Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Suspension questions!!!!!!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
landyaht97
Rookie
landyaht97

Name : Timothy
Merit : 0

Suspension questions!!!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Suspension questions!!!!!!   Suspension questions!!!!!! EmptyWed May 14, 2008 12:24 am

Hey guys, Im pretty new to the forum but not to modding my riv.. I got this beautiful car 2 yrs ago with only 35,000 miles yay but alas, Ive caught a big case of the mod bug.. anywho... its summer time and i really want to do a bunch of stuff to the riv.. its a 1997 and im currently about to under go the F body brake mod. In the mean time,Im coming up to about 54,000 miles and noticed my front end likes to do the wave when going at a high rate of speed on the parkway twisted So i decided i want to replace my struts with the KYBs and heard that there is no product number for my yr of rivi. only the 1995-96 and 98-99. But ive heard it can be done to the 97 with a lil rigging. My 1st question is does anyone know what would be the part number for the KYBs for my year? also, the rancho rear shocks... just to double check, i would need the rear strut mounts from a 1995 riv/aurora? Im pretty sure ill have more questions but this would help out a ton! so i can start ordering the right parts! thanks alot!
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: Suspension questions!!!!!!   Suspension questions!!!!!! EmptyWed May 14, 2008 9:41 am

I used the 95 strut mounts when I did the Rancho mod, but they came off a wrecked 95 and were probably as used up as the ones I was replacing. The bad news is, you can't get new replacement mounts of the same design as the 95's (if you can, let me know). The new mounts have the bigger, thicker pin of the 97+ design. It's bad enough grinding down the thin-walled pin on the original 95 mounts, there's no telling how long it would take to do the new design mounts. Maybe an air grinder can do a faster job of it then a Dremel? I've been contemplating the question, but haven't ordered new mounts yet. I'd like to get the old 95's off the car though.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Suspension questions!!!!!!   Suspension questions!!!!!! EmptyWed May 14, 2008 10:12 am

I would not bother with the Rancho rears.

You can get Gabriels for the fronts that behave similar to the KYBs, for the '97. The Gabriels are a good value (inexpensive) but will not last as long as the KYBs (design difference). I had gabriels that lasted over 5 years, did not malfunctoin but I replaved them (with KYBs) when they started seeping oil.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
landyaht97
Rookie
landyaht97

Name : Timothy
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Suspension questions!!!!!!   Suspension questions!!!!!! EmptyWed May 14, 2008 1:38 pm

Well.. if the KYB's last longer... ill probably stick with those.( i want to set it and forget it ) But if you dont recomend the ranchos for the rear what would you then? my rear bounces around more then a horse drawn carriage confused and i hate the air suspension.. side question, Jack the R... would you say the mod was well worth it? i have access to just about any type of tool (Mill / engine lathe) in my engineering department so i can mill down the thin walled pin if need be or go to the junkyard and pick up the rear strut mounts as a last resort... Im just a little lost as to what KYBs to buy with the front??

-Thanks
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Suspension questions!!!!!!   Suspension questions!!!!!! EmptyWed May 14, 2008 2:10 pm

At this mileage the Gabriels should last you at least to 100,000 and probably beyond.

Unless you *never* carry passengers or luggage (adn I mean Never) stick with the facory shocks. if yours are not leaking oil or bulging leave 'em. I am told design life on the rear air shocks is 100,000 miles but don't quote me.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Suspension questions!!!!!!   Suspension questions!!!!!! EmptyWed May 14, 2008 2:35 pm

Timothy, you said you were interested in the F-body brake mod. If so, you need to upgrade to '98-99 control arms. Does anyone know if he could then use '98-99 KYBs?

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Suspension questions!!!!!!   Suspension questions!!!!!! EmptyWed May 14, 2008 4:23 pm

landyaht97 - everyone who has done the Rancho mod has said they're awesome. I think they're awesome, especially with the reinforced STB. In fact there are times when my car feels like it's rotating on glass. The only gripes I've seen about the Rancho's so far are from people who haven't tried them bonk

ewolfe (who has Rancho's) filled up his Riv enough to make the back sag, and cranked the Ranchos up to a higher setting as a solution. I haven't tried this myself, and don't understand how it would work since shocks appear to have nothing to do with ride height, but he claimed it worked and if you follow what he's doing to his car he certainly seems to have his act together.

If you've got access to heavy machining tools and you're not hurting for cash, by all means get the new mounts. I'm sure the thick pin can be ground down to a shorter length, but I have to do it by hand with a dremel and that kinda sucks. If your's turn out well maybe I'll ask you to do a pair for me wink
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Suspension questions!!!!!!   Suspension questions!!!!!! EmptyWed May 14, 2008 9:00 pm

I replaced all my struts/shocks with Monroes and I like them a lot (but I don't like a harsh ride). I also put in the rear Addco sway bar, that made a big difference by itself. Going to do the front this weekend. Also, search for the STB mod for the front. It's a caddy STS stock STB, costs like $25-$30 from the dealer. Just awesome.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Suspension questions!!!!!!   Suspension questions!!!!!! EmptyWed May 14, 2008 11:08 pm

I was looking at one of my old 97 mounts a while ago and noticed there are three little bumps near the top which I suppose center the shock stud. I think they are high enough that you'd have to grind into them to shorten that pin enough. That would probably be a bad thing, and I'm not sure what the solution is. Maybe ewolfe has an answer.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Suspension questions!!!!!!   Suspension questions!!!!!! EmptyThu May 15, 2008 8:47 am

I'm with D-rock. Monroes are great for the rear, especially if you want to retain the ELC function.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Suspension questions!!!!!!   Suspension questions!!!!!! Empty

Back to top Go down

Suspension questions!!!!!!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum