Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options

Go down 
+64
EyeDoc1
nickwon
High Chaparral
jbird
skatterbrane
Oldschool79
LARRY70GS
brettfavreisamonster
RvieraRider
KnottyEagle
Abaddon
69GSColorado
matt270avian
Johnny5
al_roethlisberger
pbrktrt
charlieRobinson
highwaywarrior
The Roadmaster
ZEP
Z-type
billy1290
RidzRiv
werdstrave
DEMonte1997
97 park ave
BMD
Jamax
crlombardi69
turtleman
J. Chris Davis
robotennis61
manofmany
Derek
bullseye-shawn
VJD2
brian10962001
Lumenstein98
Ash
Eldo
texasfan010
Mr.Riviera
TonySmooth89
curious riv
97rivsc
EASHER
Rickw
Natesriv
'96reese
Buapo
Joey98riv
Fuzzy
deekster_caddy
albertj
Jack the R
SpaceBar
dreww
1998rivman
SilveR
AA
1998 Riv
jhodges
68 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
AuthorMessage
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options - Page 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options   FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options - Page 14 EmptyFri Jul 03, 2015 11:35 am

Karma wrote:
Whats the difference left to right? Weird to have a $1.38 difference.

The position of the upper mount and the air fitting. If you tried putting the left on the right (or vice versa) the fitting would be facing forward instead of rearward.

I drove the car after installation. They aren't mush at all. When I set the car down, with no air in the system, the car was at normal ride height. I actually think there may be a spring inside. When compressed, it goes right back to fully extended unlike a standard shock that takes a few seconds.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options   FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options - Page 14 EmptyFri Jul 03, 2015 3:53 pm

Nice find. They do look like a better quality part.

I've noticed Rockauto's pricing isn't always consistent. The price difference between L/R shocks is coincidental. I think I paid $5 less for my left control arm compared to the right. A month later, the prices could reverse.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

Name : Charlie
Merit : 31

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options   FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options - Page 14 EmptyFri Jul 03, 2015 4:12 pm

If '07 max -air- like air shocks fit then this airless conversion should fit too?

http://www.strutmasters.com/products/2006-2011-buick-lucerne-rear-air-suspension-conversion-kit-cl1rb/

FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options - Page 14 Media
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options   FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options - Page 14 EmptyFri Jul 03, 2015 4:28 pm

AA wrote:
Nice find. They do look like a better quality part.

Thanks! I took it out of the box and went  scratch  I didn't even know they existed lol.

charlieRobinson wrote:
If '07 max -air- like air shocks fit then this airless conversion should fit too?

Yep. Mounting all looks the same from the pics! Lucerne is our exact car underneath. I have quite a few pics of the suspension/underside of Lucernes....basically for my own research. Totally not related, but I think I'm going to get a cradle out of a 3.8L '07 Lucerne. Use the control arms and everything. Very beefy.
I just have to measure the track (width) first.[/quote]
Back to top Go down
KnottyEagle
Fanatic
KnottyEagle

Name : Daymon
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options   FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options - Page 14 EmptySun Jul 26, 2015 12:00 am

Do Oldsmobile Aurora (the first generation) struts fit in these cars?
Back to top Go down
KnottyEagle
Fanatic
KnottyEagle

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options   FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options - Page 14 EmptyMon Jul 27, 2015 4:32 pm

KnottyEagle wrote:
Do Oldsmobile Aurora (the first generation) struts fit in these cars?
I guess we'll find out. They're both G-Bodies, weigh pretty much the same, and are exactly the same length so I'm lead to believe they will.
Back to top Go down
RvieraRider

Name : Curtis
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options   FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options - Page 14 EmptyMon Jul 27, 2015 4:53 pm

KnottyEagle according to Oriellys the strut assemblies are not the same. The only compatible struts that can be used are from a 98-99 Riviera or a 98-2005 Park Avenue. I hope this helps. I would like to change mine too, I saw a good pair at the yard, I know they are now new, but right now I'm strapped for cash and anything is better than the rusted ones I have.
Back to top Go down
KnottyEagle
Fanatic
KnottyEagle

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options   FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options - Page 14 EmptyMon Jul 27, 2015 6:35 pm

The reason I ask is because these ones were basically brand new and I got a deal on them. I have trouble justifying a brand new pair of struts when I'm going to be leaving for awhile without my car. I also need new tires and an alignment, but there's no point in getting either of those when the struts are bad. I suspect they're original, but I can't tell.

