Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Installing a Rear Strut Tower Brace

Go down 
+16
Abaddon
chitown_riv98
robotennis61
High Chaparral
matt270avian
sall
al_roethlisberger
charlieRobinson
Sir Psycho Sexy
RidzRiv
deekster_caddy
AA
98riv
T Riley
BillBoost37
Jack the R
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Sir Psycho Sexy
Junkie
Sir Psycho Sexy

Name : Tyler
Merit : 20

tower - Write-Up: Installing a Rear Strut Tower Brace - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Rear Strut Tower Brace   tower - Write-Up: Installing a Rear Strut Tower Brace - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 03, 2013 11:13 am

Can anyone whos done this mod tell me how much room there is behind the bar when you put it in? Im considering doing this and building a sub box to either fit in snugly behind it, or just build the box around the bar...
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

Name : Charlie
Merit : 31

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Rear Strut Tower Brace   tower - Write-Up: Installing a Rear Strut Tower Brace - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 03, 2013 12:23 pm

Tyler, did you get an STS STB for the back or are you using another part?
Back to top Go down
Sir Psycho Sexy
Junkie
Sir Psycho Sexy

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Rear Strut Tower Brace   tower - Write-Up: Installing a Rear Strut Tower Brace - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 03, 2013 12:27 pm

I havent actually gotten it yet. Im getting one for the front for sure, but im considering getting one for the back while im at it. Maybe i will just custom fab one from sheet metal and a pipe...
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Rear Strut Tower Brace   tower - Write-Up: Installing a Rear Strut Tower Brace - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 03, 2013 4:13 pm

has anyone had the front bar work in the back perfectly with no modding? Is it even possible? I havent taken a close enough look to even see if there are mounts for the brackets.

Back to top Go down
al_roethlisberger
Junkie
al_roethlisberger

Name : Al Roethlisberger
Merit : 24

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Rear Strut Tower Brace   tower - Write-Up: Installing a Rear Strut Tower Brace - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 03, 2013 5:09 pm

charlieRobinson wrote:
has anyone had the front bar work in the back perfectly with no modding? Is it even possible? I havent taken a close enough look to even see if there are mounts for the brackets.

Not sure how that would work, noting Jack's photos at the beginning of this thread. I think the front bar is too short to cut/modify for a drop-in fit, and requires the extension plates Jack had made.

I just dropped Jack a PM the other day to see if he may have had any templates of the extension plates he used.

Al
Back to top Go down
Sir Psycho Sexy
Junkie
Sir Psycho Sexy

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Rear Strut Tower Brace   tower - Write-Up: Installing a Rear Strut Tower Brace - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 03, 2013 6:07 pm

From the looks of it, there is no chance of the holes matching up with the shock mount... It actually almost seems like custom fabbing one would be easier (and cheaper!) than modding the STS one.
Back to top Go down
al_roethlisberger
Junkie
al_roethlisberger

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Rear Strut Tower Brace   tower - Write-Up: Installing a Rear Strut Tower Brace - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 04, 2013 11:45 am

Sir Psycho Sexy wrote:
From the looks of it, there is no chance of the holes matching up with the shock mount... It actually almost seems like custom fabbing one would be easier (and cheaper!) than modding the STS one.

I think you are right. It would probably be less expensive too.

It would be a very easy and probably cheap piece to have someone make, or for one to do themselves if you have welder.

Al
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Rear Strut Tower Brace   tower - Write-Up: Installing a Rear Strut Tower Brace - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 04, 2013 11:50 am

someone with some skills + equipment should price$ it and mass produce it then ship one to all of us!

YEAH!

Back to top Go down
Sir Psycho Sexy
Junkie
Sir Psycho Sexy

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Rear Strut Tower Brace   tower - Write-Up: Installing a Rear Strut Tower Brace - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 04, 2013 6:38 pm

Write up coming as soon as i have time! Ideas are all up in my head, just need to take some measurements and make it happen!
Back to top Go down
sall

Name : sall
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Rear Strut Tower Brace   tower - Write-Up: Installing a Rear Strut Tower Brace - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 02, 2014 7:36 pm

Sir Psycho Sexy wrote:
Write up coming as soon as i have time! Ideas are all up in my head, just need to take some measurements and make it happen!

What did you end coming up with? I have some 1" square stock to use for this. I like many of the things I see around here. Much more adventurous than most of the Aurora owners  yay 
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

Name : Matt
Merit : 54

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Rear Strut Tower Brace   tower - Write-Up: Installing a Rear Strut Tower Brace - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 02, 2014 7:43 pm

Let us know how noticeable it is compared to the rear bar. This is something I've been thinking about doing since I have access to a welder, but I don't want to lose any more trunk space.
Back to top Go down
sall

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Rear Strut Tower Brace   tower - Write-Up: Installing a Rear Strut Tower Brace - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 02, 2014 7:49 pm

matt270avian wrote:
Let us know how noticeable it is compared to the rear bar. This is something I've been thinking about doing since I have access to a welder, but I don't want to lose any more trunk space.

Do you mean in addition to the rear STS sway bar?

