Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

FAQ: Hesitation, Stutter(Studder), Shudder, Stumbling, on Acceleration/Load

Go down 
+55
Sir Psycho Sexy
joshuadalegrimes
bigdave
charlieRobinson
RivGuy
Lenrapkins
rivparadise
RidzRiv
sniperdude
RiverUPnGO
highwaywarrior
robotennis61
Brantea
LARRY70GS
dpmeeks
adri
Andysdorm
rk0ehn
Mikel
ZEP
Snowdog
Rickw
zombiesarebad
Chicken
Shintsu
dscott2000
1995 Riv
superchargedmoney
ibmoses
turtleman
cragmor
dreww
IBx1
ericde
TonySmooth89
T Riley
deekster_caddy
2toneRivi
BillBoost37
albertj
TType_Riviera
ewolfe0050
palermocorey90
oldsman105
jhodges
SpaceBar
Mr.Riviera
Jason
jax95riv
RIVhorsepwr
NO 4 EVR
AA
Brad95Riv
59 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10 ... 17  Next
AuthorMessage
2toneRivi

Name : Chris
Merit : 0

FAQ: Hesitation, Stutter(Studder), Shudder, Stumbling, on Acceleration/Load - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: pls help guys!!!! (hesitation)   FAQ: Hesitation, Stutter(Studder), Shudder, Stumbling, on Acceleration/Load - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 14, 2008 4:09 pm

ok now its been 1 week i have been trying to fix this problem.. and i gave up so i finaly took it to a mechanic.... here goes the story
so i tought i would chage the plugs and wires on my rivi so i did... for 2 days it was fine... but then when i got in the freeway whne i was hitting over 70mph.. the car seem to shake alot when i would press on the gas... i mean really shake and it wouldn accelerate nor the rpm would go up... then the SES light started flashing.... so i checked the plugs and wires and they where fine... i have sutolite 104s plugs and oem wires.... so i took off the laugs again and wires.. did eveyrhting again.. and still the same problem... now it makes dis loud noise like in the engine close to the supercharger.. LOUD noise.... so i took it to a mechanic near where i live.. on the way over there it was worst.. on the red light my car shakes alot.. almost like it wants to turn off..then when i accelerate.. it shakes like hell then takes off then .. when i press on the gass it shakes and doesnt want to take off and the SES light comes flashing again.. and makes and even louder noise..The worst part is that i just called my mechanic and he said he checked the wires and plugs.. he said they where fine.. he said that he thinks its the supercharger but i highly doubt the supercharger wont let my car accelerate and would make it shake like that.. pls help!!
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

FAQ: Hesitation, Stutter(Studder), Shudder, Stumbling, on Acceleration/Load - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Hesitation, Stutter(Studder), Shudder, Stumbling, on Acceleration/Load   FAQ: Hesitation, Stutter(Studder), Shudder, Stumbling, on Acceleration/Load - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 14, 2008 4:17 pm

it's possible you are dealing with a bad supercharger tensioner, take the SC belt off and see if the tensioner swings freely and has some good resistance on it. Watch it from under the hood with a quick heavy throttle blast at idle and see if the belt tensioner moves normally.

It sure sounds like plugs and wires or a spark problem though, maybe you have a coilpack going south on you? You should get a PCM code for an ignition problem though.

Here's another thing to try: Take the S/C belt off (you can't take it off completely because it's threaded through that side engine bracket). Don't worry, the car will run just fine with no S/C belt, it'll just be slower. Try all kinds of throttle positions. If it's smooth, your problem lies in the S/C.

My guess is still ignition, because you said it now runs poorly at idle, there is no S/C use at idle.

I cracked a spark plug while installing it and had a problem similar to what you are describing.
Back to top Go down
2toneRivi

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Hesitation, Stutter(Studder), Shudder, Stumbling, on Acceleration/Load   FAQ: Hesitation, Stutter(Studder), Shudder, Stumbling, on Acceleration/Load - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 14, 2008 4:26 pm

eyah my mechanic said it was the supercharger tensioner.. but i tought it was weird that as soon as i changed the plugs and wires this happened... yeaH I TOUGHT ABPUT TAKING IT TO AUTOZONE TO SCAN IT... I HAVE NOT DONE IT YET..^^ thanks alot for your input.. i will try that todaY...
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Hesitation, Stutter(Studder), Shudder, Stumbling, on Acceleration/Load   FAQ: Hesitation, Stutter(Studder), Shudder, Stumbling, on Acceleration/Load - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 14, 2008 4:28 pm

2toneRivi wrote:
eyah my mechanic said it was the supercharger tensioner.. but i tought it was weird that as soon as i changed the plugs and wires this happened... yeaH I TOUGHT ABPUT TAKING IT TO AUTOZONE TO SCAN IT... I HAVE NOT DONE IT YET..^^ thanks alot for your input.. i will try that todaY...

is there a SES light (service engine soon) >?
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
2toneRivi

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Hesitation, Stutter(Studder), Shudder, Stumbling, on Acceleration/Load   FAQ: Hesitation, Stutter(Studder), Shudder, Stumbling, on Acceleration/Load - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 14, 2008 4:38 pm

yeah!!!
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Hesitation, Stutter(Studder), Shudder, Stumbling, on Acceleration/Load   FAQ: Hesitation, Stutter(Studder), Shudder, Stumbling, on Acceleration/Load - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 14, 2008 4:41 pm

2toneRivi wrote:
yeah!!!

well yah get er' scanned and let us know the code man.......... happy
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Hesitation, Stutter(Studder), Shudder, Stumbling, on Acceleration/Load   FAQ: Hesitation, Stutter(Studder), Shudder, Stumbling, on Acceleration/Load - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 14, 2008 9:54 pm

Quote :
Take the S/C belt off (you can't take it off completely because it's threaded through that side engine bracket). Don't worry, the car will run just fine with no S/C belt, it'll just be slower. Try all kinds of throttle positions. If it's smooth, your problem lies in the S/C.

Not necessarily true. If it's ignition related (I think it is), when you run without the blower belt there will be no boost, so the PCM will not engage the higher spark tables. If the problem only occurs under load (in boost) it doesn't mean the blower is the problem; it probably means the wires, coil, or plugs are bad. You can't always tell by inspection, or by resistance. If any part is old, it should be replaced, starting with the least expensive components.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
2toneRivi

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Hesitation, Stutter(Studder), Shudder, Stumbling, on Acceleration/Load   FAQ: Hesitation, Stutter(Studder), Shudder, Stumbling, on Acceleration/Load - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 14, 2008 10:10 pm

^^ THANKS AARON.. yeah i just went to autozone and i have to borrow the obd2scanner.. so tomorrow im going to go for it... but im looking at my ignition coil.. and its the stock ones.. and the car has 125k miles on it... they have the msd coils at autozone for 46 bucks each one.. i think im going to go ahead and buy them.. what u guys think??
Back to top Go down
ewolfe0050
Aficionado
ewolfe0050

Name : Eric
Merit : 27

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Hesitation, Stutter(Studder), Shudder, Stumbling, on Acceleration/Load   FAQ: Hesitation, Stutter(Studder), Shudder, Stumbling, on Acceleration/Load - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 14, 2008 10:22 pm

Go OEM. From what everybody says, they're the best.
Back to top Go down
2toneRivi

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Hesitation, Stutter(Studder), Shudder, Stumbling, on Acceleration/Load   FAQ: Hesitation, Stutter(Studder), Shudder, Stumbling, on Acceleration/Load - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 14, 2008 10:24 pm

hey mann im tired of searching it... whats PCM?
Back to top Go down
TonySmooth89
Aficionado
TonySmooth89

Name : Anthony
Merit : 16

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Hesitation, Stutter(Studder), Shudder, Stumbling, on Acceleration/Load   FAQ: Hesitation, Stutter(Studder), Shudder, Stumbling, on Acceleration/Load - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 14, 2008 10:39 pm

Pcm is powertrain control module..controls shift points , Air fuel ratios , ignition timing etc.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Hesitation, Stutter(Studder), Shudder, Stumbling, on Acceleration/Load   FAQ: Hesitation, Stutter(Studder), Shudder, Stumbling, on Acceleration/Load - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 14, 2008 10:52 pm

I didn't make it clear in the above post... I'd still recommend running with the belt off. If the symptoms disappear, there's a good possibility it's spark-related.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
BillBoost37
Junkie

Merit : 26

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Hesitation, Stutter(Studder), Shudder, Stumbling, on Acceleration/Load   FAQ: Hesitation, Stutter(Studder), Shudder, Stumbling, on Acceleration/Load - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 15, 2008 9:59 am

The symptoms especially the flashing check engine light lead to something ignition related.

I would check all plugs to see how they are burning and also check all the coils.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Hesitation, Stutter(Studder), Shudder, Stumbling, on Acceleration/Load   FAQ: Hesitation, Stutter(Studder), Shudder, Stumbling, on Acceleration/Load - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 15, 2008 10:54 am

AZ should be able to read the codes in their parking lot in two minutes.
Back to top Go down
2toneRivi

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Hesitation, Stutter(Studder), Shudder, Stumbling, on Acceleration/Load   FAQ: Hesitation, Stutter(Studder), Shudder, Stumbling, on Acceleration/Load - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 15, 2008 11:11 am

yeah they did not want too.. they say i have to leave 1 170 dollar deposit to borrow the scanner .. and ill get my deposit back once i return it,... just to make sure.. the front plugs are 1-3-5- from passenger to driver side.. and back plugs 2-4-6 from passenger to driver right???
Back to top Go down
2toneRivi

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Hesitation, Stutter(Studder), Shudder, Stumbling, on Acceleration/Load   FAQ: Hesitation, Stutter(Studder), Shudder, Stumbling, on Acceleration/Load - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 15, 2008 11:16 am

i have been driving my 72 cutlass for about 2 weeks.. and i already pumped about 250 dollars of gas... just going to work.. i need to fix my rivi asap.. lol
Back to top Go down
BillBoost37
Junkie

Merit : 26

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Hesitation, Stutter(Studder), Shudder, Stumbling, on Acceleration/Load   FAQ: Hesitation, Stutter(Studder), Shudder, Stumbling, on Acceleration/Load - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 15, 2008 1:43 pm

You are correct on the plug locations.
Back to top Go down
2toneRivi

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Hesitation, Stutter(Studder), Shudder, Stumbling, on Acceleration/Load   FAQ: Hesitation, Stutter(Studder), Shudder, Stumbling, on Acceleration/Load - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 15, 2008 10:46 pm

i got the code!! its P0300.. it says random/multiple cylinders misfire.. what yall think what can i do??
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Hesitation, Stutter(Studder), Shudder, Stumbling, on Acceleration/Load   FAQ: Hesitation, Stutter(Studder), Shudder, Stumbling, on Acceleration/Load - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 15, 2008 10:50 pm

2toneRivi wrote:
i got the code!! its P0300.. it says random/multiple cylinders misfire.. what yall think what can i do??

which cylinder was the culprit of the misfire.......... mine was number 4 ( rear middle) i hated that cylinder, i wish it would die....... AHHHHHHH or not nervous nervous nervous
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Hesitation, Stutter(Studder), Shudder, Stumbling, on Acceleration/Load   FAQ: Hesitation, Stutter(Studder), Shudder, Stumbling, on Acceleration/Load - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 15, 2008 11:09 pm

a faulty MAF can cause random missfires and the symptoms you're describing. have you cleaned it recently?

Back to top Go down
2toneRivi

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Hesitation, Stutter(Studder), Shudder, Stumbling, on Acceleration/Load   FAQ: Hesitation, Stutter(Studder), Shudder, Stumbling, on Acceleration/Load - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 16, 2008 12:06 am

got.. it.... it was cylinder #6.. and i think my coil is not working properly....hey caN I ONLY CHANGE ONE SPARK PLUG... OR DO I HAVE TO CHANGE ALL OF THEM... SPARK PLUG NUMBER 6 LOOKS BURNED OUT
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Hesitation, Stutter(Studder), Shudder, Stumbling, on Acceleration/Load   FAQ: Hesitation, Stutter(Studder), Shudder, Stumbling, on Acceleration/Load - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 16, 2008 12:10 am

they are only 1.50 each might as well change them all, unless they are new and you're sure they are in good condition.

Back to top Go down
2toneRivi

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Hesitation, Stutter(Studder), Shudder, Stumbling, on Acceleration/Load   FAQ: Hesitation, Stutter(Studder), Shudder, Stumbling, on Acceleration/Load - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 16, 2008 12:48 am

yeah i just changed them all... and its set.. just trest drove it and its fine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thanks aloot... and that mechanic tried to make me change my supercharger tensioner... and no i havent cleaned my MAF sensor... i dont know how to take it off.. honeslty this is the first time im doing some mechanical work ohter than changeing the brakes.... thanks for all ur help!!
Back to top Go down
ericde
Enthusiast
ericde

Merit : 1

PostSubject: whats wrong with my riv (weak accel)   FAQ: Hesitation, Stutter(Studder), Shudder, Stumbling, on Acceleration/Load - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 25, 2008 12:47 am

i have question about the response of my riv.why is it when i floor it it has a weak response any 1 else had this before please help thanks
Back to top Go down
TonySmooth89
Aficionado
TonySmooth89

Name : Anthony
Merit : 16

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Hesitation, Stutter(Studder), Shudder, Stumbling, on Acceleration/Load   FAQ: Hesitation, Stutter(Studder), Shudder, Stumbling, on Acceleration/Load - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 25, 2008 12:48 am

what year ? what type of engine? and what kind of fuel are you using?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Hesitation, Stutter(Studder), Shudder, Stumbling, on Acceleration/Load   FAQ: Hesitation, Stutter(Studder), Shudder, Stumbling, on Acceleration/Load - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

FAQ: Hesitation, Stutter(Studder), Shudder, Stumbling, on Acceleration/Load
Page 3 of 17Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10 ... 17  Next