Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Pictures of Stereo Installs

Go down 
+37
100percentjake
MarkoRv
jbird
sloshua
dbriviera
stan
robotennis61
matt270avian
96_Juggernaut
bigdave
Yardley
Johnny5
turtleman
charlieRobinson
th3fr4nchi5e
ajgee2011
albertj
IBx1
flyineagle96
c0reyl
duster_do_little
TonySmooth89
ghost88
curious riv
R1V 1T UP
envus87
AA
deekster_caddy
dscott2000
sqrivi
vendetta
ericde
millerje18
SuperRiv07
99 Riviera 99
sburch23
riviera2454
41 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

Pictures of Stereo Installs - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pictures of Stereo Installs   Pictures of Stereo Installs - Page 5 EmptyWed Oct 01, 2014 10:09 pm

There's 2 subs, 1 channel. I'll try disconnecting each sub to see if one changes something.
I'll verify the RCA signal in by plugging the other amp's signal line to the sub amp. I'll update from there
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

PostSubject: Re: Pictures of Stereo Installs   Pictures of Stereo Installs - Page 5 EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:45 am

turtleman wrote:
There's 2 subs, 1 channel. I'll try disconnecting each sub to see if one changes something.
I'll verify the RCA signal in by plugging the other amp's signal line to the sub amp. I'll update from there

I disconnected each sub and tried the other RCAs that are known to be good. Same thing. I thought I had it with that second sub cause it was good for like a 20sec stretch but then it started cutting out again. Any other thoughts on this?
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

Name : Charlie
Merit : 31

PostSubject: Re: Pictures of Stereo Installs   Pictures of Stereo Installs - Page 5 EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 12:08 pm

Could it be the receiver?
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

PostSubject: Re: Pictures of Stereo Installs   Pictures of Stereo Installs - Page 5 EmptySat Oct 04, 2014 12:40 pm

charlieRobinson wrote:
Could it be the receiver?

I don't think so 'cause I tried the known good signal wires that go to the other amp and this amp still did the same thing.
I haven't proved that the head unit preamp can't be bad but I have proved that my symptom remains using another source which pretty much means the HU is fine
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

PostSubject: Re: Pictures of Stereo Installs   Pictures of Stereo Installs - Page 5 EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:14 pm

Pictures of Stereo Installs - Page 5 20141006_105959
the replacement amp
JBL BP600.1
I test connected it and it worked fine so I'll put it in and assume my sony is broken I guess
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

Name : Matt
Merit : 54

PostSubject: Re: Pictures of Stereo Installs   Pictures of Stereo Installs - Page 5 EmptyMon Sep 28, 2015 7:13 pm

Relocated my sub for a cleaner install, to regain some trunk space, and to make it easily removable for autocross. If anyone wants my old sub enclosure 50 bucks and it's yours. Will include some matching fabric, wires, split loom, and fabric glue.

Pictures of Stereo Installs - Page 5 2015-021
Back to top Go down
MarkoRv
MarkoRv

Name : Marko
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Pictures of Stereo Installs   Pictures of Stereo Installs - Page 5 EmptyMon Nov 30, 2015 9:44 pm

Can the aftermarket stereo still be controlled from the steering wheel controls ?
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

PostSubject: Re: Pictures of Stereo Installs   Pictures of Stereo Installs - Page 5 EmptyMon Nov 30, 2015 10:02 pm

MarkoRv wrote:
Can the aftermarket stereo still be controlled from the steering wheel  controls ?

You need to get an adapter module, PAC Audio makes them.
Back to top Go down
dbriviera
dbriviera

Name : Dave Derhak
Merit : 9

PostSubject: Data lines (UART) and HVAC   Pictures of Stereo Installs - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 17, 2016 6:22 pm

One thing that becomes apparent in the G body design is that the UART (Universal asynchronous receiver/transmitter) data in the cars electrical system uses a processor in the radio to transmit the HVAC s steering wheel control inputs and the flourescent display dimmer signal as well. So I found that while you can get the steering wheel controls to run the radio, the HVAC (temp) and temp display dimmer will no longer function.
Back to top Go down
100percentjake
Amateur
100percentjake

Name : 100percentjake

PostSubject: Re: Pictures of Stereo Installs   Pictures of Stereo Installs - Page 5 EmptyThu Jul 14, 2016 7:15 pm

What is the best way to open up the back of the dash radio pocket? I have a really nice double-DIN Pioneer that I'd love to have in my Riv but it's too deep to fit and I don't really have any tool that could cut out plastic in the back of what is essentially a bucket like that.
Back to top Go down
http://fastnotloud.com
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Pictures of Stereo Installs   Pictures of Stereo Installs - Page 5 EmptyMon Jul 18, 2016 7:42 pm

100percentjake wrote:
What is the best way to open up the back of the dash radio pocket? I have a really nice double-DIN Pioneer that I'd love to have in my Riv but it's too deep to fit and I don't really have any tool that could cut out plastic in the back of what is essentially a bucket like that.

