Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

6 disc changer install

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Ironclad-454
Enthusiast
Ironclad-454

Name : Nate
Merit : 9

6 disc changer install Empty
PostSubject: 6 disc changer install   6 disc changer install EmptyWed Dec 17, 2008 7:52 pm

I know its kind of retro, but the CD player on the HU doesn't work and I have a 6 disc changer that I could install. I know that a remote CD changer was an option on these cars and am wondering how hard it would be to install this in the riv. I'm kinda on a fixed budget so I want to use this in loo of a new head unit since I already own it. Opinions and suggestions welcome.
Back to top Go down
mdhall1
mdhall1

Name : Matt
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: 6 disc changer install   6 disc changer install EmptyWed Dec 17, 2008 11:57 pm

My 95 doesn't have cd changer controls on the head unit. I'm guessing your doesn't either. You would have to connect through a FM modulator. This basically turns your cd sound into a FM signal and you tune your stereo to that signal. I put one in my Jeep and used 87.1 FM.
As far as a mounting location under the passenger seat is where i have mine fits great and is pretty convienient. It's a six disc but I put in a Alpine stereo that has Changer controls.
If you want specific install sugestions let me know what changer you have and what modulator you are planning to use. I've done alot of installs and may be able to help.
Back to top Go down
Ironclad-454
Enthusiast
Ironclad-454

PostSubject: Re: 6 disc changer install   6 disc changer install EmptyThu Dec 18, 2008 12:22 am

Its just a cheap Koss KCD-003A. Its kind of old I bought it years ago to put in another car but never did. It came with an FM modulator, controller, and mounting brackets. It has 2 frequencies 89.1 and 88.7mhz. I know very little about audio equipment, this is just until I can afford something better. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Ironclad-454 on Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:24 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : misspelling)
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: 6 disc changer install   6 disc changer install EmptyThu Dec 18, 2008 11:47 am

That makes it clearer.

You have to install the Koss CD unit, the controller and then tune your FM radio to the freq. you will use (most likely 88.7).

The OEM head unit will control a GM changer if you get the cable to run it.

If you do not have the instructions for the unit (I am guessing you don't else why would you post this) you are probably hosed. If you do you are probably in good shape, there should not be any surprises.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Ironclad-454
Enthusiast
Ironclad-454

PostSubject: Re: 6 disc changer install   6 disc changer install EmptyThu Dec 18, 2008 12:21 pm

I didn't have the instructions when I first posted, but I was able to find them in the closet this morning, so its off to to see if I can install it. Thanks albertj and mdhall1.

-Edit- To damned cold went out and the thermometer reads 19 degrees before the windchill nervous
Back to top Go down
dscott2000
Enthusiast
dscott2000

Name : Scott
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: 6 disc changer install   6 disc changer install EmptyThu Dec 18, 2008 4:05 pm

mdhall1 wrote:
My 95 doesn't have cd changer controls on the head unit. I'm guessing your doesn't either. You would have to connect through a FM modulator. This basically turns your cd sound into a FM signal and you tune your stereo to that signal. I put one in my Jeep and used 87.1 FM.
As far as a mounting location under the passenger seat is where i have mine fits great and is pretty convienient. It's a six disc but I put in a Alpine stereo that has Changer controls.
If you want specific install sugestions let me know what changer you have and what modulator you are planning to use. I've done alot of installs and may be able to help.

This will work! All you have to do is get a FM modulator for the CD changer itself. And then it should work out just fine.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3061543
sqrivi
Fanatic

Name : scott
Merit : 52

PostSubject: Re: 6 disc changer install   6 disc changer install EmptyFri Dec 19, 2008 12:06 am

You will need antenna adapters as well.
Back to top Go down
Ironclad-454
Enthusiast
Ironclad-454

PostSubject: Re: 6 disc changer install   6 disc changer install EmptyFri Dec 19, 2008 12:25 am

I have the FM modulator for the disc changer. I was able to borrow my dad's garage and stay out of the weather a little more, still a cold install. It works great, I just need to re-route some wires so the HU will fit back in its slot (its about an 1/8th inch to far out) I may just do away with the plastic behind it since I already had to cut a hole behind the HVAC controls to stash the Modulator. I'll try re-routing the wiring first and go from there. This isn't as involved as I first thought, I'm going to have to mount the changer in the trunk because of the electric seats there wasn't enough room to mount in the cabin itself, kind of a PITA but at least I have a CD player now.
Back to top Go down
Ironclad-454
Enthusiast
Ironclad-454

PostSubject: Re: 6 disc changer install   6 disc changer install EmptySat Dec 20, 2008 5:23 pm

Okay, I ran into a little snafu when I went to put everything back together, the controller came unplugged so I had to remove the modulator. I found a new head unit in RC yesterday when I went shopping so I just bit the bullet and bought it ($75plus tax) I pulled the 6-disc changer and installed it. I also cut the plastic behind it and cured the wire fitment issues for good. Thanks everyone for your help. I greatly appreciate it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 6 disc changer install   6 disc changer install Empty

Back to top Go down

6 disc changer install
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riv Performance ::   General Tech :: Audio & Electronics-
Jump to: