Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Going a different direction, for now

Go down 
+4
Jack the R
SuperRiv07
T Riley
1998 Riv
8 posters
AuthorMessage
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

Going a different direction, for now Empty
PostSubject: Going a different direction, for now   Going a different direction, for now EmptyFri Sep 26, 2008 3:14 pm

Most of you know I've been running #1 of Rob's 3 custom built stainless 3.5" FW intakes this year. Pretty darn cool, changing from the stock airbox. However, yesterday I made the decision to switch to an underhood 4" short tube with the new 4" K&N filter I have, that no one seems to want to buy.

First off, I'd rather not keep yanking the splash shield for future servicing of the filters. The fasteners are crappy enough already. And the filters don't seem to stay very clean in my FW. I bought a rubber 3.5" id x 4" id TB adapter at Menards, and they had thin-wall sewer pipe fittings that Home Depot does not have. So I got a thin wall 4" 90deg street elbow at Menards for my tube. The female end is about 4 1/4" od going to the TB adapter, and the male end is a 4"od(3 3/4 id) going into my new K&N. It's a very good fit in the space available, and I don't know if a 45deg would allow for the K&N cone to fit. Maybe with a straight style K&N, but not my cone. I doubt my single 4" 90deg on a very short intake tube is much of a restriction, certainly not as much as the smaller and much longer SS intake it replaced.

I had picked up a new oem IAT sensor a while back, and put it to use. I used a 1/2" drill bit to put a mounting hole in the underside of the tube, and manuevered it around to enlarge it enough to fit the BODY of the sensor in the hole. But the sensor has 2 retaining prongs on opposite sides. They will work with this thin-wall fitting. Just used a small drill bit against the sides of the larger hole to create slots to slip those prongs thru. You push it in hard enough then turn the sensor 90 degrees and the prongs hold it WELL. I'm not even going to glue it in. The stock sensor cable reaches just fine.

I didn't take any pics yet, but will if anyone wants to see it. I left the elbow white so far, maybe I'll paint it next spring. Or just wrap it in heat reflective tape, like I did with the SS intake tube. Speaking of which, I need to decide if I should sell it, or maybe run it in the summer for slightly cooler intake temps.
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: Going a different direction, for now   Going a different direction, for now EmptyFri Sep 26, 2008 3:18 pm

Sounds INTENSE!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: Going a different direction, for now   Going a different direction, for now EmptyFri Sep 26, 2008 3:43 pm

Going a different direction, for now IMG_0842
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: Going a different direction, for now   Going a different direction, for now EmptyFri Sep 26, 2008 3:44 pm

Going a different direction, for now IMG_0844
Back to top Go down
SuperRiv07
Addict
SuperRiv07

Name : Nick
Location : Brookfield, And If everything goes right A Nice big house in Bolingbrook with a big GARAGE
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Going a different direction, for now   Going a different direction, for now EmptyFri Sep 26, 2008 5:26 pm

nice
Back to top Go down
http://www.Chitownracing.com
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: Going a different direction, for now   Going a different direction, for now EmptyFri Sep 26, 2008 5:47 pm

nice i had one similar to that but changed it to a chrome stainless 4 inch one
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: Going a different direction, for now   Going a different direction, for now EmptyFri Sep 26, 2008 7:55 pm

Kinda works with the body color of the car.

Seems like you'd be pulling in tons of hot air.
Back to top Go down
SuperRiv07
Addict
SuperRiv07

Name : Nick
Location : Brookfield, And If everything goes right A Nice big house in Bolingbrook with a big GARAGE
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Going a different direction, for now   Going a different direction, for now EmptyFri Sep 26, 2008 8:04 pm

yeah hot air no good
Back to top Go down
http://www.Chitownracing.com
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: Going a different direction, for now   Going a different direction, for now EmptySat Sep 27, 2008 5:18 pm

DUDES, there's NO hot air in ND from Oct to April... 60's today. Next spring I'll probably just run the gutted airbox with drop-in K&N. I had been tempted to find a shop to cut off the smaller opening at the end of the SS tube, and weld on a 3.5 to 4 adapter in order to use my 4" K&N instead. Not gonna happen though, since I've decided not to screw around with the fenderwell anymore.

I'm thinking about backing off a bit on my mods, but haven't made any firm decisions yet. This stuff is taking too much of my little free time away from my Real Toy, the 68 GS.
Back to top Go down
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

Name : Bert
Merit : 32

PostSubject: Re: Going a different direction, for now   Going a different direction, for now EmptySat Sep 27, 2008 5:33 pm

1998 Riv wrote:
DUDES, there's NO hot air in ND from Oct to April... 60's today. Next spring I'll probably just run the gutted airbox with drop-in K&N. I had been tempted to find a shop to cut off the smaller opening at the end of the SS tube, and weld on a 3.5 to 4 adapter in order to use my 4" K&N instead. Not gonna happen though, since I've decided not to screw around with the fenderwell anymore.

I'm thinking about backing off a bit on my mods, but haven't made any firm decisions yet. This stuff is taking too much of my little free time away from my Real Toy, the 68 GS.

Good point about the cold air in SD.

Thats why I got rid of my 87GN, I did not have time for it and the GS455 and the rest of the fleet and the yard and the yaddayaddayada...

I figure eventually I will end up with the Riv and then I might mod it up...

Bert tavis

Bert
Back to top Go down
98riv

Merit : 30

PostSubject: Re: Going a different direction, for now   Going a different direction, for now EmptySat Sep 27, 2008 5:37 pm

That looks similar to mine. If you cut part of the end off the pipe by the throttle body and maybe extend the pipe a little bit, you should be able to get the filter tucked back into the stock location.

Last edited by 98riv on Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Going a different direction, for now   Going a different direction, for now EmptySat Sep 27, 2008 5:37 pm

Might be a cool experiment to record IAT values at say 50F, then build an enclosure around that filter, like a custom cold air box in the spring. That would isolate the intake from heat, and would keep it clean.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: Going a different direction, for now   Going a different direction, for now EmptySat Sep 27, 2008 5:52 pm

I'm actually quite happy with it as-is, a simple one piece elbow. Not really enough material there to shorten the TB end. I really wanted to try a 45deg elbow, but couldn't find one in the thin-wall fittings.

My IAT's yesterday seemed to run about 10deg higher than the FWI.
Back to top Go down
Chicken
Aficionado
Chicken

Name : Mark
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Re: Going a different direction, for now   Going a different direction, for now EmptySun Sep 28, 2008 1:03 pm

Could someone ask Dave if that really is an Intense STB?
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: Going a different direction, for now   Going a different direction, for now EmptySun Sep 28, 2008 1:15 pm

Yes, it's pretty damn INTENSE! lol

And my quarter glasses and tail lights are made by ZZP... smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Going a different direction, for now   Going a different direction, for now Empty

Back to top Go down

Going a different direction, for now
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riv Performance ::   Supercharged 3800 Tech :: Series II Engine & Transmission-
Jump to: