Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Gah, help with this Intense FWI! (Updated with lots of pics)

Go down 
+4
TType_Riviera
oldsman105
AA
Buapo
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Buapo
Addict
Buapo

Name : Ben
Merit : 2

Gah, help with this Intense FWI! (Updated with lots of pics) Empty
PostSubject: Gah, help with this Intense FWI! (Updated with lots of pics)   Gah, help with this Intense FWI! (Updated with lots of pics) EmptyThu May 15, 2008 5:47 pm

So I've taken everything apart, and I'm kinda stuck.

The IAT sensor... that's that little electronic plug that's stuck in the stock airbox, right?

Because apparently I'm supposed to use this new sensor mount, which is this odd looking cylinder sticking out of the coupler. The new IAT hole does not go through to the tube, I imagine I'm supposed to drill it out so that it does.

I was thinking of installing this tube through the stock airbox, to keep my stock look (it will take a lot of dremmeling to get the tube through that bottom part.

Then, maybe I could use the stock IAT hole again, but it wouldn't give the "correct" reading for my FWI tube, right?

Anyway, I'm working on this while daylight is going away, so respond as soon as possible. Here's the picture of the IAT plug and the new coupler that came with the Intense FWI. The engine bay pic shows where the IAT is, and where it "needs to go" - obviously that little cord ain't stretching that far. Anyway, take a look.

Gah, help with this Intense FWI! (Updated with lots of pics) Intake2
Gah, help with this Intense FWI! (Updated with lots of pics) Intake1

Last edited by Buapo on Sat May 17, 2008 6:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Gah, help with this Intense FWI! (Updated with lots of pics)   Gah, help with this Intense FWI! (Updated with lots of pics) EmptyThu May 15, 2008 6:01 pm

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Buapo
Addict
Buapo

PostSubject: Re: Gah, help with this Intense FWI! (Updated with lots of pics)   Gah, help with this Intense FWI! (Updated with lots of pics) EmptyThu May 15, 2008 6:31 pm

Well, I need to get this together tonight. The idea, however, is great...

I'm still wondering - if I took the IAT cord out of the split loom if it would reach upward towards a downward-pointing cylinder.

But Aaron...

Do you think it absolutely needs to be installed to where the air is flowing?

What I mean is, would a higher temperature reading cause a loss in performance?

Like I said, I'm trying to route this tube through the stock airbox... the only thing the stock airbox would be there would be for appearance.
Back to top Go down
Buapo
Addict
Buapo

PostSubject: Re: Gah, help with this Intense FWI! (Updated with lots of pics)   Gah, help with this Intense FWI! (Updated with lots of pics) EmptyThu May 15, 2008 6:45 pm

Hm... and what epoxy would hold up in an engine bay?

I need a definite recommendation for this one....
Back to top Go down
oldsman105
Junkie
oldsman105

Name : Enrique Patino
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: Gah, help with this Intense FWI! (Updated with lots of pics)   Gah, help with this Intense FWI! (Updated with lots of pics) EmptyThu May 15, 2008 9:07 pm

Buapo wrote:
Hm... and what epoxy would hold up in an engine bay?

I need a definite recommendation for this one....

JB weld
Back to top Go down
TType_Riviera
Fanatic
TType_Riviera

Name : Rob
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Gah, help with this Intense FWI! (Updated with lots of pics)   Gah, help with this Intense FWI! (Updated with lots of pics) EmptyThu May 15, 2008 10:23 pm

RTV silicone black
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2131502/1
Buapo
Addict
Buapo

PostSubject: Re: Gah, help with this Intense FWI! (Updated with lots of pics)   Gah, help with this Intense FWI! (Updated with lots of pics) EmptyFri May 16, 2008 4:27 am

Well, I've used RTV - that would hold, and wouldn't go bye-bye in the engine bay? If so... yay.

Oh, and I decided against.using the stock airbox idea, mainly because the bend is a tad too sharp, and it's even more of a pain in the ass than getting that damn 9" filter to fit into the fenderwell! When people said that it's a tight fit - they weren't fucking kidding! I think the benefit of the 9" cone is going to be much greater than the time I would have saved with, say, a 7" filter.

And, I'm really proud of this - I figured out a way to mount the troublesome "fenderwell horn" so you can still use it, and free up the space for the cone filter (and the 9" one at that).

Here's some pics:

Here you can see the horn tucked away in it's stock position.
Gah, help with this Intense FWI! (Updated with lots of pics) Horn1

And here's where I re-mounted it. It's facing to the "right" rather than down.
Gah, help with this Intense FWI! (Updated with lots of pics) Horn2
The wire for the horn was nice and long, so I just pushed it towards the front bumper where there's some extra room. I used the SAME MOUNTING HOLE that the horn was mounted vertically and used it to mount the horn horizontally behind the stock location.

I should also add that I took pliers to bend the mounting tab a little bit so it would seat flush against the... uh, hole.

The result - I still have a nice horn! I thought the "half-horn" was really wimpy - sounded like a Honda or something.
Back to top Go down
BillBoost37
Junkie

Merit : 26

PostSubject: Re: Gah, help with this Intense FWI! (Updated with lots of pics)   Gah, help with this Intense FWI! (Updated with lots of pics) EmptyFri May 16, 2008 7:21 am

GP's and Bonnies don't have the same iat shape and therefore they fit great in that FWI hole on the coupler.

Going to shave yours or do you need one? I'm sure I've got one laying around that could fall into the mail for you.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Gah, help with this Intense FWI! (Updated with lots of pics)   Gah, help with this Intense FWI! (Updated with lots of pics) EmptyFri May 16, 2008 9:41 am

The idea is to put the IAT sensor where it senses the actual ambient air temp that's coming in the intake. Too close to the TB can make it soak up heat from the engine. Too far away (outside the intake), it's unrealistic because the air coming into the filter could be a different temp. I think the ideal spot is as close to the air filter as possible, doesn't matte if up or downstream, but close to it. It does not even need to be mounted tightly. I've seen some installs where the IAT sensor just lays next to the filter in the air box.

I've seen JB weld crack before, but have never seen RTV fail as long as it's used as an adhesive or seal, and not as a structural support. RTV silicone has very high resistance to temperature extremes. I used it as exhaust sealant on my header pipes and crossover!

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
BillBoost37
Junkie

Merit : 26

PostSubject: Re: Gah, help with this Intense FWI! (Updated with lots of pics)   Gah, help with this Intense FWI! (Updated with lots of pics) EmptyFri May 16, 2008 1:25 pm

I agree a little with locating it where the correct temp air is... The air going into the TB is right before the TB. Plus..the pcm learns where it can add or subtract timing etc based on learned info.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: Gah, help with this Intense FWI! (Updated with lots of pics)   Gah, help with this Intense FWI! (Updated with lots of pics) EmptyFri May 16, 2008 3:07 pm

not sure when it will be back in stock but ZZP has a 18" extension for the IAT
http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_prix/products1.php?id=184

also this is a little off topic, but how does this work?
http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_prix/products1.php?id=183
i didnt think the IAT could change timing :/

Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Gah, help with this Intense FWI! (Updated with lots of pics)   Gah, help with this Intense FWI! (Updated with lots of pics) EmptyFri May 16, 2008 3:25 pm

I thought that was the whole purpose of the IAT sensor - more aggressive timing at cooler intake temps. That's the theory behind putting a resistor on the IAT sensor lead, anyway.

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
Buapo
Addict
Buapo

PostSubject: Re: Gah, help with this Intense FWI! (Updated with lots of pics)   Gah, help with this Intense FWI! (Updated with lots of pics) EmptyFri May 16, 2008 4:35 pm

So much for a quick and easy install.... it doesn't help that I lost the same tools over and over again.

I decided to say screw it and just cut off that coupler. It's just rubber, after all, so who cares.

I just want this thing together, I'm sick of looking at it....
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Gah, help with this Intense FWI! (Updated with lots of pics)   Gah, help with this Intense FWI! (Updated with lots of pics) EmptyFri May 16, 2008 11:47 pm

Funny you should have this thread up. Today I made up my own little 4" experiment with some (don't look) dryer vent. Seeing if I like the upgraded ductwork over my 3" FWI. I'm having trouble justifying the value of FWI in this engine compartment. If you look to the right of the ABS head, the 'fenderwell' is just drawing it's air from the engine compartment anyhow (albeit near the bottom of the engine compartment).

I'm starting to think behind the headlight is as good as anywhere else, plus it gives you the option of removing the headlight assy at the track for easy ram air.
Back to top Go down
Buapo
Addict
Buapo

PostSubject: Re: Gah, help with this Intense FWI! (Updated with lots of pics)   Gah, help with this Intense FWI! (Updated with lots of pics) EmptySat May 17, 2008 5:18 pm

It's finally on... good lord, what an ordeal.

I'll get some pics up really soon.
Back to top Go down
Buapo
Addict
Buapo

PostSubject: Re: Gah, help with this Intense FWI! (Updated with lots of pics)   Gah, help with this Intense FWI! (Updated with lots of pics) EmptySat May 17, 2008 6:54 pm

Alrighty, here's the pictures.

Gah, help with this Intense FWI! (Updated with lots of pics) Intake3
Here you can see that I cut the grommet off there, and got the Riviera's IAT sensor in there. I took off the little gasket that was on the IAT, because that allowed the two "hooks" to do their job holding the IAT inside the tube.

Gah, help with this Intense FWI! (Updated with lots of pics) Intake4
In this pic you can see the IAT. It should be noted that this picture is a preliminary mounting... it popped out later on, so I took that gasket off which helped it stay in there, PLUS I used the silicone everyone was taking about to seal it in there. It's nice and solid now.

Gah, help with this Intense FWI! (Updated with lots of pics) Intake5
This picture illustrates the biggest problem I had - getting the damn hose to turn like I wanted it to. With the kit as is, those aluminum couplers sticking out are too long to get the bends that you need. We don't have any good cutting tools here, so I had to use a metal hacksaw and trim them down by hand - pain in the ass for sure, but it worked.

I should mention that I got sick of taking pictures of my progress because I was getting pissed off. Even after a quick "fitting," I noticed that the IAT plug wire was not long enough. Well, it was, but it was tighter than hell. So I went to the hardware store and bought the little splices, some 18 stranded wire, and extended it myself. Wrapped the whole thing in electrical tape, so it should be good - looks stock, too.

Gah, help with this Intense FWI! (Updated with lots of pics) Intake6
Here it is installed, after all the cutting, silicone-ing, and wiring. I was having a hell of a time getting that intake tube to stretch over the aluminum coupler, so I put a little K&N filter oil on the inside (not much, I used a paper towel to get most of it... it was barely oiled but just enough). It slipped on, I clamped it down and that was it.

Gah, help with this Intense FWI! (Updated with lots of pics) Intake7
There's the bastard filter - it really takes up all the room in there! I'm glad I've got the 9" in there.... it makes me feel all happy and warm inside. The rubber lip of the filter actually comes up THROUGH the intake hole! I was surprised at this.

The final step was cutting the intake tube again, which was scary because I didn't want to screw that up. Worked perfectly.

Overall, I'm pleased. It wasn't designed for the Riviera, and it shows - but with hardly ANY adjustments, Intense could easily market this for the Riviera.

I'll say this - I highly recommend their intake tubing, it's fantastic - as far as the kit goes, I'd say it would be better to assemble everything else yourself. It will take longer, but you'll save more money.

If anyone has any questions about this, lemme know. And thanks for everyone's help, once again!
Back to top Go down
Buapo
Addict
Buapo

PostSubject: Re: Gah, help with this Intense FWI! (Updated with lots of pics)   Gah, help with this Intense FWI! (Updated with lots of pics) EmptySat May 17, 2008 7:27 pm

I should also mention that I took it out for a ride, and it's strange - I can actually "feel" the car breathing better! Everything, the sound, the performance increase, it all feels nice and solid.
Back to top Go down
98riv

Merit : 30

PostSubject: Re: Gah, help with this Intense FWI! (Updated with lots of pics)   Gah, help with this Intense FWI! (Updated with lots of pics) EmptySun May 18, 2008 12:20 am

Buapo wrote:
I should also mention that I took it out for a ride, and it's strange - I can actually "feel" the car breathing better! Everything, the sound, the performance increase, it all feels nice and solid.

Wait until the pcm learns about the new incoming air. You won't want to go back to a gutted air box. There is a big difference between a gutted air box and a CAI or FWI. Enjoy the new power and sound.

PostSubject: Re: Gah, help with this Intense FWI! (Updated with lots of pics)   Gah, help with this Intense FWI! (Updated with lots of pics) Empty

Back to top Go down

Gah, help with this Intense FWI! (Updated with lots of pics)
Page 1 of 1