Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Would you replace the alternator?

Go down 
+2
deekster_caddy
1998 Riv
6 posters
AuthorMessage
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

Would you replace the alternator? Empty
PostSubject: Would you replace the alternator?   Would you replace the alternator? EmptyTue May 06, 2008 2:47 pm

I pulled my alternator at noon today instead of having lunch, getting ready for starting the snout coupler replacement at noon tomorrow. MAN is it a mess on the backside injectors/valve cover area, YIKES!

Anyway, once I had the alt removed, I found there is some internal squeaking when I turn the pulley by hand. Not a grinding sound like bad bearings, and it turns smoothly and easily. There are also no apparent charging issues, it seems to function perfectly. I do have radio interference from time to time, that I believe can be a symptom of an alt problem.

I don't notice any sqeaking noise with the engine running. This alt is a reman Delco-Remy unit, NO idea when it was installed. The previous owner's notes do not mention an alt replacement, but has many other details, so it could have been an early failure replacement.

Would you guys go ahead and replace since I have it off already? Maybe would be worth seeing if NAPA can bench test it first...
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: Would you replace the alternator?   Would you replace the alternator? EmptyTue May 06, 2008 3:19 pm

And what's up with "clock position"? On NAPA Online, they list a number of 98 Riv alternator choices. Delco Remy says it is a 7 o'clock position unit, another says 8 o'clock, another says 7:30. Can someone explain the clock position info?
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Would you replace the alternator?   Would you replace the alternator? EmptyTue May 06, 2008 3:23 pm

Clock position indicates the direction of the plug on the back and positive terminal. The same alternator can fit different positions by assembling the front and back halves at different rotations. It depends how many bolts hold the case together as to how many clock positions you can have. Your '68 has 4 possible clock positions, the '98 3.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: Would you replace the alternator?   Would you replace the alternator? EmptyTue May 06, 2008 3:23 pm

Oh, and I would NOT replace the alternator unless you are having a voltage problem.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: Would you replace the alternator?   Would you replace the alternator? EmptyTue May 06, 2008 4:07 pm

deekster_caddy wrote:
............ Your '68 has 4 possible clock positions, the '98 3.

So any of the 3 possible positions will "work" ok on my 98? I hear ya on not just jumping to replacing it. It's just a temptation while I have it out already. With the engine running and hood up, I don't hear any odd noise from the alt, just when I turn it by hand off the car.

Tomorrow's fun at noon will be siphoning out the year old SC fluid so I can pull the snout, maybe get both done in one lunch.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: Would you replace the alternator?   Would you replace the alternator? EmptyTue May 06, 2008 4:39 pm

No, you will not be able to connect the wires in the other 2 clock positions. Technically, yes they would still work, and you can always take an alternator in the "wrong" clock position, open it up and rotate it to meet your needs. This allows the parts stores to carry less alternators, yet service more vehicles. It is considered acceptable for a parts store to open up an alternator in front of the customer and correct the clock position to meet their needs. I've done it many times wink
Back to top Go down
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

Name : Bert
Merit : 32

PostSubject: Re: Would you replace the alternator?   Would you replace the alternator? EmptyTue May 06, 2008 8:13 pm

I would not replace the alternator.

Bert tavis
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: Would you replace the alternator?   Would you replace the alternator? EmptyTue May 06, 2008 8:28 pm

Ok, got it, thanks Derek. (not an electrical whiz here...)

I'm going to put the old alt back on after doing the snout coupler, then get out my multimeter and check voltage readings, just to be sure it's charging adequately.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Would you replace the alternator?   Would you replace the alternator? EmptyTue May 06, 2008 9:03 pm

I would consider replacing the bearing in the alt. Bearings available from rockauto.com.

I have replaced 2 alternators for failed bearings, never had an electrical problem of any note though. Just no access to an arbor press to swap the bearings.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: Would you replace the alternator?   Would you replace the alternator? EmptyTue May 06, 2008 9:42 pm

albertj wrote:
.... Just no access to an arbor press to swap the bearings.

Albertj

Same problem here. It's not a big deal to pull the alternator, so if I have problems later on, I'll deal with it then I guess.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: Would you replace the alternator?   Would you replace the alternator? EmptyWed May 14, 2008 12:33 pm

Just wanted to note, I rechecked the old maintenance info I have from the PO, and the alt was in fact replaced at about 44k miles, so it's got about 75k on it now, a reman Delco-Remy from the dealer.
Back to top Go down
BillBoost37
Junkie

Merit : 26

PostSubject: Re: Would you replace the alternator?   Would you replace the alternator? EmptyWed May 14, 2008 1:30 pm

Hey Dave..i wouldn't change it either.

Not until it makes noise. And at that point..maybe go down and get it some fresh bearings.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: Would you replace the alternator?   Would you replace the alternator? EmptyWed May 14, 2008 8:53 pm

Eh, my "shop" isn't equipped to replace bearings. smile Advance Auto says it's putting out 15+ V so I'm not too worried about it right now. It's given no indications of problems, other than a bit of a squeal turning it by hand when I had it off.
Back to top Go down
98riv

Merit : 30

PostSubject: Re: Would you replace the alternator?   Would you replace the alternator? EmptyMon Jan 07, 2013 9:12 pm

Dave, I noticed my alt having the same problem as yours. Are you still running it, if not how long did it last?

Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Would you replace the alternator?   Would you replace the alternator? EmptyMon Jan 07, 2013 10:14 pm

98riv wrote:
Dave, I noticed my alt having the same problem as yours. Are you still running it, if not how long did it last?

When my current alternator got squeaky I made a mental note to replace it (as I wrote earlier I've no arbor press to R&R the bearings) and after a while (months) it stopped squeaking.

I DO NOT recommend 'wait and see' for a repair strategy, and I wonder if the real problem is I got the bearing wet when I washed the engine time before last. But yeah, it quit squeaking after a couple months. It has been quiet for almost a year now.

I hate when the alt bearing squeaks because it is so darn loud.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Would you replace the alternator?   Would you replace the alternator? Empty

Back to top Go down

Would you replace the alternator?
Page 1 of 1