The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Auto body questions(ask here)

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
SpaceBar
Aficionado
SpaceBar

Name : Patrick
Merit : 3

Auto body questions(ask here) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Auto body questions(ask here)   Auto body questions(ask here) - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 04, 2007 7:06 pm

jax95riv wrote:
Buapo wrote:
jax95riv wrote:
What's up w/ the avatar pic Ben??

Check out this thread:
http://rivperformance.editboard.com/Other-Stuff-c3/Exterior-f12/Leftover-chrome-stripping-Here-s-what-I-did-t1315.htm

It's a picture of my airbox with the chrome strips. The heat from the engine caused them to peel away after only driving for a short time. God, I feel dumb. I changed my avatar to remind me how stupid I am.

lmao Too funny, thanks for the laugh. It looked really good though, I liked it.

Hah, hes going to be reminded everytime he posts something now. wink

I was wondering how they were going to hold up in the engine heat. scratch
Back to top Go down
http://community.webshots.com/user/xspacebarx
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: new body man   Auto body questions(ask here) - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 26, 2008 2:16 pm

So I've been looking to get my car painted for a few years. It has a few little rust spots that need fixing and the factory paint just looks like sh*t. So far nothing has worked out. Either the quote was outrageous or if the price was decent the deal always seemed to fall apart. So I finally found my new body man... ME. I signed up for a class at our local Voc. HS adult evening program. Class starts this monday. I'm going to start working on my tow rig/family hauler, '96 Chevy G30 van. I have a front drivers door to paint/install, then a few rust spots that need fixing on it. After that, if I like my own work, it will be my Riv.

I think I'm going to paint it black (it's black now) with a dark cherry red flake in the paint.

smile Just thought I'd share...
Back to top Go down
palermocorey90
Expert
palermocorey90

Name : Corey
Merit : -24

PostSubject: Re: Auto body questions(ask here)   Auto body questions(ask here) - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 26, 2008 3:59 pm

thats what class im taking but i was doing body work way be fore that,its a great course makes sure u pay good close atention
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/glowinstrat
urbsnspices
Fanatic
urbsnspices

Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: Auto body questions(ask here)   Auto body questions(ask here) - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 31, 2008 4:38 pm

Sounds pretty cool, if you can, post work log for the van. It would be interesting to see how it is all done.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: Auto body questions(ask here)   Auto body questions(ask here) - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 31, 2008 4:56 pm

oh yeah, I should probably update... So first night I was the only n00b that brought a project, the other n00bs didn't bring theirs.

The front pass. door on my van has a bunch of rot on the bottom edge. I found a boneyard door last summer with all the same options (pw pl) and no rust at all, so I grabbed it for $100. It's the wrong color, so first things first I want to paint that door. After that there is 1 rusty spot on the van I want to fix, and after that I want to start working on the Riv.

So the instructor used my door for his example and showed us how to straighten small dents and use body filler, and how to work the filler back down. The instructor is great, very hands-on (okay, the whole class IS hands-on...). He pointed out three defects in the door I didn't even see. One 1-inch long scratch/dent, one other small dent and a bend-in along the horizontal body line. We pulled one dent with a little welding doo-dad called an Eagle, It's basically a little T-handle that tacks itself with a tiny point onto the dent, you pull the dent then twist the T-handle off, move it, tack it again, pull again, etc etc until the dent is gone. Also we pushed the crease back out to straight with a really long pick-shaped pry tool.

Maybe I'll create a blog page about this so you can skip the boring parts...
Back to top Go down
palermocorey90
Expert
palermocorey90

PostSubject: Re: Auto body questions(ask here)   Auto body questions(ask here) - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 31, 2008 4:59 pm

yupp its all pretty easy once you know what ur doing
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 241

PostSubject: Re: Auto body questions(ask here)   Auto body questions(ask here) - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 31, 2008 5:14 pm

Derek, this is very interesting stuff. Please update us on your progress, and i'll make the thread a sticky. Maybe a few of us here can learn a few things about body work, do our own work, save $$$, etc. Thanks a lot for posting.

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'05 GTO • 85k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26
Because fun

'70 Olds Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe • 116k miles • 455 Rocket V8
Because cool

'95 Celica • 152k miles • 0-60: yes
Because free

Last edited by on Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: Auto body questions(ask here)   Auto body questions(ask here) - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 31, 2008 5:17 pm

my only problem is going to be pictures. I can take before and after photos, but the class itself is not conducive to photography... I'll see what I can do though! smile
Back to top Go down
palermocorey90
Expert
palermocorey90

PostSubject: Re: Auto body questions(ask here)   Auto body questions(ask here) - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 31, 2008 6:48 pm

take a camera in any way screw them i did it when i was work on the ferd 1fitty
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Guru
Jack the R

Merit : 89

PostSubject: Re: Auto body questions(ask here)   Auto body questions(ask here) - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 31, 2008 7:12 pm

Oooh, I did not know there were such classes! How much does the class run?

Are you going to be able to paint your car there too?
Back to top Go down
palermocorey90
Expert
palermocorey90

PostSubject: Re: Auto body questions(ask here)   Auto body questions(ask here) - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 31, 2008 8:11 pm

i dont know how much his class is but mine was about 8000 a year and its a 2 year class, but they give u everything
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: Auto body questions(ask here)   Auto body questions(ask here) - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 31, 2008 11:02 pm

this class is $150 for 12 weeks, 1 class/week, 3 hours. It's at the local voc-tech high school. No supplies are included, but they have most tools. The tools are kinda crappy, bringing my own tools is better.

