Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Rearview Mirror Broke Off!

Go down 
+18
joshuadalegrimes
robotennis61
IBx1
llamalor2112
drdivo
DEMonte1997
charlieRobinson
Eldo
LARRY70GS
Abaddon
BKRIV
Mr.Riviera
albertj
98riv
deekster_caddy
TonySmooth89
AA
RivieraRyan
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

Rearview Mirror Broke Off! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rearview Mirror Broke Off!   Rearview Mirror Broke Off! - Page 3 EmptyThu Jul 18, 2013 10:10 pm

Windshield is UV filtered, but over time the sunlight should cure it. The glue sticks, but cracks when it gets hot. Temps on the dash can be 140ºF+

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Rearview Mirror Broke Off!   Rearview Mirror Broke Off! - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 19, 2013 6:09 am

robotennis61 wrote:
I always thought the reattaching of the mirror was done with glue then Ultraviolet light to really make it stick?

UV will help many of the clear epoxies to cure.

Alcohol is ok to clean the spot to glue --but-- you have to wipe with clean clothsr non paper towels preferably (paper leaves a little residue). You also have to let the area dry further before gluing the metal base back or else the bond is weaker. Scraping the window does not help if you leave metal filings or the metal is rough enough to have air pockets.

Why?

Because the metal and the. Glass have. Different coefficients of expansion and if you get the glue- repair wrong (Ilan ) the metal will pop itself off the glass when it heats up or cools off enough.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Rearview Mirror Broke Off!   Rearview Mirror Broke Off! - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 19, 2013 7:59 am

In my case the alcohol evaporated almost instantly, especially on a hot day. I think it's a good idea to do the repair while still very warm. This way the glue sets up without internal stress when hot.

If the repair holds more than a year, you've done it correctly. But there's still a chance the adhesive will fail over time, from all the expanding & contracting that occurs over time from hot/cold temp extremes. I remember when the OEM adhesive failed, it had softened on a 100ºF+ day. The glue in the repair kits seems to stay brittle, even when hot.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
joshuadalegrimes
Addict
joshuadalegrimes

Name : josh
Merit : 13

PostSubject: Re: Rearview Mirror Broke Off!   Rearview Mirror Broke Off! - Page 3 EmptyMon Jul 22, 2013 2:56 am

well i got hit with the heat too! mine came off today! im findin a safelite lol
Back to top Go down
Yardley
Enthusiast

Merit : 2

PostSubject: Rearview Mirror Removal   Rearview Mirror Broke Off! - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 26, 2014 8:37 pm

Hi. I am replacing my rearview mirror because it has split at the seam. How do I remove it to install the replacement? I see that there is a release tab at the bottom, but it is so stiff I can't see how it would be able to compress it to release it from the mount.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
http://www.1badriv.com
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: Rearview Mirror Broke Off!   Rearview Mirror Broke Off! - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 26, 2014 8:40 pm

I haven't had to deal with that one yet, sorry. Have you shopped for a set of manuals yet? Very good investment, really. I'll try to find the info in mine.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: Rearview Mirror Broke Off!   Rearview Mirror Broke Off! - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 26, 2014 8:46 pm

Disconnect elec connector.  Adjust mirror to full down position.  Grasp both sides of mirror at top, with 2 hands.  Remove mirror from the button by rotating mirror in a downward/rearward motion.

I'm not sure that makes sense, but it is in the 98 manual.
Back to top Go down
Yardley
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Rearview Mirror Broke Off!   Rearview Mirror Broke Off! - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 26, 2014 10:11 pm

I think I understand. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Yardley
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Rearview Mirror Broke Off!   Rearview Mirror Broke Off! - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 08, 2014 2:00 pm

OK. Just tried to remove the mirror. I was rotating the top of the mirror down and toward the rear of the car. But damn! How hard should I have to rotate it? I am afraid I will:

rip the button off the windshield
or
break the windshield
or
finally get it off and not be able to get the replacement one on

Anybody actually removed theirs that can help?

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
llamalor2112
Junkie
llamalor2112

Name : Evan
Merit : 13

PostSubject: Re: Rearview Mirror Broke Off!   Rearview Mirror Broke Off! - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 08, 2014 2:22 pm

When mine removed itself during our uncharacteristicly hot summer last year, it left the button bit on the glass and separated at the actual base of the unit. I would think that it should come off in the way described above although realistically of course it's designed in such a way as to Not come off with ease. I'd say if you're extremely worried, perhaps see if a company like safelite will do the job?
Back to top Go down
Yardley
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Rearview Mirror Broke Off!   Rearview Mirror Broke Off! - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 14, 2014 4:02 pm

FYI... There is a tool required. I got mine here for $9.
http://www.autotoolworld.com/product.asp?itemid=187112&gclid=COvlzYPnkr0CFWuhOgodkScAwg

1) You need to remove the escutcheon (cover/housing) that covers the mount by inserting a small flathead screwdriver into each of the slots and release the tangs by gently prying outward. Then wriggle the cover off. It takes some force.

