Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Replacing Heater / Radiator Hoses

Go down 
+12
VegasScott
Eldo
deekster_caddy
robotennis61
Rickw
Jack the R
71gsx455-4spd
Mr.Riviera
98riv
1998 Riv
AA
ibmoses
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

Name : Bert
Merit : 32

Replacing Heater / Radiator Hoses  Empty
PostSubject: Replacing Heater / Radiator Hoses    Replacing Heater / Radiator Hoses  EmptyMon Jun 30, 2008 10:07 pm

While inspecting the underhood area of the wifes 99 Riv I noticed something very odd.suspect

I still have not drained/refilled the coolant so I was looking it over trying to get psyched up for the job.nervous

The lower hose is "two piece" it has a short stub of a hose that is approx. three inches long that is joined to a normal lower radiator hose.

It looks impossible to get those clamps(pinch style factory clamps) off of the lower hose.shout

Is this normal on these cars or specific years only?study

I looked in the service manual and it does not show or mention the two piece hose. Its factory for sure and not something that has been added.

Bert:tavis:

Replacing Heater / Radiator Hoses  Picture_0715
Replacing Heater / Radiator Hoses  Picture_0713-1
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Replacing Heater / Radiator Hoses    Replacing Heater / Radiator Hoses  EmptyMon Jun 30, 2008 10:10 pm

I've taken those clamps off with pliers on other cars. Are they just hard to reach?

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: Replacing Heater / Radiator Hoses    Replacing Heater / Radiator Hoses  EmptyMon Jun 30, 2008 10:38 pm

Hmm, haven't taken notice of anything like that. I ordered upper and lower hoses from the dealer last year, and just got single pieces for each. How can you be sure it's factory? You never know what a previous owner, or a shop, may have done.

How is it joined, is there a nipple in between?
Back to top Go down
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

PostSubject: Re: Replacing Heater / Radiator Hoses    Replacing Heater / Radiator Hoses  EmptyTue Jul 01, 2008 6:57 am

1998 Riv wrote:
How is it joined, is there a nipple in between?

Must be a nipple.

Bert
Back to top Go down
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

PostSubject: Re: Replacing Heater / Radiator Hoses    Replacing Heater / Radiator Hoses  EmptyTue Jul 01, 2008 7:13 am

1998 Riv wrote:
Hmm, haven't taken notice of anything like that. I ordered upper and lower hoses from the dealer last year, and just got single pieces for each. How can you be sure it's factory? You never know what a previous owner, or a shop, may have done.

Yeah you could be right, it may have been added. Sure looks like something that the factory did though...suspect
I guess if no one elses car has this two piece hose it had to have been added...

Also I noticed the radiator is slightly slanted backwards like a corvette.

Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: Replacing Heater / Radiator Hoses    Replacing Heater / Radiator Hoses  EmptyTue Jul 01, 2008 7:36 am

I'll pop the hood before I leave for work this morning, see what mine looks like.

Mine is the same. Appears to me that it is set up that way to make it easier to get the lower hose off at all. Looks like a true PITA to remove the short piece from the rad, at a quick glance.
Back to top Go down
98riv

Merit : 30

PostSubject: Re: Replacing Heater / Radiator Hoses    Replacing Heater / Radiator Hoses  EmptyTue Jul 01, 2008 10:27 am

Mine also is in two pieces. It is what they did from the factory. They make special pliers to remove those clamps. Here is one http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00947390000P.

Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: Replacing Heater / Radiator Hoses    Replacing Heater / Radiator Hoses  EmptyTue Jul 01, 2008 11:08 am

Crazy, why not just use a clamp we can all easily remove. Oh that's right, we're not supposed to work on our own cars. headbutt
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: Replacing Heater / Radiator Hoses    Replacing Heater / Radiator Hoses  EmptyTue Jul 01, 2008 11:37 am

i'm sure those specialty plies work too, but i've always liked using locking pliers like these.
Replacing Heater / Radiator Hoses  300px-Locking_pliers

they are much cheaper than $40 and they arent a one time use tool.

the 96's are single piece lower hoses. the hardest hose clamp IMO is the one connecting the lower radiator hose to the block/WP. PITA to get to but it's a little easier IIRC if you take off the idler tension and coil packs bonk

Back to top Go down
98riv

Merit : 30

PostSubject: Re: Replacing Heater / Radiator Hoses    Replacing Heater / Radiator Hoses  EmptyTue Jul 01, 2008 12:54 pm

I just used big pliers to remove mine last time, but I guess the ones I gave a link to would be good if you didn't have a lot of room. The pliers I linked to are actually pretty cheap compared to other ones. I saw some for $150!

Aficionado
ibmoses

PostSubject: Re: Replacing Heater / Radiator Hoses    Replacing Heater / Radiator Hoses  EmptyTue Jul 01, 2008 8:11 pm

98riv wrote:
Mine also is in two pieces. It is what they did from the factory. They make special pliers to remove those clamps. Here is one [url=http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00947390000P.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00947390000P.[/quote[/url]]

I have those pliers, and used them on the 95PA recently to get the factory clamps off. I was going to reuse them to save a few bucks but its not worth the hassle.

