Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

The Home Audio thread

Go down 
+22
charlieRobinson
Mr.Riviera
Randy T.
turtleman
gmann3001
robotennis61
J. Chris Davis
c0reyl
deekster_caddy
Hometown Hero
Rickw
96RIVMANN
TonySmooth89
Ridin-Rivi
ibmoses
Dj Brady
Lucas
#1BearsFan
sburch23
AA
Chicken
Shintsu
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

The Home Audio thread - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Home Audio thread   The Home Audio thread - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 29, 2008 1:14 pm

The Carver amp uses 750W. It's basically equal to what you have, but it's smaller and will probably run cooler.

I checked the Adcom 5300. Weighs 22 lb, same as the Carver.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Shintsu
Expert

Name : Shintsu
Merit : -16

PostSubject: Re: The Home Audio thread   The Home Audio thread - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 29, 2008 1:42 pm

Hmm, well I know Carver makes nice stuff. What I see from them is usually bigger than that though. I know this Adcom has big heatsinks inside it and I'd rather have some room for airflow as opposed to a tiny unit with little airflow. It would probably be good if you had a tight spot it needed to go in but I personally prefer my amps in the large style with huge external heatsinks that weigh a ton.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: The Home Audio thread   The Home Audio thread - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 29, 2008 1:46 pm

Fair enough. Adcom is a good brand. Just keep it if it works.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
Chicken
Aficionado
Chicken

Name : Mark
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Re: The Home Audio thread   The Home Audio thread - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 29, 2008 3:21 pm

I have 2 of these....one downstairs hooked up to a DTV, Digital cable box, Playstation 3 and a DLO ipod dock, and one upstairs hooked to and old SRT TV...and I'm happy with it till it blows....

LG model LGDVT418

The Home Audio thread - Page 2 20050816_1437431
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
Shintsu
Expert

PostSubject: Re: The Home Audio thread   The Home Audio thread - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 29, 2008 4:27 pm

AA wrote:
Fair enough. Adcom is a good brand. Just keep it if it works.
Works perfect, it's only unhooked because I lucked into a decent Integrated Amp (The Luxman) and it is too old to have polarized plugs which when if I turn the amp on before the preamp has totally come on the speakers thump from pure AC going to them. I'm going to wait until I can get a newer preamp with polarized plugs on the back before I hook it up.

Since no one has guessed, I'll just say what I paid for it all (Perhaps redundant if you've read my other posts about my audio equipment). The Technics receiver was free, the Pioneer turntable was $5, Technics CD player was free, Adcom was $125, Polks were $100 and the Luxman was $40. Everything works on everything I have and everything is clean and in good condition! The Luxman came from a Peddler's Mall and the same guy had a Bang & Olufsen Turntable for about $30 and I thought about getting it but I figure I don't need one with this nice Pioneer.
Back to top Go down
sburch23
Addict
sburch23

Name : Scott
Merit : 14

PostSubject: Re: The Home Audio thread   The Home Audio thread - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 06, 2008 1:28 pm

WOW
I want to get a B&O 3300 or 9800 for my Marantz system but they run $300 to $500 on ebay.
Back to top Go down
sburch23
Addict
sburch23

PostSubject: Re: The Home Audio thread   The Home Audio thread - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 06, 2008 7:21 pm

Here are my 2 stereo systems. AccuphaselKlipsch in the living room and Marantz in the bedroom.

The Accuphase T-100 Tuner
The Home Audio thread - Page 2 T-100

The Accuphase P-200 Preamp
The Home Audio thread - Page 2 D6ec_1

The Accuphase C-300 unbelievably clean sounding Amp
The Home Audio thread - Page 2 Ag_1

The Klipsch Chorus II speakers. I paid less for these than what Heresy speakers go for. Outstanding sound.
The Home Audio thread - Page 2 Ee2f_3

The Marantz 2285BB. The black version was sold in Europe.
The Home Audio thread - Page 2 Bc03_3
Back to top Go down
Shintsu
Expert

PostSubject: Re: The Home Audio thread   The Home Audio thread - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 06, 2008 7:36 pm

Nice setup, although personally I've always found Klipsch speakers to be overly bright due to those horn tweeters.
Back to top Go down
sburch23
Addict
sburch23

PostSubject: Re: The Home Audio thread   The Home Audio thread - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 07, 2008 9:24 pm

