Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

In door recessed boost gauge for 95 Riviera.

Go down 
+3
TonySmooth89
EASHER
JD94SS
7 posters
AuthorMessage
JD94SS
Amateur

Merit : 1

In door recessed boost gauge for 95 Riviera. Empty
PostSubject: In door recessed boost gauge for 95 Riviera.   In door recessed boost gauge for 95 Riviera. EmptySat Dec 13, 2008 9:18 am

Hey guys, heres are pics ( sorry for the bad quality of the pics), of a cobalt boost gauge that I had laying around and installed it in the door. I removed the chrome bezel, bracket screws and the glass from the gauge itself. Once evertyhing was laid out I made a bracket and did some work for the guage to be mounted to the lower vent in the door. Ran noregen tube through the door jamb and into the cab. Under the kick panel and through to the firewall, where I drilled a hole the exact size of the tube installed a grommet, and Teed into the fuel psi regulator.
After everything was said and done, I found out I was making between 12-13 lbs of boost.
Thanks for looking, let me know what you guys think. I can get some better pics with my dig cam.
In door recessed boost gauge for 95 Riviera. Img1229177076725-1
Again, sorry for the quality of the pic.
Back to top Go down
EASHER
EASHER

Name : ERIK M. ASHER
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: In door recessed boost gauge for 95 Riviera.   In door recessed boost gauge for 95 Riviera. EmptySat Dec 13, 2008 11:18 am

Very nice install.

Can you take pics of exactly where you routed the line and where/how you connected it to the engine?

how did you route the electrical wire?

I want to do the same thing.
Back to top Go down
http://snardfarker.ning.com/profile/ERIKMASHER
TonySmooth89
Aficionado
TonySmooth89

Name : Anthony
Merit : 16

PostSubject: Re: In door recessed boost gauge for 95 Riviera.   In door recessed boost gauge for 95 Riviera. EmptySat Dec 13, 2008 12:39 pm

12-13lbs of boost? That seems a little high. Have you dropped pulley sizes or opened up your intake?
Back to top Go down
1995 Riv
Enthusiast

Name : Don

PostSubject: Re: In door recessed boost gauge for 95 Riviera.   In door recessed boost gauge for 95 Riviera. EmptySat Dec 13, 2008 3:52 pm

What does a boost gauge measure and what does it measure at the fuel regulator; gasoline pressure, engine vacuum, or other? Your install looks great where did you buy the gauge and the price?
Back to top Go down
98riv

Merit : 30

PostSubject: Re: In door recessed boost gauge for 95 Riviera.   In door recessed boost gauge for 95 Riviera. EmptySat Dec 13, 2008 7:27 pm

1995 Riv wrote:
What does a boost gauge measure and what does it measure at the fuel regulator; gasoline pressure, engine vacuum, or other? Your install looks great where did you buy the gauge and the price?

A boost gauge measures the amount of boost that you are producing. Some of them also measure vacuum. It connects to the engine vacuum.

Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: In door recessed boost gauge for 95 Riviera.   In door recessed boost gauge for 95 Riviera. EmptySat Dec 13, 2008 9:21 pm

What is Boost?
Back to top Go down
98riv

Merit : 30

PostSubject: Re: In door recessed boost gauge for 95 Riviera.   In door recessed boost gauge for 95 Riviera. EmptySat Dec 13, 2008 10:32 pm

1995 Riv wrote:
What is Boost?

Assuming you are serious...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boost_gauge

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercharger

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbocharger

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forced_induction

Amateur

PostSubject: Re: In door recessed boost gauge for 95 Riviera.   In door recessed boost gauge for 95 Riviera. EmptySun Dec 14, 2008 9:10 am

Thank you for the comments, they are very appreciated.

What I have done is a smaller pulley, and a cold air kit..
I recevied the gauge when I bought my T-Type. I didnt want to use it in that car, so I bought a VDO for that one and used this one in the Riviera. The gauge is a Autometer Cobalt Blue Boost gauge. http://www.jegs.com/i/Auto+Meter/105/6103/10002/-) It measure up to 30" of vacuum and up to 30 lbs of boost. As far as the electrical aspect, all I did was just solder its power and grounds to the orange and white wire that goes to the doorhandle light, so I can dim the gauge along with the rest of the interior. The gauge is a LED set-up so its electrical demands are not that high.
The noregen tube, I ran from the gauge, into the door, into the rubber snorkel that is between the door. Then exited out into the cabin by the E-brake. I ran it through a hole using a rubber grommet in the the E- Brake bracket where it would not be disturbed if I was to use the E-brake. Then I removed some carpet to expose the plastic housing that goes to the firewall on the drivers side. I drilled a hole the same size diameter as the tube. Installed a grommet. ran it in the engine bay. Installed a T between the fuel PSI regulator and its source for vacuum.( 95 RIV The gauge just has to be installed at this point to recieve a proper vacuum signal to make the gauge work properly and not just read vacuum, but boost as well) Ran the Noregen tube to it and, thats it.
I would take some more pics for you guys but have been kinda busy with some other projects and havent had the time to remove it. If iI get some time I will do it during the holidays. If anybody else has any questions or needs a hand please feel free to PM me. Thanks again
Back to top Go down
1995 Riv
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: In door recessed boost gauge for 95 Riviera.   In door recessed boost gauge for 95 Riviera. EmptySun Dec 14, 2008 1:50 pm

Thanks guys for the info.
Back to top Go down
98SuperRiv
98SuperRiv

Name : Bradley
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: In door recessed boost gauge for 95 Riviera.   In door recessed boost gauge for 95 Riviera. EmptyMon Dec 15, 2008 12:20 am

looks great dude
Back to top Go down
JD94SS
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: In door recessed boost gauge for 95 Riviera.   In door recessed boost gauge for 95 Riviera. EmptyThu Dec 18, 2008 1:54 pm

Thanks alot for the comments, I appreciate it.
Back to top Go down
captshiner
Junkie
captshiner

Name : Andrew
Merit : -1

PostSubject: Re: In door recessed boost gauge for 95 Riviera.   In door recessed boost gauge for 95 Riviera. EmptyThu Dec 18, 2008 2:25 pm

Did you drop the cold air kit down the fenderwell or is it sitting in the EC?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=572362129
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: In door recessed boost gauge for 95 Riviera.   In door recessed boost gauge for 95 Riviera. Empty

Back to top Go down

In door recessed boost gauge for 95 Riviera.
Page 1 of 1