Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

New Riv Owner. I just purchased a 1995 Riv and love it.

Go down 
+11
SuperRiv07
AA
99Rivman
jamie
jimmyriv
T Riley
Ridin-Rivi
Mr.Riviera
deekster_caddy
IBx1
djlorenzana
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
djlorenzana
djlorenzana

Name : Diego
Merit : 0

New Riv Owner. I just purchased a 1995 Riv and love it. Empty
PostSubject: New Riv Owner. I just purchased a 1995 Riv and love it.   New Riv Owner. I just purchased a 1995 Riv and love it. EmptyFri Sep 26, 2008 1:37 am

Hi all, I am new to this forum. Obviously... But anyways, I just purchased a 1995 Riv I was primaraly a Pontiac fan since I do own a 68 Firebird and then got into a 95 RX7 and then decided to purchase a 74 fiat spider... So I have varied taste in cars as you can see... But then recently I saw a 96 Riv that a friend had and I liked it. I thought to myself wow that car looks great. But I had no idea about them, then I saw that it was supercharged and that peaked my interest further... so I decided to get one for myself. I went on the hunt and convinced my loving wife that I needed a commuter (wink) and had her help me search... Well we went to see quite a few Rivs none worth the amount that was being asked in m humble opinion... but then my wife found a sentra and she stated well it is at a good price in good shape, and if a commuter is what you want??? I almost blew a gasket! But no, I kept my cool and said let's sleep on it. the following day I got a call from a man that offered me a 1995 always garaged 65k original mile supercharged Riv in great condition and that he was selling as he purchased his wife a new car and they did not have space for it in the garage (heard that story before I thought) but none the less I dragged my wife out to see it in Arizona heat and quite far from our house... I fell in love again (with a car and my wife) it is a light blue (not sure on color codes yet) all leather with every extra except for the sunroof. This ride is clean but could not say that out loud (negotiating mode) The gentleman was honest about his description and I was impressed but it was priced higher than the sentra so here was my dilema I convinced the gentleman to bring the price down to 100 bucks less than the sentra (700) under asking price and we struck the deal (after some dealings with the misus) my wife saw the twinkle in my eye and said "that was the look I was waiting to see!" she made my day! I pulled away in my new ride and went to show it to my buddy he was floored by the condition of the Riv and the price!!! He told me I was a thief (I agreed). I am very happy and hope to be quite active I am sure I will have tons of questions and thank you all in advance for your patience and help... I guess I have rambled enough I will post pics soon... I want to buff her out and make her look pretty for her first Photo Shoot. BTW it continues garaged with my other monsters, yet I am sure she can take care of herself as she is a tiger hiding behind sexy lines and refined bone structure!!!

Action Plan
Replace serpentine Belt
oil change
tune up
tranny service
new tint
buff and shine

If anyone knows where I could get new running lights (next to headlights) they are the only part of the car that looks 13 years old...

And if anyone has any other sugestions or things I should look at or read up on please feel free to post or contact me directly at djlorenzana@gmail.com
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

Name : ILAN
Merit : 69

PostSubject: Re: New Riv Owner. I just purchased a 1995 Riv and love it.   New Riv Owner. I just purchased a 1995 Riv and love it. EmptyFri Sep 26, 2008 6:34 am

Welcome to the guild of the '95! Our 8th gen Rivieras are unique from others due to engines, minor mechanics, and some interior touches. Post some pics soon!

How much did you pay for the Riviera?

Also, by running lights, do you mean the cornering lamps or the orange lamps? The cornering lamps do tend to get very oxidized, and there are a few different solutions. There's a do-it-yourself fix and then there's always the somewhat costly replacement plan.

Good luck, and welcome again!
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: New Riv Owner. I just purchased a 1995 Riv and love it.   New Riv Owner. I just purchased a 1995 Riv and love it. EmptyFri Sep 26, 2008 9:17 am

Welcome to the site! Sounds like quite a find... they are hard to find that way, but it's the best way to find em!
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: New Riv Owner. I just purchased a 1995 Riv and love it.   New Riv Owner. I just purchased a 1995 Riv and love it. EmptyFri Sep 26, 2008 12:56 pm

welcome! hi
as IIan said, there are a few different approaches to the yellowed (aged) cornering lenses. a replacement always looks best , but you can get them pretty clean with some elbow grease and the right cleaner/pad.

Back to top Go down
djlorenzana
djlorenzana

PostSubject: Thaks for the hellos   New Riv Owner. I just purchased a 1995 Riv and love it. EmptyFri Sep 26, 2008 1:00 pm

In response to some of the questions:

I paid 2900.00 Orig asking price of 3600
I was reffering to the cornering lights

I went poking around the forum yesterday a bit and found that it is a common problem and will try the elbow grease first and may buy some new lenses and have a backup pair (shinned)

The more I learn about this ride the more I LIKE IT!!!
Back to top Go down
Ridin-Rivi
Enthusiast
Ridin-Rivi

Name : Darrin

PostSubject: Re: New Riv Owner. I just purchased a 1995 Riv and love it.   New Riv Owner. I just purchased a 1995 Riv and love it. EmptyFri Sep 26, 2008 2:02 pm

Welcome!
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: New Riv Owner. I just purchased a 1995 Riv and love it.   New Riv Owner. I just purchased a 1995 Riv and love it. EmptyFri Sep 26, 2008 2:07 pm

WELCOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
jimmyriv
Junkie
jimmyriv

Name : James
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Re: New Riv Owner. I just purchased a 1995 Riv and love it.   New Riv Owner. I just purchased a 1995 Riv and love it. EmptyFri Sep 26, 2008 3:06 pm

Welcome to the site Diego!
Sounds like quite a find, post some pics when you can! cheers
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/jimmyriv
jamie
Fanatic
jamie

Name : Jamie
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: New Riv Owner. I just purchased a 1995 Riv and love it.   New Riv Owner. I just purchased a 1995 Riv and love it. EmptyFri Sep 26, 2008 3:11 pm

Welcome!
Back to top Go down
http://www.vancehanesautoparts.com
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

Name : Randall
Merit : 89

PostSubject: Re: New Riv Owner. I just purchased a 1995 Riv and love it.   New Riv Owner. I just purchased a 1995 Riv and love it. EmptyFri Sep 26, 2008 4:46 pm

Welcome to the Forum thumbsup

deekster_caddy wrote:
Sounds like quite a find... they are hard to find that way, but it's the best way to find em!
agree
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/99Rivman
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: New Riv Owner. I just purchased a 1995 Riv and love it.   New Riv Owner. I just purchased a 1995 Riv and love it. EmptyFri Sep 26, 2008 5:05 pm

Welcome, Diego! Please post up some pictures when you get a chance.. we'd love to see your new ride!

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
SuperRiv07
Addict
SuperRiv07

Name : Nick
Location : Brookfield, And If everything goes right A Nice big house in Bolingbrook with a big GARAGE

PostSubject: Re: New Riv Owner. I just purchased a 1995 Riv and love it.   New Riv Owner. I just purchased a 1995 Riv and love it. EmptyFri Sep 26, 2008 5:16 pm

Welcome Diego And cant wait to see some pics
Back to top Go down
http://www.Chitownracing.com
1wickedninja
Addict
1wickedninja

Name : Josh
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: New Riv Owner. I just purchased a 1995 Riv and love it.   New Riv Owner. I just purchased a 1995 Riv and love it. EmptyFri Sep 26, 2008 7:23 pm

welcome to the forum and good luck with your new riv!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/1wickedninja
djlorenzana
djlorenzana

PostSubject: Exterior!!!   New Riv Owner. I just purchased a 1995 Riv and love it. EmptyMon Sep 29, 2008 1:11 am

