Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

fuel line leak - great

Go down 
+8
Shintsu
jimmytullip
1996RIV CALI
BillBoost37
TonySmooth89
AA
98riv
96rivgirlla
12 posters
AuthorMessage
96rivgirlla
Amateur

Name : magen
Merit : 0

fuel line leak - great Empty
PostSubject: fuel line leak - great   fuel line leak - great EmptyTue Sep 30, 2008 10:39 pm

so i tried to start the 96 sc riv today (w/ oil in it) to see if we could diagnose exact problem by the noise. as soon as i tried to start it, a small spray of fuel starting coming out of the fuel line right where it connects to the metal piece (are those the fuel injectors?) at the engine. I think im gonna get a rubber goodyear hose and clamps for now, but wanted to ask what you guys thought about rubber hoses and if there is a certain lenth and diameter i need... also, are there any write ups on how to replace those? do you need any special tools for the job? I just don't want to blow up smile
Back to top Go down
98riv

Merit : 30

PostSubject: Re: fuel line leak - great   fuel line leak - great EmptyTue Sep 30, 2008 11:25 pm

Can you post a picture on exactly where the fuel is coming out? It may be as simple as changing the O-rings or you might need a new fuel line or fuel rail.

Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: fuel line leak - great   fuel line leak - great EmptyTue Sep 30, 2008 11:42 pm

don't try to fix this yourself. Take the car in to a mechanic. DO NOT DRIVE THE CAR!

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
TonySmooth89
Aficionado
TonySmooth89

Name : Anthony
Merit : 16

PostSubject: Re: fuel line leak - great   fuel line leak - great EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 12:36 am

AA wrote:
don't try to fix this yourself. Take the car in to a mechanic. DO NOT DRIVE THE CAR!

agree

Don't take chances with things like that , unless you have plenty of experience. If you plan on doing extreme modding it might not be a bad time to upgrade to fuel rails with stainless lines , or even stainless lines if you like the look. Otherwise just take it to a mechanic and get the o-ring replaced. Personally i got whole new OEM lines when i got mine done as after 12 years and 80k miles i figured it would be decent insurance.
Back to top Go down
BillBoost37
Junkie

Merit : 26

PostSubject: Re: fuel line leak - great   fuel line leak - great EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 7:16 am

If it's the fuel line, there are a couple different ways to go about it.

I personally have had bad luck with the dorman dual barbed fix it kit.

Had great luck with doing my own though. https://rivperformance.editboard.com/series-ii-engine-transmission-f4/write-up-ss-braided-fuel-lines-t3086.htm?highlight=fuel
Back to top Go down
96rivgirlla
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: fuel line leak - great   fuel line leak - great EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 10:15 am

car doesnt work anyway, so i will not be driving. and don't have a digital cam to post a pic of where it is..... in billboost's write up on braided fuel lines it is the second pic of the black curved fuel line - right before the metal pc. connects to the plastic line is where it is leaking from. I'm not sure i want the mechanic to do it because i would have to have it towed and all that... i think the write up will help, ill just be using either rubber or oem lines instead of the stainless steel. they do look nice, but im not ready for that mod yet
Back to top Go down
BillBoost37
Junkie

Merit : 26

PostSubject: Re: fuel line leak - great   fuel line leak - great EmptyThu Oct 02, 2008 10:32 am

On a Regal I picked up it was leaking. Got 4 fuel injection clamps and about 3 feet of fuel injection line. Worked fine. Make sure you leave some slack somewhere for engine flex/movement and you should be all set.
Back to top Go down
96rivgirlla
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: fuel line leak - great   fuel line leak - great EmptyThu Oct 02, 2008 2:05 pm

Thanks! is there a website where i can get all that from, or would they have it at autozone or pepboys?
Back to top Go down
1996RIV CALI
Amateur
1996RIV CALI

PostSubject: Re: fuel line leak - great   fuel line leak - great EmptyThu Oct 02, 2008 2:27 pm

My 96 riv was leaking just under the engine cover , i think it was right were the fuel lines went into the motor. went to the shop and mechanic said there is kit you can buy to fix it, got my at PEP BOYS for like twenty or thrity buck, it work just fine. I have it checked every time i get my oil changed.
Back to top Go down
jimmytullip
Amateur
jimmytullip

Name : James

PostSubject: Re: fuel line leak - great   fuel line leak - great EmptyTue Dec 02, 2008 5:16 pm

I know what this problem is, its the pipe ASM-fuel line. Its a dealer part so head on over. One side snaps on but the other side is a mystery to me. If anybody knows how to remove the other side please post because I have the same problem.[/img]
Back to top Go down
Shintsu
Expert

Name : Shintsu
Merit : -16

PostSubject: Re: fuel line leak - great   fuel line leak - great EmptyTue Dec 02, 2008 5:37 pm

Hmm, if this is the same fuel line I had to replace the part was about $95. We popped the old one off and put the car up on stands and fed it down inbetween the motor. It's metal all the length of the car and plastic at the end under the hood. The plastic had a tiny hole in it and started spraying gas under the hood - easy to tell because there was a very strong gasoline smell. We had to be careful not to bend it but after some shimmying around we got it under there and it's been on the car for I don't know, probably a year and a half to two years now - maybe longer. If this is what you're having a problem with, as long as you've got someone to help you it shouldn't be a problem. Not worth the high labor costs ($250 if I recall correctly).
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: fuel line leak - great   fuel line leak - great EmptyTue Dec 02, 2008 6:32 pm

Yep - the replacement line form the dealer is the way to go - unless you have some time on your hands; you could replace the lines with stainless steel braided. Search theis editboard, there is a post that lists the parts you need to pull this off.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
jimmytullip
Amateur
jimmytullip

Name : James

PostSubject: Re: fuel line leak - great   fuel line leak - great EmptyTue Dec 02, 2008 7:14 pm

Alright I just fixed the problem and I needed a fuel line disconnect tool, got it at auto zone for only $3.49. The Pipe ASM part # is 25604896 list price is $70.00 but I got it on sale for $53.00 from the dealer. This job took me 2 hours but if anyone reads this before hand it should take you no more than 15 minutes. Hope this helped everyone. Enjoy

Jimmytullip
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: fuel line leak - great   fuel line leak - great EmptyTue Dec 02, 2008 7:56 pm

Thanks for the info James.
Back to top Go down
rodrivi
Rookie
rodrivi

Name : Rodg

PostSubject: Re: fuel line leak - great   fuel line leak - great EmptyFri Nov 15, 2013 8:04 am

Ok I have the same problem. I have the connector attach to the line above the supercharger but how do I get the nylon hose to go over the steel fuel line thats by the firewall? anybody
Back to top Go down
IFallsRon
Fanatic

Name : R.L.
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: fuel line leak - great   fuel line leak - great EmptySun Nov 17, 2013 12:12 pm

Mine had a small break at the firewall in the dead of winter. I got two feet of injector rated rubber hose at the part store as a temp fix. I think I cut it off at 18 inches and clamped both ends. The Dorman replacements run $15-20 on Amazon and at most parts stores.
Back to top Go down
rodrivi
Rookie
rodrivi

Name : Rodg

PostSubject: Re: fuel line leak - great   fuel line leak - great EmptySun Nov 17, 2013 8:25 pm

Thanks. I used the injector line too and connected it to the dorman replacement. Fixed it yesterday. Thinking I might change it to ss lines at the beginning of spring.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: fuel line leak - great   fuel line leak - great Empty

Back to top Go down

fuel line leak - great
Page 1 of 1