Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

FAQ: Power Steering Pump & Hoses - Noise & Problems

Go down 
+23
ecotecjosh
AA
joshuatim
L67
rocafella1
jamie
R1V13RA
robotennis61
ewolfe0050
Eldo
tech408
Mikel
xxsupergman25xx
jordynarz
ibmoses
98RIV7777
albertj
Rickw
manofmany
Mr.Riviera
Shintsu
deekster_caddy
SupersportSteve
27 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

FAQ: Power Steering Pump & Hoses - Noise & Problems - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Steering Pump & Hoses - Noise & Problems   FAQ: Power Steering Pump & Hoses - Noise & Problems - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 18, 2009 4:24 pm

Mikel wrote:
By the way, old pump had no special valving or wires going into it anywhere. Did all 97's have the Magna Steer?

Is the valving in the rack/pinion assembly?

Quite right, Mikel, the Magna-steer function is in the rack. The pump is purely mechanical.

By the way, did you replace the pump or just get a new C-clip for the shaft?
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Steering Pump & Hoses - Noise & Problems   FAQ: Power Steering Pump & Hoses - Noise & Problems - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 18, 2009 4:30 pm

The reason I felt it was contrary to what it should have done is based on the fact that the steering rack with MagnaSteer has to receive current from the PCM/BCM to cause the increased steering effort at speed.
If you disconnect the connector at the rack you eliminate the path for current flow so the steering effort should be easy at all times (constantly boosted pressure from the pump).
Without the current flow to the magnets which provide the resistance on the rack at high speed - I assumed the steering effort would be lighter at all speeds, from idle on up.
The system description and operation is very simple yet it is confusing me regarding the disconnected wiring and steering effort.
Back to top Go down
Mikel
Enthusiast

Name : Mikel
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Steering Pump & Hoses - Noise & Problems   FAQ: Power Steering Pump & Hoses - Noise & Problems - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 18, 2009 4:32 pm

Eldo wrote:
Mikel wrote:
By the way, old pump had no special valving or wires going into it anywhere. Did all 97's have the Magna Steer?

Is the valving in the rack/pinion assembly?

Quite right, Mikel, the Magna-steer function is in the rack. The pump is purely mechanical.

By the way, did you replace the pump or just get a new C-clip for the shaft?

Hello,
I already had a new pump, so I figured it would be a good idea to replace it anyway. I loosed up one motor mount, lifted the engine a bit and the pump came right out, without having to remove anything else.
Mikel
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Steering Pump & Hoses - Noise & Problems   FAQ: Power Steering Pump & Hoses - Noise & Problems - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 18, 2009 4:33 pm

Mikel wrote:
Rickw wrote:
All the Riviera's 95-99 had Magna-Steer as standard equipment.
Yes, All the Magna-Steer components are built into the steering rack. That's what makes them so expensive to replace compared to a non Magna-Steer rack.

I was curious, because my steering is way too soft even at high speeds. Maybe it's that I'm one of them yurropeens and I expect cars to feel a little differently, as much as I love my Riviera tongue

Well I'm a 'murican, and I can tell you that this system is stiffer than traditional American power
steering, but easier to park than newer, but single-mode, systems...

By the way, do you think that it's too soft at highway speeds, or actually too touchy?

GM giveth and GM taketh away, and what I don't like is that when they gave
us the variable boost, they took out the variable ratio... This means that
at high speed, it hardly takes an inch of steering input to change whole lanes nervous
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Steering Pump & Hoses - Noise & Problems   FAQ: Power Steering Pump & Hoses - Noise & Problems - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 18, 2009 4:38 pm

I would much rather have "Variable Ratio" steering. I don't like the highway 'Feel" of this steering either.
Back to top Go down
Mikel
Enthusiast

Name : Mikel
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Steering Pump & Hoses - Noise & Problems   FAQ: Power Steering Pump & Hoses - Noise & Problems - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 18, 2009 4:47 pm

Eldo wrote:
Mikel wrote:
Rickw wrote:
All the Riviera's 95-99 had Magna-Steer as standard equipment.
Yes, All the Magna-Steer components are built into the steering rack. That's what makes them so expensive to replace compared to a non Magna-Steer rack.

I was curious, because my steering is way too soft even at high speeds. Maybe it's that I'm one of them yurropeens and I expect cars to feel a little differently, as much as I love my Riviera tongue

Well I'm a 'murican, and I can tell you that this system is stiffer than traditional American power
steering, but easier to park than newer, but single-mode, systems...

By the way, do you think that it's too soft at highway speeds, or actually too touchy?

