Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

will not shift into gear

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
BackfromtheDead
Special

Merit : 0

will not shift into gear Empty
PostSubject: will not shift into gear   will not shift into gear EmptySat Dec 20, 2008 4:23 pm

Hello gang, I have a 99 riv w/ about 190k miles. Its been sitting in the driveway for a couple days and today I go out to start it and it will not shift into any gear. I've had no other shifting problems with the trans.

I checked the cable and it has a good connection. Also I've noticed that there are a few bubbles (maybe water) on the dipstick.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: will not shift into gear   will not shift into gear EmptySat Dec 20, 2008 8:10 pm

Sounds like a problem with the shift interlock solenoid. Look for blown fuse first in the instrument panel fuse block. Should be marked "TMNSS" and be a 15 amp fuse.
When you step on brake, brake light switch is in the circuit and closes, providing a path for power also. Check your brake lights and see if they are working also. Could be a bad brake light switch. A wiring problem to the solenoid or a bad solenoid.
Back to top Go down
BackfromtheDead
Special

PostSubject: Re: will not shift into gear   will not shift into gear EmptySat Dec 20, 2008 8:38 pm

Well the fuse is good and the brake lights work.
How do I go about checking the soleniod or brakelight switch?
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: will not shift into gear   will not shift into gear EmptySat Dec 20, 2008 9:09 pm

Please clarify the problem for me.
When you attempt to shift, the shift lever won't move, is this correct ?
Or is the problem that the lever moves but the car doesn't.
Back to top Go down
BackfromtheDead
Special

PostSubject: Re: will not shift into gear   will not shift into gear EmptySun Dec 21, 2008 2:16 pm

The lever moves but it never locks into gear. The rpms change normally as before too.
Back to top Go down
BackfromtheDead
Special

PostSubject: Re: will not shift into gear   will not shift into gear EmptySun Dec 21, 2008 2:17 pm

I'm hoping that I just need the new soleniod within the transmission but is there an easy way to check it?
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: will not shift into gear   will not shift into gear EmptySun Dec 21, 2008 2:22 pm

Oh, I misunderstood your first post.
The shift interlock solenoid will prevent the shift lever from moving at all if that were the problem.
I do not know what would be causing the problem as you now describe it.
For me, I would have to have the Trans Shop pick it up and look at.
First make sure there is enough fluid in it.
I know you said you checked it and it looked like you had some condensation or water droplets on the dipstick, Unsure how water would have got in there other than being submerged in a large puddle ?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: will not shift into gear   will not shift into gear Empty

Back to top Go down

will not shift into gear
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riv Performance ::   Supercharged 3800 Tech :: Series II Engine & Transmission-
Jump to: