Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

deekster_caddy's Riv pictures

Go down 
+30
jbird
Jason
DEMonte1997
Snowdog
AA
ibmoses
woggy
robotennis61
95RiviSC
L67
BMD
Rickw
millerje18
SToP
ewolfe0050
Steve98
99Rivman
1998 Riv
SuperRiv07
jimmyriv
IBx1
oldsman105
captshiner
Chicken
TonySmooth89
Mr.Riviera
T Riley
deekster_caddy
34 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

deekster_caddy's Riv pictures - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: deekster_caddy's Riv pictures   deekster_caddy's Riv pictures - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 14, 2009 5:12 pm

Lookin sharp sir!
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

Name : BMD
Merit : 36

PostSubject: Re: deekster_caddy's Riv pictures   deekster_caddy's Riv pictures - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 15, 2009 12:57 am

You do pretty damn good work for taking one class Derek! clap Looks great, I guess they didn't show you guys how to blend the paint into the door? I've always wanted to take an autobody class. Good for you man.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: deekster_caddy's Riv pictures   deekster_caddy's Riv pictures - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 15, 2009 9:12 am

They will do blending and such, but I'm working my way around the whole car, so I don't mind the mismatch for now. It's temporary... wink

The only problem with the class is that it's 3 hours long and you can't leave work there, so it's not really enough time to prep and paint an entire car. I may go after some bigger areas next class though, like trying to do multiple panels at once.

The next area that bugs me a ton is the roof, it's high on my list. But the front fenders, right in front of the wheel opening is starting to rot too. Damn salty winters!
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

PostSubject: Re: deekster_caddy's Riv pictures   deekster_caddy's Riv pictures - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 15, 2009 11:15 am

I can relate to that! cold Fantatsic work for a 3 hour session. Looking forward to seeing more of your progress, please share your pics.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: deekster_caddy's Riv pictures   deekster_caddy's Riv pictures - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 15, 2009 11:24 am

BMD wrote:
I can relate to that! cold Fantatsic work for a 3 hour session.
I believe that the class consisted of many 3 hour sessions.
I took a welding course at a local community college some time ago and it was 10 or 12 weeks of 3 hour classes.
After talking to Derek and paying out the arse to a body shop for touch up work every year on my Riv I'm considering enrolling in a 10 - 12 week 3 hours once per week night course in body repair. I have some self taught skills but would like some expert help and it's always good to be taught the latest and greatest procedures and use of new products.
That's why i took the welding class. When I first learned how to weld (many, many moons ago) there was no such thing as MIG welders, at least not that I knew of. We used arc / stick welding and Oxy - Acet. only.
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

PostSubject: Re: deekster_caddy's Riv pictures   deekster_caddy's Riv pictures - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 15, 2009 11:33 am

I meant the paint job itself was fantastic for a 3 hour session, as Dereck said, there wasn't enough time to prep and paint more of the car? Anyway, I think its so cool that many Riv owners like yourself want to know how to work on every aspect of their car.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: deekster_caddy's Riv pictures   deekster_caddy's Riv pictures - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 15, 2009 11:38 am

Oh, now i understand what you said.
Sometimes you can't learn enough by reading a book then doing it. It takes a little hands on expert help. That's where these night courses come in handy.
They are not too expensive and you walk away with some talent and experience. Well worth it in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: deekster_caddy's Riv pictures   deekster_caddy's Riv pictures - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 27, 2009 6:03 pm

edit: removed that pic, it was right there on page 1.

I'm going to add some of my bodywork-in-progress pics from last year though, for the quarter panel and trunk lid. I'm working on the roof now.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: deekster_caddy's Riv pictures   deekster_caddy's Riv pictures - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 27, 2009 8:47 pm

The rust I found behind the right rear side moulding:
deekster_caddy's Riv pictures - Page 3 Web

The first cleanup:

What we found above it... Lotsa body filler frown

After grinding out all the old filler, pulling the metal back out, filling, smoothing, fill, sand, fill, sand... weeks and weeks of work...

The last coat of primer. We use a heavy catalyzing primer that fills and hardens instead of drying. Way better than the factory stuff. I don't know enough about it to tell you what to get, except that I really like the results. It will fill most sanding scratches and seems to withstand damn near anything!

The whole quarter panel ready to paint, radio antenna and trim removed:

The finished product:

Back to top Go down
L67
Aficionado

Name : Matt
Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: deekster_caddy's Riv pictures   deekster_caddy's Riv pictures - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 27, 2009 10:07 pm

Now its time to repaint that door, and probably the rest of the body to match the shine deekster_caddy's Riv pictures - Page 3 Icon_win Nice!
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: deekster_caddy's Riv pictures   deekster_caddy's Riv pictures - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 27, 2009 10:16 pm

thanks!

