Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

W body, F Body ??? Help!

Go down 
+5
T Riley
jimmyriv
deekster_caddy
TonySmooth89
Rickw
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

W body, F Body ???  Help! Empty
PostSubject: W body, F Body ??? Help!   W body, F Body ???  Help! EmptyMon Sep 15, 2008 1:28 am

Hello everyone,
As you'l be able to tell I'm not only new to the site but new to these cars.
I've got a 98 Riv sc with low miles and am ready to unleash some of it's potential. One of my first questions is: can anybody tell me the definitions of the various letter codes that I've been coming across on this site and others to help me determine what fits and what doesnt.
W-Body? F- Body? and what body is my 98?
hope this isn't too dumb a question to ask, but I've spent most of my life wrenching on airplanes and motorcycles.
Thanks, Rick
Back to top Go down
TonySmooth89
Aficionado
TonySmooth89

Name : Anthony
Merit : 16

PostSubject: Re: W body, F Body ??? Help!   W body, F Body ???  Help! EmptyMon Sep 15, 2008 1:34 am

W-body is primarily Gm's " high value" line of cars platform , including the regal , Grand prix , impala , and a few others.

F-bodies are camaros and firebirds , i think those were the only two off of that chassis.

The Riv is a G-body , a heavy platform , but also a impressively strong and rigid one as well.

Not too dumb to ask at all!

Good to have you with us! If you can't find something using the search feature , don't be afraid to ask questions , we're here to help.

Also it helps to put details about your vehicle in your sig , such as what year , engine mods , and whether or not its supercharged. there were slight differences from year to year so some things vary.

Again welcome!
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: W body, F Body ??? Help!   W body, F Body ???  Help! EmptyMon Sep 15, 2008 1:49 am

Thank's Anthony, looking forward to gaining more knowledge and meeting more Riv owner's who have alreadt performed a lot of mod's. Should help save some money and aggravation.
Back to top Go down
TonySmooth89
Aficionado
TonySmooth89

Name : Anthony
Merit : 16

PostSubject: Re: W body, F Body ??? Help!   W body, F Body ???  Help! EmptyMon Sep 15, 2008 2:12 am

Yeah this site has saved me plenty of money , most of which has probably gone back into mods. How far do you plan on going with mods? I must warn you though , its hard to stop once you start. My last mod was a month ago and i'm looking for the next one already.

Post some pics up when you get a chance.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: W body, F Body ??? Help!   W body, F Body ???  Help! EmptyMon Sep 15, 2008 7:38 am

Welcome! Yes, the Riv is a "G" body. Other G's are Park Ave, Bonneville, Caddy STS, Aurora... basically the W body's big brother.

Although it's done over and over, don't make your first mod a pulley drop, as tempting as it is it will just bring KR and headache. You've got to increase airflow on the pressure side of the supercharger before you pump more air in. Something along the lines of Rockers, Cam, Exhaust (headers/PEMs - I'd just go straight for the headers).

Get some kind of scan tool, or even better a programmer, something that can scan multiple parameters at once, and record them for later review. It's one of the best ways we can help you figure out what you need next.

Optionally, you can buy a pre-programmed PCM from one of the aftermarket vendors that can help, but knowing what's going on inside your engine is very important.

Enjoy the site!
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: W body, F Body ??? Help!   W body, F Body ???  Help! EmptyMon Sep 15, 2008 6:14 pm

I think for right now I'm going to continue with the suspension. I have new struts and springs all around, Need larger sway bar's and after reading some threads on this site I've come to realize i need a front shock tower brace. Need to go back and get caddy P/N and order one.
Will a Snap-on MT2500 scanner be adequate for gathering the data needed before changing PCM, exhaust, rocker's, CAI, etc.
I'm thinking of selling one of my other toy's to finance the mod's on the Riv.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: W body, F Body ??? Help!   W body, F Body ???  Help! EmptyMon Sep 15, 2008 6:19 pm

Why won't my sig and info show up on the bottom of my post. i filled out all the info. Must have done something wrong? I'll try again.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: W body, F Body ??? Help!   W body, F Body ???  Help! EmptyMon Sep 15, 2008 7:07 pm

I think you need to enable it with another button.
Back to top Go down
jimmyriv
Junkie
jimmyriv

Name : James
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Re: W body, F Body ??? Help!   W body, F Body ???  Help! EmptyMon Sep 15, 2008 7:59 pm

Welcome to the site, Rick! cheers
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/jimmyriv
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: W body, F Body ??? Help!   W body, F Body ???  Help! EmptyMon Sep 15, 2008 8:26 pm

Welcome sir
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
1wickedninja
Addict
1wickedninja

Name : Josh
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: W body, F Body ??? Help!   W body, F Body ???  Help! EmptyMon Sep 15, 2008 9:17 pm

welcome and good luck!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/1wickedninja
lyonsperformance
Enthusiast
lyonsperformance

Name : Michael
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: W body, F Body ??? Help!   W body, F Body ???  Help! EmptyTue Sep 16, 2008 7:45 am

Welcm to the forum Rick!
Back to top Go down
ewolfe0050
Aficionado
ewolfe0050

Name : Eric
Merit : 27

PostSubject: Re: W body, F Body ??? Help!   W body, F Body ???  Help! EmptyTue Sep 16, 2008 8:19 am

Glad you found your way to the site!
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: W body, F Body ??? Help!   W body, F Body ???  Help! EmptyWed Sep 17, 2008 9:37 am

Thanks to you
Back to top Go down
djlorenzana
djlorenzana

Name : Diego
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: W body, F Body ??? Help!   W body, F Body ???  Help! EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 6:22 pm

Good info guys.. What scanner will work on a 95 and I have been looking for PCM's but I have only found for 96 and up....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: W body, F Body ??? Help!   W body, F Body ???  Help! Empty

Back to top Go down

W body, F Body ??? Help!
Page 1 of 1