Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

GM radio security codes.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
mayfair4life187
mayfair4life187

Name : Bill
Merit : 0

GM radio security codes. Empty
PostSubject: Radio Security Lock   GM radio security codes. EmptyWed Aug 08, 2007 8:19 pm

i installed a new battery in my car today. and now my radio says LOC. i tried 000 and it doesnt work. does any1 know how to bypass the security code?
Back to top Go down
steel2040

Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: GM radio security codes.   GM radio security codes. EmptyThu Aug 09, 2007 8:04 am

is it the orginal stock radio? if so get your vin number and call the dealrship they should be able to give you the security code.
Back to top Go down
Sweepspear
Fanatic
Sweepspear

Name : Dale
Merit : 11

PostSubject: GM radio security codes.   GM radio security codes. EmptySun Feb 01, 2009 9:52 am

The factory radio and CD player in my Riv really sucks.
The head unit will only play certain CDs, even a brand new one is not immune to being rejected. And the slightest disturbance will make it skip. Sometimes it goes nuts when you get towards the last few songs on a CD.
(On a road trip this weekend, it created a very interesting interpretation of a Black Sabbath song. shocked )

Any ways, until I can afford to get a good after market system, I am thinking of getting another stock unit off of eBay for example.
But, will I have issues with security codes if I replace it with a unit that came out of another car?
If so, how do I go about solving them?

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: GM radio security codes.   GM radio security codes. EmptySun Feb 01, 2009 10:44 am

Hey Dale,

look at this thread:

https://rivperformance.editboard.com/audio-electronics-f7/help-me-pick-a-new-head-unit-and-speakers-please-t3812.htm

The head unit was $250 and it will work with the factory speakers if you don't want to put the whole system in that I did. I can't get over how happy I am with it. It also adds a bluetooth handsfree to the system, it has a remote mic and uses the front speakers. An awesome head unit and worth the installation effort.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: GM radio security codes.   GM radio security codes. EmptySun Feb 01, 2009 10:45 am

Dale, try using a CD lens cleaner before you give up on the factory CD player!!

edit: something like this:
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/products/2002/170/h170CDAUTO-fp.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.crutchfield.com/ISEO-rgbtcspd/p_170CDAUTO/Maxell-CD-AUTO.html&usg=__2DJZFrzUP3ckqDRnb4JbQ4qevNE=&h=245&w=450&sz=16&hl=en&start=56&um=1&tbnid=n68G8albCNY50M:&tbnh=69&tbnw=127&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dcd%2Blens%2Bcleaner%26start%3D54%26ndsp%3D18%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26sa%3DN
Back to top Go down
Sweepspear
Fanatic
Sweepspear

PostSubject: Re: GM radio security codes.   GM radio security codes. EmptySun Feb 01, 2009 1:44 pm

Thanks.
I read that thread before on what you went with, and am thinking of going that same route when the time comes. thumbsup

I bought that exact same head cleaner a couple of months ago, and despite using it several times, it won't cure what ails this player.
It's just mechanically shot.

You know, I sold my Park Ave to my son when I bought this Riv, and I took my good speakers out of it first and put the stock ones back in.
But, I told him he could keep the Pioneer Supertuner I had in the car.
What a mistake! headshot
This factory piece in the Riv has such dull sound in comparison. Seems it's lacking in mid range, and the bass is nowhere near as clean.
I guess I got spoiled by being able to adjust every aspect of the sound to my ear with that Supertuner.

I'm not into sub woofers and all that. In some respects I think some of those systems sound like shit. Maybe it's the music being played, I don't know.

I come from a time when Bass was supposed to be hard and tight, not reverberating and distorted.

Sometimes a simple system comprised of decent quality components is best.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: GM radio security codes.   GM radio security codes. EmptySun Feb 01, 2009 4:23 pm

Sweepspear wrote:
I'm not into sub woofers and all that. In some respects I think some of those systems sound like shit. Maybe it's the music being played, I don't know.

I come from a time when Bass was supposed to be hard and tight, not reverberating and distorted.

Sometimes a simple system comprised of decent quality components is best.

I used to love subwoofers, but not anymore. I have got to say the bass is more than adequate from the speakers I put in. It's obvious they aren't subwoofers, but sounds good and tight and can handle any volume I want to tolerate.
Back to top Go down
Sweepspear
Fanatic
Sweepspear

PostSubject: Re: GM radio security codes.   GM radio security codes. EmptyMon Feb 02, 2009 9:45 am

So, no one can give me insight on my original question regarding security codes? poke
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: GM radio security codes.   GM radio security codes. EmptyMon Feb 02, 2009 4:26 pm

If the radio's security feature is unlocked before Bat power is disconnected from the radio, you will be alright.
So, if you buy from somebody on e-bay make sure you can return it if necessary or if you can trust them to unlock the unit.
Otherwise it should be plug-n-play.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: GM radio security codes.   GM radio security codes. Empty

Back to top Go down

GM radio security codes.
Page 1 of 1