Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

HUD display in Riviera?

Go down 
+20
sburch23
97rivsc
curious riv
Rickw
SuperRiv07
SToP
Buickman104
deekster_caddy
Mr.Riviera
1998 Riv
BillBoost37
stan
BoattailBob
Supercharged
Chicken
IBx1
albertj
oldsman105
Andysdorm
KillaKeninaRiv
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
oldsman105
Junkie
oldsman105

Name : Enrique Patino
Merit : 10

HUD display in Riviera? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: HUD display in Riviera?   HUD display in Riviera? - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 27, 2008 11:57 am

BillBoost37 wrote:
Anyone know how close the Riv dash shape is compared to the Regal/GP. I'm thinking if the trim panel fits or can fit then I'd share the info about adding a hud.

What Riv owner wouldn't want a hud?
\

OH OH OH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What kind if pics do you need. and the riv dash is flat on top.
Back to top Go down
BillBoost37
Junkie

Merit : 26

PostSubject: Re: HUD display in Riviera?   HUD display in Riviera? - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 27, 2008 12:16 pm

Send me all the pics you can. Heck.instead of worrying if the whole panel fits.....we could always come up with a small raised area.

The biggest thing is if there's enough room under the dash by the window and I can't imagine there wouldn't be.

I understand about the Riv standing out. What other Buicks in that era had HUD?
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: HUD display in Riviera?   HUD display in Riviera? - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 27, 2008 12:25 pm

PAU
Back to top Go down
Buickman104
Enthusiast

Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: HUD display in Riviera?   HUD display in Riviera? - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 27, 2008 5:18 pm

Yup! It was an option in the Park Avenue Ultra!
Back to top Go down
KillaKeninaRiv
Addict
KillaKeninaRiv

Name : Kenneth
Merit : 6

PostSubject: Re: HUD display in Riviera?   HUD display in Riviera? - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 28, 2008 8:54 pm

damn and the retarded thing is that my friend had a hot Park Avenue Ultra in a garage and I didnt get it out of there in time
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

Merit : 12

PostSubject: Re: HUD display in Riviera?   HUD display in Riviera? - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 28, 2008 10:28 pm

i am extremely interested in this HUD thing,but it can be hard to install/fit.
Back to top Go down
Buickman104
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: HUD display in Riviera?   HUD display in Riviera? - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 30, 2008 3:57 am

Hey Bill! Oldsman volunteers to be the first Riv Test mule!

Just be warned Olds does not do good write ups! LOL
Back to top Go down
oldsman105
Junkie
oldsman105

Name : Enrique Patino
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: HUD display in Riviera?   HUD display in Riviera? - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 31, 2008 4:12 pm

Buickman104 wrote:
Hey Bill! Oldsman volunteers to be the first Riv Test mule!

Just be warned Olds does not do good write ups! LOL

shout
Back to top Go down
KillaKeninaRiv
Addict
KillaKeninaRiv

PostSubject: Re: HUD display in Riviera?   HUD display in Riviera? - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 31, 2008 9:00 pm

i checked a junkyard saturday..no luck. two grand prixs no HUD so ill check monday then at the other one across town. they had two rivieras in there a few weeks ago
Back to top Go down
SToP
Enthusiast

Name : Rob
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: HUD display in Riviera?   HUD display in Riviera? - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 02, 2008 4:12 pm

I was looking to do the same thing and came across this thread. Looking at the diagrams for a '98 GP, there's a few trick points. Pin A7 is the speedo input at 4K PPM. Pin 55 on the '98 Riv blue PCM connector provides 4K PPM to the IPC, Magnasteer, BCM and cruise modules.

The Riv's coolant hot, low voltage and low fuel lights look to be lit via the IPC circuitry itself but you could tap into the ckt for the light itself. I need to check the polarity first but most GM stuff is switched on ground where the Riv's lights are switched on voltage. Might just need some relays to switch polarity. The low oil light can be tapped into the wire at the IPC connector and then just tap into the signals and headlights for the rest.

I still need to double-check some polarities but after that the only question left is will it fit? smile

Wasn't there a thread somewhere in here where someone was reupholstering their dash pad?
Back to top Go down
SuperRiv07
Addict
SuperRiv07

Name : Nick
Location : Brookfield, And If everything goes right A Nice big house in Bolingbrook with a big GARAGE

PostSubject: Re: HUD display in Riviera?   HUD display in Riviera? - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 02, 2008 4:21 pm

What about the Hud From a 2004 buick lesabre Would that work ?
Back to top Go down
http://www.Chitownracing.com
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: HUD display in Riviera?   HUD display in Riviera? - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 02, 2008 4:23 pm

"New Riv owner" Page 2 For dashboard recovering.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: HUD display in Riviera?   HUD display in Riviera? - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 02, 2008 4:30 pm

Is the 2004 a CAN BUS ?
Back to top Go down
SToP
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: HUD display in Riviera?   HUD display in Riviera? - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 02, 2008 4:32 pm

RickW - that was the thread, thanks! I was hoping to see some shots of how much room was in there, but never saw the right angle.

SuperRiv07, I'm looking at the HUD diagram for the LeSabre right now. Looks like a lot of the data is fed via class II serial data. I don't think the Riv PCM can provide that if it wasn't programmed for it. Signal lights and speed look easy though.
Back to top Go down
SuperRiv07
Addict
SuperRiv07

Name : Nick
Location : Brookfield, And If everything goes right A Nice big house in Bolingbrook with a big GARAGE

PostSubject: Re: HUD display in Riviera?   HUD display in Riviera? - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 02, 2008 4:44 pm

well dam I kinda want this hud what will work then
Back to top Go down
http://www.Chitownracing.com
curious riv
Addict
curious riv

Name : Chris
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: HUD display in Riviera?   HUD display in Riviera? - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 02, 2008 8:05 pm

Chicken wrote:
man, you bastards are a tough crowd...

nobody noticed I spelled Riviera wrong....hahaahaha
I almost pissed myself laughin...(thanks ckickin) that was great
Back to top Go down
97rivsc
Fanatic
97rivsc

Name : mike

PostSubject: Re: HUD display in Riviera?   HUD display in Riviera? - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 03, 2008 1:09 am

this is an awesome idea. the riv needs the hud it would look so good. has anyone had any success with it yet? or in the process of attempting it?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2007661&id=1593150315#/pro
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: HUD display in Riviera?   HUD display in Riviera? - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 03, 2008 10:32 am

Hey SToP,
It appears you have more knowledge than I on the various communication / electronics protocols used on these vehicles. Maybe you could do a write up or attach some links to some elementary information about the various protocols used and how to better understand them.
I worked on Transport Category Aircraft for a number of years and understood most of those systems, but I did not design or engineer any of it, so it still left me without detailed knowledge.
Thanks for any input you may have on the subject.
I also have a spare PCM I could send you if that would help in figuring out the HUD Mod.
Back to top Go down
SToP
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: HUD display in Riviera?   HUD display in Riviera? - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 03, 2008 12:26 pm

I wouldn't say that, RickW. This new stuff is really complicated, plus the fact that the OBD-II "standard" has so many different flavors.. I barely know enough to get by these days!

I based my comment that "a lot of the data is fed via class II serial data" on the pinouts of the HUD connector schematic. There weren't a lot of the connections I would expect (hot, voltage, etc.) but there was one pin labeled "Class II Serial Data". I made an ASSumption. smile

The next thing to do in the HUD project is to find out if it will physically fit under the top dash pad. We'll have to cut a hole in the pad but nothing a yard of vinyl can't cover. After that, track down a HUD from ebay or something and then start wiring it up.

Hopefully I can find myself a Riviera soon! smile
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: HUD display in Riviera?   HUD display in Riviera? - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 03, 2008 2:09 pm

If I am not mistaken ther is room for HUD guts under the dash pad but there was some reason a HUD was not offered (this cam up in a casual conversation with someone in GM's R&D organization). I do not remember if it was a problem with the optics (if you look at it, actually there is not much vertical height to the Riv windscreen), glare (which is why you Never Armor-All Your Dash, natch), or a design decision based on the Riv cockpit being a sort of modern interpretation of that of the original riv (hence the large round speedo, and lack of other instrumentation; also lack of a driver info center although the sensors and stuff are all there like on the Aurora.

Think fast - it would not have been that big a deal to use about the same dash for the Riv as was put in the Aurora...

To get an idea what I mean, take a 3x5 or 4x6 index card and put it on the dash when you're out in the daytime. Put it over the middle (between tach and speedo over the fuel/amps gauges) instument panel gauge cluster, on top of the dash pad,with the edge nearest the windshield about 3/4 the way down the pad. . Notice how much space the glare from that card claims in the field of view. The place where the card *is not* is the remaining unobstructed field of view.

Kind of a lot of real estate.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: HUD display in Riviera?   HUD display in Riviera? - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 03, 2008 4:59 pm

SToP,
Where are you getting the schematic's that your able to refer to ?
Online somewhere, or do you have paper copies?

Albert has a good point about the glare off these Riv dashboards, I hadn't thought of that although every time I drive in the sun I do. These are terrible for windshield glare. As Deekster mentioned sometime back you need to wear polarized sunglasses all the time while driving, sometimes even on cloudy days. Maybe it's just the color of my interior but from what I've been reading I think it's all of them.
Back to top Go down
SToP
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: HUD display in Riviera?   HUD display in Riviera? - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 03, 2008 6:51 pm

Good points, Albert! Something to definately keep in mind. I have not seen the '97+ GP HUD yet but I have retrofitted a pre-97 GP HUD into another project and only needed a 2x2 inch hole cut in the dash. Reatta dash, GP HUD, LeSabre drivetrain and ECM, Riviera BCM... Whew, what a project! smile

Rick, schematics are printed from my local library's subscription to alldata online.
Back to top Go down
sburch23
Addict
sburch23

Name : Scott
Merit : 14

PostSubject: Re: HUD display in Riviera?   HUD display in Riviera? - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 03, 2008 9:40 pm

Other donor cars are Buick Park Avenue ULTRAs and Pontiac Bonnevilles.
Back to top Go down
SToP
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: HUD display in Riviera?   HUD display in Riviera? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 04, 2008 9:37 am

True, sburch23.. Anyone have pics of what the HUDs in these cars look like?
Back to top Go down
KillaKeninaRiv
Addict
KillaKeninaRiv

PostSubject: Re: HUD display in Riviera?   HUD display in Riviera? - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 08, 2008 9:39 pm

In the PA or the GP? I have a pic of the Grand Prixs and ZZPerformance sells the units for $50
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: HUD display in Riviera?   HUD display in Riviera? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

HUD display in Riviera?
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next