Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

FAQ: Power Window Problems

Go down 
+44
96rivie
ghpcnm
DEMonte1997
manofmany
LARRY70GS
Mr.Riviera
ZEP
Jayrydingslab
Chuckly
kcc001
bigdave
nebstewart07
Eldo
Hometown Hero
Abaddon
98riv
flyineagle96
Northeast
robotennis61
BMD
florence_x
3.8 Riviera
playa
woggy
riv_problems96
Matt08_hcm
1995 Riv
Rickw
albertj
54_nailhead
BrokenDownInTheYard
rivman96
1998 Riv
deekster_caddy
Shintsu
TonySmooth89
¤DoughBoy¤
AA
ibmoses
'96reese
Jason
SpaceBar
Jack the R
L67
48 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
AuthorMessage
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

Name : Rick
Merit : 37

FAQ: Power Window Problems - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Window Problems   FAQ: Power Window Problems - Page 6 EmptyMon Aug 27, 2012 11:12 pm

I got it on ebay. For $35 shipped. Very nice looking part. Tough to come by window parts on the driver side whether they are switches, regulators or whatnot. frown
Back to top Go down
rivi95era
Enthusiast
rivi95era

Name : Marc
Merit : 0

PostSubject: 95 riv power window problems   FAQ: Power Window Problems - Page 6 EmptyWed May 21, 2014 8:41 am

OK first off I have searched and found little that pertains to my problem(s) particularly.
Thanks in advance for any opinions.

The power windows and sunroof and auto door lock feature stop
working at the same time. Is not something that is intermittent like a ground broken. Tried
wiggling relays and ground wires. I cant find anything that puts those two circuits together
because the door locks will operate manually with the button just not when you put the trans in gear or park.
I have this problem after driving for a little while. They just die. No windows, sunroof or auto locks.
If you leave the car sit, key off key out, they will eventually start to work again, for now. A wiring diagram
may help, not sure.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Window Problems   FAQ: Power Window Problems - Page 6 EmptyWed May 21, 2014 9:49 am

There should be a Power Window/Sun Roof Circuit Breaker in the Left Junction (Fuse) block under the rear seat. It's labeled PWR WDO/SUN RF. It's a 25A Breaker, NOT a fuse. It's probably heating up and breaking the entire circuit. Chances are, it's going bad. I think you can buy one at the Auto Parts store quite cheaply. I'd start there.....
Back to top Go down
rivi95era
Enthusiast
rivi95era

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Window Problems   FAQ: Power Window Problems - Page 6 EmptyWed May 21, 2014 10:35 am

10-4, I was wondering about that possibility. I have access to some, mixed variety, maybe I'll have one. The other symptom though, the auto door lock quitting at the same time, are they related? I have a 97 Le sabre and the windows quit in it but it was very touch and go, I found the relay under the dash to have a worn out base for the relay, that ones been fixed for over a year now, but I do realize they are very different creatures. Thanks a bunch, Ill update later when I have a chance to see if that works or not.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Window Problems   FAQ: Power Window Problems - Page 6 EmptyWed May 21, 2014 11:02 am

My schematics are limited on our cars. I can only look up certain things. I can't for the life of me find the Power Door Lock schematics. I can find Express Down, Remote Function Door Lock (Key FOB), and other oddities like that. I want to look at the whole thing dammit lol.

I noticed that the PWR WNDW breaker goes to Retained Accessory Power as well, but I can't find that one either  neutral 
Back to top Go down
rivi95era
Enthusiast
rivi95era

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Window Problems   FAQ: Power Window Problems - Page 6 EmptyWed May 21, 2014 11:52 am

Thanks a ton for looking, I will say that the radio continues to play until you open the door, even when you have to hit the button to unlock the door. So I am guessing that it must be a separate circuit, like if you have the button in the glove box off, you can still open the truck with the remote.  scratch  scratch 
Is there some sort ob bcm or gem that ties everything together? I know this thing has like five different modules behind the glove box, only one of which I know its purpose. Pcm and thats only because I had to change it lol  bonk
Back to top Go down
rivi95era
Enthusiast
rivi95era

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Window Problems   FAQ: Power Window Problems - Page 6 EmptyFri May 23, 2014 8:39 am

*update*

I may have got it fixed thanks to Abaddon, I swapped the circuit breaker out for another one I had and for now seems to be working. It was funny though I swapped the breaker out with the car running to see if I had an immediate fix and the windows did start working right away but it took a few minutes for the auto locks to come back.
Back to top Go down
rivi95era
Enthusiast
rivi95era

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Window Problems   FAQ: Power Window Problems - Page 6 EmptyFri May 23, 2014 2:10 pm

Well the circuit breaker didn't fix it. On to the next I guess
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Window Problems   FAQ: Power Window Problems - Page 6 EmptyFri May 23, 2014 2:44 pm

Is there a window motor or something "stuck" in the up position because of a bad switch? If you roll the window down, will it go up on it's own?

Will the locks unlock or lock themselves after using the button?

It sounds to me like something is heating up the breaker and shutting it down temporarily until you shut the car off.

I don't know. Just throwing it out there.
Back to top Go down
rivi95era
Enthusiast
rivi95era

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Window Problems   FAQ: Power Window Problems - Page 6 EmptyFri May 23, 2014 4:13 pm

The window motors are in good condition as well as the regulators. The windows move up and The power locks work fine with the button. Now what I noticed earlier after the car sat in the sun/ heat the windows didnt work off rip, auto locks too. Then after about ten minutes, cause I was changing the MAF then the windows and locks started working. I think now that its in the fuse boxes somewhere. Either a relay or wiring or something. I hope to figure it out soon.
Back to top Go down
Rivillac
Enthusiast
Rivillac

Name : Kevin
Merit : 13

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Window Problems   FAQ: Power Window Problems - Page 6 EmptyFri May 23, 2014 8:26 pm

rivi95era wrote:
Now what I noticed earlier after the car sat in the sun/ heat the windows didnt work off rip, auto locks too. Then after about ten minutes, cause I was changing the MAF then the windows and locks started working. I think now that its in the fuse boxes somewhere. Either a relay or wiring or something. I hope to figure it out soon.

FWIW my power windows have had the same symptom before, and it seems to be directly related to the sun/heat.  Sometimes on a hot day when I come out to my car after work, the window on the sunny side will not work.  By the time I get home (20 mins) it will be functioning. I always just attributed it to an overheated CB or relay.  This seems to be isolated to the sunny side of the car (sounds like a song title!), however you may be on to something thinking it's heat related .
Back to top Go down
rivi95era
Enthusiast
rivi95era

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Window Problems   FAQ: Power Window Problems - Page 6 EmptyMon May 26, 2014 9:05 am

I just noticed that the posting got moved, lol. I was like wow look at all the replies.  joy Then I realized, and prolly for the better, that it had been moved to a more traveled thread. Anyway, Short of pulling all of the interior out I'm kinda short of options on where to look. Surely even if it is heat related there has to be something I can FIX because if not then every car with power windows would have problems in the heat. Ya dig? ? 
Back to top Go down
my95riv
Special
my95riv

Name : David Lentz

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Window Problems   FAQ: Power Window Problems - Page 6 EmptyFri Sep 12, 2014 12:04 pm

I went crazy trying to figure out why my right side window would go Down but wouldn't go Up. It took me a week tracing wires and finally found A crack wire coming out of the left side door. I had to take the wire harness out of the left side door and pull the boot off it was a beige brownish wire and it was a thick wire all the other wires were thin. Apparently using the Driver side door over the years breaks the wire. If anybody has the same problem that the right side door window Will go down but it will not go up, I would check that wire. I wish I knew this before I spend a week on it. And I spent 90+ dollars on the right window switch I have the old one that works if anybody needs one.
Back to top Go down
http://professionalkarate.com
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Window Problems   FAQ: Power Window Problems - Page 6 EmptyFri Sep 12, 2014 12:22 pm

It IS posted on here somewhere about broken wires inside the passthrough boot. Just have to find it....
Back to top Go down
rivi95era
Enthusiast
rivi95era

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Window Problems   FAQ: Power Window Problems - Page 6 EmptyMon Sep 15, 2014 2:44 pm

The actual reason for the intermittent window function was, in my case, the pins inside the fuse box losing connection. Pushing the pins together where the circuit breaker is has corrected the issue.
Back to top Go down
unteir
Rookie
unteir

Name : Josh

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Window Problems   FAQ: Power Window Problems - Page 6 EmptySat May 02, 2015 4:25 pm

Okay guys I've read this thread twice over but I'm gonna ask anyway. 2 weeks ago my master switch died and my drivers side window wouldn't work. Bought a used one off eBay and worked flawlessly and quickly for almost a week. This morning it was working fine but when I left work my window wouldn't go down. I can hear something clicking when I press the button but nothing happens. Tomorrow I'm going to run power through the motor and see if it moves but I don't think that's the problem because of how fast it operated after installing the switch. Haven't checked the boot in the door yet for a broken ground (not sure him to get it off without damaging it) also I still have door lock control and passenger window control from the master switch. Think that used switch I bought just crapped out or something else?........
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Window Problems   FAQ: Power Window Problems - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

FAQ: Power Window Problems
Page 6 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6