L67 wrote:
Now its time to repaint that door, and probably the rest of the body to match the shine deekster_caddy's Riv pictures - Page 3 Icon_win Nice!

yeah I'm working on it. One panel at a time... Roof is under construction currently.

old:

don't have a current pic but I'll get one while inside my auto body class tomorrow night.
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

PostSubject: Re: deekster_caddy's Riv pictures   deekster_caddy's Riv pictures - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 28, 2009 1:20 am

Derek, I am really impressed. Your attention to detail is fantastic and your commitment to doing it right has yielded you some AMAZING results bow . If you could do the whole car at once it would look awesome. If only they would let you do repairs in 3 hour sessions and drive the car around in primer for awhile until you have done all the necesary prep work on the whole car and then spend one session painting the entire car? Anyway please keep updating this thread, its very interesting.
Back to top Go down
95RiviSC
95RiviSC

Name : Jose
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: deekster_caddy's Riv pictures   deekster_caddy's Riv pictures - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 28, 2009 2:14 am

I wish I could do my own body restoration.
Back to top Go down
http://www.clublakers.com
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: deekster_caddy's Riv pictures   deekster_caddy's Riv pictures - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 28, 2009 5:35 am

nice job deek! body work is a pia.
Back to top Go down
woggy
Enthusiast
woggy

Name : Paul
Location : Altoona, Florida (Somewhere in the ocala national forest)
Merit : 7

PostSubject: Re: deekster_caddy's Riv pictures   deekster_caddy's Riv pictures - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 28, 2009 9:06 am

nice work on your riv. thanks for sharing the pics as you go. I always like watching progress on these vehicles.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: deekster_caddy's Riv pictures   deekster_caddy's Riv pictures - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 28, 2009 9:33 am

BMD wrote:
If only they would let you do repairs in 3 hour sessions and drive the car around in primer for awhile until you have done all the necesary prep work on the whole car and then spend one session painting the entire car?

They will, they have. I don't want to drive around in an all-primer car either though wink

The prep work is killer. The sessions above on that quarter panel were over 9 or 10 classes, and split over a summer break. It was primed, and I covered the grey with some black spray bomb shit for the summer break, and when I went back last september the rust had started to bubble up again, so we went after it with some chemical treatments. So far it's holding up but I'm just afraid the metal is too thin and it's rusted on the backside. frown But it's so much better than it was! smile

I like the way it's coming along, and I enjoy getting it done in sections. Makes me feel like I'm accomplishing something!

Thanks for all the compliments!
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: deekster_caddy's Riv pictures   deekster_caddy's Riv pictures - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 06, 2009 8:50 pm

For anyone looking for my two-tone paint color discussion, I finally found it, here:

https://rivperformance.editboard.com/exterior-f12/paint-schemes-rim-chops-t1927-195.htm#88295

moved to where it belongs.

Side note to AA - I'm fine with you moving discussions around as appropriate, and I think it was appropriate, but please drop a link behind in the thread you took the stuff away from. I did a lot of browsing around to find it again...
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: deekster_caddy's Riv pictures   deekster_caddy's Riv pictures - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 02, 2009 10:19 pm

Update - A few images from the body shop tonight:

All masked up, WET PAINT!

from the rear - just unwrapped:

From the front - just unwrapped:
Back to top Go down
L67
Aficionado

Name : Matt
Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: deekster_caddy's Riv pictures   deekster_caddy's Riv pictures - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 02, 2009 10:34 pm

Wow! It looks really really sharp thumbsup
Back to top Go down
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

Name : Bert
Merit : 32

PostSubject: Re: deekster_caddy's Riv pictures   deekster_caddy's Riv pictures - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 02, 2009 10:42 pm

Looking cool man! thumbsup

You spray that yourself?

Bert tavis
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: deekster_caddy's Riv pictures   deekster_caddy's Riv pictures - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 02, 2009 10:56 pm

A+
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: deekster_caddy's Riv pictures   deekster_caddy's Riv pictures - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 03, 2009 12:47 am

Nice! did you mask off or remove the roof channel thingies before paint?
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: deekster_caddy's Riv pictures   deekster_caddy's Riv pictures - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 03, 2009 12:59 am

Nice job. Are you going to paint the hood and trunk?

Deek (or anyone), if you are having trouble finding something you posted, here's a tip: in your profile, click on Statistics, then click "Find all (your name)'s topics". This will list the last 300 or so topics you've posted in (see Board FAQ).

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: deekster_caddy's Riv pictures   deekster_caddy's Riv pictures - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 03, 2009 6:55 am

Thanks all!

ibmoses wrote:
Looking cool man! thumbsup

You spray that yourself?

Bert tavis

Yep! The auto body class I'm taking is in a fully equipped shop...

AA wrote:
Nice job. Are you going to paint the hood and trunk?

No, just the roof an pillars. I just redid the trunk black last spring, and I like the roof-only look.
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

PostSubject: Re: deekster_caddy's Riv pictures   deekster_caddy's Riv pictures - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 03, 2009 8:13 am

Great job Derek, the finish looks really nice. Seeing that your interior is also a light clour, I think it works really well. So I assume you just masked the rubber around the glass and didn't remove it, and you pulled out the rubber from the gutters, is that correct? Take a pic outside when you get a chance and post it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: deekster_caddy's Riv pictures   deekster_caddy's Riv pictures - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

deekster_caddy's Riv pictures
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riv Performance ::   General :: Showroom-
Jump to: