Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

BFS tables set after ported blower install?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
TonySmooth89
Aficionado
TonySmooth89

Name : Anthony
Merit : 16

BFS tables set after ported blower install? Empty
PostSubject: BFS tables set after ported blower install?   BFS tables set after ported blower install? EmptyMon Aug 18, 2008 2:59 pm

Well when installed to ported blower , i noticed it didn't seem much quicker , in fact it seemed to be almost as slow as stock... so i did some scans and noticed my timing was way low , in single digits sometimes and at wot between 12-13...weak! It didn't make sense as that wasn't what i had it set at when i last tuned it. So i reflashed the stock tables back in , and voila! car pulls very strong. Did some scans and i have some light knock (1-3 degreees through second , none in first ) but the humidity was very high today ( not sure if that helps or hurts ) and i have a plog ready to go on which hopefully will deal with that knock ( along with a fresh fuel filter and AL104 coppers ( well i already did the front , not the back yet). I noticed my plugs were rust colored and slightly corroded...not sure what that means but i'll post more on that later... point is, i thought ported blowers were supposed to reduce kr? And what could i have done that would have made the BFS tables activate?
Back to top Go down
Chicken
Aficionado
Chicken

Name : Mark
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Re: BFS tables set after ported blower install?   BFS tables set after ported blower install? EmptyMon Aug 18, 2008 3:15 pm

For your plug analysis
BFS tables set after ported blower install? Reading_spark_plugs
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: BFS tables set after ported blower install?   BFS tables set after ported blower install? EmptyMon Aug 18, 2008 3:40 pm

Quote :
And what could i have done that would have made the BFS tables activate?

From what I know, the bad fuel spark tables activate after periods of sustained, substantial KR. I've never had the timing table switch on me, so don't know for sure. In your case, it could be from low octane, SC pulley too small... or maybe a bad port job? Who did the work?

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
TonySmooth89
Aficionado
TonySmooth89

PostSubject: Re: BFS tables set after ported blower install?   BFS tables set after ported blower install? EmptyMon Aug 18, 2008 4:21 pm

Its a zzp ported blower , i doubt the quality of their work was poor. And it happened immediately after the ported blower install , i mean as soon as i started it up again...
However i did use some cheap gas( premium but cheapest in town) before and maybe i just happened to notice it at the same time i got the ported blower on.

Regardless its mostly fine now.

I'm thinking the plugs look like high speed glazing , possibly a result of me using platinum 104s instead of the copper ones. I have the coppers in now , and in a few months we'll see how they hold up , if they do the same i may switch to 103s.
Back to top Go down
Chicken
Aficionado
Chicken

Name : Mark
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Re: BFS tables set after ported blower install?   BFS tables set after ported blower install? EmptyMon Aug 18, 2008 6:12 pm

If something like that would happen to my Riv, being a '96, with limited tuning capabilities, I could just remove the negative battery terminal for 10 minutes or so and that should reset the PCM to stock, right?
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
TonySmooth89
Aficionado
TonySmooth89

PostSubject: Re: BFS tables set after ported blower install?   BFS tables set after ported blower install? EmptyTue Aug 19, 2008 3:12 pm

Chicken wrote:
If something like that would happen to my Riv, being a '96, with limited tuning capabilities, I could just remove the negative battery terminal for 10 minutes or so and that should reset the PCM to stock, right?

Assuming you have not reflashed your pcm , then yeah , but i think its more like 20-30 minutes.

So just an update , i think my problem lied in the guy who "helped" me tune my car a month or two back. I reset the MAF to where it was before as well as my timing tables and it eliminated all knock , my LTFTs are no longer way rich and i think i can probably add some timing too ( i had GTP timing tables with a few degrees taken off here and there before he "tuned "{more like runed} my car) and after the plog install should definitely be able to add a few more degrees ( maybe even pulley down too , but we'll see).
Oh in case you guys were wondering that was the day the pulley came off on me and took out my belts , so i had no idea how it was really running because my car was out of commission for most of the following weeks.

Now i really see why people say its all in the tune with these engines.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: BFS tables set after ported blower install?   BFS tables set after ported blower install? Empty

Back to top Go down

BFS tables set after ported blower install?
Page 1 of 1