It looks to me like I will have to remove the splash pan or whatever it is called to be able to get the cable pliers on the clamps for the lower hose.

Back to top Go down
71gsx455-4spd

Name : Ken
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Heater Hose Change?   Replacing Heater / Radiator Hoses  EmptyThu Dec 31, 2009 8:09 pm

Anbody ever changed these out? Looks easy at the engine but it's hard to even see the clamps at the heater core, let alone get to them. The current hoses look ok, but are original. I just changed pulleys and belts and while I was in there did radiator hoses, waterpump, and thermostat. Only thing really left are those heater hoses. I'm tempted to return them and just refill with coolant, but I thought I'd ask here if anyone had a faily easy way to get at those buggers.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Replacing Heater/Radiator Hoses   Replacing Heater / Radiator Hoses  EmptyThu Dec 31, 2009 8:20 pm

Gonna replace them when I change antifreeze, which ones do I need?
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Replacing Heater / Radiator Hoses    Replacing Heater / Radiator Hoses  EmptyThu Dec 31, 2009 8:54 pm

JR,
I thought you already changed your Anti-Freeze along with new thermostat prior to the cold weather settling in.???
Oh well, I guess you haven't yet.
I assume you want to change your hoses for preventive maintenance based on age of hoses.
If they are original, at minimum you want to change the Upper and Lower radiator hoses and I would also recommend the 2 heater hoses.
The Upper and Lower radiator hoses are pretty easy and straight foreward, the heater hoses are a bit more challenging because of their location.
You may need one of the special hose clamp pliers to get to the clamps for replacement.
I have the tool and use it on almost all hose clamps so I can't remember if it's necessary or if you can get away without it.
I do remember the lower radiator hose connection at the radiator being almost impossible without the clamp pliers i have. These clamp pliers are cable operated. From the pliers grip the cable is about 18" - 24' long and allows you reach and compress the clamps with ease.
In some areas you just cannot get a regular pair of pliers on the clamps.
Once you look at all the clamps and see how they are orientated you will see what I mean.
Sears sells these pliers if you don't have access to other tool suppliers or maybe the parts store might have a set to loan out, IDK. If i remember correctly the pliers cost about $40.00 to $50.00 now. When I bought mine they were $100.00 and worth every penny when your using them a lot. Our car isn't the only car that you can't get the spring type clamps off without them.
Having looked at my heater hoses and plan on changing them out soon, I can say I'm glad I have these pliers as the clamps are tucked in behind the motor quite tightly.

Last edited by Rickw on Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Replacing Heater / Radiator Hoses    Replacing Heater / Radiator Hoses  EmptyThu Dec 31, 2009 8:58 pm

No real easy way that I know of, but;
If you look at the other post that Jack the R made (Replacing Hoses) just recently, I explained the type of pliers necessary to get those clamps off that you can barely see.

Ken, what other Buick's do you own.?
You mentioned it in your Sig, now we're curious.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Replacing Heater / Radiator Hoses    Replacing Heater / Radiator Hoses  EmptyThu Dec 31, 2009 9:04 pm

I'm afraid the garage and home and road maintenance won out again and again and again . . . You can only have so many things going at once.

Are these the pliers you're talking about - Link

What about these - Link
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Replacing Heater / Radiator Hoses    Replacing Heater / Radiator Hoses  EmptyThu Dec 31, 2009 9:13 pm

The first set from Sears are the ones that will do everything you need them to.
That image even shows you the type of clamps you will be dealing with.

Read the first couple of reviews on those clamps and you will see what I mean, how they are a lifesaver.

They make the difference from not being able to do the job at all, to being able to without frustration.
The price has come down as well. They are well worth the $40.00 they are asking and I don't think you will find them less expensive anywhere else.

After looking around the Sears site a little more I found 2 different pairs of SK Cable Pliers that are the same as the Sears Craftsmen ones and they are both over $100.00.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Replacing Heater / Radiator Hoses    Replacing Heater / Radiator Hoses  EmptyThu Dec 31, 2009 9:55 pm

my advise is to replace all the oe hose clamps with screw type hose clamps. they simplify future repairs...
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Replacing Heater / Radiator Hoses    Replacing Heater / Radiator Hoses  EmptyThu Dec 31, 2009 10:01 pm

robotennis61 wrote:
my advise is to replace all the oe hose clamps with screw type hose clamps. they simplify future repairs...
Since I've bought those pliers, I just reuse the OE type clamps and orientate them where they are accessible for me the next time.

