Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Just Got the Riv Delivered.....

Go down 
+2
Mr.Riviera
Bushytea
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Bushytea

Name : Mike
Merit : 0

Just Got the Riv Delivered..... Empty
PostSubject: Just Got the Riv Delivered.....   Just Got the Riv Delivered..... EmptySat Nov 08, 2008 5:34 pm

Well the car just got home and I began looking through the car for any hidden treasures and found the original window sticker.

My question is on the window sticker it says of course 1995 Riviera Coupe but in the list of Standard Equipment it says "Engine - 3800 Series II V6"

So would it actually say Series I or did they all have the series II on the tag?
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: Just Got the Riv Delivered.....   Just Got the Riv Delivered..... EmptySat Nov 08, 2008 7:26 pm

the series II was standard equip and was a N/A motor. the 95's has an optional supercharged series I motor.
96 and 97 had series II N/A motors standard, and the series II s/c motors as an option.
in 98 and 99 the series II s/c motor was standard and the only available engine.
hope that answers your question.

Back to top Go down
vendetta
Enthusiast
vendetta

Name : Nick

PostSubject: Re: Just Got the Riv Delivered.....   Just Got the Riv Delivered..... EmptySun Nov 09, 2008 2:40 pm

yup, so you have a non supercharged 3.8L series two engine.

the Series one supercharged engine in 95 only came in a series one. (which is what I got)
Back to top Go down
Bushytea

PostSubject: Re: Just Got the Riv Delivered.....   Just Got the Riv Delivered..... EmptySun Nov 09, 2008 2:52 pm

Well the car is supercharged. I forgot to mention that in the first post.

I have been doing some research with some of the helpful threads on here so I was just confused why they are refered to as Series I with a supercharger yet the window sticker on mine says Series II and it is supercharged.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Just Got the Riv Delivered.....   Just Got the Riv Delivered..... EmptySun Nov 09, 2008 3:18 pm

I would have to say the window sticker is incorrect or for a different vehicle.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Just Got the Riv Delivered.....   Just Got the Riv Delivered..... EmptySun Nov 09, 2008 3:55 pm

What's the 8th character of the VIN?
Back to top Go down
Bushytea

PostSubject: Re: Just Got the Riv Delivered.....   Just Got the Riv Delivered..... EmptySun Nov 09, 2008 4:02 pm

Rickw wrote:
I would have to say the window sticker is incorrect or for a different vehicle.

Well the VIN for on the window sticker matches the VIN on the car and title. Doesnt mean it isn't wrong just that it did belong to this car when it was new.

deekster_caddy wrote:
What's the 8th character of the VIN?

The 8th character in the VIN is the number 1
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: Just Got the Riv Delivered.....   Just Got the Riv Delivered..... EmptySun Nov 09, 2008 4:05 pm

1 should mean a Series II 3800, N/A. It's certainly possible that somebody did a top-end swap and dropped a supercharger on it. Can you take a picture of the engine?
Back to top Go down
Bushytea

PostSubject: Re: Just Got the Riv Delivered.....   Just Got the Riv Delivered..... EmptySun Nov 09, 2008 4:11 pm

Yeah, I can get a picture of it. It does look like a 95 supercharged motor from first sight.

However on the window sticker it does also say supercharged so it came with it from the factory by what the window sticker says.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

PostSubject: Re: Just Got the Riv Delivered.....   Just Got the Riv Delivered..... EmptySun Nov 09, 2008 5:38 pm

i thought 8th vin #
1= s/c
k= n/a

...or was it different for 95's?
anyrate, a picture will clear this up as to what motor you have. maybe you actual have a 96 riv? lol

Back to top Go down
Bushytea

PostSubject: Re: Just Got the Riv Delivered.....   Just Got the Riv Delivered..... EmptySun Nov 09, 2008 6:13 pm

Well I am sure it's a 95 model. The motor does not have the cover over the supercharger and it matches most pics I have found. However is a pic I got from the seller before I bought it.

Just Got the Riv Delivered..... DSCF0684

I thought VIN 1 was for a S/C motor as well.

I am certain the year model of the car just did not know why the window sticker shows series II w supercharger.

Here is a pic of the window sticker:

Just Got the Riv Delivered..... DSCF0237
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

PostSubject: Re: Just Got the Riv Delivered.....   Just Got the Riv Delivered..... EmptySun Nov 09, 2008 6:18 pm

that's right.
series II N/A engine was standard. (left column)
then the s/c was a $1100 option (right column) thus giving you a series one s/c 95 riviera!
congrats again on the buy.

Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: Just Got the Riv Delivered.....   Just Got the Riv Delivered..... EmptySun Nov 09, 2008 6:24 pm

Oh my bad - I just realized the site I was looking at for the VIN ID showed 1 being the L67, which isn't possible on the '95.

A picture will tell us what is there...

A production date of late '95 could make this a '96, which means it should have a SII S/C L67...
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Just Got the Riv Delivered.....   Just Got the Riv Delivered..... EmptySun Nov 09, 2008 6:31 pm

...what is that yellow spaghetti wiring on the left hand (passenger) side?

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Bushytea

PostSubject: Re: Just Got the Riv Delivered.....   Just Got the Riv Delivered..... EmptySun Nov 09, 2008 6:35 pm

Mr.Riviera wrote:
that's right.
series II N/A engine was standard. (left column)
then the s/c was a $1100 option (right column) thus giving you a series one s/c 95 riviera!
congrats again on the buy.

Oh ok, so they just broke it down by what it would have come with standard. That make sense. Guess I was just thinking to hard about it or something lol.

albertj wrote:
...what is that yellow spaghetti wiring on the left hand (passenger) side?

Albertj

I am not sure what it is to be honest. I have not had time today to go and run down where the wires actually go. I do know they go to some pull knob device mounted under the dash but I have no idea what it does yet.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: Just Got the Riv Delivered.....   Just Got the Riv Delivered..... EmptySun Nov 09, 2008 7:01 pm

On the left in the sticker shows the 'standard equipment', which is the N/A SII motor. On the right, lower, shows the option for the supercharged engine.

Spaghetti to pull knob? uh oh... Find out where those wires go!
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Just Got the Riv Delivered.....   Just Got the Riv Delivered..... EmptySun Nov 09, 2008 7:32 pm

my guess is it's to turn on the cooling fans. But that is ONLY a guess.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Just Got the Riv Delivered.....   Just Got the Riv Delivered..... Empty

Back to top Go down

Just Got the Riv Delivered.....
Page 1 of 1