The 8th Gen Riviera Resource
 
HomeDashboardSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

 

 FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection?

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Its a car part now
Member


Name : Michael
Age : 35
Location : Illinois Valley
Joined : 2009-01-31
Post Count : 98
Merit : 4

FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection?   FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection? - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 2:52 pm

The fluid sprayed won't affect if the coating comes off, chemically the coating would hold up if you where spraying battery acid(Teflon is unaffected by undiluted sulfuric acid, or straight methanol).

The coating would be taken of by fluid hitting it under pressure, even if its just water. Some of the cheaper W/I kits used nozzles that don't turn the water into a mist, the droplets then pound on the rotors chipping the coating (on turbo cars it brakes tiny bits of metal off so the wheel looks like mice gnawed on it). If a high quality noozle is used the water/alcohol looks like fog, so it shouldn't damage the coating. Aquamist/erl, snow performance, devil's own, and alcohol injection systems all use the better types of nozzle.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Age : 42
Location : C-bus, Ohio
Joined : 2007-01-13
Post Count : 18370
Merit : 241

FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection?   FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection? - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 2:55 pm

Well, I have an extra blower on the shelf, so maybe I'll try it sometime. Would be good to know if these "high quality" nozzles really make a difference.

_________________
'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'05 GTO • 85k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26
Because fun


'70 Olds Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe • 116k miles • 455 Rocket V8
Because cool


'95 Celica • 152k miles • 0-60: yes
Because free
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Its a car part now
Member


Name : Michael
Age : 35
Location : Illinois Valley
Joined : 2009-01-31
Post Count : 98
Merit : 4

FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection?   FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection? - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 27, 2010 3:29 pm

I found some sites this morning saying the rotors are epoxy coated, not Teflon coated.
If they are epoxy they may not be chemically unaffected by methanol(or gas, seafoam, throttle cleaner) like I thought (some epoxy is resistant, some isn't). The Devil's own site says the epoxy is unaffected on the 97+ gtp, but they are also tiring to sell there kit. They said the coating on the series I m62 is not resistant.

The better noozle would still help with cooling and even distribution. All the major brands use good nozzles anyway, just the homemade ones and small sites use the cheap ones.
Back to top Go down
Karma
Aficionado
Karma

Name : Andrew
Age : 35
Location : Ontario, Canada
Joined : 2008-01-14
Post Count : 1949
Merit : 122

FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection?   FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection? - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 14, 2010 11:09 am

About meth injection, I've read pretty much the same thing. Some say it will peel the rotor coating, others say it will be fine. From what I can tell the ones that had peeling coatings were blowers from <=97 where Eaton hadn't quite gotten the best adhesion between rotor coating and rotor. Although, as you say, there isn't much hard data or pics for either scenario. If I were to do meth injection, I think I would be leaning to a system that sprays in the LIM. Few people have done it that way, but the theory is that the spray pattern is more even and you get better dispersion to all the intake runners than from pre supercharger. Which does make sense; any system that is pre SC will blast the moist air into the end of your LIM due to the triangle outlet.

_________________
Warning!
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru


Name : Rick
Location : Lancaster, MA
Joined : 2008-09-13
Post Count : 6232
Merit : 112

FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection?   FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection? - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 14, 2010 11:41 am

Where in the LIM would you suggest putting the spray nozzle so that it could provide all cylinders with the water injection.?
Or, in your opinion, would it be necessary to have six custom sized injectors mounted in each intake runner.?
I know that the 6 injector's would be ideal yet that is just not doable.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Age : 42
Location : C-bus, Ohio
Joined : 2007-01-13
Post Count : 18370
Merit : 241

FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection?   FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection? - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 14, 2010 11:57 am

6 injectors in the manifold, I think it has been done. At least, I've seen it done with N2O injection on a V8.

Maybe someone could modify an IC core to introduce mist into the LIM after compression. The IC would help keep the mist nice and cool, or the water/alcohol might aid the IC by lowering it's core temp.

_________________
'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'05 GTO • 85k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26
Because fun


'70 Olds Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe • 116k miles • 455 Rocket V8
Because cool


'95 Celica • 152k miles • 0-60: yes
Because free
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Karma
Aficionado
Karma

Name : Andrew
Age : 35
Location : Ontario, Canada
Joined : 2008-01-14
Post Count : 1949
Merit : 122

FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection?   FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection? - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 14, 2010 12:04 pm


_________________
Warning!
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru


Name : Rick
Location : Lancaster, MA
Joined : 2008-09-13
Post Count : 6232
Merit : 112

FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection?   FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection? - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 14, 2010 12:24 pm

AA wrote:
6 injectors in the manifold, I think it has been done. At least, I've seen it done with N2O injection on a V8.

