Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Vehichle speed sensor location?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
NO 4 EVR
Addict
NO 4 EVR

Name : Troy
Merit : 1

Vehichle speed sensor location? Empty
PostSubject: Vehichle speed sensor location?   Vehichle speed sensor location? EmptyTue Sep 02, 2008 5:06 pm

Hey long time no see everyone!

Got some issues with the Riv and I need a quick answer.

The speedo does not work and the riv won't shift out of what seems like 2nd gear.

It's not the TPS, I just replaced that. Next up is the VSS and I think I have the right part but I have no clue where it is. Any help would be great.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: Vehichle speed sensor location?   Vehichle speed sensor location? EmptyTue Sep 02, 2008 5:28 pm

Isn't it built into the hub assy?
Back to top Go down
'96reese
Fanatic

Name : Reese
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: Vehichle speed sensor location?   Vehichle speed sensor location? EmptyTue Sep 02, 2008 7:21 pm

it sits on the right side of the transmission, where the half shaft goes in the transmission. shoot me your email address and i'll send you a picture of the diagram. dont know how to load it up on here
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: Vehichle speed sensor location?   Vehichle speed sensor location? EmptyTue Sep 02, 2008 11:09 pm

There's the man with the answer... smile
Back to top Go down
NO 4 EVR
Addict
NO 4 EVR

PostSubject: Re: Vehichle speed sensor location?   Vehichle speed sensor location? EmptyWed Sep 03, 2008 12:29 am

'96reese wrote:
it sits on the right side of the transmission, where the half shaft goes in the transmission. shoot me your email address and i'll send you a picture of the diagram. dont know how to load it up on here

PM sent

1998 Riv wrote:
Isn't it built into the hub assy?

I believe you are thinking of the Wheel Speed Sensor which is in the hub if I'm not mistaken
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: Vehichle speed sensor location?   Vehichle speed sensor location? EmptyWed Sep 03, 2008 9:29 am

Yes, exactly. My bad.
Back to top Go down
BillBoost37
Junkie

Merit : 26

PostSubject: Re: Vehichle speed sensor location?   Vehichle speed sensor location? EmptyWed Sep 03, 2008 10:00 am

Please scan for codes before shotgunning parts. Many of the trans codes take 2-3 faults to illuminate a MIL
Back to top Go down
NO 4 EVR
Addict
NO 4 EVR

PostSubject: Re: Vehichle speed sensor location?   Vehichle speed sensor location? EmptyWed Sep 03, 2008 5:43 pm

Well I found the VSS based on your instructions Resse, thanks! Replaced it and everything is A OK. Gotta admit it was a little PITA

BillBoost37 wrote:
Please scan for codes before shotgunning parts. Many of the trans codes take 2-3 faults to illuminate a MIL

Yeah I'm with you 100 procent on that one. However I have a couple of reasons why I chose this method.

1. My roomate of 5 years has a scan tool, however he moved to Florida recently and I didn't have one on hand.

2. I'm trying to replace all cheap sensors and components now that the riv is getting old.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Vehichle speed sensor location?   Vehichle speed sensor location? EmptyWed Sep 03, 2008 9:58 pm

What makes you think the VSS is a 'cheap sensor'? I've never heard of one going bad.
Back to top Go down
'96reese
Fanatic

Name : Reese
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: Vehichle speed sensor location?   Vehichle speed sensor location? EmptyWed Sep 03, 2008 10:02 pm

no prob man. i have acess to alldatapro so any future question jus holla.
Back to top Go down
NO 4 EVR
Addict
NO 4 EVR

PostSubject: Re: Vehichle speed sensor location?   Vehichle speed sensor location? EmptyThu Sep 04, 2008 12:49 am

deekster_caddy wrote:
What makes you think the VSS is a 'cheap sensor'? I've never heard of one going bad.

Umm... Because I just bought one and installed it? Not sure where you're going w/ this one...

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0500

The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Vehichle speed sensor location?   Vehichle speed sensor location? EmptyThu Sep 04, 2008 12:40 pm

NO 4 EVR wrote:
deekster_caddy wrote:

Umm... Because I just bought one and installed it? Not sure where you're going w/ this one...

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0500

The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence

Oh, I thought you meant 'cheap' as in a crappy OEM one that fails, like the cam position sensor... I wondered why you would replace a sensor that has no problem and no history of failure, that's all.

Edit: Sorry, hadn't been paying attention to this thread. It sounded like you were just replacing sensors for the fun of it. NM. This threw me off:
NO 4 EVR wrote:
2. I'm trying to replace all cheap sensors and components now that the riv is getting old.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Vehichle speed sensor location?   Vehichle speed sensor location? Empty

Back to top Go down

Vehichle speed sensor location?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riv Performance ::   Supercharged 3800 Tech :: Series II Engine & Transmission-
Jump to: