Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

New Material on Pillars

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
rivparadise
Fanatic
rivparadise

Name : Samuel
Merit : 11

New Material on Pillars Empty
PostSubject: New Material on Pillars   New Material on Pillars EmptyThu Nov 06, 2008 12:15 am

The material on the pillars was coming off so I had the time to take the old shit off and put on some black simulated leather. I used some spray glue and worked the material to the plastic until it hardened. I have a tan interior and wasn't sure how it would look. To my surprise, it looks pretty damn good. I will be able to post some pics on Friday. I'm thinking of Two toning the interior like the California Special Mustang. I would do the headliner and rear pillars in black, the leather pad on the door and parts of the middle console, yet to be determined. Of course it it would be better just because it's not in a Ford. Anyway, I haven't seen any two tones or I haven't looked hard enough!

'happy'
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/theacetomato
rivparadise
Fanatic
rivparadise

PostSubject: Re: New Material on Pillars   New Material on Pillars EmptyTue Feb 03, 2009 1:02 pm

Sorry it took so long to get some pics up.

https://2img.net/h/i567.photobucket.com/albums/ss114/samster777/P1010043.jpg

https://2img.net/h/i567.photobucket.com/albums/ss114/samster777/P1010044.jpg

Last edited by rivparadise on Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: New Material on Pillars   New Material on Pillars EmptyTue Feb 03, 2009 1:33 pm

the only 2-tones you'll probably find are the '97s with tan or taupe interiors; they used a dark dash pad to try to reduce glare.

And that's not really 2-tone like the cali mustang, that's just the dash pad.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
rivparadise
Fanatic
rivparadise

PostSubject: Re: New Material on Pillars   New Material on Pillars EmptyTue Feb 03, 2009 3:02 pm

I've got the darker dash and it almost looks like it has been replaced with the wrong color! I was thinking of taking it out and making it flat black to reduce the glare even more.

'afro'
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: New Material on Pillars   New Material on Pillars EmptyTue Feb 03, 2009 4:38 pm

you can reduce the glare by washing it with Murphy's Oil Soap or equivalent each time you clean - to get the ArmorAll or whatever off but so as to not strip out the plasticizers in the vinyl (so it does not start cracking). It will take some time for this to work. After that a microfiber cloth with a little water sprayed on it is more than enough to get the dust off. Some people use Endust - spray it on a cloth then use the cloth to wipe off the dash - but I am not so sure. The original formual for Endust was mineral spirits and dry cleaning fluid. Not sure what it is now - but whatever it is, I am also not sure if it's appropriate for use on plastic that will set in the sun undergoing UV attack.

On the other hand, oil soap is typically a little potassium hydroxide in vegetable oil, maybe with some fragrance. Home-made oil soaps usualy use more than one kind of oil, I think largely because different vegetable oils have different traces of buffering compounds. Commercial oil soaps use specific buffering (to stabilize) and chelation (to keep dissolved metals in solution, thereby sofenting the water that people use) compunds like EDTA. And unlike a diswashing detergent like Procter and Gamble's Dawn(R), oil soaps are typically not strong enough to strip plasticizers from vinyl.

Riviera dashboards are *supposed* to be a dull matte on top, regardless of color.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
rivparadise
Fanatic
rivparadise

PostSubject: Re: New Material on Pillars   New Material on Pillars EmptyWed Feb 04, 2009 11:27 am

Thanks for the info. I have never used Armor All and I have always just wiped the dash with a microfiber cloth. When I do the glass some of the glass cleaner falls onto the dash but I am always sure to wipe it off right away. As far as the rest of the interior, I use a watered down mixture of multi-purpose cleaner that is very mild. I only use this once in a while. My interior doesn't take that much abuse so I don't need to scrub anything just wipe the dust off! After looking at the material on the pillars yesterday, I think the matte black material would look great on the dash and also wouldn't reflect any light as well. I know someone else did a dash recovering and it turned out great. It may be a great spring project! Thanks again for the info. Peace!

'thumbsup'
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: New Material on Pillars   New Material on Pillars EmptyWed Feb 04, 2009 12:35 pm

You're welcome. Not meant to imply you're using armorall, just mentioned that in case the PO did.

Kiwi saddle soap used per can/label directions is great for the seats.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Material on Pillars   New Material on Pillars Empty

Back to top Go down

New Material on Pillars
Page 1 of 1