Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color)

Go down 
+57
69GSColorado
rivparadise
saintsnsinners
RidzRiv
Z-type
charlieRobinson
95 S C Riv
LaFlare
spinner421
deekster_caddy
J. Chris Davis
black shadow
krazyfish
95rivy
BigRay1125
dreww
Abaddon
DEMonte1997
Derek
BMD
nebstewart07
sburch23
crosss3
Eldo
Rickw
LARRY70GS
#1BearsFan
agrimm34
albertj
PAT906
Lucas
T Riley
Buapo
Shintsu
ToledoRIv
98riv
'96reese
Titan4
ZEP
96RIVMANN
palermocorey90
steel2040
Jack the R
jax95riv
Mr.Riviera
SpaceBar
allfalldown
mcgusto82
AA
xxsupergman25xx
99Rivman
turtleman
racinfan
Andysdorm
NO 4 EVR
61 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
crosss3
Amateur

Name : Steve
Merit : 0

FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color) - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color)   FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color) - Page 5 EmptyTue Nov 24, 2009 6:08 pm

Hmmmm. It's just buggin me. I don't want to take apart the climate control to find out there isn't any illumination ya know.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color)   FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color) - Page 5 EmptyTue Nov 24, 2009 6:12 pm

What year is your car.
maybe someone on here with the same year can tell you for sure.
you need to put some info in your sig so people can help you without having to ask the basics.
Back to top Go down
crosss3
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color)   FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color) - Page 5 EmptyTue Nov 24, 2009 6:15 pm

Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color)   FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color) - Page 5 EmptyTue Nov 24, 2009 6:27 pm

I've got a parts list that says the HVAC controller are the same P/N for 96 through 99.
If that is the case then all your buttons should be backlit.
Back to top Go down
crosss3
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color)   FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color) - Page 5 EmptyTue Nov 24, 2009 6:28 pm

Thanks man. I appreciate your help with this. I guess I need to look at the bulbs then.
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color)   FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color) - Page 5 EmptyTue Nov 24, 2009 6:41 pm

Yes, all the HVAC buttons are back lit. It's common for some or all of them to be out eventually. I used a guy on E Bay to go through mine. It was 80.00 + 10.00 shipping, and a 100.00 core charge if you want an exchange so there is no down time.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color)   FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color) - Page 5 EmptyTue Nov 24, 2009 6:47 pm

Larry,
What year is your car.?
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color)   FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color) - Page 5 EmptyTue Nov 24, 2009 6:58 pm

Looks like the price dropped to 50.00.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1996-BUICK-PARK-AVENUE-DIGITAL-CLIMATE-CONTROL-SERVICE_W0QQitemZ280263235973QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4140fd9985
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color)   FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color) - Page 5 EmptyTue Nov 24, 2009 6:59 pm

Rickw wrote:
Larry,
What year is your car.?

Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color)   FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color) - Page 5 EmptyTue Nov 24, 2009 7:02 pm

LARRY70GS wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1996-BUICK-PARK-AVENUE-DIGITAL-CLIMATE-CONTROL-SERVICE_W0QQitemZ280263235973QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4140fd9985
That's an excellent price considering that you would have to pay that much for a used junk yard part without knowing how long it will last.
At least here, for $50.00, your getting a re-worked unit with a warranty.
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color)   FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color) - Page 5 EmptyTue Nov 24, 2009 7:04 pm

Rickw wrote:
LARRY70GS wrote:

That's an excellent price considering that you would have to pay that much for a used junk yard part without knowing how long it will last.
At least here, for $50.00, your getting a re-worked unit with a warranty.

He did a great job on mine. I used the exchange service so there was no down time. Fast shipping. He works on all kinds of dash board gauges and units. It's Digital Dash solutions.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color)   FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color) - Page 5 EmptyTue Nov 24, 2009 7:12 pm

Steve (cross3) you may want to take advantage of this deal, unless you would prefer to do it yourself.
I know i could do it myself but i wouldn't knowing I can have someone else do it, replacing bulbs and whatever else he does to the unit, for $50.00. Very cheap service. IMO.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color)   FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color) - Page 5 EmptyTue Nov 24, 2009 9:35 pm

crosss3 wrote:
Ok, I know there are write-ups on replacing HVAC lights but my question is do all the HVAC and Radio buttons light up? It doesn't say in the manual and I find it hard to believe that the backlights for the buttons are all out at the same time. It's not a fuse so can someone just let me know. Thanks.

What happens is they go one at a time, but once one goes out the rest go quickly. And most (original) owners don't bother replacing them - they go to a dealer "please fix this" and the dealer says "not fixable, you have to get a new head unit for $$$." and the owner will not usually replace an entire head unit just for one bulb.

Same for the radio.

What the *dealers* do is when they go out they pull the radio and HVAC head and send them to a company like United Radio in Syracuse to be "shopped" - for relatively short money they will replace the bulbs and what-not. Actually in this area (NY/PA/NH/VT) a LOT of people send radios to United. They're quite good. See their web site: http://www.unitedradio.com/automotive/ What-not means that in our radios they often will also replace the final output amps.

There was another post on this site that pointed to resources for learning electrical soldering and troubleshooting. This is a case in which learning those skills would save you more than $400 and cost you less than $40.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
crosss3
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color)   FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color) - Page 5 EmptyWed Nov 25, 2009 8:07 am

I really appreciate your help guys. I will look into that deal on ebay and see if we can get something done. Does anyone have any idea how long it would take to get the replacement unit?
Back to top Go down
crosss3
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color)   FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color) - Page 5 EmptyWed Nov 25, 2009 8:24 am

Sorry I mean the unit back from being repaired.
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color)   FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color) - Page 5 EmptyWed Nov 25, 2009 11:42 am

crosss3 wrote:
I really appreciate your help guys. I will look into that deal on ebay and see if we can get something done. Does anyone have any idea how long it would take to get the replacement unit?

He is in Connecticut I believe. I used the exchange service. He charges you a 100.00 core charge, and ships out a refurbished unit. When you get it (took 2 days for me), you install his, and ship your original back to him. He then credits you the 100.00. No down time.
Back to top Go down
sburch23
Addict
sburch23

Name : Scott
Merit : 14

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color)   FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color) - Page 5 EmptyWed Nov 25, 2009 12:57 pm

I bought a unit from a junkyard and installed it and then sent out the unit with the dim display. US Mailed from GA to CT on Monday and got the unit back on Friday of the same week. I was amazed that the US Mail worked that fast so the actual work had to have been same day. Still one of my best ebay experiences. Highly recommended.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color)   FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color) - Page 5 EmptyWed Nov 25, 2009 4:41 pm

How much did the junkyard unit cost.??
I'm just curious how much they are getting for these units.
I'm noticing my display is starting out dim then slowly getting bright after start up.
I'll assume that this is the beginning of the end for my control head.
I'll use this guy also, as he is only one State away from me, CT to MA, should be a quick turnaround also.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color)   FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color) - Page 5 EmptyThu Nov 26, 2009 1:21 am

Even though the eBay guy has a very quick turnaround, for what it's worth, you may be able to find a local audio shop to do it for you as well... When the tape deck went bad in my stereo, I took it to the audio shop next to my brother's auto shop, and he replaced it with a new factory unit in a few days. Light bulbs should be available locally...
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color)   FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color) - Page 5 EmptySat Feb 06, 2010 8:45 am

I thought I would post an update on my HVAC repair. The repair is covered by a 3 month warranty. I installed my exchange unit in September. At the end of December, the unit started to fail. I always leave the unit in "Auto" mode with the temperature set at 74*. When I started the car, the screen was blank, the buttons were all, non responsive. The only thing I had was the back lighting. If I banged on the top of the dash, the screen would suddenly show just the centigrade indicator. If I shut the engine and restarted, everything would come back, and it would be fine for a day, or a week, then the same problem would occur again. When the function did return, the mode was off "Auto", and the air was blowing from the heater and windshield outlets. I always got heat as the engine warmed up, but I had no control over anything when the problem was occuring, very strange.

I called Digital Dash Solutions. Even though the warranty was up, he told me to send it in and he would look at it. I did so this past Tuesday (2/2/10). He e-mailed me yesterday to tell me the unit was repaired and on it's way back to me. Hopefully, it will be fine. The bottom line is there was a problem, but he took care of it for free. I E mailed him back thanking him and asking if it was something simple, but he has not responded (it was after his business hours to be honest). I'll post again if he gets back to me, and if the repair works.
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color)   FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color) - Page 5 EmptySat Feb 06, 2010 9:21 am

Just got an E-mail from Carl. The verdict, Broken trace on the PC board.
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color)   FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color) - Page 5 EmptyMon Feb 08, 2010 6:37 pm

Got the unit back today. Put it in the car and it is perfect.
Back to top Go down
nebstewart07
Fanatic
nebstewart07

Name : Ben Stewart
Merit : 6

PostSubject: Gauge Kit?   FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color) - Page 5 EmptyTue Dec 14, 2010 10:58 am

Does anyone know of a kit to make your gauges and gauge lights a different color?
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

Name : BMD
Merit : 36

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color)   FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color) - Page 5 EmptyTue Dec 14, 2010 11:07 am

If you remove the bulbs from behind the dash you can cover them with a rubber shield thats is of a different color, or get colored markers and paint 'em, it works!
Back to top Go down

Name : Andrew
Merit : 123

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color)   FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color) - Page 5 EmptyTue Dec 14, 2010 11:14 am

.. or just put in led bulbs. My dash lights are blue! Just pull the cluster and swap the bulbs.

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color)   FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color) - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

FAQ: Interior Lighting Questions (Dash/Guage Color)
Page 5 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next