But I agree, if you don't have those pliers and have struggled to get them off, I would replace with worm gear clamps also positioned in a way that you can get a screw driver or a socket on them if they have a hex head.
And if you live up north in salt territory, use stainless clamps.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Replacing Heater / Radiator Hoses    Replacing Heater / Radiator Hoses  EmptyThu Dec 31, 2009 11:45 pm

JR,
Are you going to buy those pliers for your toolbox or do want to pay shipping back and forth for me to send them to you for the job at hand.?
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Replacing Heater / Radiator Hoses    Replacing Heater / Radiator Hoses  EmptyFri Jan 01, 2010 12:15 am

Hmm, let me think on that one. I've got to do the truck too so I might have them for a bit. Thanks for offering either way.

Anyhow I'm looking at the hoses for the Riv (97 Supercharged) on RockAuto. I'm totally beat and headachy right now but it looks like they've got 4 hoses in the cooling section, which are all 4 I need, and then they've got different brand hoses in the heating section? The ones in the heating section are the same hoses as two in the cooling section (heater to engine, heater to pipe), but they're gates instead of AC Delco? I guess the Gates would be better?

At least this is easier to figure out than the truck - dang Silverado has too many models headshot

Alright, what else - any reason not to go with the A-1 Cardone water pump?

What kind of gasket sealant does it take?

What temp thermostat?

What gasket? They've got a "new design" and an "old design."
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Replacing Heater / Radiator Hoses    Replacing Heater / Radiator Hoses  EmptyFri Jan 01, 2010 12:49 am

JR,
The offer stands for the pliers.
As far as the hoses, get the Gates, as the OEM ones are discontinued, so anything in stock as far as AC Delco I would be a bit leery of due to MFG date.
This rest of the stuff can be had at your local Auto Parts store reasonable enough, I wouldn't order from an On-Line store unless you really want to save a trip to the store.
Water pump for the Riv. Again unless you really need one , why replace it. That is not necessarily a preventive maintenance part.
I would only replace it if you were having a problem, i.e. noise or leak.
If you really want to replace the pump then go with the A-1 Cardone. I know my local Advanced Auto Parts sells them with a Lifetime Warranty. Don't know what the on-line stores offer. But I would buy something like that from a local store in case you get one bad out of the box. (crib death)
Those kind of components will either fail early or run for ever. So I always buy them locally even if they are a few more dollars.
If you are going to replace it , just use regular RTV silicone sealant and a thin but even coating on each side of the gasket after cleaning all the old gasket and sealant off.
Stick with the 195* thernostat for a stock engine, much better for it even in the summer.
A properly operating cooling system without the PCM set for modified fan turn on settings will work better with the thermostat recommended.
As far as the "New" gasket or "Old" gasket, I do not have clue what they are referring to.
Again if you buy locally and they offer both, take both, and return the one that doesn't work. But my experience with the local parts store is they are only going to stock what works or they will know the difference between the 2 and can explain.
Let me know what you want to do regarding the tool, again I will ship it to you. I am not going to be using it anytime soon, so you have all the time you need. Can use the USPS offer of "if it fit's it will ship" for $4.95 for the small box.
Happy F#%*N New Year.
Rick

Last edited by Rickw on Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
71gsx455-4spd

Name : Ken
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: Replacing Heater / Radiator Hoses    Replacing Heater / Radiator Hoses  EmptyFri Jan 01, 2010 12:58 am

Thanks for the reply, Rick. I'll check out that other post. In the end I might just bag it and not change them, looks like a major PITA. As far as other Buicks, I have a '71 4-speed GSX that's undergoing a frame-off. That car should be done in May. If you're so inclined, here's a slideshow of that car, starting with pics from about 1978: https://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d196/KJL-61/GSX%20History/?albumview=slideshow. I also have a nice '72 Boattail Riv with a fairly hot 455 in it (around 425 HP). I have a set of ported aluminum heads and an aluminum intake coming for that car. Probably add another 50+ horse. I recently sold a '66 Wildcat with around 32,000 original miles. Also, this is my 3rd mid 90's Riv. had a green '96, then a black '97, now a white '96 (with about 50k documented miles).

I guess you could say I like Buicks!
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Replacing Heater / Radiator Hoses    Replacing Heater / Radiator Hoses  EmptyFri Jan 01, 2010 1:04 am

If you think I should leave it alone, I'll leave it alone. I've got bad memories of having one go out on a long trip and getting ass raped on the repair bill, so I may be overcompensating.

I was going to go with Rock Auto since I've got to order that window motor through them, but maybe it's not the best idea to get the other stuff that way.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Replacing Heater / Radiator Hoses    Replacing Heater / Radiator Hoses  EmptyFri Jan 01, 2010 1:04 am

I guess you could say You Really like Buicks.
So does everyone here. Please feel free to post pic's of all of them. Everyone will be interested.
If you have that many cars you must have a tool collection. With that said for $40.00 add the hose clamp pliers I have mentioned in the other thread, you won't be sorry you did.
Rick
BTW, where in CT are you located.?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Replacing Heater / Radiator Hoses    Replacing Heater / Radiator Hoses  Empty

Back to top Go down

Replacing Heater / Radiator Hoses
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next