Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Air conditioner Question

Go down 
+5
whit2285
dreww
albertj
deekster_caddy
SuperRiv07
9 posters
AuthorMessage
SuperRiv07
Addict
SuperRiv07

Name : Nick
Location : Brookfield, And If everything goes right A Nice big house in Bolingbrook with a big GARAGE
Merit : 0

Air conditioner Question Empty
PostSubject: Air conditioner Question   Air conditioner Question EmptyMon Jul 21, 2008 6:45 pm

So my A/c dont work and Im fine with that cause witht the windows down and sunroof open im just fine but the condesor spins and the fly whell grinds in ther cause its no good and trys to go on, so what I want to know is if i go under the hood and unplug the condensor will the pully still spin? and is that ok to do untill I can get an ac delete pulley?
Back to top Go down
http://www.Chitownracing.com
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Air conditioner Question   Air conditioner Question EmptyTue Jul 22, 2008 12:01 am

You want to unplug the AC Compressor Clutch. The connector should be right at the front of the AC compressor, above the clutch.
Back to top Go down
SuperRiv07
Addict
SuperRiv07

Location : Brookfield, And If everything goes right A Nice big house in Bolingbrook with a big GARAGE

PostSubject: Re: Air conditioner Question   Air conditioner Question EmptyTue Jul 22, 2008 3:31 am

i did that but the clutch still spins but doesnt engage, how difficult to remove ac and get a smaller serpintine belt so skip it?
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Air conditioner Question   Air conditioner Question EmptyTue Jul 22, 2008 8:52 am

ZZP sells an A/C 'delete', a pulley on a bracket that can go in place of the compressor. I think the way the belts are routed it's very difficult to bypass.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Air conditioner Question   Air conditioner Question EmptyTue Jul 22, 2008 9:39 am

Compressors for the riv are not free, but not that expensive either. Did you consider getting a used one from Ed Morad (a used parts dealer in Ohio)? A number of list members have used Ed for all manner of parts; he's not real talkative but he knows these (Riviera, Grand Prix GT, Regal) cars pretty well. Use 'search' command to find Ed's contact info. Then all you need is a local mechanic who'll put it on for you if you can't do it yourself.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
SuperRiv07
Addict
SuperRiv07

PostSubject: Re: Air conditioner Question   Air conditioner Question EmptyTue Jul 22, 2008 11:48 am

so if i Pull off the ac I can put an ac delete pulley in and that will be fine?
Back to top Go down
dreww
Junkie
dreww

Merit : 9

PostSubject: Re: Air conditioner Question   Air conditioner Question EmptyFri Jul 25, 2008 12:43 pm

SuperRiv07 wrote:
so if i Pull off the ac I can put an ac delete pulley in and that will be fine?

technically, it should work, but I dont know anyone who has done it on a riv.

those ac deletes are made for w-body cars I believe.
Back to top Go down
whit2285
Enthusiast
whit2285

Name : Mike
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: Air conditioner Question   Air conditioner Question EmptySat Jul 26, 2008 12:15 am

i used the ac delete woked fine got it from 1aauto.com easy to install no problems. i got my ac fixed if you want to buy a used one ill sell for cheap .im near bridgeview let me know
Back to top Go down
Shintsu
Expert

Name : Shintsu
Merit : -16

PostSubject: Re: Air conditioner Question   Air conditioner Question EmptySat Jul 26, 2008 1:17 am

Christ, how could you drive around with no A/C?
Back to top Go down
SuperRiv07
Addict
SuperRiv07

PostSubject: Re: Air conditioner Question   Air conditioner Question EmptySat Jul 26, 2008 1:39 am

windows down and drive fast lol, I dont think I could handle it here in memphis Im glad I live in chicago, its 111 here in memphis, Mike I will talk to you monday or tuesday, How much was your ac deletye? and how much do you want for your ac?
Back to top Go down
Shintsu
Expert

Name : Shintsu
Merit : -16

PostSubject: Re: Air conditioner Question   Air conditioner Question EmptySat Jul 26, 2008 2:32 am

Man, that eats your gas mileage up. Not to mention it's noisy as hell. I couldn't live without the Riv's ice cold AC and I can't see how people drive around with their windows down in this hot humid weather. Must be sweating like pigs...
Back to top Go down
whit2285
Enthusiast
whit2285

PostSubject: Re: Air conditioner Question   Air conditioner Question EmptySat Jul 26, 2008 1:22 pm

it was like 45.00 i believe . 20.00 its yours do you know your engine code mines a 1
Back to top Go down
SuperRiv07
Addict
SuperRiv07

PostSubject: Re: Air conditioner Question   Air conditioner Question EmptySun Jul 27, 2008 9:08 pm

I have No Idea, I will Find Out and let you know asap
Back to top Go down
whit2285
Enthusiast
whit2285

PostSubject: Re: Air conditioner Question   Air conditioner Question EmptySun Jul 27, 2008 10:03 pm

8th # in vin k or 1
Back to top Go down
'96reese
Fanatic

Name : Reese
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: Air conditioner Question   Air conditioner Question EmptyMon Jul 28, 2008 3:18 am

superriv...if you car is supercharged then your 8th digit is 1 if not then it's k. judging from your signature it's a 1 code.
Back to top Go down
SuperRiv07
Addict
SuperRiv07

PostSubject: Re: Air conditioner Question   Air conditioner Question EmptyMon Jul 28, 2008 3:28 pm

Yeah Its supercharged, I couldnt look at the vin Cause Im in tn Repoing cars and my car is at home In Chicago
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

Name : Charlie
Merit : 31

PostSubject: Re: Air conditioner Question   Air conditioner Question EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 8:44 am

Hey, guys. All of a sudden my Riv decided to start only blowing out hot air. WTF!?!?! My ice cold A/C is gone! I am sure i'm not the first person this has happened to. Any ideas what the problem might be? The top A/C vents are somewhat cooler than the bottom ones. All the vents below the dash blow super freakin hot air. And these 100 degree temps aren't helping!

Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: Air conditioner Question   Air conditioner Question EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 9:50 am

Check your IAT value with your torque app. This is to make sure the sensor is still working. Next thing I'd do is check the AC clutch is engaging. You can visually verify this by looking at the pulley. If it's not turning on, try rigging a small test lamp to the connector to see of it's getting power.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: Air conditioner Question   Air conditioner Question EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 11:23 am

Roger that. Will do and I will report back. Thanks, Aaron.

Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: Air conditioner Question   Air conditioner Question EmptyFri Jul 20, 2012 7:55 pm

IAT sensor seems to be working fine. How do I know which pulley is linked to the AC clutch? ?
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Air conditioner Question   Air conditioner Question EmptyFri Jul 20, 2012 10:50 pm

charlieRobinson wrote:
IAT sensor seems to be working fine. How do I know which pulley is linked to the AC clutch? ?

...trace the belt

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Air conditioner Question   Air conditioner Question Empty

Back to top Go down

Air conditioner Question
Page 1 of 1