Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Little help with poor performance!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
racing007s
Amateur
racing007s

Name : Walt
Merit : 0

Little help with poor performance! Empty
PostSubject: Little help with poor performance!   Little help with poor performance! EmptyTue Jul 01, 2008 3:56 pm

I race my 96 Riv on weekends at a local dirt circle track and have been having a problem with hesitation especially in the ealy part of the show when the car hasn't ran as much. After running for the first part of the show the car really comes alive like it has "warmed up enough" and is ready to race! I can't figure out why but am leaning toward one thing that is left that I haven't taken a look at yet. When I removed the exhaust off the car completely I left the O2 sensor in place but not actually in the line of the exhaust. Imagine the cat removed but the O2 sensor left in place. Do you think that the O2 sensor needs to be closer to the heat of the engine and will that cause the hesitation I've described? Is there a way to bypass the O2 without major consequences? Please help me get back to the winners circle... 5 Wins and wanting more!

Thanks!
Walt
Back to top Go down
http://www.hammerdownspeedway.com
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Little help with poor performance!   Little help with poor performance! EmptyTue Jul 01, 2008 5:09 pm

I'd think the #1 O2 should be in the exhaust stream. #2 (near cat converter) doesn't matter. How many miles are on the engine? If you had a scan tool, it would be easier to verify what's working and what's not. Just an idea. If you have a laptop computer, it's a valuable tool that can be used for multiple vehicles.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
98riv

Merit : 30

PostSubject: Re: Little help with poor performance!   Little help with poor performance! EmptyTue Jul 01, 2008 8:38 pm

I just want to make sure that I read this right, you race your Riv on a dirt track? Have any pictures of you racing it. I bet you get some weird looks at first.

Amateur
racing007s

Name : Walt
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Little help with poor performance!   Little help with poor performance! EmptyWed Jul 02, 2008 8:24 am

Here's a link to a page I made of some of the pics that i have.. I don't have the most current winning pics added. There is a total of 5 wins to this date!

Enjoy

https://rivperformance.editboard.com/racing-kill-stories-f10/007-racing-home-page-t2848.htm#32353
Back to top Go down
http://www.hammerdownspeedway.com
98riv

Merit : 30

PostSubject: Re: Little help with poor performance!   Little help with poor performance! EmptyWed Jul 02, 2008 10:23 am

I must have missed that thread. Pretty cool. How does she handle in the dirt?

As for your problem, I am not really sure. Have you tried changing the top o2? It should be connected to the exhaust around the rear exhaust manifold. The rear o2 sensor will tell the computer if the cat is working or not.

Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Little help with poor performance!   Little help with poor performance! EmptyThu Jul 03, 2008 2:11 pm

Given that you are racing on a dirt track, my first guess would be to clean your MAF sensor.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Little help with poor performance!   Little help with poor performance! Empty

Back to top Go down

Little help with poor performance!
Page 1 of 1