Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

lights

Go down 
+5
deekster_caddy
vendetta
1998 Riv
albertj
texasfan010
9 posters
AuthorMessage
texasfan010
Enthusiast
texasfan010

Merit : 1

lights Empty
PostSubject: lights   lights EmptySat Nov 15, 2008 12:02 pm

Hey i know this is going to sound stupid, but is there anyway to put low beam bulbs in to replace high beams. Because I have white low beams, but i wanted blue or purple, but my dad doesnt like the colors so i was going to put purple low beams in for my high beams and just drive around with my high beams on.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

lights Empty
PostSubject: Re: lights   lights EmptySat Nov 15, 2008 1:37 pm

It does not sound "stupid" it just sounds inadvisable.

One problem is that high beams is not just about wattage. Standard low beam is 55 watts. It is about the light pattern. If you drive around with 55 watt bulbs in the high beam sockets it's basically the same as driving around with your high beams on because of the light pattern, not just the intensity (wattage). The problem is the high beam pattern shines right into the eyes of drivers of oncoming vehicles. So it is not just your ability to see at night that is a factor here; it is everyone else on the road with you at the time, too.

another problem: As a practical matter I have no idea where to get 55 watt high beam bulbs of any color.

a third problem: you driving around with high beams on, even if they are low wattage, in some jurisdictions is probable cause for a policeman to stop you - and if it is a crooked cop (most are honest) your problems can become crippling if not unsolvable.

So here's your "prize" for reading this far. Instad of changing the headlights, find out whether any of these are legal in your area:

- modifying the cornering lights - you could install those multi-color LEDs in the cornering light housing, then change the colors at will. Cornering lights will still work if you leave 'em in, the colored lights would be separate.

- a 'glow bar' - You could mount surface-mount weatherproof strip of LEDs under the front bumper, make the entire front of the car glow some color or a 7-color selection--this might be legally permissible. My idea is to get these

http://www.oznium.com/silicone-encased-led-strip

or these

http://www.oznium.com/thin-waterproof-ribbon

in the 'million' (or RGB) version with the controller that lets me change color. I'd mount the controller in the armrest compartment or some such.

Hope this helps.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
texasfan010
Enthusiast
texasfan010

lights Empty
PostSubject: Re: lights   lights EmptySat Nov 15, 2008 2:00 pm

what would i have to do to make my cornering lights LEDS?
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

lights Empty
PostSubject: Re: lights   lights EmptySat Nov 15, 2008 3:27 pm

You can use high power LEDs such as these

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?product=CAR&cart_id=7590807.1602

or you can get a set of used cornering assemblies from say Ed Morad and modify them - leave the old socket and bulb alone but separate the lens from the reflector and install those Ozium LED strips on the reflector to light up with the parking lights - dependingon applicable law. You probably don't want them to light up red or blue... Check your local/state regulations. You could really use a Dremel moto-tool and a hot knife for the modifications to those corners.

The problem is that even the high power LEDs are not all that bright and I don't think they are actually street legal - you have to check.

Any other questions?

Albertj
Back to top Go down
texasfan010
Enthusiast
texasfan010

lights Empty
PostSubject: Re: lights   lights EmptyMon Nov 17, 2008 12:39 am

What can I do about my cornering lights without LEDs. Can i buy white or blue bulbs for those?
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

lights Empty
PostSubject: Re: lights   lights EmptyMon Nov 17, 2008 4:14 pm

Are your cornering lamps functional? The housing is there on all the Rivs, but you had to actually order that option for a housing with a hole, and bulb wired up in it. W/O ordering the option, you got a housing with no holes in the back, like mine. smile
Back to top Go down
vendetta
Enthusiast
vendetta

Name : Nick
Merit : 0

lights Empty
PostSubject: Re: lights   lights EmptyMon Nov 17, 2008 4:33 pm

Mine have bulbs in them, I guess mine must have been ordered like that.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

lights Empty
PostSubject: Re: lights   lights EmptyMon Nov 17, 2008 4:38 pm

texasfan010 wrote:
What can I do about my cornering lights without LEDs. Can i buy white or blue bulbs for those?

Find out what bulb is in there (168, 194, 3189, whatever #) and see what the LED replacement is for that bulb number. You should be able to look the OE bulb number up at any auto parts store, and if not just pull your old bulb out and look at the number...
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

lights Empty
PostSubject: Re: lights   lights EmptyMon Nov 17, 2008 5:24 pm

Just bear in mind that most LED replacemetns are not as bright as the incandescents they replace, becasue of reflector issues if nothing else. If you search this edit board for LEDs you wwill find other postings with sites having hi briteness LEDs that might work.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
vendetta
Enthusiast
vendetta

lights Empty
PostSubject: Re: lights   lights EmptyMon Nov 17, 2008 5:43 pm

also, high beams are 9006 and lows are 9005's or sumn like that, they wont plug into one another....
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

lights Empty
PostSubject: Re: lights   lights EmptyMon Nov 17, 2008 6:09 pm

Try LEDLight.com
They have an Automotive catalog that has about anything you could ask for.
I emailed them and they sent a catalog out quick or you can print from their website but it's 62 pages, so i just asked for one and had it in a couple of days.
Back to top Go down
vendetta
Enthusiast
vendetta

lights Empty
PostSubject: Re: lights   lights EmptyMon Nov 17, 2008 6:33 pm

you know if you know what the bulb size is, like by referencing sylvania.com

you can search that bulb size on ebay and i guarantee they have that size in led form.

EDIT:

194 is the bulb size....

here is the ebay search (white, amber, blue, red, green and yellow all come up)

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/items/Parts-Accessories___194_W0QQ_catrefZ1QQ_dmptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQQ_flnZ1QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em282
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

lights Empty
PostSubject: Re: lights   lights EmptyMon Nov 17, 2008 6:48 pm

I believe that any 55W low beam bulb can be modified to fit the high beam socket, and vice versa. This can be accomplished by filing off a small tab either on the socket or the bulb itself.

Why you would want to do this, I'm not sure. High beams are also called "brights" for a reason. I'm not sure the exact wattage for high beams, but I think it's more than the lows. If using 55W bulbs in the high beam sockets, you will have less brightness at need - when you might need it.

Hope this doesn't sound stupid, but aren't the high beams on all the time (at reduced voltage) during the daytime anyway?

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
TonySmooth89
Aficionado
TonySmooth89

Name : Anthony
Merit : 16

lights Empty
PostSubject: Re: lights   lights EmptyMon Nov 17, 2008 6:51 pm

AA wrote:
I believe that any 55W low beam bulb can be modified to fit the high beam socket, and vice versa. This can be accomplished by filing off a small tab either on the socket or the bulb itself.

Why you would want to do this, I'm not sure. High beams are also called "brights" for a reason. I'm not sure the exact wattage for high beams, but I think it's more than the lows. If using 55W bulbs in the high beam sockets, you will have less brightness at need - when you might need it.

Hope this doesn't sound stupid, but aren't the high beams on all the time (at reduced voltage) during the daytime anyway?

I don't think daytime running lamps became standard until 97 IIRC.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

lights Empty
PostSubject: Re: lights   lights EmptyMon Nov 17, 2008 6:53 pm

Oh...I didn't know what year we were talking about. scratch

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
TonySmooth89
Aficionado
TonySmooth89

Name : Anthony
Merit : 16

lights Empty
PostSubject: Re: lights   lights EmptyMon Nov 17, 2008 6:54 pm

AA wrote:
Oh...I didn't know what year we were talking about. scratch

I think he has a 96 but i'm not sure since he didn't put his info in his sig. ( That's a hint!)
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

lights Empty
PostSubject: Re: lights   lights EmptyMon Nov 17, 2008 7:32 pm

The only difference between the 9006(low beam) and 9005(high beam) bulbs is that notch placement on the connector that Aaron mentioned and that the 9006(low beam) has a ceramic coating at the top to prevent light from penetrating that area. The reason for this is that part of the bulb is shaped awkwardly and varies by manufacturer and for that reason it's easier just to block it off than for every car maker to make reflector housings that can deal with the unpredictability of that portion of the bulb. It revolves around meeting DOT standards for cheap as possible. The wattage (or electrical brightness if you will) difference between 9006 and 9005 bulbs is hardly worthy of concern. ~55watts for the 9006 and ~60watts for the 9005.

There's nothing terribly wrong with putting low beam lamps into the high beam housing but you will loose a little intensity and possibly a little beam-span
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

lights Empty
PostSubject: Re: lights   lights EmptyMon Nov 17, 2008 7:38 pm

For what it's worth, many aftermarket low beam lamps are rated well above the 55W spec. My Eurolights are 80W for low beam, The original 10 year old stock bulbs still reside in the high beam sockets. So in my case, the lows are putting out 20W more than the highs, yet the angle of projection is clearly evident at night - the low beams are "low" and bright, the high beams are "high" and almost as bright, but more yellow in color.

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
texasfan010
Enthusiast
texasfan010

lights Empty
PostSubject: Re: lights   lights EmptyMon Nov 17, 2008 10:51 pm

but if i get LEDs what do i have to do to get them to work? I dont think i can just plug them in and have them work because they run less wattage
Back to top Go down
vendetta
Enthusiast
vendetta

lights Empty
PostSubject: Re: lights   lights EmptyTue Nov 18, 2008 9:15 am

texasfan010 wrote:
but if i get LEDs what do i have to do to get them to work? I dont think i can just plug them in and have them work because they run less wattage

if you buy those ones off ebay like I directed you, you can plug them in directly and be fine....
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

lights Empty
PostSubject: Re: lights   lights EmptyTue Nov 18, 2008 12:48 pm

aside to texasfan - LEDs run less wattage because they put out more lumens (light) per watt (power input). The distribution of those lumens out of the light has always been an issue. At some point some gee-knee-huss will figure out that there are simple ways to fix that distribution.

everyone - There are some LED lights that work better than others in certain kinds of reflectors. Have to try them - and the problem is that the current LED lamp makers charge an awful lot for the lamps.

Only problem I sense, really, is that if you are putting LEDs in as front or rear turn signal lights, unless you've also replaced your thermal turn signal flashers with electronic ones (there is one flasher for the turn signals and another for the 4-ways), or installed load balancing resistors then the flash rate will change - and not for the better. It's not a big deal though. Darn near everyone selling auto lamps sells electronic flashers, though - even walmart. You are not likely to need a load balancing resistor if you first reach up behind the dash and replace the flasher(s). The thermal flashers will eventualy wear out anyway...

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

lights Empty
PostSubject: Re: lights   lights Empty

Back to top Go down

lights
Page 1 of 1