EDIT: The junkyard had the Aurora struts compatible with the Riviera, but websites like Rockauto don't have them compatible. I wonder why that would be. Maybe they were compatible from the factory, but aftermarket options aren't?
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

Name : Matt
Merit : 54

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options   FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options - Page 14 EmptyMon Jul 27, 2015 6:56 pm

RvieraRider wrote:
but right now I'm strapped for cash and anything is better than the rusted ones I have.

From my experiences junkyards usually charge a lot for struts, especially since most don't let you separate them from the springs/top mounts. It might actually be cheaper (or around the same price) for you to buy new struts/mounts and reuse everything else. Right now RockAuto/Monroe has a deal where you buy 4 shocks/struts and get 20% of your purchase price back in a gift card. It comes out to $143.57 plus $39.05 shipping (to my zip code, may vary for yours) for the struts/shocks. You would end up with a gift card worth $28.71. Offer expires 7/31.

EDIT: I noticed the admin made a mistake in merging these threads (KnottyEagle's name is shown twice). Admin can feel free to delete this edit after it's fixed.
Back to top Go down
RvieraRider

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options   FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options - Page 14 EmptyMon Jul 27, 2015 7:15 pm

If the struts are from a 97 Aurora then the mount will be different. The mounts are the same for 98-98-2001-2003 model years, according to oriellys the actual struts are not the compatible for any model year of the Aurora.

I have brought struts from junk yards before, not saying that they are best, but they run about 30 bucks for the assembly. Not too bad if your on a tight budget.
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options   FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options - Page 14 EmptyMon Jul 27, 2015 7:22 pm

RvieraRider wrote:
but they run about 30 bucks for the assembly.

Around here they go for ~70-90 per assembly at certain yards. ONE yard charges 20/assembly but they specialize in imports, don't have too many American cars.
Back to top Go down
KnottyEagle
Fanatic
KnottyEagle

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options   FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options - Page 14 EmptyMon Jul 27, 2015 7:41 pm

I got these struts with the top mount and everything put together for $45 each + tax. They're from a 1998 Aurora.
Back to top Go down
RvieraRider

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options   FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options - Page 14 EmptyMon Jul 27, 2015 7:41 pm

Sorry to hear that. The going rate down hear is about 25 to 30 bucks. But we have a lot of junk yards here. We have 3 pullaparts and several smaller junk yards. I was seeing Rivieras every time I went when I didn't have one, now that I have one. I can't find one.
Back to top Go down
RvieraRider

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options   FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options - Page 14 EmptyMon Jul 27, 2015 7:45 pm

If they are from a 98 the mounts will work, but strut are not the same. It be something as minor as the bolt they used. If you really want to use them the only thing that you can do is just try it and see if it works. Good luck, I hope it works out for you.
Back to top Go down
KnottyEagle
Fanatic
KnottyEagle

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options   FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options - Page 14 EmptyMon Jul 27, 2015 7:49 pm

RvieraRider wrote:
If they are from a 98 the mounts will work, but strut are not the same. It be something as minor as the bolt they used. If you really want to use them the only thing that you can do is just try it and see if it works. Good luck, I hope it works out for you.
I'm not concerned about the strut being different because anything at this point is better than the struts currently on the car. The mount holes look the same and look to be the same distance apart so I think It's worth a shot.
Back to top Go down
KnottyEagle
Fanatic
KnottyEagle

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options   FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options - Page 14 EmptyMon Aug 03, 2015 10:17 pm

Well, got around to throwing in the "new old" struts and there's a world of difference. I can actually throw the Riv around in the corners and there's no more obnoxious clunking coming from the front right. Braking feels fantastic now that the car doesn't nose dive. Ride height was raised about an inch on both sides, but I'm sure that was just from the old struts being so worn out. I could actually compress the struts with my hands. One of the coils from the spring had actually broken off too.