I agree that they are bright. "Overly" is a matter of taste. It is usually a love 'em or hate 'em type of thing.
Back to top Go down
Dj Brady
Enthusiast

Name : Brady
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: The Home Audio thread   The Home Audio thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 08, 2008 11:34 pm

That Marantz is dead sexy.
Back to top Go down
http://www.328studios.com
#1BearsFan
Enthusiast
#1BearsFan

Name : Bill
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: The Home Audio thread   The Home Audio thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 09, 2008 8:03 am

Nice old school Marantz.... I likey!
Back to top Go down
sburch23
Addict
sburch23

PostSubject: Re: The Home Audio thread   The Home Audio thread - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 10, 2008 7:19 pm

I bought it because I like the brushed aluminum knobs on black face. I am looking it B&O 9800 or 3300 which has a similar theme. Black body with brushed aluminum platter. I have a price limit on what I want to spend for something that I am buying mainly for looks (and neat function.)

I am going to add a ION turntable that comes with software to play my old vinyl albums onto a hard drive.
Back to top Go down
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

Name : Bert
Merit : 32

PostSubject: Re: The Home Audio thread   The Home Audio thread - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 19, 2008 6:33 pm

All I have is a Denon surround sound system that is approx. 10 years old and it freaking rocks my house. Literally, rocked one of the can lights out of the ceiling a few years ago...

I bought a outdoor speaker from Sears that is WAY COOL! clap
Plug the transmitter into your component, wireless kick ass audio anywhere on your property(within reason)... bow
Its perfect for outdoors, like the patio.

My speakers are tiny little units but these SOB's rock. Size dont matter.

Bert tavis
Back to top Go down
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

PostSubject: Wireless Digital Sound System for the Garage/Patio...   The Home Audio thread - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 27, 2008 1:47 pm

This works great for a killer sound system in your garage or on the deck, patio, next to the pool or virtually anywhere else on your property.
Looks are very deceiving it will get very loud and the sound quality is excellent.
Connect to your Satellite receiver or hook your ipod to it.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_05792917000P

The Home Audio thread - Page 2 05792917000

I just did not want to run wires all over the property for speakers....

Bert tavis
Back to top Go down
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

PostSubject: Re: The Home Audio thread   The Home Audio thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 07, 2008 1:53 pm

Bert thats a great idea. bonk
lmao I noticed this system on sale for $99.00 last weekend.

Bert tavis
Back to top Go down
Shintsu
Expert

PostSubject: Re: The Home Audio thread   The Home Audio thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 07, 2008 2:21 pm

ibmoses wrote:
Bert thats a great idea. bonk
lmao I noticed this system on sale for $99.00 last weekend.

Bert tavis
scratch Did you just post to yourself?
Back to top Go down
Shintsu
Expert

PostSubject: Re: The Home Audio thread   The Home Audio thread - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 19, 2008 9:07 pm

Woo hoo! I just bought a new pre-amp:
Spoiler:
The guy I bought it from just replaced it with a Rotel pre-amp and Rotel amplifier (The amp was beastly!!). His Rotel amp looked sorta like this
The Home Audio thread - Page 2 955c_1
Except it had fins on the sides too!

Now, I seriously want someone here to guess what I paid for this pre-amp. Keep in mind this MSRP'ed for $700 new.
Back to top Go down
sburch23
Addict
sburch23

PostSubject: Re: The Home Audio thread   The Home Audio thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 20, 2008 2:56 pm

$25
Back to top Go down
Shintsu
Expert

PostSubject: Re: The Home Audio thread   The Home Audio thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 20, 2008 3:53 pm

lol, I wish. Higher smile
Back to top Go down
Ridin-Rivi
Enthusiast
Ridin-Rivi

Name : Darrin
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: The Home Audio thread   The Home Audio thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 21, 2008 7:42 am

Very Nice, Adcom makes some good stuff.
Back to top Go down
Shintsu
Expert

PostSubject: Re: The Home Audio thread   The Home Audio thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 21, 2008 2:26 pm

Oh fine, you all ruin all the fun. I paid $100 for the NAD and the guy who sold it to me paid $400 for it a few years ago. It retailed for $700 new and I saw online they're going for around $300. I got a great deal! happy
Back to top Go down
sburch23
Addict
sburch23

PostSubject: Re: The Home Audio thread   The Home Audio thread - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 22, 2008 4:16 pm

That is still a good deal
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: The Home Audio thread   The Home Audio thread - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 03, 2009 9:36 pm

I have a story to tell. So if you have a few minutes, sit down, crack open your favorite beverage, and read along. I'm enjoying a Sam Adams blackberry witbier while writing this post - and listening to some tunes through my new speakers. Cheers to good music and hi-fi sound!

My fiancé and I have been at our new home for about a year now. It's a small place, nothing special, just a humble 2-bedroom starter home. The living room is about 15 x 20 ft, hardwood flooring, couch, table, tv, not much else. We do most of our "living" there. We also watch a few movies every week, but our entertainment system is lacking. Until today, it consisted of a tube TV, a DVD player, and a DTV box w/ bunny ears. That's it. It's gotten us by so far.

I've always been a music and film nut. I try to see at least 10 concerts per year, and probably go to twice as many movies (hey, I save money not having cable). I don't watch much TV, but we use the set-up described above for watching DVDs. For private music listening, I've always resorted to my car. This lets me turn up the volume and really enjoy the sound. In the house, I have an $80 Tivoli Audio single speaker radio from Target on the table in the kitchen. It sounds amazingly good for what it is.

About a month ago, I got this idea that I would install some kind of "home theater system" in the living room. The objective was to have the best sound possible for the least about of money - what an original idea! But seriously, like the Tivoli radio, I liked the prospect of having a simple set-up that delivered the goods, so thought I'd do some research and see what my options were. I knew one thing, whatever it was had to be small. My fiancé wouldn't permit a stack of components and floor-standing speakers. How do I explain it - she's a clean freak, and likes to have as little of everything as possible.

So I made a decision: my home theater system would be "Dolby 2.0" or basic 2-channel stereo, and this fact alone should keep the cost down. I knew from experience that you can have great sound quality from just a pair of good speakers and a modest amplifier. Take headphones, for example, and car stereos. No, it's not Dolby Digital 7._ THX certified Pro Logic, whatever... nope, a simple pair of stereo speakers can sound very, very good. And so the search was on.

I started Googling bookshelf speakers, and eventually migrated into Logitech and Klipsch desktop speakers for the PC. Since I use a set of Boston Acoustics PC speakers at work that sound pretty good, I looked into this area as a very real possibility. No fancy bells and whistles, just a set of left and rights, maybe a small subwoofer. The best part was, most of these PC speakers had the amplifier built in, so that meant no external components. Also, I know the gamers like to blast their sound effects pretty loudly, so maybe a good set of PC speakers could take a beating and sound good doing it?

Not sure how or when I made the discovery, but I think it was sorting by price at some on-line electronics dealer like newegg or J&R. The cut-off was $200. Yes, I had made the decision to buy an entire home theater system for under $200. I figured a set of desktop PC speakers for $200 might actually be a good starting point. At least I could take notes, then visit a local store and test a few out.

The "discovery" was a pair of speakers called the Audioengine 2. I had never heard of this company, but after reading a few reviews and consumer postings, I became very interested. Basically, here was a pair of stereo 2-way speakers, about 6" tall, employing Kevlar woofers & silk dome tweets - with 30Wrms of built in amplification, for $199. The idea was to connect your computer or iPod, but with RCA and 1/8" phono inputs, anything is possible. The big audio magazines like Stereophile were eating this up, saying some damn good things about this product.

Here's a photo of the system:

The Home Audio thread - Page 2 Audioengine2

Yep, that's it. Two speakers. Sure, there's a power supply, and a single 6 ft long piece of speaker wire, and a cord to plug in your iPod, but really, that's it. As far as looks go, I think they're pretty elegant, using the traditional piano gloss black, or if you want them in white, there is that option. One reviewer said he couldn't decide which color to get, so he bought a pair of both!

Other comments I read slowly convinced me that for $200, this was a sweet deal. Probably the single thing that made up my mind was this quote from the cnet review:

"I moved the Audioengine 2 out from the desktop and played them in my bedroom hooked up to a CD player. Wow, with more breathing room the sound was even better and stereo imaging stretched way beyond the actual locations of the speakers."

So at least one reviewer thought the Audioengines were well-suited for more than desktop use. I was ready to buy.

Trying to find these speakers new for under $199 is near impossible. It's like trying to find a new Lotus Elise for under $50k - you just can't. Everyone in the market knows they are worth the price. But I wanted to see if a better deal was out there, so searched Amazon for a couple weeks and finally found my deal: used, "like-new" for $169. Done. (I would have paid the $199 eventually).

A week later, I received the Audioengine 2s in the mail. The box they came in is minuscule, appearing only big enough for one speaker, not two. But then I opened it, and the fun began. The packaging people must have been given an unlimited budget for this project:

The Home Audio thread - Page 2 AEpackaging1

Yes, they put everything in its own velvet bag:

The Home Audio thread - Page 2 AEpackaging2

And here is everything. I doubt it's ever been used. Looks new, anyway:

The Home Audio thread - Page 2 AEtable1

And here is what the back sides look like. Note the volume knob placement:

The Home Audio thread - Page 2 AEtable2

Here is my less-than-$200 home theater after the 10 minute installation. All I had to do was hook up three wires:

The Home Audio thread - Page 2 AEsetup

How does it sound? Well, as the Stereophile reviewer put it:

"With every tune I played, I heard no noticeable coloration throughout the speaker's entire range; it was as neutral-sounding as any under-$1000 speaker I've heard. The highs were extended and detailed, and the Audioengine 2 was able to recreate room ambience and low-level dynamic articulation at levels of quality I'm used to hearing from far more expensive speakers."

I agree, even though I don't know very well what a pair of $1000 speakers sounds like, I would say with 100% confidence, if I paid a professional $1000 to install an "audiophile" quality stereo system, and it sounded as good as these two little 6" cubes, I'd be quite happy. That's all I can really say. They sound flawless.

First test: DVD copy of the classic, 2001: A Space Odyssey, recorded in stereo in 1967, and still one of my favorite movies. I watched the first few scenes, and was stunned at how loudly and accurate these little monsters slammed out the kettle drums of the opening theme. Also, they played Strauss's Blue Danube Waltz with such grace that I really haven't heard before, even during a theater playing of the film in 70 mm I saw last year. Listening through the film, there are all of the background effects, sound of the space craft, and that unmistakable voice of HAL - all perfect.

Next, a modern action flick - The Bourne Ultimatum was the first one I found. Wow, again. These little speakers really can perform like much larger models. I even felt the floor shake at times, and we're talking about 2.75" woofers here! Voices, music, foley affects, it was all in there. Simply amazing. Forget the fact that there's no surround sound. I didn't care, because the front channels sounded so friggin' good!

Now I had to connect my iPod and play some music. Pachelbel's Canon in D was first - flawless (and loud). Then some Ben Lee followed by Death Cab. I'd been to see both of these artists within the past 6 months, and the Audioengines impressed me with their tonal accuracy. Finally some Radiohead and Aphex Twin to test the bass range. Incredible, almost hard to believe these little woofers can move so much air. I tried to turn them up and distort, but it was pretty hard to do. The only noise I could create was from air turbulence blowing out of the slot vents. The speakers and cabinets were dead silent except for the music coming from them. Even with the air noise, the bass sounded very good from a few feet away. Not distorted at all. I can definitely use these without a sub.

Finally, to wrap up, I just want to say (if you can't already tell I'm excited about these speakers) I'm excited about these speakers! I'm excited about the low price, the fact they are heavy and made from wood, and that they look like something the average person wants to see sitting in their living room. It's truly great that a couple of dudes in California can set up shop and design a new product that blows away competition costing 5 or 10 times the price. Sure, these little speakers have limits - they aren't 2000W Marshall Stacks - but otherwise they sound great, and it helps that they have the story and the looks to seal the deal. One of the best products I've come across in a long while, maybe since I bought my Riviera.

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

Last edited by AA on Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
TonySmooth89
Aficionado
TonySmooth89

Name : Anthony
Merit : 16

PostSubject: Re: The Home Audio thread   The Home Audio thread - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 03, 2009 9:57 pm

Wow they sound truly impressive!

Just quit making me want to spend money already!
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: The Home Audio thread   The Home Audio thread - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 03, 2009 10:01 pm

Spend money.. you mean support the economy? wink

I like these Audioengine 2s so much, I want every Riviera Performance member to go out an buy a pair. I am short on cash as well, but I saved for a few weeks and made it happen. Phenomenal product, imo.

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Home Audio thread   The Home Audio thread - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Home Audio thread
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next