Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Instrument Panel Bulb

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Bushytea

Name : Mike
Merit : 0

Instrument Panel Bulb Empty
PostSubject: Instrument Panel Bulb   Instrument Panel Bulb EmptySat Nov 22, 2008 7:54 pm

Well needing to replace one of the intrument panel bulbs but I can not find anything in the area of a PC 118. The PC 118 is the pulb/socket assembly which none of the main autoparts stores seem to carry.

Has anybody used another type of bulb besides buying the entire unit?

This is on a 1995 Riv

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Instrument Panel Bulb   Instrument Panel Bulb EmptySun Nov 23, 2008 1:05 am

the 1995 cluster takes trade #PC195 (GM# 25089350) and trade #80 (GM# 25086961) bulbs, in their respective places. They are around $7.- each from GMPartsDirect.

Also try this:

http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/dashboard-amp-panel-bulbs-12v-c-588.html

try any GM dealer.

Also - I am not familiar with the bulbs - but with some such bulbs the glass part slides out (sometimes not real easily) and it turn out that a common #74 or #194 fits. I'm sure you'll check for this,

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Bushytea

PostSubject: Re: Instrument Panel Bulb   Instrument Panel Bulb EmptySun Nov 23, 2008 1:23 am

Thanks! That will help me get in the right direction.

However I did get some of the #74 bulbs and they do fit into the socket. They are just alittle bigger as far as the circumfrence of the bulb itself.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Instrument Panel Bulb   Instrument Panel Bulb EmptySun Nov 23, 2008 7:29 pm

Different manufacturers' #74 bulbs will have the same bases but the envelope (the bulby part that hods the glowing filament) may vary a little. In some applications this makes no difference and in others it hurts.

So the question is, does the #74 fit and work?

If so, probly the thing to do is get a bunch of them (you may want to try eBay, import/export businesses post them there, yes they are "cheaper by the dozen) and replace all the dash lights at one time. (that way you won't have to tear into it again soon)

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Bushytea

PostSubject: Re: Instrument Panel Bulb   Instrument Panel Bulb EmptyWed Nov 26, 2008 6:49 pm

Thanks for the help.

The #74 bulb was a bit bigger but it does work perfectly fine.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Instrument Panel Bulb   Instrument Panel Bulb EmptyThu Nov 27, 2008 1:27 pm

I trust you went ahead and replaced all the bulbs in the cluster.

Did you have a tough time getting the cluster out past the steering wheel? I was going to replace my cluster bulbs when i did the HVAC control head but since I think I might only have one bulb out I left them alone. I am thinking that if it is not too tuff I'll pull it over Christmas.
Back to top Go down
Bushytea

PostSubject: Re: Instrument Panel Bulb   Instrument Panel Bulb EmptyThu Nov 27, 2008 11:50 pm

Actually it was quite easy to pull it out once unhooked from the 2 wiring harness on the back of the cluster. I did not remove the top of the dash so the hardest part was getting those unplugged as Buick did not give any extra wire to work with.

Once those 2 plugs were unhooked you just have to tilt the steering wheel down and then angle the cluster out. If you remove the plastic column surround it would probably make it easier.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Instrument Panel Bulb   Instrument Panel Bulb Empty

Back to top Go down

Instrument Panel Bulb
Page 1 of 1