Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

full-on system ideas?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

full-on system ideas? Empty
PostSubject: full-on system ideas?   full-on system ideas? EmptyMon Mar 05, 2007 10:17 pm

The double-din factory radio is okay, but I'm ready to move on. Here's what I'm thinking.

Flat screen video panel where the double-din is now for DVD and NAV system
normal din head unit(s) down below - where that dumb CD tray thing is in front of the shifter, and the ashtray and lighter. I can easily relocate the lighter plug if I need it and nobody will ever smoke in my car.

So what to do with that space? I realize I'll need to support whatever goes down low with some bracketry in the rear, but there's so much space back there anything's possible. I've looked through Crutchfield (my personal favorite, we go way back) and there is a ton of other info online...

So I need some reasonably priced suggestions. What can I do with all that friggin space? How hard is it really to put a screen where the OE double-din is? I'm mechanically inclined and not afraid of modifying my interior as needed, but I don't want it to be hacked either. I figure I'd have to pull the dash and while it's out I can fix the display in my heater controls, and when it all goes back together... screen, something, something else... but I don't have a couple of grand for it, just a couple of hundred.

Thanks for any ideas, I'd like this to be a nice hypothetical discussion with real world affordability in mind.

-Derek
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: full-on system ideas?   full-on system ideas? EmptySun Mar 18, 2007 9:22 pm

I'm thinking something like this would look pretty cool in that double-din opening...

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v3/pg/product/details/0,,2076_310069681_369264980_tab=B,00.html?compName=PNA_V3_ProductDetailsComponent

More than I was looking to spend, but it looks like it does... everything!
Back to top Go down
sburch23
Addict
sburch23

Name : Scott
Merit : 14

PostSubject: Re: full-on system ideas?   full-on system ideas? EmptyThu Apr 05, 2007 10:58 pm

I like this idea and have been researching it. Dual and Alpine also make units that should fit. I saw these in Best Buy and looked them up in Crutchfield. The My Car feature said that they would not fit but they also said that the unit I have in it now will not fit. Go figure. These will play CDs so you should not need another unit down below. The CD trays were better than nothing but difficult to get to if you have a cup in the holder. I really do not use since I bought my iPod.

Does anyone have one of these. I wonder about the brightness of that much screen at night. My unit is just a little too bright, even on the dim setting.
Back to top Go down
Pearl Riv
Enthusiast

Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: full-on system ideas?   full-on system ideas? EmptyThu Apr 26, 2007 6:56 pm

I had my CD holder removed and had a center channel installed in it's place. Excellent sound. Check out the pic.

full-on system ideas? ResizedDSC03435
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: full-on system ideas?   full-on system ideas? Empty

Back to top Go down

full-on system ideas?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riv Performance ::   General Tech :: Audio & Electronics-
Jump to: