Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Busted a rear shock mount today...

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
ewolfe0050
Aficionado
ewolfe0050

Name : Eric
Merit : 27

Busted a rear shock mount today... Empty
PostSubject: Busted a rear shock mount today...   Busted a rear shock mount today... EmptyTue Jul 08, 2008 8:24 pm

I was driving down I70 today and CLUNK.. bump, bump. bump... I initially thought it was the can of fix-a-flat punctured in the trunk so I drove a little more (carefully) until I could pull off in case it wasn't. I was hesitant about opening the trunk and having gluey crap spray out on me but it turns out I broke the rear passenger shock mount. It broke, not inside the trunk, but in the fenderwell. The tabs holding on the studs sheared off completely letting thre strut to fall into the fenderwell and knock against the top. I tied the shock up into the trunk with fishing line (that is all I had) hoping it wouldn't fall back down again but that lasted .03 sec (can't blane me for trying and I used a whole reel). Limped it home, got a new mount from NAPA within 30min at the warehouse (they came out with a new style- cross between a '95 and '97). I had it all put back together in 25min and works great. Keep in mind I have the Rancho's so I had to do a little modification for them to fit. Thanks to the writeups on the board- cut my repair time down when you can get proper socket sizes and such. I am starting to know this car inside and out...she's my baby.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: Busted a rear shock mount today...   Busted a rear shock mount today... EmptyTue Jul 08, 2008 9:22 pm

I'm impressed that you modded one of the new style shock mounts. I took one look at them and said "forget it." What did you grind them with?
Back to top Go down
ewolfe0050
Aficionado
ewolfe0050

Name : Eric
Merit : 27

PostSubject: Re: Busted a rear shock mount today...   Busted a rear shock mount today... EmptyTue Jul 08, 2008 10:15 pm

Don't worry about the bottom of the sleave... just grind the top down to fit. It is the first time I saw this mount and it is built well. It does not have the '97 nubs on the inside. More like the '95. It does have plenty of material on the top to be milled down so you have plently to work with rather than trying to get a flat grind on the bottom sleave.

But to answer your question... larger drill bit than the sleave drilled down to the bottom of the rubber. Grind the rubber down to fit the original '97 washer. I'll try to get some photos.

It looks like NAPA has a new style out from last time I did the mod. Maybe they are copying the '95's now.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Busted a rear shock mount today...   Busted a rear shock mount today... Empty

Back to top Go down

Busted a rear shock mount today...
Page 1 of 1