Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Transmission swap

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Shintsu
Expert

Name : Shintsu
Merit : -16

Transmission swap Empty
PostSubject: Transmission swap   Transmission swap EmptyThu May 22, 2008 5:48 pm

Okay, as I was looking through Ed Morad's parts I saw the tranny from a newer Riviera ('97 I think) and that got me to thinking - can I swap my current transmission with that one? Would I have to buy a PCM from a '97 Riv as well? I'm just thinking, if my tranny ever goes out I could just replace it with a newer one that I could actually use a tuner with instead of my current one that I cannot.
Back to top Go down
Buickman104
Enthusiast

Merit : 0

Transmission swap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Transmission swap   Transmission swap EmptyFri May 23, 2008 12:21 am

Yes you can. Oldsman is doing it. You would need the PCM, driver's side axle, maybe spindles. That is all I can remember off the top of my head.
Back to top Go down
BillBoost37
Junkie

Merit : 26

Transmission swap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Transmission swap   Transmission swap EmptyFri May 23, 2008 7:01 am

Close Buickman.. great info.

Actually it's the passenger side axle that is different. The number of splines are different from 4T60 to 4T65. I think Olds said spindles will stay the same.

PCM, and some minor wiring will be needed to change the connector for the trans. I think it adds 2-3 wires. You would need to run those extra wires into the cabin to the pcm.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Transmission swap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Transmission swap   Transmission swap Empty

Back to top Go down

Transmission swap
Page 1 of 1