2) Unplug the wiring connector by pressing down on the release clip and pulling. Move it out of the way.

3) Slide the tool up behind the mount. Force it up, maybe pry ever so slightly, then just slide the mirror up toward the roof. The tool releases a spring clip.

To install, slide the mirror down over the mound with a quick motion until it SNAPS in place. Install the wire and the escutcheon. Reset the Compass Zone based on your location.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: Rearview Mirror Broke Off!   Rearview Mirror Broke Off! - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 14, 2014 5:41 pm

Interesting, no mention of any tools needed in my 98 service manual.
Back to top Go down
Yardley
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Rearview Mirror Broke Off!   Rearview Mirror Broke Off! - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 14, 2014 6:08 pm

There is no possible way to remove it using the instructions you mention. The mirror must slide up off the windshield mount and that can only happen by using the tool to release the little spring clip at the bottom.

The shop manual on my '69 Riv claims I must remove the passenger fender to replace the heater core. But at some point after the manual was written, the heater box was changed to a two-piece box, making heater core replacement a 30 minute job. So I'm not surprised that some instructions in the shop manual are a little off.
Back to top Go down
Animator
Animator

Name : Rob

PostSubject: Re: Rearview Mirror Broke Off!   Rearview Mirror Broke Off! - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 14, 2014 6:12 pm

Yardley wrote:
FYI... There is a tool required. I got mine here for $9.
http://www.autotoolworld.com/product.asp?itemid=187112&gclid=COvlzYPnkr0CFWuhOgodkScAwg

1) You need to remove the escutcheon (cover/housing) that covers the mount by inserting a small flathead screwdriver into each of the slots and release the tangs by gently prying outward. Then wriggle the cover off. It takes some force.

2) Unplug the wiring connector by pressing down on the release clip and pulling. Move it out of the way.

3) Slide the tool up behind the mount. Force it up, maybe pry ever so slightly, then just slide the mirror up toward the roof. The tool releases a spring clip.

To install, slide the mirror down over the mound with a quick motion until it SNAPS in place. Install the wire and the escutcheon. Reset the Compass Zone based on your location.

This is good to know. I've been thinking of replacing the OEM unit with an aftermarket rear view camera monitor built in. I have to back out of some pretty tight spots, and it's hard to judge distance at times. Thanks for the instructions.
Back to top Go down
98RivOwner

Name : 98RivOwner
Merit : 6

PostSubject: My Experience   Rearview Mirror Broke Off! - Page 3 EmptyThu Jul 24, 2014 8:35 pm

I came out to my Riv from work earlier this week and my rear view mirror was barely hanging onto the windshield. I just touched it and button separated from the windshield and the whole thing was suspended by the harness. I unplugged the harness and laid the mirror in the seat. I drove around a couple of days with said mirror in the front seat.

I went to O'rielly's and bought a rear view mirror adhesive kit....3 bucks or thereabouts.

While holding the mirror in my hand, I removed the bezel from the button mount by inserting a pair of screw drivers in the two side tabs and released the bezel from the button.

I then used a pair of pliers with a rag in the jaws to compress the spring clip that retains the button in its cradle...this took quite a bit of force. With the spring clip compressed, I inserted a small screw driver at the top of the button cradle and forced it to slide out of its cradle with the spring clip compressed.

With the button removed, I then marked on the outside of the windshield capturing the footprint for the button location using the old glue as a boundary marker. I then cleaned the button and the windshield with a razor blade and then with alcohol.

Next I used the primer and adhesive to set the button on the windshield(pay extra close attention to proper button orientation) and held it in place for 30 seconds. Then waited for 30 minutes for the button to completely dry and bond.

Then I slid the mirror cradle over the button allowing the spring clip to capture the button in the cradle.

Reattach the bezel and plug in the harness and I'm functional again.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: Rearview Mirror Broke Off!   Rearview Mirror Broke Off! - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 25, 2014 8:45 pm

Mine just did this on monday. Seems like i do it ever 2-3 years right about the same time (july/aug) 100°+ outside and direct sunlight will do it every time.

Back to top Go down
98RivOwner

Name : 98RivOwner
Merit : 6

PostSubject: Re: Rearview Mirror Broke Off!   Rearview Mirror Broke Off! - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 25, 2014 10:40 pm

I haven't seen vent shades for the Riv, not sure if the design lends itself to this add on. They would allow you to keep windows cracked while parked outside and not fear for rain water intrusion into the cabin during summertime showers.

Anyone seen vent shades for the Riv, or have any ideas on how to minimize heat inside the cabin during summertime?

I currently use a windshield shade on the inside of the car, but this is not as effective as keeping your windows cracked.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rearview Mirror Broke Off!   Rearview Mirror Broke Off! - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Rearview Mirror Broke Off!
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3