Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Silicone under hood

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
djlorenzana
djlorenzana

Name : Diego
Merit : 0

Silicone under hood Empty
PostSubject: Here are some engine pics after a thurough degreasing!!   Silicone under hood EmptyMon Sep 29, 2008 1:00 am

Hey guys I am sure you guys already do this or may think it is not a good thing to do but I used to live in Central america where salt is in the very humid air and we used to Silicone our engines in order to water proof them as storms down there would flood the streets quite often and if no silicone treatment and water got to plugs and other electrical compontes car would go caput... so I always degrease then silicone treat the engine it also makes it look really nice with little effort...

Silicone under hood Dscn2716
Silicone under hood Dscn2717
Silicone under hood Dscn2718
Silicone under hood Dscn2719
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Silicone under hood   Silicone under hood EmptyMon Sep 29, 2008 1:41 pm

Thanks for the comments about silicone on the engine and the leather cleaner/conditioner.

What brand silicone do you use on the engine, and how do you apply? that is, is is a spray or a grease, and do you use a towel to put it on or something else?

Albertj
Back to top Go down
djlorenzana
djlorenzana

Name : Diego
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Silicone under hood   Silicone under hood EmptyMon Sep 29, 2008 1:43 pm

I used CRC silicone spray and freely spray everything then use a microfiber and spry on the microfiber directly and use the microfiber on hard to spray areas and or areas that need more detail...
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Silicone under hood   Silicone under hood EmptyMon Sep 29, 2008 1:50 pm

Thanks!

CRC also sells a silicone gel they call "Di-Electric Grease" that is a few bucks for a pressurized container. I got a can at I think CarQuest, AutoZone or Advantage Auto - don't really remember... It is *great* for preserving the rubber weatherstripping. You can put a little on the microfiber towel and then rub it all over the rubber weatherstripping to preserve it like new. You do have to wipe the excess back off the window edges the next day. CRC silicone spray soaks into the rubber and keeps it soft too but does not give a surface protection. Either way - helps to wash (at least wipe off) the weatherstripping first.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Silicone under hood   Silicone under hood Empty

Back to top Go down

Silicone under hood
Page 1 of 1