They wouldn't care if I brought my camera in, I'd just look like a whacko...

It's really hard to paint a whole car. The shop has 40 kids in there during the day, so they can't be sure the booth will be empty. Also, it's only 3 hours long so there isn't enough time to mask, paint, bake, and unmask a car to get it out of there in the same night. That said, my garage will be a fine booth for a whole-car paint, once I know what the heck I'm doing. If we arrange to have the booth cleared out, we will be able to paint large parts as a class...
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Guru
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Auto body questions(ask here)   Auto body questions(ask here) - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 01, 2008 4:22 am

Not a bad price at all.
Back to top Go down
palermocorey90
Expert
palermocorey90

PostSubject: Re: Auto body questions(ask here)   Auto body questions(ask here) - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 01, 2008 8:36 am

im sorry to tell you this but 3 hours is plenty of time. to mask, prime, seal, base coat,and clear coat, then bake.that step can be done in less then an hour. its the prep that takes time, if your work sucks be for you paint then the paint is going to suck, just remeber that
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: Auto body questions(ask here)   Auto body questions(ask here) - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 01, 2008 10:03 am

we'll see. I really want to paint my car. I don't know if I'll have all the prep work done in time for the class to end, so I might end up making my own garage into a spray booth. I'd be happier there anyway, so I can take my time and be careful. I really don't want to rush it.

I'll get lots of practice on the individual parts I want to do on my van, plus I'll use the class to prep my car, pulling the dings and repairing a couple of little rusty spots so it will be easier for me to set up and paint at home.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Guru
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Auto body questions(ask here)   Auto body questions(ask here) - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 01, 2008 7:46 pm

I'd paint at home too. Rushing is never fun.
Back to top Go down
palermocorey90
Expert
palermocorey90

PostSubject: getting ready to do my body work   Auto body questions(ask here) - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 22, 2008 9:47 pm

ok well spring is finally almost upon us new yorker's. and its been a long hard winter. but my car is just about ready to go in to the body shop. im sorry to say that my concept bumper didn't work out. there wasn't enough support to prevent flexing .ooo well. now to the point of this thread. what should i shave. should i shave the side molding if i do who ever wants it can have em for free, just pay shipping. same with all shaved parts. door handles, im not so sure because im going to want to go to the track. then antenna is a must . the bumpers yupp,

so lets see

Shaved front bumper
Shaved molding
Shaved rear bumper
Shaved trunk
Shaved antenna
Shaved emblems
Custom side skirts for exhaust
Back to top Go down
nothincame2mind
Aficionado

Name : Ryan
Merit : 20

PostSubject: Re: Auto body questions(ask here)   Auto body questions(ask here) - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 22, 2008 9:55 pm

OMG, I've been thinking about shaving the antenna too. I want to see how it looks first. How about a ghost "R" on the hood. Maybe ghost script of "Riviera" on the side.
Back to top Go down
palermocorey90
Expert
palermocorey90

PostSubject: Re: Auto body questions(ask here)   Auto body questions(ask here) - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 22, 2008 10:12 pm

yea thats paint work im no wear near that yet
Back to top Go down
97rivman
Fanatic
97rivman

Name : alex
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: Auto body questions(ask here)   Auto body questions(ask here) - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 23, 2008 5:36 am

sounds like exacly what my plans are. Im going with a stealth like matte black color. hopefully radar will have less chance of picking it up
Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

Name : Randall
Merit : 87

PostSubject: Re: Auto body questions(ask here)   Auto body questions(ask here) - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 23, 2008 8:06 am

97rivman wrote:
sounds like exacly what my plans are. Im going with a stealth like matte black color. hopefully radar will have less chance of picking it up
It's not just the color that makes them stealth, it is the way they disturb, or don't disturb, the air stream that makes them invisible to radar. I don't think the Riv could ever do that!
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/99Rivman
palermocorey90
Expert
palermocorey90

PostSubject: Re: Auto body questions(ask here)   Auto body questions(ask here) - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 23, 2008 10:19 am

ur right, even blind people love the way a riv looks
Back to top Go down
palermocorey90
Expert
palermocorey90

PostSubject: Re: Auto body questions(ask here)   Auto body questions(ask here) - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 24, 2008 5:25 pm

the color i like is autumn copper

Photobucket
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

Name : ILAN
Merit : 69

PostSubject: Re: Auto body questions(ask here)   Auto body questions(ask here) - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 24, 2008 9:32 pm

The Riviera has a drag coefficient of .03 something or something like that, so it's about as invisible as you can get without being in a Le Mans Prototype or F1 car.

I'm liking that copper color on the Riv. It's a little loud though, maybe tone it down a bit with some black or brown mixed in. Good color, anyway.
Back to top Go down
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

Name : Bert
Merit : 32

PostSubject: Re: Auto body questions(ask here)   Auto body questions(ask here) - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 24, 2008 9:47 pm

Thats some wild looking paint.rock
Who makes that paint?
I bet it is expensive...

Bert
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Auto body questions(ask here)   Auto body questions(ask here) - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Auto body questions(ask here)
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next