GM giveth and GM taketh away, and what I don't like is that when they gave
us the variable boost, they took out the variable ratio... This means that
at high speed, it hardly takes an inch of steering input to change whole lanes nervous

I think you are right and "touchy" is a better term. Which combined with a steering that is softer than what I'm used to, takes a bit to get used to.

It is rather ironic that my pump failed as I drove a friend 150 miles to check out a 98 Riviera - Which he ended up buying. Another convert! cool
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Steering Pump & Hoses - Noise & Problems   FAQ: Power Steering Pump & Hoses - Noise & Problems - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 18, 2009 5:05 pm

Rickw wrote:
The reason I felt it was contrary to what it should have done is based on the fact that the steering rack with MagnaSteer has to receive current from the PCM/BCM to cause the increased steering effort at speed.
If you disconnect the connector at the rack you eliminate the path for current flow so the steering effort should be easy at all times (constantly boosted pressure from the pump).
Without the current flow to the magnets which provide the resistance on the rack at high speed - I assumed the steering effort would be lighter at all speeds, from idle on up.
The system description and operation is very simple yet it is confusing me regarding the disconnected wiring and steering effort.

Ah, I didn't understand exactly where the "contrary" applied... No biggie.

In fact, I retraced some old steps I made when I first got the car, and it turns out that we were both only half right as far as the electronics are concerned. The MS module supplies up to 3 amps positive OR negative, which means that the coils in the rack are both additive and subtractive... Therefore, the 'fail-safe' or purely mechanical boost is probably about half way between parking boost and 100 MPH boost.

And yes, without variable ratio, the 12 o'clock position on the wheel is too damned sensitive at high speeds! I even remember someone on here, months ago, complaining about the highway twitchiness because their new tires were grippier than their old ones.

Maybe I'll see how it feels with the connector unplugged... Can you get at it from above, or do I have to lift the car?
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Steering Pump & Hoses - Noise & Problems   FAQ: Power Steering Pump & Hoses - Noise & Problems - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 18, 2009 5:08 pm

Mikel wrote:

I think you are right and "touchy" is a better term. Which combined with a steering that is softer than what I'm used to, takes a bit to get used to.

It is rather ironic that my pump failed as I drove a friend 150 miles to check out a 98 Riviera - Which he ended up buying. Another convert! cool

Yayyyyyy! Cheers to our new cult-member cheers
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Steering Pump & Hoses - Noise & Problems   FAQ: Power Steering Pump & Hoses - Noise & Problems - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 18, 2009 6:08 pm

Eldo wrote:
Maybe I'll see how it feels with the connector unplugged... Can you get at it from above, or do I have to lift the car?.
I was able to reach it from above, over the fender and thru the woods.
Actually quite easy to get to.
Back to top Go down
xxsupergman25xx
Aficionado
xxsupergman25xx

Name : Scotty
Merit : 13

PostSubject: Power Steering (Series I SC)   FAQ: Power Steering Pump & Hoses - Noise & Problems - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 01, 2010 9:46 am

My power steering went the other day...any idea on the cost?
Back to top Go down
http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/xxsupergman25xx/
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Steering Pump & Hoses - Noise & Problems   FAQ: Power Steering Pump & Hoses - Noise & Problems - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 01, 2010 10:48 am

Pump? Rack? Hose? Magnasteer?
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Steering Pump & Hoses - Noise & Problems   FAQ: Power Steering Pump & Hoses - Noise & Problems - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 01, 2010 11:41 am

i paid $56 at pep boys when mine burned out....its a pain to fix. if its that.......?
Back to top Go down
xxsupergman25xx
Aficionado
xxsupergman25xx

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Steering Pump & Hoses - Noise & Problems   FAQ: Power Steering Pump & Hoses - Noise & Problems - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 01, 2010 1:12 pm

pump
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Steering Pump & Hoses - Noise & Problems   FAQ: Power Steering Pump & Hoses - Noise & Problems - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 01, 2010 2:13 pm

I'm not sure about Series I pumps, but Series II are very cheap. Try car-part.com for inexpensive used, rockauto for reman or new. They seem to have the best pricing.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Steering Pump & Hoses - Noise & Problems   FAQ: Power Steering Pump & Hoses - Noise & Problems - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 01, 2010 3:57 pm

yeah,a pump. its a pain to remove and replace. but jacking the car up,securing it,and working from the top and from the bottom you can get it out fairly quickly. check the seal around the pump where it connects to the engine. if there is weeping then its probably bad. not sure how one would check the rack though? maybe lift the front end and see how difficult it is to move the wheel back and forth with engine off. even if the pump is bad,you can still move the wheel fairly easily.
Back to top Go down
xxsupergman25xx
Aficionado
xxsupergman25xx