Maybe someone could modify an IC core to introduce mist into the LIM after compression. The IC would help keep the mist nice and cool, or the water/alcohol might aid the IC by lowering it's core temp.
I'm researching and considering the water/meth injection so i do not to have to install an inter-cooler.
In the beginning of this quest for knowledge I thought that installing a water/meth system would ultimately be less expensive and easier to install than installing an intercooler. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm not done with the research either.
Back to top Go down
Karma
Aficionado
Karma

Name : Andrew
Age : 35
Location : Ontario, Canada
Joined : 2008-01-14
Post Count : 1949
Merit : 122

FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection?   FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection? - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 14, 2010 12:38 pm

for around 400 bucks you could get the raw materials for a 6 point injection kit from devilsown. That would be nozzles, pump, controller with built in MAP. Would need some tube and fittings for install. They do have a 3800 kit, but its single nozzle and pre-blower.

http://www.alcohol-injection.com/

For my upside-down m90 blower project I'm actually leaning in this direction for effectiveness and cost. A custom water-to-air would be easily double the price, air-to-air presents problems for me to have equal distribution back to the runners upon return from the IC core. But with the 6 runners just curving the outside of the blower, it would be easy for me to tap into each, for meth or nitrious.

For the series 2, you might be able to tap into each runner with .75 gph nozzles, or go the route of two spraying across the LIM plenum.

_________________
Warning!
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru


Name : Rick
Location : Lancaster, MA
Joined : 2008-09-13
Post Count : 6232
Merit : 112

FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection?   FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection? - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 2:15 pm

AA wrote:
6 injectors in the manifold, I think it has been done. At least, I've seen it done with N2O injection on a V8.

Maybe someone could modify an IC core to introduce mist into the LIM after compression. The IC would help keep the mist nice and cool, or the water/alcohol might aid the IC by lowering it's core temp.

AA, I wasn't able to log on to this site.
Have you personally been doing any research or read of someone that has been successful in injecting water/meth into the LIM at 6 locations for an even distribution of a cocktail into the LIM that is even and and not detrimental to the operation of the intake system.?

I have not done any recent research and have sold my Gen V and L32 Lim. For a while i was under the impression that that the GenV' coating was impervious to the windshield washer fluid, but have seen otherwise.

I am still interested in injecting in the LIM, at 6 or less locations, if someone has provides the bench testing to provide positive results, along with a certain system.(Snows,etc.)
Does anybody have any feedback yet on this issue.

If not, Then I will have to get a stock LIM and try to get some flow bench time and see what windshield washer fluid will do, regarding flow through numerous injectors into the combustion chambers and totally remove the Supercharger from the equation.
Just provide a certain amount of pressure to the LIM, with it capped off on the intake side and see what the flow pattern is like through the innards and measure with some probes the pressure at each intake port.

Do you think I'm taking the correct approach.?
Back to top Go down
Hometown Hero
Junkie
Hometown Hero

Name : Klix
Age : 41
Location : Barrhead, Alberta Canada
Joined : 2009-11-18
Post Count : 805
Merit : 16

FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection?   FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection? - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 2:29 pm

My new M62 had the teflon stripped during the reman process. I can compensate by dropping another pulley size, and since the is no coating I can run meth without much trouble.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Age : 42
Location : C-bus, Ohio
Joined : 2007-01-13
Post Count : 18370
Merit : 241

FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection?   FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection? - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 2:39 pm

Quote :
Have you personally been doing any research or read of someone that has been successful in injecting water/meth into the LIM at 6 locations for an even distribution of a cocktail into the LIM that is even and and not detrimental to the operation of the intake system.?
No... I've only seen it done with N2O on a V-8, and suggested it would be interesting to see someone try the same idea with water/meth injection on our engine. A challenge I'm not quite ready to take on, but maybe someone else could do it?

I have seen pictures of the Teflon coating stripped away as a result of water injection in the intake. I don't think the Gen V's are immune to the effects, but I've never tried it. As Klix says, once the coating is gone, the rotors become less efficient at pumping air, so you could then drop pulley size and not worry about it.

_________________
'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'05 GTO • 85k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26
Because fun


'70 Olds Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe • 116k miles • 455 Rocket V8
Because cool


'95 Celica • 152k miles • 0-60: yes
Because free
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Rickw
Guru


Name : Rick
Location : Lancaster, MA
Joined : 2008-09-13
Post Count : 6232
Merit : 112

FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection?   FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection? - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 2:53 pm

AA wrote:
Quote :
Have you personally been doing any research or read of someone that has been successful in injecting water/meth into the LIM at 6 locations for an even distribution of a cocktail into the LIM that is even and and not detrimental to the operation of the intake system.?
No... I've only seen it done with N2O on a V-8, and suggested it would be interesting to see someone try the same idea with water/meth injection on our engine. A challenge I'm not quite ready to take on, but maybe someone else could do it?

I have seen pictures of the Teflon coating stripped away as a result of water injection in the intake. I don't think the Gen V's are immune to the effects, but I've never tried it. As Klix says, once the coating is gone, the rotors become less efficient at pumping air, so you could then drop pulley size and not worry about it.
But with my Gen V, I thought it would be a big negative.
Removing the coating by using Windshield Washer fluid and then having to reduce pulley size more to make up for the abiadic loss. (I know I spelled this wrong) But I'm not right in the head as of now. I'll hopefully be back soon with a clearer head and i may take an L67 LIM to the shop in some time in the future, make the fixture and nozzles, and see how i can dispurse the fluid below the SC.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru


Name : Rick
Location : Lancaster, MA
Joined : 2008-09-13
Post Count : 6232
Merit : 112

FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection?   FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection? - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 3:26 pm

Karma wrote:
but the theory is that the spray pattern is more even and you get better dispersion to all the intake runners than from pre supercharger. Which does make sense; any system that is pre SC will blast the moist air into the end of your LIM due to the triangle outlet.
I have to agree with the post-sc injection.
Since this statement was written, have you seen any set-ups with proof of research. Along with pictures of where to install the nozzles in the LIM.
I am still willing to try this, and would like to accomplish a reasonably sound set-up while i am replacing my LIM gaskets. Nozzle sizes and locations would obviously be a big plus, if not, the total solution.
I may just have to try it and post results.
Was hoping someone had already done this.
Rick


Last edited by Rickw on Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Age : 42
Location : C-bus, Ohio
Joined : 2007-01-13
Post Count : 18370
Merit : 241

FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection?   FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection? - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 3:45 pm

I just remembered, I have ewolfe's old LIM sitting here in the garage... hmmm.

_________________
'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'05 GTO • 85k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26
Because fun


'70 Olds Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe • 116k miles • 455 Rocket V8
Because cool


'95 Celica • 152k miles • 0-60: yes
Because free
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Rickw
Guru


Name : Rick
Location : Lancaster, MA
Joined : 2008-09-13
Post Count : 6232
Merit : 112

FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection?   FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection? - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 3:55 pm

I would be able to do something with it in August, if you are willing to give it up to science, sort of speak.
Any holes would be able to be plugged and smoothed as original.
Just as a reference, I was able to find a used L32 LIM for about $50.00 IIRC.

But I can not do anything in July, other than gather the nozzle's from the various Manufacturer's of Water-Meth Systems and see who does the best at an all around spray pattern while watching and measuring the pressure's in the spray booth.
I will recruit the guru i know and work to his schedule.
I have one of my motorcycles up for sale right now with a couple of buyers playing back and forth.
The sale of this machine will help finance this research project (inexpensive) along with a another that involves some positive displacement combustion on a V-Twin engine.(Much more expensive)
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Age : 42
Location : C-bus, Ohio
Joined : 2007-01-13
Post Count : 18370
Merit : 241

FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection?   FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection? - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 4:08 pm

Here is a BMW mod thread taking a similar approach (IC/turbo build):

http://www.aquamist.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=1760

I assume all needed info could be acquired at this board.

_________________
'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'05 GTO • 85k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26
Because fun


'70 Olds Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe • 116k miles • 455 Rocket V8
Because cool


'95 Celica • 152k miles • 0-60: yes
Because free
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Rickw
Guru


Name : Rick
Location : Lancaster, MA
Joined : 2008-09-13
Post Count : 6232
Merit : 112

FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection?   FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection? - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 4:46 pm

AA wrote:
Here is a BMW mod thread taking a similar approach (IC/turbo build):

http://www.aquamist.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=1760

I assume all needed info could be acquired at this board.
Actually, Not.
That system is custom for it's application and is good for that application as no serious adjustment's have to be made for it's application.

Although,
This would be a somewhat similar system to the Snow System that has a control unit tailored to the GM MAF that controls the fluid amount based on the Hz of MAF.
(0 -5v ) It allows itself to be tied directly into the TPS and MAF, which is one of the systems I am leaning toward because it is tailored to the known frequencies of the GM 3800 System.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Age : 42
Location : C-bus, Ohio
Joined : 2007-01-13
Post Count : 18370
Merit : 241

FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection?   FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection? - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 5:33 pm

Quote :
Actually, Not.
That system is custom for it's application and is good for that application as no serious adjustment's have to be made for it's application.
I have no idea what the above statement means, but the fact that the BMW guy is mounting multiple water sprayers in the manifold, after the compressor, is very similar to what we are trying to do. His is turbo and custom to his application, and ours would be custom to our application, but the principle is the same. There is also a lot of other information in that thread/forum that is applicable to water injection.

