Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash

Go down 
+21
charlieRobinson
th3fr4nchi5e
Sir Psycho Sexy
al_roethlisberger
GeneMpls
RoughNecks17
turtleman
upstatedon
ghpcnm
robotennis61
BigRay1125
LARRY70GS
BMD
albertj
VJD2
AA
moldymac
sburch23
Jack the R
palermocorey90
steve1173
25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
BigRay1125
Enthusiast
BigRay1125

Name : Ray
Merit : 5

Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash   Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 2:56 pm

im thinking just remove it & replace it or just deal with it ......nope cause its cracked under the speedo also can i heat it & remove it ??

Last edited by BigRay1125 on Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2687212/1995-buick-riviera
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash   Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 4:23 pm

BigRay1125 wrote:
im thinking just remove it & replace it or just deal with it ......nope cause its cracked under the speedo also can i hot it & remove it ??

Yes. but heating it up might damage the finish. if you plan to repair it anyway,then it might be ok. either way,its a big job. maybe replacing it is cost effective. have you spoken to the manufacture? they might have a spare dash only piece laying around to sell you???
Back to top Go down
ghpcnm
Aficionado
ghpcnm

Name : Dave
Merit : 23

PostSubject: Re: Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash   Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 6:34 pm

BigRay1125 wrote:
im thinking just remove it & replace it or just deal with it ......nope cause its cracked under the speedo also can i heat it & remove it ??
Big Ray: To be quite honest with you, we experimented with several different methods in order to remove the old woodgrain kit, including heat, and nothing really seemed to work except elbow grease and lots of patience. If you should decide to remove your old kit, I urge you to dismantle your dash before undertaking the project as that will make the job considerably easier IMO. Good luck to ya!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.americantorque.com/page/0/1189/
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash   Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 7:47 pm

ghpcnm wrote:
BigRay1125 wrote:
Big Ray: To be quite honest with you, we experimented with several different methods in order to remove the old woodgrain kit, including heat, and nothing really seemed to work except elbow grease and lots of patience. If you should decide to remove your old kit, I urge you to dismantle your dash before undertaking the project as that will make the job considerably easier IMO. Good luck to ya!!!

Wow thats some good advise buddy!! Youre so cool!!
Back to top Go down
BigRay1125
Enthusiast
BigRay1125

Name : Ray
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash   Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 7:50 pm

THANX for the advise i mite just deal with it ...its been there since i bought it in 07 so why worry now
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2687212/1995-buick-riviera
ghpcnm
Aficionado
ghpcnm

Merit : 23

PostSubject: Re: Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash   Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 8:08 pm

I don't blame you one bit !
Back to top Go down
http://www.americantorque.com/page/0/1189/
upstatedon
Special
upstatedon

Name : Don
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash   Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 1:28 pm

Found the item at www.carid.com, had to chat with the guy to find it, the part number is 0236-02CS for the honey burl shift surround unit, cost was quoted today at $39.00 a coupon code was mentioned and is AK886,( the initials and phone extension of the guy I was chatting with)
Hope this helps.
Don
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

PostSubject: Re: Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash   Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 11:52 pm

I have a 97 and I can tell you because I was sitting here picking it all off piece by piece for about 2 hours that it was real wood. Once I got through the coating, this stuff was splintering apart. Very thin. Mine started cracking and after looking around a bit, I decided it was not worth it and basically just removed all the trim wood and painted it.
Back to top Go down
RoughNecks17
RoughNecks17

Name : Jordan M
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash   Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 01, 2011 12:25 am

I wish there was more out there for my car. It hard to find stuff for my gen. frown
Back to top Go down
GeneMpls
Amateur
GeneMpls

Name : Gene
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash   Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 22, 2012 12:00 pm

I just pulled mine and in trying to get the remaining plastic off, find that there is a microscopic layer
of wood bonded to an alum panel that is encapsulated in clear plastic- a real pain to get off, BTW it is
a 98.
Back to top Go down
al_roethlisberger
Junkie
al_roethlisberger

Name : Al Roethlisberger
Merit : 24

PostSubject: Re: Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash   Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 13, 2013 9:38 pm

Sorry for resurrecting yet another older thread, but I just pulled a shifter surround from a Riviera at a local "pick-and-pull" and it is not aftermarket and is definitely SOLID and thick real wood.