My install guy just busted it all out with a long flat screwdriver and a hammer. He went along making a "scribe" mark with it, and then eventually broke it all out. My Alpine was going to stick out like mad, too. It's nice and flush after the "mod".

I'm not saying go ape shit and start blowing apart your dash. My buddy has been installing for years and knew right where to start hammering. I didn't ask questions.....

If you're worried, there's nothing back there. It's just a giant plastic cage. Break the back flat section out, and the radio slides all the way back.
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

PostSubject: Re: Pictures of Stereo Installs   Pictures of Stereo Installs - Page 5 EmptyTue Jul 19, 2016 10:40 am

I used a Dremel with a drill bit. It's pretty messy but a lot more precise than just hammering it out. Either way works fine, like Abaddon said there's nothing important back there.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Pictures of Stereo Installs   Pictures of Stereo Installs - Page 5 EmptyTue Jul 19, 2016 5:40 pm

I wonder if the cage was there to reduce NVH (or as the Asian Indians say, BSR - buzz Squeak and Rattle).
Back to top Go down
100percentjake
Amateur
100percentjake

PostSubject: Re: Pictures of Stereo Installs   Pictures of Stereo Installs - Page 5 EmptyWed Jul 20, 2016 9:12 am

I went around the edge drilling holes and vacuuming out plastic, then went between the holes with a flathead screwdriver and a rubber mallet. Super soft plastic. Worked great.
Pictures of Stereo Installs - Page 5 Nadvgpfw1bljpzu5pito

Pictures of Stereo Installs - Page 5 G0ivvthcj7fx1v6qegqc

I put in my double DIN Pioneer and painted the dash black. Anyone know how to separate the "wings" on the door cards from the rest of the door? They look like they pop out but I can't figure out where to pry or what hidden screws might exist.

Pictures of Stereo Installs - Page 5 Hqekqzbxu5ikexpqxs0z

Pictures of Stereo Installs - Page 5 Ys2v7tycippyvnafny3l

Ignore the uneven-looking paint on the dashboard. There's a lot of greasy handprints that make it looks like garbage. I need to wipe it down with some degreaser.
Back to top Go down
jbird
Fanatic
jbird

Name : Jeff
Merit : 6

PostSubject: Re: Pictures of Stereo Installs   Pictures of Stereo Installs - Page 5 EmptyThu Jul 21, 2016 12:20 pm

Looks like that worked well!
Stereo upgrade is on my list.

There has been others who painted the "wings" hopefully they'll chime in.
I like the look of the black, it reminds me of my Regal's dash.
Jbird

99rivman posted this:
"They do come off of the door panel, but with a lot of difficulty! With the door panel removed you can see the tabs from that panel on the inside, they are actually melted or hot glued in or something of that nature. I'm sure they can be removed, I have never done it, but you would have to hot glue them back in or something like that."
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Pictures of Stereo Installs   Pictures of Stereo Installs - Page 5 EmptyThu Jul 21, 2016 3:22 pm

Yes. They have to be broken out, and then fastened back in somehow. I recommend a 2-part plastic epoxy.
Back to top Go down
100percentjake
Amateur
100percentjake

PostSubject: Re: Pictures of Stereo Installs   Pictures of Stereo Installs - Page 5 EmptyTue Jul 26, 2016 1:55 pm

Well that's lame. Maybe I'll just get creative with the masking and paint them on the car.
Back to top Go down
JohnRedman
Amateur

Name : John Redman

PostSubject: Re: Pictures of Stereo Installs   Pictures of Stereo Installs - Page 5 EmptyTue May 23, 2017 11:41 am

I'm just looking for instruction on exposing the CD player in my '95 Riviera. It keeps spitting out the CD and giving an error indication. I have a spare but don't want to mess up the cover. I THOUGHT that I asked this question yesterday and I got notified that there was an answer but I cannot find it (thus this 2nd attempt).
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Pictures of Stereo Installs   Pictures of Stereo Installs - Page 5 EmptyTue May 23, 2017 12:44 pm

JohnRedman wrote:
I'm just looking for instruction on exposing the CD player in my '95 Riviera. It keeps spitting out the CD and giving an error indication. I have a spare but don't want to mess up the cover. I THOUGHT that I asked this question yesterday and I got notified that there was an answer but I cannot find it (thus this 2nd attempt).

the '95 Riv dash differs from the '96 and later, and you got an answer already: https://rivperformance.editboard.com/t1187p75-write-up-riv-dash-and-door-removal#190868 - there is a chance you could not see the excerpt from the manual that was scanned into the reply.   That scan answers your question.

Basically the trim plate just pulls out and you may need to open the cupholder door for clearance.  Once the trim plate is off then IIRC there may be a DIN mount or screws I forget which. If you have to use DIN radio tools to remove the CD player, then there's a U-shaped wire you stick into a couple holes on each side of the device to relieve a couple springs and slide it out. If screws they will be obvious.

