Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

engine question

Go down 
+4
AA
98RIV7777
RhinoFLA
dboy
8 posters
AuthorMessage
dboy
Amateur
dboy

Name : dan
Merit : 0

engine question Empty
PostSubject: engine question   engine question EmptyFri Jun 06, 2008 7:54 pm

what would u guys say about pushing our cars to WOT, especially if the car has like 170,000 on it? With my old engine it supposedly had 65,000 miles on it, and i pushed it to the floor maybe 4 or 5 times, and the engine blew. i blew two rods completely off. do u think this happened because i pushed the car too hard or poor maintainence, because i dont think the riv should have blown because of this. i would appreciate the input because i just had a new engine put in with 170,000, seems to run pretty good, im just afraid to touch the gas now.
Back to top Go down
RhinoFLA
Aficionado
RhinoFLA

Name : Ryan
Merit : 4

engine question Empty
PostSubject: Re: engine question   engine question EmptyFri Jun 06, 2008 8:01 pm

Did you have paperwork supporting the first engine had only 65k miles on it? Unless you're heavily modded or had some other problems I highly doubt you'd blow two rods at 65k.
Back to top Go down
98RIV7777
Fanatic
98RIV7777

Name : Anthony
Merit : 1

engine question Empty
PostSubject: Re: engine question   engine question EmptyFri Jun 06, 2008 8:14 pm

I go WOT all the time, almost everytime im in the car and Im modded pretty good so I think it may have been poor maintainence 3gears
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

engine question Empty
PostSubject: Re: engine question   engine question EmptyFri Jun 06, 2008 8:37 pm

There was obviously something wrong with your 65k motor. Going WOT only accelerated what would have eventually happened anyway. I have 160k original miles on my Series II SC, and I WOT usually a couple times per day, although not as much as I used to. If your engine is well-maintained, it should not have any problem with WOT. It's part of driving, the engine was designed to do full throttle without damage.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

engine question Empty
PostSubject: Re: engine question   engine question EmptyFri Jun 06, 2008 9:04 pm

dboy please add some all-important specs to your sig.

I have driven everything I have at every age at WOT some time or another. It happens getting on the highway at onramps ALL THE TIME around here. We have a lot of poorly designed, short onramps to highways were people are doing 70, so often times your only option is to punch it at the end of the onramp and fly up to speed. Drive a slower car... and you're screwed.

What was your previous engine? In this car or a different one? What kind of car was it in? How well was it maintained?

There is not enough info in your post to answer anything about why an engine would throw a rod. Missed shift? OverRevved? Who knows?
Back to top Go down
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

Name : Bert
Merit : 32

engine question Empty
PostSubject: Re: engine question   engine question EmptyFri Jun 06, 2008 9:26 pm

As long as you have good quality oil and the operating temperature is normal you should be able to drive it like you want to. Just watch the Tach and use some common sense.

My daily driver is a 95PA.
If I need to drop the hammer I gouge on it and hold her down.

It surprises me how powerful this car is and how well it handles in the turns.
My wife thinks I am FOS but I think the PA will outrun?outperform the 2000 Regal LS...

Bert tavis
Back to top Go down
98RIV7777
Fanatic
98RIV7777

engine question Empty
PostSubject: Re: engine question   engine question EmptyFri Jun 06, 2008 11:02 pm

I know, thats low milage to be blowing an engine, especially thats stock
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

engine question Empty
PostSubject: Re: engine question   engine question EmptySat Jun 07, 2008 8:32 pm

The low miles mean nothing if it hasn't been properly maintained.
Back to top Go down
dboy
Amateur
dboy

engine question Empty
PostSubject: Re: engine question   engine question EmptySun Jun 08, 2008 3:42 pm

thanks for the help guys. i didnt think the engine should blow either with proper maintainence. i bought the car from someone in the city (rochester) and it was in really good condition inside and out and was only 2000 so i thought it was a good deal. then after the engine blew when me and my friend were looking at it, we saw that there were numbers on it meaning it had been changed. i dont know how it works when u change an engine if the odometer goes back to 0 or what. i was kinda pissed because i dont know if i really had 65000 or not.
Back to top Go down
98RIV7777
Fanatic
98RIV7777

engine question Empty
PostSubject: Re: engine question   engine question EmptyMon Jun 09, 2008 3:02 pm

I think the miles stay the same on the odometer but you just keep records of when new engine was purchased to show true mileage on the new engine, but I maybe wrong, Im 100% sure
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

engine question Empty
PostSubject: Re: engine question   engine question EmptyMon Jun 09, 2008 4:11 pm

if you have the funds, consider getting a good engine from Wilbert's Buick - they are in the Victor area, I've bought parts from them before, and I bet if you can get the riv up there (on a flatbed?) and you call them to arrange for it they may even do the swap for a reasonable price. See http://www.wilbertsgmparts.com/aboutus.htm, http://www.wilbertsgmparts.com/engines.htm, or the index http://www.wilbertsgmparts.com/. You can email them. Their pricing is "in the middle" but their quality is pretty high. I think much if not most of their business is repair shops/used car lots.

Other than a used engine - if you want a remanufactured engine I bet it won't be too hard to find a shop in Rochester that will source a good engine and swap for you but don't be surprised if it's more than $2,000 to get that done.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
dboy
Amateur
dboy

engine question Empty
PostSubject: Re: engine question   engine question EmptyMon Jun 09, 2008 9:22 pm

thanks albertj, but i already bought another rivi for 600 bucks and paid my friend 450 bucks to do the swap for me. not a bad deal if u ask me.... but i have been to wilberts and while they are a good source for buick parts, im not crazy about their prices- i paid 90 dollars for just a side molding piece and gas cap cover. i wish i had the funds to put in a remanufactured engine, i would do it in a heartbeat.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

engine question Empty
PostSubject: Re: engine question   engine question Empty

Back to top Go down

engine question
Page 1 of 1