Finally I think I got the hang of this sorry for the delay this is My Son Introducing my current ride and one of his future rides *when he turns 16 if and when he is responsible and at the total descretion of his father ME!!! have to put in the fine print you know kids may take this as a written contract and then you never know HAHAHAHAHAHA
New Riv Owner. I just purchased a 1995 Riv and love it. Dscn2711
New Riv Owner. I just purchased a 1995 Riv and love it. Dscn2710
New Riv Owner. I just purchased a 1995 Riv and love it. Dscn2712
New Riv Owner. I just purchased a 1995 Riv and love it. Dscn2713
New Riv Owner. I just purchased a 1995 Riv and love it. Dscn2714
New Riv Owner. I just purchased a 1995 Riv and love it. Dscn2715
Back to top Go down
djlorenzana
djlorenzana

PostSubject: Degreased and Siliconed engine!   New Riv Owner. I just purchased a 1995 Riv and love it. EmptyMon Sep 29, 2008 1:12 am

Hey guys I am sure you guys already do this or may think it is not a good thing to do but I used to live in Central america where salt is in the very humid air and we used to Silicone our engines in order to water proof them as storms down there would flood the streets quite often and if no silicone treatment and water got to plugs and other electrical compontes car would go caput... so I always degrease then silicone treat the engine it also makes it look really nice with little effort...

New Riv Owner. I just purchased a 1995 Riv and love it. Dscn2716
New Riv Owner. I just purchased a 1995 Riv and love it. Dscn2717
New Riv Owner. I just purchased a 1995 Riv and love it. Dscn2718
New Riv Owner. I just purchased a 1995 Riv and love it. Dscn2719
Back to top Go down
djlorenzana
djlorenzana

PostSubject: Interior and Dash!!! still need to take pics of BS   New Riv Owner. I just purchased a 1995 Riv and love it. EmptyMon Sep 29, 2008 1:15 am

Here is what I did on the interior.
I recently purchased leather sofas for my new house and they sold me on a protection plan and give me a free supply of leather cleaner and conditioner I have first tried on my sofas then when I saw the finish I though it ok to use on the interior of the car it states to treat leather minimum of once every quarter (3 months) I figure every 15 days or so due to the additional outside temps in AZ as the stuff is free (just the gas to pick it up) will use the hell out of it! Still need to take pics of Back Seats but the baby chair was in there today and that does not look cool...........

New Riv Owner. I just purchased a 1995 Riv and love it. Dscn2720
New Riv Owner. I just purchased a 1995 Riv and love it. Dscn2721
New Riv Owner. I just purchased a 1995 Riv and love it. Dscn2724
New Riv Owner. I just purchased a 1995 Riv and love it. Dscn2727
New Riv Owner. I just purchased a 1995 Riv and love it. Dscn2728
New Riv Owner. I just purchased a 1995 Riv and love it. Dscn2729
New Riv Owner. I just purchased a 1995 Riv and love it. Dscn2730
Back to top Go down
djlorenzana
djlorenzana

PostSubject: Re: New Riv Owner. I just purchased a 1995 Riv and love it.   New Riv Owner. I just purchased a 1995 Riv and love it. EmptyMon Sep 29, 2008 1:23 am

Let me know what you guys think was it a good buy I thin it is but I like to get the feedback for more experienced Riv owners. I still need to change serpentine belts got them over the weekend but wife had many honey doos for me so will get to it next week. I got a chance to detail the Riv and give her some attention... the one thing that scared me today is that i reclined the seat all the way back and then the motor gave out on me!!! I thought great now my wife is going to give me hasle "if you would have gotten the sentra" but after a bit the motor kicked back in little bits so have it back to where I like it not going to touch until I can take a looksy may need to take apart and clean or do a bit of repair or just bite the bullet and get a new motor... but I think i can repair it....
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: New Riv Owner. I just purchased a 1995 Riv and love it.   New Riv Owner. I just purchased a 1995 Riv and love it. EmptyMon Sep 29, 2008 7:11 am

I think it is normal operation when you recline, that when it is nearly all the way back, it sort of "releases" from the motor engagement. Mine does this, surprised the heck out of me, when it was suddenly just loose all the way back. But the motor does engage and bring it back forward when you hold the switch forward, with a little hesitation though. Is that what you experienced?
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

Name : ILAN
Merit : 69

PostSubject: Re: New Riv Owner. I just purchased a 1995 Riv and love it.   New Riv Owner. I just purchased a 1995 Riv and love it. EmptyMon Sep 29, 2008 8:08 am

Nice, the interior almost looks a 2-tone blue! And yeah, this happens with the recliner motor in our cars. No problems, and there will be some slight hesitation when you come back up.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: New Riv Owner. I just purchased a 1995 Riv and love it.   New Riv Owner. I just purchased a 1995 Riv and love it. EmptyMon Sep 29, 2008 9:16 am

djlorenzana wrote:
Hey guys I am sure you guys already do this or may think it is not a good thing to do but I used to live in Central america where salt is in the very humid air and we used to Silicone our engines in order to water proof them as storms down there would flood the streets quite often and if no silicone treatment and water got to plugs and other electrical compontes car would go caput... so I always degrease then silicone treat the engine it also makes it look really nice with little effort...

What do you mean, just hose things down with a Silicon spray? Interesting idea. I can see where it would have anti-moisture benefits, but I'd be worried about buildup too. Not only salt, but lots of sand is also a part of a northern winter... I think the sand would stick to the silicone?
Back to top Go down
djlorenzana
djlorenzana

PostSubject: Re: New Riv Owner. I just purchased a 1995 Riv and love it.   New Riv Owner. I just purchased a 1995 Riv and love it. EmptyMon Sep 29, 2008 12:59 pm

The sand may stick but easier to clean off than with soot... think of it like a nonstick frying pan that is teflon coated... this ensures that you do not get the soot build up and if you spray with water or steam it cleans up as good as new without the degrease and a ton of water...it will also prevent oil and other grime from caking in and or burning in...
Back to top Go down
djlorenzana
djlorenzana

PostSubject: Re: New Riv Owner. I just purchased a 1995 Riv and love it.   New Riv Owner. I just purchased a 1995 Riv and love it. EmptyMon Sep 29, 2008 5:36 pm

here are some pics of 2 Rivs after some waxing...

New Riv Owner. I just purchased a 1995 Riv and love it. Img_1010
New Riv Owner. I just purchased a 1995 Riv and love it. Img_1011
New Riv Owner. I just purchased a 1995 Riv and love it. Img_1012
New Riv Owner. I just purchased a 1995 Riv and love it. Img_1013
New Riv Owner. I just purchased a 1995 Riv and love it. Img_1014
Back to top Go down
djlorenzana
djlorenzana

PostSubject: Re: New Riv Owner. I just purchased a 1995 Riv and love it.   New Riv Owner. I just purchased a 1995 Riv and love it. EmptyMon Sep 29, 2008 5:37 pm

pic quality low but not my camera my buddy took these at his house after we waxed them both... I will try to take some pics of both together with my camera ...
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: New Riv Owner. I just purchased a 1995 Riv and love it.   New Riv Owner. I just purchased a 1995 Riv and love it. EmptyMon Sep 29, 2008 5:57 pm

Hey Diego, Welcome!
I noticed your car has a dash cover. My car windshield has a lot of glare from the dashboard when the sun hits it. (NO I do not use ArmorAll or any other shiny product on dash.)
Have you noticed windshield glare or does that dash mat prevent glare?
Does anyone else experience this problem. It is very noticeable and dangerous in my car. The interior is tan color, but the dash is a darker color. I was told by someone to use an even darker color to prevent glare. Any input?
Rick
Back to top Go down
djlorenzana
djlorenzana

PostSubject: Re: New Riv Owner. I just purchased a 1995 Riv and love it.   New Riv Owner. I just purchased a 1995 Riv and love it. EmptyMon Sep 29, 2008 6:24 pm

I have not noticed any glare... the dash mat came with the car and I am keeping it as it keeps the dash from sun damage and here in Phoenix AZ we have a lot of sun!!! hope this helps...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Riv Owner. I just purchased a 1995 Riv and love it.   New Riv Owner. I just purchased a 1995 Riv and love it. Empty

Back to top Go down

New Riv Owner. I just purchased a 1995 Riv and love it.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next