It was glued and held on with aluminum bent tabs to the plastic surround and had the shift indicator window glued to the rear of it. It was definitely factory and not aftermarket and is not a laminate. It is about 1/8" thick and was integral to the shift surround.

This surprised me as the two other other OEM "wood" shifter surrounds I have seen so far on wrecked 96+ Rivieras in the yards had very worn and cracked wood surrounds that were clearly thin wood laminates or plastic over an aluminum sheet. Usually most of the "wood" was worn off leaving just the metal base.

This is a much different piece, and the console is different as well from a 95. The 95 has the shift surround flowing as one colored plastic piece up and around the console armrest lid release button.

This solid piece of wood instead was recessed and replaced the shifter area instead.

I'll take a photo and post a picture. But it appears to be a solid piece of wood, and very nicely finished.

I don't know what year the Riviera was that I pulled it from unfortunately. If it is still there in a week or two when I go back, I'll try to remember to check.

But it sounds like one or more years briefly had thick real wood at least for the shifter surround.

Al
Back to top Go down
al_roethlisberger
Junkie
al_roethlisberger

PostSubject: Re: Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash   Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 13, 2013 10:07 pm

Some photos. Not sure if this is different from the majority of the OEM wood/plastic-wood trim for the other years and a one or two year oddity, but it sounds like it is different than what most have been describing? I thought it was interesting and different enough to make a mental note of it when I gave it a yank and it came right off and looked like real and thick wood.

You can see that the piece of wood is backed by a very thin piece of what appears to be aluminum, but is just shy of 1/8" thick wood, not a thin laminate and not plastic.

Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash - Page 2 Rivier10

Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash - Page 2 Rivier11

Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash - Page 2 Rivier12
Back to top Go down
al_roethlisberger
Junkie
al_roethlisberger

PostSubject: Re: Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash   Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 13, 2013 10:19 pm

As I don't have any other of the wood/plastic pieces to compare it to, I am coming from this from some degree of ignorance of how the other pieces may be built or look when in good shape.

But I looked at it some more, and it is clear that the wood on this piece is also "encapsulated" with a plastic finish like most interior wood finishes.

But the underlying wood does seem much more thick than a think laminate. If you look at the photo below, you will see an oval hole. This hole is probably about 1/16" deep into the wood, and at the bottom of the hole I can still see natural wood grain. So in this case, the wood base is pretty thick.

Don't know if that helps, or if this is typical for all the other wood/plastic surrounds, but some additional info for those interested.

Al

Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash - Page 2 Rivier13
Back to top Go down
Sir Psycho Sexy
Junkie
Sir Psycho Sexy

Name : Tyler
Merit : 20

PostSubject: Re: Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash   Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 13, 2013 11:35 pm

Hmmmm... I own two 97s and neither of them are like that. Mine have super thin sheet of wood covered by enamel, with aluminum underneath. I used a scraper blade, goof off, and steel wool to get all the wood off so now it has a brushed aluminum look that i like a lot.
Was it a '95 that you pulled that off of in the yard? Besides being much thicker, that is also a darker colored wood than what was in mine.
Back to top Go down
al_roethlisberger
Junkie
al_roethlisberger

PostSubject: Re: Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash   Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 13, 2013 11:51 pm

No, I have a 95 and the 95 entire console shift area is just a solid piece of plastic that is the same interior color as the rest of the console. 95's have no wood trim at all.

This Riviera had the 96+ dashboard with the later radio, wood radio and shifter surround. Not sure what year it was though.

Perhaps it was a 96 and 96 is the lone year made like this? I'm not sure at this point since I don't know the year of the one in the yard.

Al

Back to top Go down
Sir Psycho Sexy
Junkie
Sir Psycho Sexy

PostSubject: Re: Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash   Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 14, 2013 12:16 am

I wonder if in '96, since the supercharger was an option, if the supercharged ones got a little bit nicer trim package?
Back to top Go down
th3fr4nchi5e
Addict
th3fr4nchi5e

Merit : 28

PostSubject: Re: Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash   Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 14, 2013 1:42 am

I believe aside from the wood trim around the stereo, any other wood was applied by the dealership. My car is a 95 and had real wood woodgrain thats pretty thick when it was bought new. It looks like new so the quality of the kit was pretty high. I think it all depended on what the dealership used. As far as I know, there was no factory wood grain aside from around the radio on the 96+ cars only.
Back to top Go down
al_roethlisberger
Junkie
al_roethlisberger

PostSubject: Re: Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash   Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 14, 2013 8:19 am

The construction of the console area around the shifter on a 95 and the 96+ car I pulled this from is completely different.

On a 95, the interior colored plastic shift surround is one smooth piece back and up around the armrest release button. On the later models, the wood/faux-wood shift surround is a separate piece.

It is interesting to note that in a thread elsewhere here about disassembling the console, it is mentioned that the later wood/faux-wood shift surround can be removed by removing some push-nuts from some rear studs to lift it off. This particular piece was glued and mounted with bent metal tabs, and the shift indicator window had been bonded to the rear of the piece. So it was built to be a semi-permanent and non-removable part of the console. So if the description that some of these wood shift surrounds can be removed by undoing some push nuts, that is another interesting distinction because this example doesn't seem to have that option.

95's had no wood trim from the factory AFAIK.

Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

Name : Charlie
Merit : 31

PostSubject: Re: Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash   Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 14, 2013 9:29 am

Has anyone picked off the plastic wood pieces and polished up the metal surface underneath? worth it? any final clean up pics? Over the last couple months, mine has beginning to splinter and i've began picking at it. Considering cleaning it up and polishing it and seeing what happens
Back to top Go down
Sir Psycho Sexy
Junkie
Sir Psycho Sexy

PostSubject: Re: Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash   Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 14, 2013 4:27 pm

I did it and i am pretty happy with the outcome. I dont have any pics right now but i could take one. I used a flat scraper blade, steel wool, goof off, and a shop vac and it took me about an hour. Took the steel wool to it going all in one direction after i got everything off to give it a brushed aluminum look.
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash   Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 14, 2013 4:32 pm

that's what I am going to attempt. That and two tone the interior. Black n Tan. Yeeeeeeeeeahhhh.

I have some black and red interior parts from the last Riv that I am going to be swapping in. Can't wait for Spring/Summer redecorating. I want to get all that muppet fluff BS upholstery out and replaced with carbon fiber.
Back to top Go down
Sir Psycho Sexy
Junkie
Sir Psycho Sexy

PostSubject: Re: Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash   Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 14, 2013 4:36 pm

Thats going to be awesome. Is your interior currently tan? If so, i would be very interested in buying some things off of you if you decide to swap other stuff in...
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash   Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 14, 2013 7:12 pm

Quote :
Has anyone picked off the plastic wood pieces and polished up the metal surface underneath? worth it? any final clean up pics?
Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash - Page 2 78D22564-orig

Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash - Page 2 3C487646-orig

Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash - Page 2 IMG_4565

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash   Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 14, 2013 9:48 pm

THATS WAHT IM TALKIN BOUT

Sir Psycho Sexy wrote:
Thats going to be awesome. Is your interior currently tan? If so, i would be very interested in buying some things off of you if you decide to swap other stuff in...

Dude. Yes. Let's trade.
Back to top Go down
al_roethlisberger
Junkie
al_roethlisberger

PostSubject: Re: Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash   Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 14, 2013 10:31 pm

..... that's a die hard motorcyclist there, riding in 10F cool

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash   Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Cracked Wood Trim on Shifter & Dash
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next