Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

help im a newbie!

Go down 
+5
AA
deekster_caddy
BillBoost37
SuperRiv07
rivboy
9 posters
AuthorMessage
rivboy
Amateur
rivboy

Name : Marc
Merit : 0

help im a newbie! Empty
PostSubject: help im a newbie!   help im a newbie! EmptyTue Jul 22, 2008 3:16 am

howdy,im a hard workin 16 year old with a dad for a mechanic, but have my own skills but no knowledge on these 3.8 s/c v6's. my riv is a 1996 which smucked 5 deer. i got air bags reset and have gotten all body work done and repainted(myself) these are to nice of cars to let go to waste. im in need of help!!! i wanna get 300hp or so out of my riv. any help????? plz! thanks!
Back to top Go down
SuperRiv07
Addict
SuperRiv07

Name : Nick
Location : Brookfield, And If everything goes right A Nice big house in Bolingbrook with a big GARAGE

help im a newbie! Empty
PostSubject: Re: help im a newbie!   help im a newbie! EmptyTue Jul 22, 2008 3:19 am

Welcome and good luck
Back to top Go down
http://www.Chitownracing.com
BillBoost37
Junkie

Merit : 26

help im a newbie! Empty
PostSubject: Re: help im a newbie!   help im a newbie! EmptyTue Jul 22, 2008 8:36 am

Hi and welcome.

300hp huh? Ok. There are a lot of good upgrades and things that can be done. I would suggest doing a lot of research on mods before buying and deciding which direction you want to go in.

For example upgrading the supercharger or removing it and going turbo.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

help im a newbie! Empty
PostSubject: Re: help im a newbie!   help im a newbie! EmptyTue Jul 22, 2008 8:49 am

Welcome! 300 HP is a long target. You'll need a well built transmission to go that fast, search for threads about converting the 4T60E to the 4T65E, it's got a few tougher parts but you need a newer PCM and some wiring modifications to make that work.

You'll probably want to go with a cam and GenV blower, if you don't want to IC to hit 300. There are plenty of sites that cater to the series II S/C motor. 3800pro, intense-racing.com, glubgp...
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

help im a newbie! Empty
PostSubject: Re: help im a newbie!   help im a newbie! EmptyTue Jul 22, 2008 8:50 am

BillBoost37 wrote:
Hi and welcome.

300hp huh? Ok. There are a lot of good upgrades and things that can be done. I would suggest doing a lot of research on mods before buying and deciding which direction you want to go in.

For example upgrading the supercharger or removing it and going turbo.

forgot about that - build a transmission and go with a turbo if 300 hp is your target. That's the easy way, and in the end you'll probably spend less on mods.
Back to top Go down
SuperRiv07
Addict
SuperRiv07

Name : Nick
Location : Brookfield, And If everything goes right A Nice big house in Bolingbrook with a big GARAGE

help im a newbie! Empty
PostSubject: Re: help im a newbie!   help im a newbie! EmptyTue Jul 22, 2008 11:52 am

so do alot of guys go turbo? isnt a supercharger better cause you dont have to wait for the turbo to spool up
Back to top Go down
http://www.Chitownracing.com
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

help im a newbie! Empty
PostSubject: Re: help im a newbie!   help im a newbie! EmptyTue Jul 22, 2008 1:02 pm

Welcome!

For 300 crank HP (about 250 @ wheels), it can be done safely with the stock blower and bolt-ons: FWI, 3.4" SC, 180 t-stat, AL 104 plugs, 1.9:1 rockers, headers, cat delete, tuner - should easily get you there.

Transmission is always the weak link. Mine went at 150k miles, modded progressively since 35k.

Read though our Series II FAQ in the tech forums. Good luck!

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
TonySmooth89
Aficionado
TonySmooth89

Name : Anthony
Merit : 16

help im a newbie! Empty
PostSubject: Re: help im a newbie!   help im a newbie! EmptyTue Jul 22, 2008 5:18 pm

Welcome!

i have no clue how much i'm making , but i have a ported blower , intake , downpipe and tune ,and my car is a whole different animal compared to stock. And all the while still very civilized.

A cam , gen v , injectors and headers will probably get you close to 300whp , which is like 350-375 at the crank ,and your 4t60e , won't like that too much. I've only been modded for 5k miles , but so far she shows no signs of fatigue. ( knock on wood)

You'll need to find a DHP powertuner or someone in your area with one as right now it is THE ONLY tuner that supports 96 rivs... And even then its not a sure bet ,as some versions of the open software will not tune a 96 for whatever reason. I took a chance , and played around with it and got it to work. It isn't hard to get it to work , but it will tell you that it won't work , and you gotta play around with it.

But 300 crank horsepower shouldn't be too much for the 4t60e , as long as you take care of it and don't launch it hard all the time. ( i know i usually don't floor it until about 15-20 to preserve the trans).
Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

Name : Randall
Merit : 89

help im a newbie! Empty
PostSubject: Re: help im a newbie!   help im a newbie! EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 5:38 pm

Welcome to the Forum thumbsup
SuperRiv07 wrote:
good luck
agree.
It can be done I'm sure, and there is all kinds of great help here for MODS!
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/99Rivman
'96reese
Fanatic

Name : Reese
Merit : 4

help im a newbie! Empty
PostSubject: Re: help im a newbie!   help im a newbie! EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 10:31 pm

i wanna try and see if hard it would be to put 2 turbos on there, to prevent turbo lag. one with a smaller spull for the low endpower and a bigger one for the high end power, i think it might work. the supras have twin turbos and the engine is a 3.0. but then again a small block chevy with a 350 turbo trans with a nice rear end to convert it from fwd to rwd would be nice!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
jimmyriv
Junkie
jimmyriv

Name : James
Merit : 8

help im a newbie! Empty
PostSubject: Re: help im a newbie!   help im a newbie! EmptyFri Aug 01, 2008 12:04 pm

Welcome to the Forum,rivboy..
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/jimmyriv
Sponsored content

help im a newbie! Empty
PostSubject: Re: help im a newbie!   help im a newbie! Empty

Back to top Go down

help im a newbie!
Page 1 of 1