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Steering Pump & Hoses - Noise & Problems   FAQ: Power Steering Pump & Hoses - Noise & Problems - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 01, 2010 5:09 pm

i can move the car when i press the gas...if i try and just turn the wheel without acceleration its like glued lol. i know the pump has been bad for a while. they said it was gonna go at any time. im not gonna be doin the work..i use a trusted garage to do work. iono what the hell weeping is lol. it used to whine like crazyyyyyyyy when i turned the wheel.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Steering Pump & Hoses - Noise & Problems   FAQ: Power Steering Pump & Hoses - Noise & Problems - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 01, 2010 5:15 pm

sounds like a bad pump. do it yourself and save a bundle. its not that hard just tedious. get a buddy to help you. it should take no longer than a couple hours to do. all well under a hundred. fluid,maybe new hoses. be very careful with the reservoir. the tits coming off it that the hose connects to,are ultra fragile.
Back to top Go down
xxsupergman25xx
Aficionado
xxsupergman25xx

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Steering Pump & Hoses - Noise & Problems   FAQ: Power Steering Pump & Hoses - Noise & Problems - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 01, 2010 5:18 pm

i dont even change my own oil lol i dont know how to do the work lol im not gifted like that. ask me how to shape ur body im ur guy..but how to fix a car...not ur guy lol i also really dont have any buddies that can fix cars. but thanks for the info
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Steering Pump & Hoses - Noise & Problems   FAQ: Power Steering Pump & Hoses - Noise & Problems - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 01, 2010 5:40 pm

no prob.
Back to top Go down
xxsupergman25xx
Aficionado
xxsupergman25xx

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Steering Pump & Hoses - Noise & Problems   FAQ: Power Steering Pump & Hoses - Noise & Problems - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 08, 2010 6:17 pm

got my steering pump replaced today. 201 bucks. not too bad. it handles SOOOOOOOOO much better its ridiculous lol. turning is sooo easy. my pump must have been bad for a while.
Back to top Go down
R1V13RA
Amateur
R1V13RA

Name : Dino Blak
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Steering Pump & Hoses - Noise & Problems   FAQ: Power Steering Pump & Hoses - Noise & Problems - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 7:45 pm

Can anybody tell me how to use a pulley puller to remove the power steering pump from the pulley...i took the pump off but i cant remove the pulley from it.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Steering Pump & Hoses - Noise & Problems   FAQ: Power Steering Pump & Hoses - Noise & Problems - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 7:54 pm

just wedge a screwdriver behind the pulley. DONT FORCE IT THOUGH! and wiggle it off.a good shot of PB blaster helps a ton
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Steering Pump & Hoses - Noise & Problems   FAQ: Power Steering Pump & Hoses - Noise & Problems - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 10:08 pm

Rent a power steering pulley puller from Autozone if you don't have any luck with that. There's a specific tool for PS pulleys.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Steering Pump & Hoses - Noise & Problems   FAQ: Power Steering Pump & Hoses - Noise & Problems - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 11:30 pm

Or you can buy an inexpensive (made in China) Kit for between $20 and $30.00.
Do Not Use an Impact Gun on the main threaded rod to pull the pulley, you will ruin the tool.
And if you have borrowed or rented one then you will own a damaged tool.
Have seen it done before by my knucklehead brother.
I have found the Chinese one from Harbor Freight to be good for a few uses before the threads start to gall.
If you don't plan on using it much then I guess that's OK. Otherwise you can get a decent puller kit for about $50.00 and up. If you want to buy your own, try Sears - they have good prices with a guarantee.
Back to top Go down
R1V13RA
Amateur
R1V13RA

Name : Dino Blak
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Steering Pump & Hoses - Noise & Problems   FAQ: Power Steering Pump & Hoses - Noise & Problems - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 12, 2010 9:49 am

Thanks for all u guy's help and input...i found the puller @ autozone for $30 and found this http://www.stu-offroad.com/steering/pspump/pspulley-1.htm on the web to figure out how to use it. i got it off, put the new one on and returned the rented puller and got my core....it was pretty easy too...caint wait to get Da Rivi bacc on da road!! smile thanks again guys
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Steering Pump & Hoses - Noise & Problems   FAQ: Power Steering Pump & Hoses - Noise & Problems - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

FAQ: Power Steering Pump & Hoses - Noise & Problems
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next