Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Cooling issue

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
cragmor
Amateur

Name : Jerry
Merit : 0

Cooling issue Empty
PostSubject: Cooling issue   Cooling issue EmptyWed Nov 12, 2008 8:53 am

95 SC. I am getting cold air from the heater, coolant tank is full, sscanner says that my temp was 297 degrees today. The needle pegged, then swung back and forth a couple of times, then went to the left, and never moved.
I was thinking thermostat, but I should still get warm air. I know that I do have a leak, and I am thinking it is from the rear head gasket. I think that I just need to get coolant cycling again, but my shop manual does not say how. Not like brakes where there is a bleeder valve.
Any thoughts to the problem, and getting coolant flowing again?
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

Cooling issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cooling issue   Cooling issue EmptyWed Nov 12, 2008 10:44 am

get this fixed ASAP! our engines dont like extreme heat.
it sounds like you dont have any coolant flowing through the engine. is the radiator full? t-stat stuck closed? water pump broken?
take the cap off the radiator, start the car, see if the coolant is moving and see if it starts to build pressure. squeeze the upper hose and listen/feel for the t-stat to open & close.
everything is easy to change except the WP.
also, now would be a good time to upgrade to a 180 stat if you havent already.

Back to top Go down
cragmor
Amateur

Cooling issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cooling issue   Cooling issue EmptyWed Nov 12, 2008 12:19 pm

Figures that I would have multiple problems pop up. First thing I find now is that an idler pulley (lower) that runs the SC, AC and water pump is locked up.
Never replaced one, but is it just the center bolt, or is it an entire bracket? I was just quoted $200 in labor to change it out. I realize it is in the middle of the mess, but if it is just removing the center bolt, swapping the pulley, and torquing it back down again, there is nothing in the way of that.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

Cooling issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cooling issue   Cooling issue EmptyWed Nov 12, 2008 12:34 pm

sorry i dont know the belt routing on the 95's, but if it is seized up due to the bearing then swapping it is pretty easy.
you are not driving the car now right??

Back to top Go down
cragmor
Amateur

Cooling issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cooling issue   Cooling issue EmptyWed Nov 12, 2008 12:45 pm

Nope. It all happened close to work. So the car is sitting at work, and until I can get it fixed, it will not be fired up, idler pulley withstanding. Until I got the cooling fixed it was not moving. Lucky (I guess) for me, the major problems are all linked.
Now, to fix that, then I can work on the leak.
I have to say, I have really learned to hate this Rivi. Not all of them, just this one. Been nothing but a hassle for me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Cooling issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cooling issue   Cooling issue Empty

Back to top Go down

Cooling issue
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riv Performance ::   Supercharged 3800 Tech :: Series I Engine & Transmission-
Jump to: