will pull the belts off tomorrow night and check and see what is causing the noise.
Back to top Go down

Name : Andrew
Merit : 123

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler)   FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler) - Page 5 EmptyWed Dec 03, 2008 9:21 am

another good way to zero in on the coupler if thats whats making the sound is to use a "poor mans auto stethoscope", a paper towel tube held to your ear.. good for closing in on engine sounds....

Junkie
captshiner

Name : Andrew
Merit : -1

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler)   FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler) - Page 5 EmptyWed Dec 03, 2008 3:45 pm

Another way is to use a long screwdriver with the head on the subject and the handle on your ear. The coupler is at the base of the stount.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=572362129
gotboost?
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler)   FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler) - Page 5 EmptyFri Dec 05, 2008 2:29 am

what types of noise will the coupler make if its bad. It sounds like something is almost clunking around in the s/c...
Back to top Go down
ewolfe0050
Aficionado
ewolfe0050

Name : Eric
Merit : 27

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler)   FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler) - Page 5 EmptyFri Dec 05, 2008 2:38 am

a rattling sound like rocks tumbling around... a coupler cost $25-$30 at ZZP, Intense, WbodyStore, etc and is fairly easy to replace. When mine went out at 140k mi, it was most noticable when cold and would go away after warming up and at speed.
Back to top Go down
gotboost?
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler)   FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler) - Page 5 EmptyFri Dec 05, 2008 11:44 am

Yeah, it is def my coupler. I will have to order one. If nothing else, now would be a good time to replace the s/c fluid. Thanks guys.
Back to top Go down
rivman96
Enthusiast
rivman96

Name : Cameron
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler)   FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler) - Page 5 EmptyMon Oct 26, 2009 8:37 pm

I have a noise coming from my supercharger as well but I only hear it when I turn off the car. Is this likely my coupler?
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler)   FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler) - Page 5 EmptyMon Oct 26, 2009 8:38 pm

rivman96 wrote:
I have a noise coming from my supercharger as well but I only hear it when I turn off the car. Is this likely my coupler?
Yes
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler)   FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler) - Page 5 EmptyMon Oct 26, 2009 11:57 pm

rivman96 wrote:

That's almost exactly the symptom I had too. I could hear it a little bit at idle, but when I turned off the ignition it was very noticeable as the engine came to a stop. New coupler from ZZP and it's been purring perfectly for 2 yrs now.
Back to top Go down
crosss3
Amateur

Name : Steve

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler)   FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler) - Page 5 EmptyThu Dec 03, 2009 9:21 am

Quick question guys. While stopped at a light or at idle I am hearing what sounds like a golf ball hitting the roof coming from under the hood. Any idea what this might be? When I bought the car I could hear a small growling noise coming from the alternator. I had the dealer look into it and they said they ran a line through the alternator and it's putting out full power. Let me know. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler)   FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler) - Page 5 EmptyThu Dec 03, 2009 9:26 am

The most common reason for this "marbles in a can" sound is a worn supercharger coupler, but it can come from other sources. You may want to loosen the SC belt, then move the SC pulley back and forth to see if there's any play. Read through this thread for more info. Good luck!

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler)   FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler) - Page 5 EmptyThu Dec 03, 2009 3:55 pm

Common source for 'marbles in a can' sound is the water pump. As often as not they will get a bit noisy before they fail.

Also look for weak/broken rubber in the motor mounts and loose metal shields on engine and exhaust. Also look at the palstic engine "sight cover" to see if the little rectangular cup at the back is snug against the bracket on the engine; if not it may knock around a little.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler)   FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler) - Page 5 EmptyFri Dec 18, 2009 6:43 pm

Do you and any other people here experience that mechanical noise emanating from the intake / supercharger when the engine is cold. I've been hearing it for a while but didn't correlate it to the 3.4 pulley drop I made after putting on the rockers.
I wasn't sure if it was a supercharger making the noise it will make at 100,000 miles and a coupler with about 1/8" play or not.
Figured I'd live with the noise until I put a New Gen 5 on it next year.
But if this noise is normal then I'm relieved. It goes away shortly after the SC warms up, and before the engine is up to normal operating temp.
I had gutted the air cleaner housing a long time ago and didn't get this noise then.

Last edited by Rickw on Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Hometown Hero
Junkie
Hometown Hero

Name : Klix
Merit : 16

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler)   FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler) - Page 5 EmptyFri Dec 18, 2009 6:46 pm

Whens the last time you changed out your SC oil?
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler)   FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler) - Page 5 EmptyFri Dec 18, 2009 6:47 pm

Less than 10,000 miles ago.
Back to top Go down
Hometown Hero
Junkie
Hometown Hero

Name : Klix
Merit : 16

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler)   FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler) - Page 5 EmptyFri Dec 18, 2009 6:53 pm

Hmm, this growl, is it a humming noise or grinding? I have heard the bearings do make a grinding noise in the snout when they start to go, also like you stated the coupler is a common issue. But that doesn't sound like the problem here. I woodn't lose to much sleep over it if everything is working fine.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler)   FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler) - Page 5 EmptyFri Dec 18, 2009 6:59 pm

Yeh, I'm not losing sleep or getting too excited about it. It was just the first time I heard someone else mention noise from the supercharger, with a gutted airbox mention the type of noise I am hearing.
I had a certain noise from just gutting the airbox that's expected, now I hear the SC make noise when cold for a short time and then goes away. Like I said it will dissipate before the engine comes up to 1/4 it's normal temp. Generally by the time the HVAC blower starts to come on in the extreme cold weather we have been having.

Last edited by Rickw on Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler)   FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler) - Page 5 EmptyFri Dec 18, 2009 7:00 pm

Rickw wrote:
Eldo wrote:
And you know what, except perhaps for the cold-supercharger-growl in the morning,
Do you and any other people here experience that mechanical noise emanating from the intake / supercharger when the engine is cold. I've been hearing it for a while but didn't correlate it to the 3.4 pulley drop I made after putting on the rockers.
I wasn't sure if it was a supercharger making the noise it will make at 100,000 miles and a coupler with about 1/8" play or not.
Figured I'd live with the noise until I put a New Gen 5 on it next year.
But if this noise is normal then I'm relieved. It goes away shortly after the SC warms up, and before the engine is up to normal operating temp.
I had gutted the air cleaner housing a long time ago and didn't get this noise then.

I know exactly what you mean Rick. I've always noticed that when my engine is cold. I'm not sure it is the supercharger. Might it be the Idle air control?
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler)   FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler) - Page 5 EmptyFri Dec 18, 2009 7:05 pm

Good point, I wasn't sure if it was the SC while in Bypass mode or something else.
All I know is that became much more noticeable this year and that is when I did the 1.9:1 rocker change as well as the 3.4" pulley change.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler)   FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler) - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

FAQ: Supercharger Noise (Bad Coupler)
Page 5 of 13Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next