I was really worried about the "new" struts making it look like a monster truck, but I'll warm up to the slightly heightened look. I'll take all of the other positives from this job over the looks any day. Now It's time for some new tires and an alignment!
Back to top Go down
brettfavreisamonster
Amateur
brettfavreisamonster

Name : Huynh

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options   FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options - Page 14 EmptyFri Dec 11, 2015 12:43 am

Hey guys, going to do the struts for the first time in my 97' riv. It has more than 190k on the original struts and tires started blowing chunks at 185k. What do i need? New struts (of course), new strut mounts and what else? what brand of strut mounts do u guys recommend (delco, kyb, monroe, or moog)? what struts do u recommend (delco or kyb)?
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options   FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options - Page 14 EmptyFri Dec 11, 2015 8:01 am

I used the Gabriel ready strut. Others had problems with the car sitting up too much in the front. I did not, at least not with the Gabriels.

https://rivperformance.editboard.com/t9615p75-monroe-quick-strut-complete-strut-assembly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options   FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options - Page 14 EmptyThu Dec 24, 2015 12:55 pm

Hey guys, just found out something interesting someone can try if they want to be a pioneer. When I was doing the rear shocks in my BMW (2002 325xi Sedan) I tried one of the shocks from my old coilover setup on the Riv, and guess what? They fit almost perfectly! The mounting hole was exactly the same size, the rod was the same diameter, almost the same length, etc. If someone made brackets to mount the bottom of the shock to the control arm (see the coilover thread for examples) pretty much any rear E46 shock should work. Have fun experimenting! I would have no problem shipping a shock or two out to someone who wanted to experiment.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options   FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options - Page 14 EmptyThu Dec 24, 2015 2:26 pm

matt270avian wrote:
Hey guys, just found out something interesting someone can try if they want to be a pioneer. When I was doing the rear shocks in my BMW (2002 325xi Sedan) I tried one of the shocks from my old coilover setup on the Riv, and guess what? They fit almost perfectly! The mounting hole was exactly the same size, the rod was the same diameter, almost the same length, etc. If someone made brackets to mount the bottom of the shock to the control arm (see the coilover thread for examples) pretty much any rear E46 shock should work. Have fun experimenting! I would have no problem shipping a shock or two out to someone who wanted to experiment.

Thats interesting.I love stumbling across stuff like that
Back to top Go down
brettfavreisamonster
Amateur
brettfavreisamonster

Name : Huynh

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options   FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options - Page 14 EmptyWed Jan 27, 2016 11:33 pm

LARRY70GS wrote:
I used the Gabriel ready strut.  Others had problems with the car sitting up too much in the front.  I did not, at least not with the Gabriels.

https://rivperformance.editboard.com/t9615p75-monroe-quick-strut-complete-strut-assembly

i have a 97 and those wont work...
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options   FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options - Page 14 EmptyWed Jan 27, 2016 11:40 pm

brettfavreisamonster wrote:

LARRY70GS wrote:
I used the Gabriel ready strut.  Others had problems with the car sitting up too much in the front.  I did not, at least not with the Gabriels.

i have a 97 and those wont work...

Dang it!
Back to top Go down
Oldschool79
Special

Name : Oldschool79

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options   FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options - Page 14 EmptyFri Mar 11, 2016 3:42 pm

SilveR wrote:
I have experience of installation Monroes Sensa-Trac on a different cars – without claims.
Quite decent quality.   thumbsup

To the Riviera I've replaced my old struts with AcDelco and not satisfied … neutral
It would be better to get Monroe or genuine GM (it’s a pity, that the KYB does not exist for 97  frown  )
Back to top Go down
Oldschool79
Special

Name : Oldschool79

PostSubject: will ready struts for a 98 fit a 97 ?? help   FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options - Page 14 EmptyFri Mar 11, 2016 3:49 pm

Good afternoon.  I am new to the site and am trying to get the hang of it. I  am the proud owner of a 1997 Riviera with 62,000 original miles. I have a question about the Front struts.  I  have been up and down the Internet trying to find  ready struts for my 97 . No dice.  Dose anyone know where I can get a set of ready struts for my 97? 2nd question will the struts from a 98 Riviera work on a 97? What is the difference between 97  and 98-99 struts?  Thanks for your time!
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options   FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options - Page 14 EmptyFri Mar 11, 2016 4:19 pm

The strut mount on the 97 has different attachment spacing than the 98-99. In addition, the 98-99 uses bolts where the 97 uses nuts. The mount actually has studs. It's a shame because the loaded struts make the job so quick and easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options   FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options - Page 14 Empty

Back to top Go down

FAQ: Shocks & Struts Options
Page 14 of 16Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next