I have a custom subwoofer enclosure installed there and would hate to have to rid of it as well. As it was designed to access spare tire easily if needed.

I could flip the OP brace design to face the rear instead and same effect or no? I believe I have seen some rear STB angled this way.
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Rear Strut Tower Brace   tower - Write-Up: Installing a Rear Strut Tower Brace - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 02, 2014 7:57 pm

sall wrote:
Do you mean in addition to the rear STS sway bar?

Yes, that's exactly what I mean. If I were to make one I would design it to wrap right up against my box, and to possibly be detachable without too much hassle. The hard part would be figuring out a mechanism that allows the bar (or part of it) to be removed that's not bulky and doesn't deteriorate the function of the bar itself.
Back to top Go down
sall

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Rear Strut Tower Brace   tower - Write-Up: Installing a Rear Strut Tower Brace - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 02, 2014 8:08 pm

When I get around to it I will be sure to post results. Some time within the year haha.
Back to top Go down
Sir Psycho Sexy
Junkie
Sir Psycho Sexy

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Rear Strut Tower Brace   tower - Write-Up: Installing a Rear Strut Tower Brace - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 03, 2014 4:45 pm

I never ended up doing my bar. This winter has sucked so bad, and I don't have a heated garage to work in. Also, I usually don't drive my car like a crazy person, and I like the feel of the car as it is, so I'm not too worried about putting the bar in.
Back to top Go down
al_roethlisberger
Junkie
al_roethlisberger

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Rear Strut Tower Brace   tower - Write-Up: Installing a Rear Strut Tower Brace - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 03, 2014 5:53 pm

Yeah, other than "a little extra" possible handling enhancement and the "fun project" factor....   I have to wonder how much this would really help.

If one looks up under the rear package shelf, there is a pretty sturdy box "beam" (if I recall) just in front of and across the gap between the rear shock towers.  And we've also got that cross-bracing behind the seat.  So I wonder if the rear essentially already has the equivalent of the addtional stiffening a rear strut brace would add?

Just speculation, but ...

Al
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Rear Strut Tower Brace   tower - Write-Up: Installing a Rear Strut Tower Brace - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 24, 2014 12:40 am

tower - Write-Up: Installing a Rear Strut Tower Brace - Page 2 2014-041

Will post pictures of it when I take the time to grind down the rough edges and paint it and cut the carpet/sub box to fit it accordingly. Would anyone be interested in buying one if me and my friend were to make them? We had to weld 2 pipes to make it fit. "Production" models would not have this. They would be 1 pipe and 2 plates ground down, primed, and painted.

It seemed that there was more body ROLL after I installed this. I guess since the body can't flex as much anymore the force has to go somewhere, right? It still handles just as good if not better than before. Just feels.... Different.
Back to top Go down
High Chaparral
High Chaparral

Name : Chris
Merit : 1

PostSubject: temp   tower - Write-Up: Installing a Rear Strut Tower Brace - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 24, 2014 9:52 am

Possibly Matt  ? ,
Curious to see how well you like it after a couple more weeks.

tower - Write-Up: Installing a Rear Strut Tower Brace - Page 2 03010

Also giggling  joy  ...............
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Rear Strut Tower Brace   tower - Write-Up: Installing a Rear Strut Tower Brace - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 24, 2014 3:07 pm

Did you use black pipe?
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Rear Strut Tower Brace   tower - Write-Up: Installing a Rear Strut Tower Brace - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 24, 2014 5:08 pm

robotennis61 wrote:
Did you use black pipe?

It was the same type of pipe they use in sprinkler systems. ~1.5" with ~3/8" wall.
Back to top Go down
chitown_riv98
Fanatic

Name : Ruben
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Rear Strut Tower Brace   tower - Write-Up: Installing a Rear Strut Tower Brace - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 25, 2014 1:09 am

Nice matt, do you accept paypal
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Rear Strut Tower Brace   tower - Write-Up: Installing a Rear Strut Tower Brace - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 25, 2014 9:13 am

chitown_riv98 wrote:

I do. Let us get this one completely finished and then we'll figure out a price and what not.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Rear Strut Tower Brace   tower - Write-Up: Installing a Rear Strut Tower Brace - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 25, 2014 11:08 am

matt270avian wrote:

chitown_riv98 wrote:

I do. Let us get this one completely finished and then we'll figure out a price and what not.

Not assuming you wont but,I would use cold rolled tubing for any production models.It's not much more expensive and easier to weld & lighter
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Rear Strut Tower Brace   tower - Write-Up: Installing a Rear Strut Tower Brace - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 25, 2014 1:44 pm

robotennis61 wrote:
Not assuming you wont but,I would use cold rolled tubing for any production models.It's not much more expensive and easier to weld & lighter

We probably would. This one was just made with scraps we had laying around from a job site.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Rear Strut Tower Brace   tower - Write-Up: Installing a Rear Strut Tower Brace - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 25, 2014 8:48 pm

It's simple but awesome.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Rear Strut Tower Brace   tower - Write-Up: Installing a Rear Strut Tower Brace - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Installing a Rear Strut Tower Brace
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next