_________________
'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'05 GTO • 85k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26
Because fun


'70 Olds Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe • 116k miles • 455 Rocket V8
Because cool


'95 Celica • 152k miles • 0-60: yes
Because free


Last edited by AA on Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Rickw
Guru


Name : Rick
Location : Lancaster, MA
Joined : 2008-09-13
Post Count : 6232
Merit : 112

FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection?   FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection? - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 5:39 pm

Google Snow Performance and look for the unit that is specifically made for the GM with MAF Control.
Right now that site can better explain things.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Age : 42
Location : C-bus, Ohio
Joined : 2007-01-13
Post Count : 18370
Merit : 241

FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection?   FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection? - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 5:52 pm

Nice find, but the kits aren't intended for multi-jet manifold application as far as I can tell. There's also a MAP controlled unit sold there. Kits are a bit more than I'd want to spend at $400+.

According to Snow, there is no problem with injecting before the throttle body:

"Positive Displacement Supercharger: Roots style (B&M, Eaton, Magnuson, etc.) or twin screw (Lysholm, Kenne Bell, Whipple, etc.) Mounting the nozzle before this style of blower is perfectly safe and actually provides some additional benefits. The small amount of water-methanol fluid isn’t harmful to any rotor seals or surfaces or coatings, and it helps to seal the clearances and condense the air some more, resulting in a more efficient output. Additionally, it keeps the rotors and housing MUCH cooler, which reduces heat transfer to the rest of the intake and air charge."

Maybe we should do some more research on the rotor coatings to know if it's really something to be worried about. Obviously, if it's safe to inject pre-blower, there are some clear advantages in doing so.

_________________
'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'05 GTO • 85k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26
Because fun


'70 Olds Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe • 116k miles • 455 Rocket V8
Because cool


'95 Celica • 152k miles • 0-60: yes
Because free
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Rickw
Guru


Name : Rick
Location : Lancaster, MA
Joined : 2008-09-13
Post Count : 6232
Merit : 112

FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection?   FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection? - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 5:59 pm

As, I said, I have watched their website for the past 2 years. At first, they did not offer the GM Maf Controller, but continued to say that Water/Meth, Windshield Washer fluid would not cause any loss of coating. But i didn't believe it based on other input I was receiving.
So I still think, injecting in the LIM is the way to go, otherwise i would have installed the GenV and just shot the the fluid as they recommended.
So, I am still looking to engineer a way to spray in the LIM effectively.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Age : 42
Location : C-bus, Ohio
Joined : 2007-01-13
Post Count : 18370
Merit : 241

FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection?   FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection? - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 11:50 pm

Should be as easy as picking a few places with proper clearance, then threading the correct jet. Many need 6 jets, maybe 2 or 3 would do, as in the BMW example. Then route all to a splitter and use the MAFF kit to control the pump.

_________________
'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'05 GTO • 85k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26
Because fun


'70 Olds Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe • 116k miles • 455 Rocket V8
Because cool


'95 Celica • 152k miles • 0-60: yes
Because free
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
SCbuick010
Member


Name : Bryan
Joined : 2010-02-09
Post Count : 73
Merit : 1

FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection?   FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection? - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 24, 2010 2:27 am

My buddy had a buick ultra a few years ago, and he injected straight washer fluid before the throttle body, without any harm to his supercharger rotors. He ran a 8.0 in the 1/8th mile with only long tubes, custom exhaust, 2.8" pulley, meth injection, a tune, drag radials, and a few other small things. The car ran really hard, but with that 2.8" pulley there was quite a bit of heat, but the meth helped out a little bit
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Age : 42
Location : C-bus, Ohio
Joined : 2007-01-13
Post Count : 18370
Merit : 241

FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection?   FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection? - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 24, 2010 8:43 am

How do you know it did not harm the SC rotors? 2.8" is an extremely small pulley - any idea how much boost he was running?

_________________
'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'05 GTO • 85k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26
Because fun


'70 Olds Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe • 116k miles • 455 Rocket V8
Because cool


'95 Celica • 152k miles • 0-60: yes
Because free
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Sponsored content




FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection?   FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection? - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down
 
FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection?
Back to top 
Page 3 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Kingsbury Water Park
» Water Tanks
» Swift Water Rescue Technician Course
» Top Water blank session
» how much mud and water?

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riviera Performance ::   Supercharged 3800 Tech :: Series II Engine & Transmission-
Jump to: