Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color)

Go down 
+57
69GSColorado
rivparadise
saintsnsinners
RidzRiv
Z-type
charlieRobinson
95 S C Riv
LaFlare
spinner421
deekster_caddy
J. Chris Davis
black shadow
krazyfish
95rivy
BigRay1125
dreww
Abaddon
DEMonte1997
Derek
BMD
nebstewart07
sburch23
crosss3
Eldo
Rickw
LARRY70GS
#1BearsFan
agrimm34
albertj
PAT906
Lucas
T Riley
Buapo
Shintsu
ToledoRIv
98riv
'96reese
Titan4
ZEP
96RIVMANN
palermocorey90
steel2040
Jack the R
jax95riv
Mr.Riviera
SpaceBar
allfalldown
mcgusto82
AA
xxsupergman25xx
99Rivman
turtleman
racinfan
Andysdorm
NO 4 EVR
61 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
NO 4 EVR
Addict
NO 4 EVR

Name : Troy
Merit : 1

FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color) Empty
PostSubject: FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color)   FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color) EmptyTue Mar 13, 2007 11:18 pm

I know I have been posting a lot of questions lately but I have been doing some srping cleaning while the weather is nice here in OH. I have found some things I am not sure about.

What is the number for this crazy light? It goes in the door handle part that you can see in the pic. It is very small and I have never seen it.

FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color) DSC00348

In this pic you can see the shifter and surrounding areas. Well I would imagine the letters P N R D etc should be lit up rather than the shifter itself (where the arrow points). I can see the shifter rod very well, but not the letters so much.

FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color) DSC00349
Can this be taken apart so I can reinstal this light?
Back to top Go down
Andysdorm
Aficionado
Andysdorm

Name : Andrew
Merit : 6

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color)   FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color) EmptyWed Mar 14, 2007 4:10 pm

my light on the driver's door handle went out. I only notice we had it when I noticed a glow at night fron the other handle. At first I thought it was a courtesy to the pessenger to find things but nope.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/671386
NO 4 EVR
Addict
NO 4 EVR

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color)   FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color) EmptyWed Mar 14, 2007 4:40 pm

Yeah I don't even know the number for such a bulb. I will check walmart than some auto parts stores then the dealer if I have to. Now I am about to take out the console where the shifter is to find where to properly mount the light in the second pic.
Back to top Go down
racinfan
Addict
racinfan

Name : Joe
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color)   FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color) EmptyWed Mar 14, 2007 4:55 pm

The bulb number should be in the FSM, I don't have mine with me right now but I'm sure someone else could look it up.

You could always try asking the dealership about it when they're fixing your tensioner and belt. wink
Back to top Go down
NO 4 EVR
Addict
NO 4 EVR

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color)   FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color) EmptyWed Mar 14, 2007 6:42 pm

Lol. for sure!
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color)   FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color) EmptyWed Mar 14, 2007 9:12 pm

I'm glad you posted on this. Both the grip light and the handle on my driver's side are out and these little things really bother me. (type A personality) I'll check the availability of these at work and see but these look like LED's from the picture NO 4 EVR posted so i really doubt it.

How did you take that one out in the picture?
It looks like youre just supposed to pry it out but i'm not about to do that without being sure..
Back to top Go down
NO 4 EVR
Addict
NO 4 EVR

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color)   FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color) EmptyWed Mar 14, 2007 10:28 pm

That one is very easy. Just use a flat head screw driver and some love (don't want to break or scratch anything!) and pry the little plastic cover off behind the door opener lever. Its right there in my pic. After that pull the whole piece out. It has one clip IIRC.

There is another one of those lights in the door handles (the ones you use to close the door from the inside) that you may have mentioned. That takes the same light bulb. However I don't know what that is supposed to light... Mine have a blue lense over all these lights for a blue tint, and as far as it looks, the blue lenses are stock. So my door handles light up blue.

To take the lights out of the door handles (the ones to close the car door) just use a star bit and take out the 2 screws. You will have to remove the little rubber screw hole covers. They just pop out easy no chance of breaking.

Anyone know what they light up? The ones on the bigger door handle?

EDIT: NM, I figured it out. The light in this handle lights up the area with the window and lock buttons etc...

FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color) DSC00353

But this bulb is the same as the ones in my first pic. So now I am down to 1 light, the other 3 are out.
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color)   FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color) EmptySat Mar 17, 2007 5:19 pm

well those lights are definitely not at my store so im thinkin dealer. im gonna stop by and see how much they are and get em if theyre not a lot. otherwise, i may try replacing them with 12v leds or something.

BTW does anyone have any pictures of the inner door panel removed or happen to know exactly how the wires to those two bulbs goes?
Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

Name : Randall
Merit : 89

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color)   FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color) EmptySat Mar 17, 2007 6:38 pm

Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/99Rivman
NO 4 EVR
Addict
NO 4 EVR

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color)   FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color) EmptySat Mar 17, 2007 8:36 pm

LOL, just had my door panel removed but I didnt take pics because I thought no one would need them. It is easy to remove

Just undo the screws and pull the panel up and out. plugs to unplug. I may need to take my panel off again so I can take pics if anyone wants.
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color)   FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color) EmptySat Mar 17, 2007 8:50 pm

NO 4 EVR wrote:
LOL, just had my door panel removed but I didnt take pics because I thought no one would need them. It is easy to remove

Just undo the screws and pull the panel up and out. plugs to unplug. I may need to take my panel off again so I can take pics if anyone wants.

did u look at the wiring for those two little lights near the door handle (not the ones on the bottom) at all? i wanted to know if they have any connectors any where or is it just wire all the way. in other words, to replace the bulbs, do i have to cut the wire?
Back to top Go down
xxsupergman25xx
Aficionado
xxsupergman25xx

Name : Scotty
Merit : 13

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color)   FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color) EmptySat Mar 17, 2007 9:58 pm

id like to see pics if possible next time
Back to top Go down
http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/xxsupergman25xx/
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color)   FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color) EmptyMon Mar 19, 2007 12:27 pm

i went to the dealer and they said those little lights aren't available anymore and there is no connector or anything (so i'm cuttin the booger), it just trails off into the inaccessible recesses of the main door loom.

I'm definitely going to set all four of those lights up with LED's so when i do that i'll be sure to provide details and photographs of it for yall
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color)   FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color) EmptyMon Mar 19, 2007 1:02 pm

Good idea using LEDs. If you can't find 12v versions in the right size, you could rig up a series of diodes to lower voltage and use 3 volt bulbs from Radio Shack.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color)   FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color) EmptyMon Mar 19, 2007 4:35 pm

so i was testing the light circuit with a multimeter and i accidentally shorted the two pins of the connector with the test lead and knocked out the lights. looked through all fuse boxes and they all look ok. any ideas?
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color)   FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color) EmptyMon Mar 19, 2007 4:47 pm

Did you check continuity on all fuses? Sometimes they look okay when they're blown.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color)   FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color) EmptyMon Mar 19, 2007 5:15 pm

almost all of my fuses are those light up ones that glow when they blow. are those known to not work ever?
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color)   FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color) EmptyFri Apr 06, 2007 6:38 pm

i replaced every minifuse in the car. still nothing
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

PostSubject: door button/handle lights   FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color) EmptySun Jun 24, 2007 11:44 pm

well i've finally gotten around to redoing those lights for the doors. It was a little more work than i had hoped but it seems to have worked out well.

The light in the door handle channel and the one thats inside the pull handle for the door had been out on the driver side since i got the car. They are not sold at the dealer anymore. I have ass loads of LED's so I used a couple to replace the bulbs with. They didn't work too well on the upper handle so I'm going to just use the OEM bulbs on that but the bottom handle with these LED's works excellent. Some major porting was necessary to make the ironically larger LED fit into the socket and diffuser.

I'll get some pics posted shortly...
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color)   FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color) EmptyMon Jun 25, 2007 12:16 am

FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color) 1
original upper light with out diffuser
FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color) 2
LED installed onto socket
FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color) 3
FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color) 4
FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color) 5
FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color) 6
Back to top Go down
mcgusto82
Enthusiast
mcgusto82

Name : Gus
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color)   FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color) EmptyMon Jun 25, 2007 9:12 am

wow. looks good.
Back to top Go down
allfalldown
allfalldown

Name : Adam

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color)   FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color) EmptyFri Jul 27, 2007 9:49 pm

To get the LED up through the black connector did you drill it out or do you have exceptional soldering skills?? smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.chevyorange.com
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color)   FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color) EmptySat Jul 28, 2007 7:53 pm

allfalldown wrote:
To get the LED up through the black connector did you drill it out or do you have exceptional soldering skills?? smile

just so you know I typed a response to this last night when i was drunk so i should probably be glad it didn't work then. that would have been interesting to read.

What you do is pull the little bulb off and basically rip the wires out of the plastic socket so you have a bare socket. then modification to the socket will need to be made (through drilling) to accommodate the LED and I would highly recommend soldering and heat shrinking the LED to your connector / wire.

If its one of the big LEDs like I got, drilling the socket is crucial because the LED needs to fit into the socket in order to clear the diffuser that covers it once its on the car. after all said and done, about 1/3 of my LED is hidden in the socket. If you find a smaller LED that will work, you may be able to just glue the wires/bulb to the socket like the OEM ones are but that size LED is hard to find suitable for this application.

If you do this, keep in mind that you definitely want to get automotive (12v) LEDs and no other kind. Otherwise you will have to do some tricks and math with a resistor to make it work.
Back to top Go down
SpaceBar
Aficionado
SpaceBar

Name : Patrick
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color)   FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color) EmptySat Jul 28, 2007 8:01 pm

turtleman wrote:
allfalldown wrote:

just so you know I typed a response to this last night when i was drunk so i should probably be glad it didn't work then. that would have been interesting to read.

Been there before. wink Always good not to go near the computer when you get home after a night of drinks. hah
Back to top Go down
http://community.webshots.com/user/xspacebarx
allfalldown
allfalldown

Name : Adam

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color)   FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color) EmptyMon Jul 30, 2007 11:51 pm

Thanks for that response. I should know tomorrow if I ordered the right part replacements (the whole thing, wire, bulb, connector).

I'm doubtful but I spoke to the rep on the phone and he held it in his hand as I described it!
Back to top Go down
http://www.chevyorange.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color)   FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color) Empty

Back to top Go down

FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color)
Page 1 of 9Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next