Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Exterior Mirror Disassembly

Go down 
+12
flyineagle96
DEMonte1997
LARRY70GS
detroiter91
GMFreak8
Eldo
BMD
sqrivi
Rickw
palermocorey90
captshiner
99Rivman
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

Write-Up: Exterior Mirror Disassembly - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Exterior Mirror Disassembly   Write-Up: Exterior Mirror Disassembly - Page 2 EmptyWed May 04, 2011 4:51 pm

BMD wrote:
Looks great Larry, nice find. If you don't want the added thickness, another option is too swipe a mirror from an Aurora with the correct backing plate to pop it into the original housing on the RIv.
Write-Up: Exterior Mirror Disassembly - Page 2 IMG_8901

I'll definitely keep that in mind. The Burco mirror is very thin. You really don't notice the added thickness unless you look closely for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
Tajis
Amateur

Name : Tajis
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Exterior Mirror Disassembly   Write-Up: Exterior Mirror Disassembly - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 17, 2012 6:26 am

Hey, I may have sourced a mirror assembly to replace mine. It's a pull from 1995 Olds Aurora with the heated glass, but no tinting. It's the entire assembly, though, and I can get it for $50. Will this work with my 99 Riv?
Back to top Go down
llamalor2112
Junkie
llamalor2112

Name : Evan
Merit : 13

PostSubject: temp   Write-Up: Exterior Mirror Disassembly - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 17, 2012 4:14 pm

An Aurora mirror unit should work. Here, taken from Z-Type's Back in Black thread...
Z-type wrote:
Thanks Dave! How about we meet up at some point and you can take me for a ride in that Reatta smile . Arizona isn't THAT far from Pennsylvania...

Small update, y'all. Went to the junk yard today with my friend who needed some front end parts for his Lumina. I ended up finding an Aurora with a REALLY nice driver's side mirror. As you might remember, mine is somewhat of a lackluster glass oval rather than a mirror for whatever reason. The one I picked up hasn't turned gold from a failed autodim, and is heated! It's a shame I won't be able to use the heat. I have a feeling the connector for the mirror motor is different than what's on the Riv, but I'll have to check it out once my mirror comes out.

Obviously my Riv isn't white, so paint was in order.
Write-Up: Exterior Mirror Disassembly - Page 2 DSC05407

Then primer, and two coats of satin black:
Write-Up: Exterior Mirror Disassembly - Page 2 DSC05409

And three coats of clear:
Write-Up: Exterior Mirror Disassembly - Page 2 DSC05410

I'm going to let it cure for a few days then probably install it Sunday or so. I have to sand and buff it too. It's not a huge rush but it will be nice to see clearly from the driver's side again.
Back to top Go down
Z-type
Aficionado
Z-type

Name : Andrew Zamiska
Merit : 63

PostSubject: temp   Write-Up: Exterior Mirror Disassembly - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 03, 2012 9:14 pm

I changed my driver's side mirror today finally. Had a little change of plans though. I never used the mirror I so tediously painted from the Aurora. The wiring harness was just way too different. I ended up swapping the glass from the Aurora onto my original mirror/motor casing. It's nice to finally have a mirror I can see in, but no autodim for now frown . Evidently this Aurora didn't have that feature, just the heating. That's ok though. As long as my interior rearview works, I'm happy!

Back to top Go down
EyeDoc1
Enthusiast

Name : Christen
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Exterior Mirror Disassembly   Write-Up: Exterior Mirror Disassembly - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 23, 2022 3:45 pm

Here's a question.  My son not only broke the light sensitive mirror (heated-non memory) on his '98, but actually broke some of the internal mount points where the mirror screws in.  While I can get a replacement mirror (easy part), apparently the powers that be "changed" something between '95-'97 and the '98-'99 assemblies.  Question.  Can you take the housing from a '96 (in the junkyard NOW) and graft what is currently in the '98 to the older '96 housing.  Likely there are plastic tabs inside the housing, but who know, GM may have moved them or came up with something different. Take a look about 4 pictures up and you'll see the "innards" of a mirror housing. I just wanna know if this will work on a '98, because that's all I got in the junkyard at present...August, 2022. (Pick 'n Pull-Portland OR)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Exterior Mirror Disassembly   Write-Up: Exterior Mirror Disassembly - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Exterior Mirror Disassembly
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2