When Lance answered you he recommended you get a manual.  I support that - you'll avoid issues if you do and they are not that much when you find them: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1995-BUICK-RIVIERA-OLDSMOBILE-AURORA-GM-SERVICE-REPAIR-2-MANUAL-SET-/232343093429.
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

PostSubject: Re: Pictures of Stereo Installs   Pictures of Stereo Installs - Page 5 EmptyTue May 30, 2017 9:30 am

Pictures of Stereo Installs - Page 5 20170514
Replaced the FH-P8000BT (from 2010) with a new FH-X731BT (late 2016 model)

Pictures of Stereo Installs - Page 5 20170510
Pictures of Stereo Installs - Page 5 20170511

I could go on and on about reviewing these two against one-another but I'll hold off unless somebody's shopping for something and wants the info.
The cliffs - new one has all the slick new built-in features but is not as nice as the old one

On a related note, I did away with my ipod mount to the left of the head unit. The new head unit has a search menu that I can live with so I wanted to get the ipod out of view
Pictures of Stereo Installs - Page 5 20170512
This is where I have it for now - we'll see how that goes but I have a feeling I'm gonna have to do something a little more elaborate than just throw it under the steering trims lol
Back to top Go down
dbriviera
dbriviera

PostSubject: 10.1 touch screen by Eonon   Pictures of Stereo Installs - Page 5 EmptySat Jun 27, 2020 9:17 pm

https://www.eonon.com/mobile/Eonon-101-Inch-Android-10-Universal-Double-Din-Car-Stereo-with-Bluetooth-50-Car-GPS-Navigation.html

Bought it a few years ago. Covers the HVAC (but its still accsesible) but the vertical height of the entire screen is adjustable. I set the climate control and usually never touch it again . Plus because the cars dimmer control runs through the radio and then to the HVAC controls, when you dim the dash lights (turn on the headlights ) after stock radio removal, the HVAC stays full brightness ..so the large screen sort of blocks it anyway so it's not a bad thing at night.. I also run a 2000 watt amp out for the speakers and 800watts for a 10in Pioneer sub box sound is superb and on a budget. ( the pictures are below this app is difficult to use and upload pictures seems to be big pain and I ended up deleting them somehow so see them below)

Last edited by dbriviera on Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
dbriviera
dbriviera

PostSubject: Re: Pictures of Stereo Installs   Pictures of Stereo Installs - Page 5 EmptySat Jun 27, 2020 9:41 pm

Pictures of Stereo Installs - Page 5 Img_2014
Pictures of Stereo Installs - Page 5 Img_2015
Pictures of Stereo Installs - Page 5 Img_2016
Back to top Go down
dbriviera
dbriviera

PostSubject: Re: Pictures of Stereo Installs   Pictures of Stereo Installs - Page 5 EmptySat Jun 27, 2020 9:54 pm

Its basically Android with wifi. You can use a data card too if you wish to have mobile wi fi but i just tether my phone to it for that. Included a dash cam and software that records on a usb stick,a back up cam, 1 usb port i use for exteral hard drive plus another usb port I wedge into the dash as you can see. Fit perfect. The EQ is left over from stock radio...I had added the eq because it uses blue tooth so in affect I had a stock radio before with bluetooth and amps sub and the works..but the 10.1 inch did away with its need and I dont use CD or cassette any longer. So the old eq fills the hole well and looks like it almost belongs so i have yet to remove it. I have Torque app on it as well and i put an diagnostics lead extender i got on Amazon so i can plug the OBD adapter in the center console instead of the dash . Easier for tuning and the torque app...comes with navi too so you can use google maps, waze or and embedded program (separate memory card slot in head unit behind screen) as i did . The amps are from amazon, Lanzar(?) And the 6x9 are Lanzar and the sub is Pioneer. Door speakers are cheap walmart Duals i think but i have Infinity Kapas to go in later.
Back to top Go down
DeepFrozen
Enthusiast

Name : Dmitry
Merit : 11

PostSubject: Re: Pictures of Stereo Installs   Pictures of Stereo Installs - Page 5 EmptySun Jun 28, 2020 4:53 am

I thought about putting a big screen Android device in there too, but this... I'd say 10.1" is a little bit too much )
On the other hand - whatever makes you happy, man, it's your car. It's nice to have big screen )
Back to top Go down
dbriviera
dbriviera

PostSubject: Re: Pictures of Stereo Installs   Pictures of Stereo Installs - Page 5 EmptySat Jan 23, 2021 4:35 am

Personally I find the big screen goes well with the giant printing on the gauges. Just from the giant printing on the gauges alone it's obvious to me that these cars were built for people that maybe had not the best Vision anymore but I like the printing the big fonts. Fortunately my vision is still pretty good.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pictures of Stereo Installs   Pictures of Stereo Installs - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Pictures of Stereo Installs
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next